Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:55   #3361
BHPian

Goa Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Good to know the logs were of help to you.
Where are the pictures of the Civvy from the highways?
Soon! Will try to spend time cataloging the pictures this weekend. If too lazy to start my own travelogue will at-least post some photos here and on the 'Bangalore to Goa' thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...goa-route.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Could you please update the cost for the Michelin PLC's. Have been hearing that tyre cost have really gone up recently. Also are the tyres the stock size or have you uprated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
How much did the tyres cost you ? Also did you go for the stock size or upsized?What about Fe figures ? Did she give the same mileage at 100k +.
Tyres are OEM size of 195/65R15. The first two tyres were bought earlier for Rs.11,000.
The second pair was for Rs.11,300.

FE for the whole Goa trip:
2,741 kms, 252.6 lts, so only 10.9 kmpl for the entire trip .

For the onward journey it was 11.6 kmpl for 1,250 kms.
(This drive started at 7 pm from home, crossed Bangalore on the NICE road at around 4:30 am, reached Goa (Colva) at 2:30 pm).
This is the longest drive ever in my life (wife can drive but I never gave my car to her!).
Only problem was minor back muscle pain for the next two days.

Inside Goa it gave me only 7+ kmpl, one reason was it was very hot and I had to put the AC on full blast even while idling.

Also the return trip via Sawantvadi, amboli-ghats along with relatively bad roads brought down the FE. The return journey started in Candolim at 9:30 am and ended in Bangalore at 9:30 pm for an overnight stay.

The return journey was done in peak mid-noon sun at 39 deg C on the belgaum-hubli stretch.

Also got caught in a traffic-jam inside Bangalore near richmond-circle for about an hour at 8:30 pm after eleven hours of driving (the worst part of this entire drive!).

Though I lost on FE I had fun
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:20   #3362
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The myth of service every three or even six months!!!

I have just scanned and uploaded two two pages of the service schedule. With a switch to synth the oil change is also 10000/12 months. So apart for some visual inspections there is nothing left for six months, and also there is no mention of the three months.

I hope this lays to rest the myth of a service every three months, and (even) six months for low mileage drivers like me.
I wish they update the manual (or put out a downloadable "corrigendum" on their website) to reflect the "10000 kms/12 months for synthetic oil" thing. If you notice closely, the visual inspection schedule (5000 kms or 6 months) doesn't say "whichever is earlier".

So far it has been the case for me that every 5k kms has happened in either 3 months (until 20k kms) or 6 months (post 20k kms). Not any more, especially with the car being grounded for the last 18 days on account of the sun-film issue.

So I have decided to show them the car every 6 months until I have warranty cover and once the car's out of warranty, it's going to be strictly mileage-based and not time-based intervals for me. Just yesterday I received a call from Ring Road Honda since the 25k service was done 3 months back. The car's done only 1500 kms since then. I politely declined and said I'll visit them in August, that too because it would be one year since the last oil change (20k kms, August 2011) by then. Mileage-wise I don't expect the car to have done even 28k by August 2012.

If enough owners stop visiting the service centres every 3 months regardless of mileage, they will also slowly stop this practice.

Regards,
spadix
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:58   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
once the car's out of warranty, it's going to be strictly mileage-based and not time-based intervals for me.
I bought my Civic in August'2006 and got the car serviced at every 5k and NEVER based on period of 3 months. Few times I got it done after an interval of 7+ and once at 8+ months. (I think the service book I got with my Civic says 5000 kms/3months, later they have revised it, will check and confirm).

I had 2+2 years warranty and never faced any warranty related issue.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:16   #3364
BANNED

I havwe kept my Civic (1 June 2010) an a six months scheduling once the 1 and 3 month checks were over. I may add that 1 go the three month job at Gwalior and the SA wanted to change the oil - old habits die hard. We agreed to check the booklet and he was convinced. Then in the evening when I was picking up the car the SM asked the same thing and was told by the SA about synth needing a change only at the third service. A friend who bought a City had the oil change at 3 months, and only when I told him and checked did he realise it was now at six months. So be careful about this one.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:20   #3365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel
I bought my Civic in August'2006 and got the car serviced at every 5k and NEVER based on period of 3 months. Few times I got it done after an interval of 7+ and once at 8+ months. (I think the service book I got with my Civic says 5000 kms/3months, later they have revised it, will check and confirm).

I had 2+2 years warranty and never faced any warranty related issue.
Were you able to get Honda to replace parts under warranty after a claim you raised (as opposed to them detecting an issue and proactively fixing it)?

I am in line to get the air mix motor replaced under warranty, hopefully. I brought the issue to their notice and persisted until the fault was found. There's also the possibility of some suspension or steering bits being at fault. Again I'll have to persist and make them find and acknowledge it.

So I was thinking that I shouldn't give them any excuse to dishonour a warranty claim I raised. Or does it not make a difference who raises the warranty claim (customer/workshop/Honda)?

As far as oil changes are concerned, here's the data for my car (a July 2010 V M/T) -
1st oil change at 9543 kms in February 2011 (6 months)
2nd oil change at ~20060 kms in August 2011 (13 months)

Current mileage is 25875 kms, and I don't think I'll hit 30k by August 2012. However, given the dust and weather conditions in Gurgaon, I think it's prudent to get oil replaced in August 2012 despite the odo reading.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 23rd May 2012 at 11:27.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:53   #3366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Were you able to get Honda to replace parts under warranty after a claim you raised (as opposed to them detecting an issue and proactively fixing it)?
I got a Fuse box changed (MRP 14k at that time) in Feb'2010 (after 3.5 years) under extended warranty by Ring Road Honda, Gurgaon.

Earlier the fault was diagnosed by Pearl Honda but they did not have the fuse box in stock. (Later they called when the fuse box arrived).

None of the workshop even bothered to check service history and were willing to replace the necessary part under warranty knowing that my extended warranty is valid till August 2010.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:27   #3367

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I have gone for the Yoko dbs 205/65/15 since a couple of months and must say that I am very impressed with them. Loads more grip, very silent and great cushioning. Enjoying the slight increase in GC as well.

I will of course instruct HASS not to touch them at all during service.

I currently have 205/55/R16 on my Civic, which has resulted in a GC lower than on OE tires (195/65/R15).

My question: Will 205/60/R16 fit without problem in Civic?
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:56   #3368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun-t View Post
I currently have 205/55/R16 on my Civic, which has resulted in a GC lower than on OE tires (195/65/R15).

My question: Will 205/60/R16 fit without problem in Civic?
The civic OEM alloys are 15" so how did you fit 16" tires? Did you change the alloys? If you already have 205/55/16, then 205/60/16 will obviously also fit since width and rim size is the same.

Use the size calculator to check: Cheap Low Price Special Offer Alloys and Tyres from TYRESAVE As per this there is negligible difference in OD from your current tires to the OEM so there should have been no change in GC. But if you change to 205/60/16, then there is quite a large difference and not really advisable (OD difference should be less than 2% as a general rule)
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:03   #3369

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
The civic OEM alloys are 15" so how did you fit 16" tires? Did you change the alloys? If you already have 205/55/16, then 205/60/16 will obviously also fit since width and rim size is the same.

Use the size calculator to check: Cheap Low Price Special Offer Alloys and Tyres from TYRESAVE As per this there is negligible difference in OD from your current tires to the OEM so there should have been no change in GC. But if you change to 205/60/16, then there is quite a large difference and not really advisable (OD difference should be less than 2% as a general rule)
Thanks for the reply Sandeep.

I am actually looking ot improve GC for my Civic and thought increasing tyre profile may help. Going in for 205/60/R16 would mean a difference of 2.84% from OE size.

Can anyone help with ideas to improve the GC for Civic (2006 model)?
Old 24th May 2012, 19:41   #3370
BHPian

Second service for my Civic was done on Monday at Madurai. I suppose second service as well is more a visual check and cleaning.

Now I have a minor issue. While driving at 100+ kmph, I hear a light whistling sound. SA suggested and adjusted front left door beading. But the problem remains. Later while driving in 4 lane roads, I analyzed little more and found the following. The whistling sound comes when 'inside air circulation' switch is ON. If I change to 'outside air', the sound stops. I forgot to check with AC and Fan completely switched off though!

Since the noise comes only at 100+ speed, it is difficult to do multiple trial in city!

Did any member face this minor issue? Should I check any specific area?

Thank you.
Old 26th May 2012, 11:50   #3371
BHPian

TN-69 Civic at Goa (1,300 kms from home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Where are the pictures of the Civvy from the highways?
Maybe posting these pictures here are OT for this thread, but we can look at them this way: The Civic after its 1,05,000 kms service is extremely reliable to travel so far from its home (1,300 kms) and come back safely with no problems whatsoever.

(The photos are re-sized to be very small to take less bandwidth/space).
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_8165.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_8223.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_8251.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_8289.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_8337.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_8365.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_7658.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_7636.jpg  

Last edited by manim : 26th May 2012 at 11:51.
manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 12:15   #3372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSteer
Now I have a minor issue. While driving at 100+ kmph, I hear a light whistling sound. SA suggested and adjusted front left door beading. But the problem remains. Later while driving in 4 lane roads, I analyzed little more and found the following. The whistling sound comes when 'inside air circulation' switch is ON. If I change to 'outside air', the sound stops. I forgot to check with AC and Fan completely switched off though!

Since the noise comes only at 100+ speed, it is difficult to do multiple trial in city!

Did any member face this minor issue? Should I check any specific area?
I've heard this supercharger whine-like whistle often when accelerating hard (i.e. not necessarily only at 100+ speeds). On many occasions it is also accompanied by the smell of hot metal inside the cabin.

I put this down to engine characteristics.

I also remember hearing this sound when the AC is off. We rarely keep the AC on in external air mode, so I don't have the experience of hearing or not hearing this sound when not in recirculation mode. Will try this out some time and report back with my findings.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 13:07   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSteer View Post
While driving at 100+ kmph, I hear a light whistling sound
I had a 'whistling/whining sound' problem once, even at very slow speeds and when accelerating (posted on this thread in December 2011).
It was because the power-steering-fluid level was low.
Once the fluid was poured, the sound vanished.

Your problem seems to be different but you can check your power-steering-fluid just to be sure.
Old 26th May 2012, 18:17   #3374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim
I had a 'whistling/whining sound' problem once, even at very slow speeds and when accelerating (posted on this thread in December 2011).
It was because the power-steering-fluid level was low.
Once the fluid was poured, the sound vanished.
Interesting!

PS fluid and my car go back some way now.

During my last visit to Ring Road Honda to get them to fully understand the suspension noise issue (metallic 'clunk' from front wheels when going over a pothole or speed-breaker at some 20+ kmph, esp. with wheels turned either way), one 'smart' senior technician coolly said that this problem exists on all Civics. When I quipped back saying that I never heard such sounds during the first 5-6 months/~9k kms, he first said I didn't listen keenly enough. When I persisted he said the sound is caused by the transfer of power steering fluid from one side of the car to another through the fluid pipe.

He didn't waver from this theory even when I told him that the sound is especially prominent while turning but not entirely absent when going straight.

He got the mechs to rip open the underbody splash guard, damaging the original rivets in the process. They then put it back after a useless visual inspection of this PS fluid pipe (I think they were just fibbing), and tried to charge me for replacement rivets (8 of them * INR 80 per piece). I flatly refused to pay citing that this was their mishandling of the part and that I wanted brand new rivets. Of course, I didn't get brand new ones but got some for free.

I wonder now if there could be some connection because I hear both the whine and the clunk in my car.

Regards,
spadix
Old 27th May 2012, 10:27   #3375
Senior - BHPian

Manim buddy your looks at most 1-2 years old.The front bumper's dangerouly close to the ramp.The person in the pic ,is that you ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th May 2012 at 10:29.

Most Viewed