Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:14   #3406
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@ramanak; Just make sure you have Jumper Cables in the car. So if you are stuck, you can rely on a good Samaritan to help you get going.

Forget about push starting an AT.
Thanks.May be a silly question but let me ask it anyways.

Does one need to find a comparable vehicle to jump start a broken down vehicle.Why I am asking is that a Car may have a different power battery than say a truck or a van.So is there a possibility of damaging some of the electronic components by jump starting the car using a truck's battery?

Last edited by ramanak : 2nd June 2012 at 09:16.
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:38   #3407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Which means you never had to use it so far till 1Lakh Plus Kms/5 years.Thats good news.Had you driven extensively in night?
Yes, I am still on the original bulbs for 5-years/1-lakh kms.
But I would estimate about 90% of daylight driving, so my bulbs are rarely used.

Quote:
Does one need to find a comparable vehicle to jump start a broken down vehicle.Why I am asking is that a Car may have a different power battery than say a truck or a van.So is there a possibility of damaging some of the electronic components by jump starting the car using a truck's battery?
Battery 'capacity' does not matter, only the 'voltage' matters. So any vehicle will do.
Old 2nd June 2012, 13:01   #3408
Senior - BHPian

Original bulbs in my Aug'2006 / 69.5k Civic are also doing fine. Touch wood.
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:41   #3409
Senior - BHPian

Dear all,

I have noticed a juddering and/or grinding metallic sound when i hit the brakes hard especially if the wheels are turned .I feel as if the sound is coming from the front wheels.Rear brakes pads were changed last year.

Any idea what could be the cause of same ? I have noticed it distinctively occurs when i brake hard and the wheels are turned.I tried braking hard in a straight line but found no such sound then.

thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 18:10   #3410
BANNED

So far in 1-1/2 years I have had to change just one front trafficator bulb. Pretty normal for modern cars.
Old 2nd June 2012, 23:03   #3411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar
Dear all,

I have noticed a juddering and/or grinding metallic sound when i hit the brakes hard especially if the wheels are turned .I feel as if the sound is coming from the front wheels.Rear brakes pads were changed last year.

Any idea what could be the cause of same ? I have noticed it distinctively occurs when i brake hard and the wheels are turned.I tried braking hard in a straight line but found no such sound then.

thanks
Think your discs may be slightly warped and may be ready for phasing. Also brake pads may be up for replacement. a combination of these can cause the symptoms you mentioned. I had these issues some time back, went away with a phasing of the discs and brake pad replacement. Had the issue for the front wheels itself in my car.
Arun Venugopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:44   #3412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar

My car developed this issue during my Hyd - Ggn relocation drive last year. The symptoms in my case however were apparent even under straight-line braking.

I got the pads and discs cleaned (some INR400) during the next service and the problem reduced significantly. So the culprit could've been dust/grit. This is understandable because the drive was in August, when monsoon was at its peak and roads were at their worst.

The problem is not completely eliminated but it's not major now and I can wait until the discs need to be faced. There are very shallow (visible but not felt to the touch) grooves on the discs.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:00   #3413
Senior - BHPian

I have clicked a couple of pics (pardon the poor quality) of my front left disk which has some sort of marks and looks unclean , quite unlike the rest 3 which are smooth and seem clean.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0449.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0451.jpg

I am not sure what these spots are ?. Is it time to replace this disk.And if so would i need to replace in pairs or a single disk is fine.

thanks all
Old 3rd June 2012, 15:22   #3414
Senior - BHPian

Break Pads and disk skimming.

Not like i need it. But since i was having the same problems as sumeet on his civic at high speeds, i decided to change my pads and skim my disks as the vibrations were rather discomforting.

Total cost : Break Pads 1800 for a set of 4. Front and rear. Labour 400 for removing and installing pads and disks. 400 for skimming 4 disks.

The process :-

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img2012051902354.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img2012051902355.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img2012051902358.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img2012051902357.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img2012051902363.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img2012051902362.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img2012051902365.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img2012051902366.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img2012051902368.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img2012051902371.jpg
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 16:22   #3415
BHPian

Good job mate. The costs included are very reasonable. 1800 for a full set? wow!
How good are those pads? I had that breaking noise issue with the same brand of pads.
Old 3rd June 2012, 18:11   #3416
Senior - BHPian

@Danlalan brake pads @1800 sounds great but are they as good as OE.I have heard of Nissin brake pads as a alternative replacement for Honda Pads.Also has the sound problem totally been eradicated after changing.

I might go for a disc skimming of the front left wheel in my next service but are all discs needed to be skimmed or just one.

thnaks
Old 4th June 2012, 01:17   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
@Danlalan brake pads @1800 sounds great but are they as good as OE.I have heard of Nissin brake pads as a alternative replacement for Honda Pads.Also has the sound problem totally been eradicated after changing.

I might go for a disc skimming of the front left wheel in my next service but are all discs needed to be skimmed or just one.

thnaks
Its good for manual cars. My shuddering problem has gone. Do both disk's if your skimming. Dont do just one.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 10:57   #3418
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry this skipped my eye.

There are no issues. If you use a truck then just make sure you are on 12V and not 24V. The algorithm is, connect the jumpers (negative last), start the donor vehicle, and try and start the recipient. Then remove the jumpers, negative first.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:27   #3419
BHPian

Last Sunday, I learnt the hardier way by a simple mistake that my AMPS DLS CA23x 2) along with the hazard lights are capable enough to drain my car battery in 10 minutes.

I had to drop in to an ATM, which due to queuing took little more than 10 minutes. By the time, I was back, with the hazard lights ON, my civic, which is close to 4 years, failed to start!

Lesson 1 : never ever switch off the ignition keeping the audio ON. I was lucky that in my other cars with less powerful amp installations, I could atleast start my car.
Old 5th June 2012, 20:00   #3420
BHPian

Two issues in three months 'new' Civic. Front driver side tire looked like punctured. Checked at TyrePlus and found air leaking at the valve. Got it replaced right there than visiting Honda Service for this issue.

Second issue started since past couple of days. Quick steering wheel return after sharp left turn gives a 'cluck' sound in steering wheel. No such issue on sharp right turn though! Will observe for few more days and visit service station.

Anyone faced the steering sound issue? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks