Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 22:32   #3526
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

To all owners of Civics with auto boxes , does the car creep forward when in drive mode and foot is off the brake or e-brake is disengaged ? I once read (long ago) that such transmission creep does not happen in certain luxury cars like merc's etc which have a auto box.Does it happen in the Civic?
Old 12th July 2012, 22:39   #3527
BHPian

There is a lag of 2-3 seconds when i take my foot off on a levelled/sloping road, but it does move forward. Without acceleration I reached 7 kmph max. However, in a uphill slope, the car holds it position with lot of pulsations (but does not move forward) - it makes life easier by stepping more on the throttle. Question: Is it healthy for CIVIC AT torque converter at such uphill conditions, and is the pulsation normal (or is it due to pretensioner issue - which is not normally evident) ?
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 23:26   #3528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
To all owners of Civics with auto boxes , does the car creep forward when in drive mode and foot is off the brake or e-brake is disengaged ? I once read (long ago) that such transmission creep does not happen in certain luxury cars like merc's etc which have a auto box.Does it happen in the Civic?

Yes.It does creep forward.I have seen it happen in other automatic cars as well.
ramanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 13:31   #3529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Question: Is it healthy for CIVIC AT torque converter at such uphill conditions, and is the pulsation normal (or is it due to pretensioner issue - which is not normally evident) ?
IMO, no. You are putting undue strain on the AT clutches as the torque converter does not get enough power from the engine. In fact in certain uphill situations, if you use the AT to 'hold' the car in place, instead of the brakes, will burn up very quickly.
Old 13th July 2012, 13:38   #3530
BANNED

I think the hill/slope hold is not for use as a replacement for the brakes. It is more to stop the car from creeping on the slope while you apply the throttle after releasing the brake. In other words it is designed to be used sparingly for short intervals.
Old 13th July 2012, 17:44   #3531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Yes, the car does move forward. If the road is concrete, and plain, it will achieve 7-10 kmph without any acceleration at all.

I have another question related to brake release in D mode. The day after bathing the car, after starting and slotting the gear in D mode, the moment foot is taken off the brake, some short metal clanging sound is heard :(.
To me it seems like there is a contact developed between the brake pads and disk and the sound is, this contact giving away. Any idea what it is and how problematic is this?

Last edited by sarathlal : 13th July 2012 at 17:45.
Old 13th July 2012, 17:58   #3532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
some short metal clanging sound is heard :(.
If the e-brake was disengaged after parking overnight then it's quite a normal sound as the rear brakes often get locked up due to moisture,dampness and other such reasons.The sound you hear is most probabaly the sound of the brakes getting free and is quite normal.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 19:31   #3533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think the hill/slope hold is not for use as a replacement for the brakes. It is more to stop the car from creeping on the slope while you apply the throttle after releasing the brake. In other words it is designed to be used sparingly for short intervals.
Exactly. Hill/slope hold can heat up the transmission. I remember reading this in the user-manual.
Old 15th July 2012, 00:33   #3534
BHPian

Ok heres a small update.

There was a sqeaking noise in my rocket form the front side, the diagnosis came to be busted stabilizer link comp kit basically stabilizer bar linkages which connect the stabilizer bar to the lower arms let me know if you all would be interested to know more technicalities of the same.

so this was replaced today for a dent of 6k to the pocket and the noise has gone almost 90% but the squeak at times is still present.

So told Linkway to open up the front shocks and check, the thing which i was dreading for till this date came true and Yes the Front shocks are bust.
Right side is weak and Left is completely gonner and hence car is thuding and not gliding like how a PERFECT CIVIC should be.

So one more BIG dent to the pocket, which would be done coming week.

Cant get one thing till now, infact cant digest it yet a car done 52346 kms in 5years has a busted shocks ?
I thought i could do atleast 80k on the stock shocks without any problems.
Hell my 5yrs old 1.2L kms done Lancer is still on its Original shocks and there's no signs of those going bust anytime soon checked twice and is still stuck to the ground lick a leech.

but then,

I follow one motto with civic,
Floor the Pedal and Forget the Pains.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 15th July 2012 at 00:35.
Old 15th July 2012, 11:07   #3535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Cant get one thing till now, infact cant digest it yet a car done 52346 kms in 5years has a busted shocks ?
Is it purely owner(s) driven or does a paid-driver drives it on his own sometimes?
Old 16th July 2012, 00:51   #3536
BHPian

Its Purely OWNER driven, that is only ME and my Mum
my mum drives like a super saint
I drive normally but i also make sure that the car doesn go over any rough patch of road, I try to avoid rough sections of road as much as I can, that might be by changing lanes or taking alternative route.

If I have to go via bad roads I make sure that its taken slowly and carefully.
Old 16th July 2012, 23:55   #3537
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, I have a strange issue with the turn indicator stalk. It used to automatically comes back to normal/neutral position after bringing the car from the turn. But now it does not do that anymore. I had to manually bring the stalk to this middle/neutral position! What could be wrong?
Old 17th July 2012, 00:42   #3538
Senior - BHPian

From early this week, post the 6th service (25k kms, 2yrs), there's a faint kit-kit-kit sound when the steering is turned lock to lock, at standstill. The noise is audible when it nears the lock. I'll be taking it to the workshop tomorrow ....

What could be the possible causes?
Old 17th July 2012, 08:57   #3539
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Hi Guys, I have a strange issue with the turn indicator stalk. It used to automatically comes back to normal/neutral position after bringing the car from the turn. But now it does not do that anymore. I had to manually bring the stalk to this middle/neutral position! What could be wrong?
There is a cam on the system which engages to return. Could be it is broken or worn out or damaged. It can be expensive to fix since the entire stalk assembly may have to be changed.
Old 17th July 2012, 08:58   #3540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
This happens if one had pushed the indicator lever a bit hard some time before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks