Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 11:43   #3301
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Went to collect the car...but, alas, when the car came out of the garage, I noticed a big dent on the LHS bottom skirt (beneath the two doors), which was NOT there when I gave the car for servicing.

After some back and forth arguments, the car is taken back to the workshop by the HASS folks - will get it tomorrow (but already bill paid; disks replaced, 40K servicing done; and all the garnishing that I had requested done)
I had similar experiences with Whitefield Honda. They dented and bruised the car and coolly delivered the car home and I refused to accept it. Called the manager and created a ruckus and they took the car back and dented and repainted and sent it back after a couple of days.
Old 30th April 2012, 11:51   #3302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I had similar experiences with Whitefield Honda.
They have a very small garage, and very, very tight corners - too tight for big cars like Civic / Accord.

So, one needs to be vigilant.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 19:10   #3303
dot
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the rear left seat belt of my Civic is not working. It simply refuses to pull out and is very taught. Any clues what might be wrong?
Old 2nd May 2012, 00:21   #3304
BHPian

@dot

DITTO same issue with my car.
Showed it to Honda they said the seatbelt retracting mechanism has gone kaput replacement cost is 5k + taxes.

I have for a while differed changing it as my car is majorly used with max 1 or 2 people on board.
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:22   #3305
BANNED

@jatinpatel & co; With seat belts trying to repair them is not a safe option by any chance. Is it that your passenger belts are never or rarely used? Then the mechanism must have got jammed. Remember Civic belts being pre-tensioned are more complex.
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:32   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof
They have a very small garage, and very, very tight corners - too tight for big cars like Civic / Accord.

So, one needs to be vigilant.
Same thing with Ring Road Honda in Gurgaon. In August last year, one of the staff scratched my car against the side wall of the tight exit ramp (with me sitting in the car!) while taking it out for a post-service TD. They waxed it over and made the scratches disappear but they are slowly becoming visible again now.

The other day I was there again getting a bunch of noises checked and this time I asked one of the senior technicians why they have such tight exits. He said that it's a deterrent to rash driving by junior staff. If the workshop was all airy and spacious it would be very difficult for the younger (especially) chaps to control their urge to rip the pants off the cars. he was of the opinion that the ramps and their side walls have saved more accidents than they have caused.

Regards,
spadix
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:11   #3307
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post

DITTO same issue with my car.
Showed it to Honda they said the seatbelt retracting mechanism has gone kaput replacement cost is 5k + taxes.
Jatin, thats what I remembered, you mentioning that one of the seat belt in your car is not working.

I will show it to pervez bahi (my ICE/electrical man); he usually does this type of job. Lets see what he says. But I agree with sgiitk, it is not a good idea to take chances with safety. I have seen people walking out of ridiculously smashed up car unscratched, thanks to only seat belts.

Last edited by dot : 2nd May 2012 at 15:12.
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:08   #3308
BHPian

@dot and sgtik and others

One querry
after buying the car to check the seatbelts front ones specially i had stamped on brakes pretty hard and ABS kicked in also the my driver side belt pulled me towards the seat ie pre-tensioner in action, but now when i try it, it doesn happen but it just simply stops my forward motion of the body just like how a non-pretensioned belt would do.

Do i need replacement for the belt ?
are Pre-tensioner seat belts one time use types like how airbags are?

@dot and sgtik

the rear seatbelt is not stuck but when u try to pull it, it gets stuck so then u let it go a little then pull it again it will come out little and then again stuck and the repeat the same process again.
but while retracting it does not get stuck at all.

I need to get the belt fixed cause whenever once in bluemoon me or my friends or family sit in the rear they keep on sliding on the seat thanks to the super smooth leather.
once my friend who is pretty thin and skinny slidded on the seat and fell on the floor when i had to brake hard to save the car from crashing into crater potholes. and from that day onwards
She never sits in the back always in the front
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:17   #3309
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
1. after buying the car to check the seatbelts front ones specially i had stamped on brakes pretty hard and ABS kicked in also the my driver side belt pulled me towards the seat ie pre-tensioner in action, but now when i try it, it doesn happen but it just simply stops my forward motion of the body just like how a non-pretensioned belt would do.

Do i need replacement for the belt ?
are Pre-tensioner seat belts one time use types like how airbags are?

2. the rear seatbelt is not stuck but when u try to pull it, it gets stuck so then u let it go a little then pull it again it will come out little and then again stuck and the repeat the same process again.
but while retracting it does not get stuck at all.
1. Obviously your pre-tensioner (it is not one time like bags) is playing up. However, if the belt is Ok maybe you can skip replacing it.

2.Belts have a mechanism which does not allow you to pull them out too fast. Otherwise in a accident Inertia Reel balts will not lock. Obviously the mechanism is getting over active. Often operating the belts a few times will improve the behaviour.
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:33   #3310
Senior - BHPian

Pretensioners are normally built around solenoids or electric motors. But Pyrotechnics are really ruling the scenes now, and in the event of a crash SRS ECU will fire this. Mostly you'll end up seeing a bit of a smoky scene when they deploy. These cannot be reused and has to be changed. It can be considered like a small chamber of combustible gas with electrodes. The pressure pushes the mechanism which tightens the slack.

My information is Civic has the pyrotechnics type, and if it had deployed you surely will know. DTC has to be logged.
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:19   #3311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Dust is always there. In servicing the Evaporator they may actually take it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
They do take atleast 4-5 hours for the job. I think you can get the car in a day if you drop it to the ASC early in the morning.

Sure, at 68k, the coil would definitely need cleaning. Just that getting the condenser cleaned is not a big job and does return good results.

And if radiator is a problem the dots in gauge that shows engine temperature will go up.

The dust in the Evaporator coil is sucked from the vents you see near the wiper area. The ones where the wind screen ends. If you keep the car on recirculation mode, less dust will enter through the vents as the ducts are closed. If you keep the AC on fresh air mode, more dust is sucked through the vents and the dust chowks the evaporator coil.
Just came back from 650 kms Drive, while going, could not make out because I left early at 5:00 AM and reached Dehradun at 10:00 AM and then Mussorie at 12:00 PM after one hour break in Dehradun. It was not so hot at that time anyways.

Came, yesterday with full driving in hot sun. The AC was working fine at 24-25.

Today in my normal driving, the AC worked fine even at 25 (outside temp 35).

Earlier on Sunday (before going) got the AC condenser washed at local car wash but could not check the effect because it was too close to my home.

Did high revving open up something which I don't do in Delhi/Gurgaon normally ?

Should I still get the AC serviced or Evaporator cleaning should be sufficient?

BTW, my 99.5% (of 69000 kms) driving with windows up is in recirculation mode.
Quote:
you may choose to install an AC filter once you get the evaporator coil cleaned. You may find one at the ASC and if not you will definitely get one from Internet. I got one for my cedia last october and it works .
Any link please?
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:04   #3312
BANNED

@mukeshgoel; Evaporator servicing involves opening up the blower-evaporator assembly just under the dash. Not much else remains for a full AC service. If you find the cooling and airflow adequate just forget about any AC service whatsoever.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 12:45   #3313
BHPian

Need your help on a couple of queries I have:

1. Was thinking of getting reverse sensors / camera fixed. Should I get sensors for the front extremities as well?
2. Also, where in Mumbai should I get them fixed? Should I stick to Honda dealers or get third party stuff.
3. It would be helpful if I could also have any suggestions on the Honda dealerships that are better with their workmanship or any good third party fitment shops. Also, any pricing details would be great.
4. Was also looking to get sun film. Which one would be a fairly cost effective solution? I see lot of people preferring V-Kool. Also heard that 3M is decent, am a little confused to be honest.

I stay at Mantralaya, would be helpful if any close by shops could be suggested.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th May 2012, 12:50   #3314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Need your help on a couple of queries I have:

Also, where in Mumbai should I get them fixed? Should I stick to Honda dealers or get third party stuff...

Was also looking to get sun film. Which one would be a fairly cost effective solution? I see lot of people preferring V-Kool. Also heard that 3M is decent, am a little confused to be honest.
Honda dealers products will cost a bomb and do the same thing that any thrid party product would do.Hunt down car accessories shops in your area and ask for branded products like xenos etc.Make sure you buy one with a warranty.

As for sun films there is drama going on over the entire country with the supreme court banning use of same on cars. So please keep that on hold and save your self a lot of trouble.

You can look in t-bhp directory section for mumbai and see if there are any shops mentioned close to your area.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 13:06   #3315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Honda dealers products will cost a bomb and do the same thing that any thrid party product would do.Hunt down car accessories shops in your area and ask for branded products like xenos etc.Make sure you buy one with a warranty.

As for sun films there is drama going on over the entire country with the supreme court banning use of same on cars. So please keep that on hold and save your self a lot of trouble.

You can look in t-bhp directory section for mumbai and see if there are any shops mentioned close to your area.
Thanks Sumeet, havent read the judgement yet, will take a look before I make a decision. Apart from Rhyme and Rhythm I am not aware of any decent shops in this area. Wil call them up, was just thinking of any other otions to compare with.

Most Viewed