Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 18:23   #3421
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Sorry this skipped my eye.

There are no issues. If you use a truck then just make sure you are on 12V and not 24V. The algorithm is, connect the jumpers (negative last), start the donor vehicle, and try and start the recipient. Then remove the jumpers, negative first.
Thanks a lot.So far Civic has performed well without any issues.Reached
Gir without any problem.Am well prepared with all the necessary kits as suggested for any eventualities.
Old 7th June 2012, 21:32   #3422
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone changed their disc rotors recently as i want to know the costs just in case my cars shuddering problem during braking warrants a disc change.

thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 14:33   #3423
Senior - BHPian

Gave the car for service today, informed about the brake judder was recommended Disc replacement. Had an argument with Service Adviser and his seniors as this should be included in warranty, which they refused.

Have raised a complaint with Honda, lets see what happens next. Any pointers here will help.
Old 8th June 2012, 14:41   #3424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Has anyone changed their disc rotors recently as i want to know the costs just in case my cars shuddering problem during braking warrants a disc change.

thanks
its now been 2 years.
costed less than 2.5k per disk at Honda Dealer in Goa then

@mayank - that's a wear and tear item. They would not honour the warranty claim, unless you can prove that it's really a manufacturing defect and not your driving style.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 15:30   #3425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
its now been 2 years.
costed less than 2.5k per disk at Honda Dealer in Goa then

@mayank - that's a wear and tear item. They would not honour the warranty claim, unless you can prove that it's really a manufacturing defect and not your driving style.
So all four Disc's replacement should be ~10K? Don't know why but i thought they were more expensive than that.

Usually the Discs last not less than 40K, whatever be the driving style. My believe is, if one is more aggressive on brakes then the pads go bust sooner and not the Discs. Discs going bad on a 5 months old car with less than 9K on the odometer has got to be some problem.

Have raised complaint with Honda, will try my luck. Lets see if i am able to make my case.
Old 8th June 2012, 16:58   #3426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806

So all four Disc's replacement should be ~10K? Don't know why but i thought they were more expensive than that.

Usually the Discs last not less than 40K, whatever be the driving style. My believe is, if one is more aggressive on brakes then the pads go bust sooner and not the Discs. Discs going bad on a 5 months old car with less than 9K on the odometer has got to be some problem.

Have raised complaint with Honda, will try my luck. Lets see if i am able to make my case.
Discs should be more expensive, just the set of brake pads for the front cost me around 6k a couple of months back.
Old 8th June 2012, 20:38   #3427
Senior - BHPian

Front Disc will cost 5K+ for a pair and pads are about 6K+ for pair of wheels. Thought i would anyway go ahead and change them, cannot take chances with Brakes with the kind of speeds i do on highway. For only front Disc and Pads i paid about 12K.

Have raised a complaint, 9K/5M is no time for Disc's to go bad, lets see what they do. Dealer has agreed to support the case as well.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 8th June 2012 at 20:57.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 20:52   #3428
Senior - BHPian

with respect to my previous post you will observe some deposits etc kind of stuff on the discs. I was wondering will using WD 40 to try and clean them cause any harm etc to the disc/brakes etc ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2796987

thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 20:55   #3429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
with respect to my previous post you will observe some deposits etc kind of stuff on the discs. I was wondering will using WD 40 to try and clean them cause any harm etc to the disc/brakes etc ?
My first and uninformed reaction would be a flat "No!". WD40 is slippery and it might reduce friction between pad and disc, reducing braking efficiency, if it's not cleaned out thoroughly.

Professor and others should be able to throw more light on this topic.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 21:38   #3430
BANNED

I agree with Spadix. No WD40 on discs.If you must spray then mask out the discs and pad surfaces.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 05:04   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while loitering around at dealership, the accessory store guy recommended to change the headlamp bulbs to OSRAM (High Beam, Low Beam and Fog Lamps). The box of the bulb says it has some 30% more throw, and 20% more bright etc etc. Has anyone tried that, is it helpful? Here is the link on ebay

honda civic bulbs osram | eBay

Apart from this, here are the pictures of the Discs that i had replaced, a close look at the second one, you will notice there is a deep cut mark all the way through. It was quiet bad when touched and felt significantly deep than the rest. I checked other cars (Including Civic's) parked for service and none of them had this bad. SA said the rear Discs and Pads are fine and do not warrant replacement.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-front-discs-gone-bad-1.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-front-discs-gone-bad-2.jpg

And here is the invoice, what i just noticed is engine oil says only 100ml, and charges are about 3Kish, asked them to replace engine oil with Synthetic. Looks like it comes in 100ML sachets and 42 of those were used. Does this look correct?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th June 2012 at 09:03. Reason: attachment with personal details removed.
Old 9th June 2012, 08:09   #3432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
And here is the invoice, what i just noticed is engine oil says only 100ml, and charges are about 3Kish, asked them to replace engine oil with Synthetic. Looks like it comes in 100ML sachets and 42 of those were used. Does this look correct?
This seems a little above normal for an M/T.

I would have expected to see something like 36 packets used.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th June 2012, 08:54   #3433
BANNED

I think the sump is about 3.67litres so 37 should have been used.I guess with 100ml packings there was some wastage, but still 5 extra means 500ml! Very likely they poured in 4 litres.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:16   #3434
BHPian

To the Best of my Knowledge the synthetic oil from Honda comes a 4L can and not 100ml packets.
@mayank
were you charged for the new discs?
and if so then how much ?
Old 9th June 2012, 12:25   #3435
Senior - BHPian

Well, I know 100 ml unit is just for billing purpose. While adding their stock of engine oil, even if it comes in a drum, they do it in 100 ml units just for the sake of billing convenience.

BTW, I was billed for 37 Qty of 100 ml units. Mine is an AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks