Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2012, 23:19   #3481
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Bam Bam thank you Maam outside my house by a drunkard.....ruined my entire experience of owning a perfectly sparkling car....the tail light is broken too

Drove Maruti 800 in full throttle, hit a bike to break his leg (which also diverted him from crashing bang in center of my Civic from right side), brushed Civic as per the picture and crashed in neighbours wall. Came out of the car, had a few broken teeth and glass in the eye and blood dripping down the ear, my father helped him to a hospital. More than damages to my car for which of course he had no money as the car was a borrowed one, the question I was left with, Is life that cheap for many of them out there?

Old 23rd June 2012, 12:15   #3482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Manim

In case you drove through rough roads,How has been the PLC performance on those kind of roads? Did they get punctured frequently/Damaged while driving on Rough roads/Village roads?
I am very satisfied with the PLC. I have driven over rough roads but always careful and take them at slow speeds. Mostly my drive is on the highways and as the PLC is a premium tyre meant for high speed touring, it serves my purpose.

And here are my exact puncture details (5 years/1,10,000 kms):
1st @ 46,469 kms
2nd @ 50,837 kms
3rd @ 51,768 kms
4th @ 77,549 kms
All four were on the MXV8 and NOT on the PLC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
It's time to change brake pads on my car (not sure if discs also need replacement).
Same here, I too might have to replace front-brake-pads which have already done 70K so far. Maybe the discs too need replacement (There is a very mild tremor when braking), I have not decided yet as they (disc) are expensive(quoted around 7K inc labour).

I will be doing my 1,10,000 kms routine service in a few days time and will post details here.

Last edited by manim : 23rd June 2012 at 12:18.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 17:57   #3483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I have not decided yet as they (disc) are expensive(quoted around 7K inc labour).
Was this a recent quote , the below post mentioned 5k.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2802938
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:16   #3484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Was this a recent quote , the below post mentioned 5k.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2802938
Front-brake-disc pair replacement:

Well, this was an 'upper-limit' quoted over phone (including labour and taxes).
I believe it will be actually around 6K+ only.

During my 40K service it was only around 5K, in April 2009. So I expect rates to be much higher now (inflation, rupee-devalued, etc).
The exact rate on my 40K bill w/o-taxes, w/o-labour is only Rs.3,979.14.

Last edited by manim : 23rd June 2012 at 18:18.
Old 24th June 2012, 19:30   #3485
BHPian

In a H.A.S.S., what will be the price quote of full head swap (with all valves and cam). I have been quoted 28,000 by an independent vendor (donor is a 2008 CIVIC that was rear ended and totalled) ? He says same work at H.A.S.S. will be close to a lac.

Also, there was a grr-grr noise due to pre-tensioner failure. The independent mechanic was offering the auto tensioner from the same donor car for 8,000 (says H.A.S.S. will charge 23,000 - Called up H.A.S.S. - said its 7,000 but not sure about the price). Drove to Dakshin Honda (Begur road), and they said I need to fix a service appointment, only then they will give a quote after mechanics start servicing the car.

I don't mind taking it to the H.A.S.S., but want the head and tensioner swap done at independent mechanic to cut down on service costs.

Some background:
Its a 2006 August AT civic (for my wife), purchased this June for 6 lacs (50k on odo). At the time of purchase I did not know there was a head job done. Mechanic told that the head may have cracked due to driving without coolant as there was engine oil in radiator (by the previous owner). The head was repaired, but side effects were poor FE (6.5 kmpl) compared to 8 kmpl. Auto tensioner seems to be a manufacturing issue but since the previous owner was not diligent enough with his services, I might be okay spending 7-10k on auto tensioner irrespective of honda not replacing at goodwill/warranty.
Old 24th June 2012, 20:57   #3486
BANNED

@devsoftech; expect about 1.5 to 2x min at the A$$ (could be more). You may be able to pick up a head in perfect condition from the scrap market.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 23:00   #3487
BHPian

Post 45000 Km service, after a 10 KM drive, I noticed a burning smell from the hood (driver side).Checked inside the hood, cant find any leaks.Temp gauge reading was normal.What could the smell be due to? Did however notice something oily on the battery (may be they spilled something while checking the battery).
Old 25th June 2012, 12:58   #3488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Did however notice something oily on the battery (may be they spilled something while checking the battery).
This could be the routine maintenance activity of applying petroleum-jelly to the battery contacts, a good thing.

I don't know about the smell though.
Old 27th June 2012, 09:59   #3489
BHPian

When braking from a speed of say atleast 60-70 kmph, I experience a lot of juddering from the steering wheel. The Honda SA directed this fault to the steering pump failure. We replaced it but the problem is still not solved. Could there be any other issue, we overlooked?
Our Civic(automatic) is an 07 make, and been driven for approximately 110000 km.
Old 27th June 2012, 10:34   #3490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
When braking from a speed of say atleast 60-70 kmph, I experience a lot of juddering from the steering wheel. The Honda SA directed this fault to the steering pump failure. We replaced it but the problem is still not solved. Could there be any other issue, we overlooked?
Our Civic(automatic) is an 07 make, and been driven for approximately 110000 km.
I presume brake discs and pads have been checked and are ok?
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 10:44   #3491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I presume brake discs and pads have been checked and are ok?
As my far as my knowledge goes, the brakes were fine.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:11   #3492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Does it happen only at 60 -70 kmph? What about braking from 90 kmph?
- Does it happen only when braking? What about just cruising at 60 - 70 kmph?

My best guess is that front discs are warped and bent out of shape.

My second best guess is that the alloys are bent (after 110,000 kms, that's quite likely). But then, if that was the case, the steering should judder even while cruising at a particular speed. See if that happens.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 11:22   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
When braking from a speed of say atleast 60-70 kmph, I experience a lot of juddering from the steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
My best guess is that front discs are warped and bent out of shape.
+1 to smartcat, I had exactly the same problem and it was solved after the front-brake-disc's were replaced.

I have booked an appointment for my 1,10,000 kms service tomorrow.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 11:26   #3494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was facing exactly this problem and have been able to solve it by skimming the disks and changing the brake pads.

Before you do this please ensure that your tyres are in good shape, wheel balancing and alignment is perfect. If yes, just follow the above and your problem will be solved.

Disks will have to be replaced only if they have already been skimmed a few times.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 27th June 2012 at 11:27.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 11:34   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
It's time to change brake pads on my car (not sure if discs also need replacement). If discs need replacement, then I will go for Brembo blanks. They definitely need skimming.

I am planning to upgrade Axxis ULT instead of OE brake pads. Not that I am unhappy with the OEM stuff, but Axxis is considered an upgrade and seems to be cheaper than what Honda quotes. I am planning to get these from US.

Now few questions:
1. How to determine what size/model pads will fit for Indian Civic? (will it be same as US Civic sedans, I doubt though)?
2. Will honda dealership put aftermarket pads if I provide them?
3. Any idea at what thickness of discs does it needs replacement?
Any one knows answer to the 1st question?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks