Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 10:25   #4801
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2p View Post
What they told is that this is due to financial priorities. They have agreed at 4.5 and I may settle the deal today.

I would become an authentic member of this 'civic' community.

Thanks a lot.
Great, and all the best! I hope you had visited Honda and checked the service records as well. That will also give you an idea on the next near service date.
Old 4th September 2013, 16:15   #4802
BHPian

My civic has now done 86000 Kms even though its now breaching the 7 year mark the major running happened in the past 3 years as it had covered only 12k Kms before that.
No trouble at all except that the key started getting stuck in the ignition. Just got that replaced. The entire assembly is changed and new keys programmed and given. This set me back by around 9k.
Had got the clutch plate changed at around 70k Kms as the clutch had gone hard. Was advised then to change the clutch master cylinder too but had not got that done. The day I took the car to get the lock set changed asked the service Center people to spray some lubricant on the clutch spring as it was making squeaking noises on being used and there in front of my eyes as soon as the spray was applied and the pedal pumped by the mechanic the clutch remained pressed and was told the master cylinder has gone kaput. What timing I must say atleast I wasn't left stranded on the road.
The ASS was considerate enough to change the part right there and then considering it was already 6 pm and time for the workshop to shut down and they handed me the car back in just half hour after replacing the same along with a bill of 5.8k.
But now the car is back to running like a dream. The only expense in the near future is a major service at 90k and tyres due for replacement in another 10-15k Kms.
Was planning on replacing the car but then I still believe its one of the best driving cars around at the moment and these little expenses have made the car feel and drive like new again.
Old 4th September 2013, 19:18   #4803
BHPian

Given the fact that a new Civic is no longer available for purchase, I'm curious to know the following:
  • All over India, how many Civic units would be present (S/V/AT/MT/2006-2012)?
  • What about the spare parts production by the OEM (Honda India)? How long will all the spare parts be available?
  • If Honda India does NOT release a new version of Civic in the immediate future, and stops production of the spare parts, who else can supply these approved OEM parts?
  • Is there a situation where the HASS will refuse to service/repair Civic cars, saying that they do not have the spare parts from the OEM?
  • In that situation, who ELSE can service these cars?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th September 2013, 19:40   #4804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Had got the clutch plate changed at around 70k Kms as the clutch had gone hard. Was advised then to change the clutch master cylinder too but had not got that done. The day I took the car to get the lock set changed asked the service Center people to spray some lubricant on the clutch spring as it was making squeaking noises on being used and there in front of my eyes as soon as the spray was applied and the pedal pumped by the mechanic the clutch remained pressed and was told the master cylinder has gone kaput. What timing I must say atleast I wasn't left stranded on the road.
The ASS was considerate enough to change the part right there and then considering it was already 6 pm and time for the workshop to shut down and they handed me the car back in just half hour after replacing the same along with a bill of 5.8k.
Good to hear that she is back to its best. The clutch is a hefty expense, I give you that. My 6.5 year old civic has clocked 80k kms and mine too has a hard clutch. The clutch travel has been reduced, when I press the clutch it travels a bit with no effect, only when it's pressed halfway down does it feel alright. is that normal? I tried the 'slot in 1st gear and release clutch routine' and it pulls cleanly. My service is due next week, and here's my dilemma. If I'm advised a clutch replacement, is it advisable to pay 12k and get it done at the service center or can I source it and get it installed independently, from places like Sparemart?

@Tempelhof
Honda sold a total of around 75000 civics in India. That is a sizeable number so I don't think spare parts is going to be an issue, atleast for the next 4-5 years. The Old Honda city is still given due care at honda service centers. The only problem I see could be of major parts replacement ie...due to accident etc which might have to be ordered so there could be significant delays. A timeframe of 5 years is pretty long and I do expect Honda to launch the civic again in India, as soon as they've got a suitable diesel powerplant ready.
A newbie civic owner should look at the Lancer and take heart. You still see many on the roads which implies parts are still available.
Old 5th September 2013, 04:08   #4805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Given the fact that a new Civic is no longer available for purchase, I'm curious to know the following:
  • All over India, how many Civic units would be present (S/V/AT/MT/2006-2012)?
  • What about the spare parts production by the OEM (Honda India)? How long will all the spare parts be available?
  • If Honda India does NOT release a new version of Civic in the immediate future, and stops production of the spare parts, who else can supply these approved OEM parts?
  • Is there a situation where the HASS will refuse to service/repair Civic cars, saying that they do not have the spare parts from the OEM?
  • In that situation, who ELSE can service these cars?

Thanks in advance.
Honda an Toyota are two manufacturers who had mastered on maintaining their models for generations.
The spare parts will not be an issue for the Civic, at least in the near future, irrespective of whether the next generation launches here or not.

Also, Civic was a CKD in India, so production change related impact is also minimal.

Last edited by sarathlal : 5th September 2013 at 04:14.
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 07:39   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Good to hear that she is back to its best. The clutch is a hefty expense, I give you that. My 6.5 year old civic has clocked 80k kms and mine too has a hard clutch. The clutch travel has been reduced, when I press the clutch it travels a bit with no effect, only when it's pressed halfway down does it feel alright. is that normal? I tried the 'slot in 1st gear and release clutch routine' and it pulls cleanly. My service is due next week, and here's my dilemma. If I'm advised a clutch replacement, is it advisable to pay 12k and get it done at the service center or can I source it and get it installed independently, from places like Sparemart?
Any advice with this?
Old 5th September 2013, 14:35   #4807
e2p
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Great, and all the best! I hope you had visited Honda and checked the service records as well. That will also give you an idea on the next near service date.
I got more BHP now . Took the keys of the car this afternoon.

Last evening we went to the honda service and shown the car there. The SA suggested that nothing needs to be done now. The 40K service was complete. The service records are good. There are minor issues with petrol lid (SA told Rs. 600 for the cable) and interiors need cleaning, which I will get done sometime today.

I am unable to explain in words how good the ride is, for me its a radical change. Wagon R to Civic.

I went to the bank and paid the amount to settle the loan. The NOC will be available in 15 days. The balance amount will be wire transferred. I will hold 10k till the vehicle is transferred to my name. Got the original of RC, insurance, duplicate key and all RTO papers signed by the owner. Checked with insurance company, there are no claims.

The RC was shown as DUPLICATE, I checked with my conenction in RTO and she told that it should be authentic. The hologram, sign of the RTO office and stamp were seen. So she told that it should be ok only. Also the bank would not have allowed loan, if the RC was not authentic. Anyway she told she will get back to me if she finds any issues. Called the insurance company and got to know that there are no claims.

Thanks again all of you for your inputs. Look forward for a wondeful experience with my civic.
e2p is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 15:56   #4808
BHPian

Quote:

@Tempelhof
Honda sold a total of around 75000 civics in India. That is a sizeable number so I don't think spare parts is going to be an issue, atleast for the next 4-5 years. The Old Honda city is still given due care at honda service centers. The only problem I see could be of major parts replacement ie...due to accident etc which might have to be ordered so there could be significant delays. A timeframe of 5 years is pretty long and I do expect Honda to launch the civic again in India, as soon as they've got a suitable diesel powerplant ready.
A newbie civic owner should look at the Lancer and take heart. You still see many on the roads which implies parts are still available.
I think that's normal. I always depress the clutch fully so I guess I missed the effect of partial pressing of the clutch. Had a big discussion at the time of replacement of the clutch with the service advisors who I'm friendly with ( had the previous generation accord at one time so they recognise me) and they told me the clutch needs replacement around 70-80k in civics especially if its been driven a bit in the stop-go of city traffic.
I usually approach the ASS for part replacement. Somehow important things like clutch and brakes I can't get myself to trust independent workshops. A few extra thousands atleast provide peace of mind.
PlEase bear in mind that the clutch master cylinder usually can't handle the pressure of a new clutch plate so it's usually recommended to be changed with the clutch plate though mine did last a good 15k more but I guess the way the car just broke down I was glad I wasn't on the road and once the master cylinder does go kaput you're left stranded. Incase while changing they suggest you to change the same my suggestion would be to follow the advice. Total expenditure would be around 18k.
Old 5th September 2013, 22:49   #4809
Senior - BHPian

Well I got my trusted mechanic to take a look and the clutch is still good to go. He did a few tests. ie starting from standstill and slotting 3rd gear etc..no slippage either..now the only issue is the pedal being hard. I guess I'll point it out to the service folks.

Btw...in the fifth gear, I am at around 80 Kph at 2000 rpm. Is that ok?
Old 7th September 2013, 11:35   #4810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Btw...in the fifth gear, I am at around 80 Kph at 2000 rpm. Is that ok?
That's perfect for an M/T.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 14:00   #4811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
That's perfect for an M/T.

Regards,
spadix
Does the M/T and A/T have different ratios? My AT at 2000RPM is at 100 kmph?
Old 7th September 2013, 16:25   #4812
Senior - BHPian

I gave my car for 20k service this week. Now the service center folks are telling that the front brake "linings" are completely worn out. I believe this is the same as brake pads. Apparently even the brake discs are in bad shape. My car is an AT and has run less than 20k kms so far and I drive mostly in a sedate manner. Wonder what is the experience of others on this. They are asking for some 6k for replacing these front brake "linings".
Old 7th September 2013, 17:18   #4813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I gave my car for 20k service this week. Now the service center folks are telling that the front brake "linings" are completely worn out. I believe this is the same as brake pads. Apparently even the brake discs are in bad shape. My car is an AT and has run less than 20k kms so far and I drive mostly in a sedate manner. Wonder what is the experience of others on this. They are asking for some 6k for replacing these front brake "linings".
20K appears to be less, for me it was at 40K kms that I replaced both my front rotors and pads. The second time was at 115K, that is I did 75K!

I was advised that it is better to replace the rotors also along with a new set of pads.
(though some will recommend skimming the rotors, I would replace them for peace-of-mind).

The charges were (parts and labour, inc. taxes):
Pads: Rs.7,234
Rotors: Rs.6,754
Total: Rs.13,988
(This was in October 2012)

Expensive, but safe!

The first change was in April 2009 when it was much cheaper.
The current rate of inflation will drive the prices further up
Old 7th September 2013, 17:59   #4814
BHPian

Civic Gear Ratios

Quote:
in the fifth gear, I am at around 80 Kph at 2000 rpm. Is that ok?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Does the M/T and A/T have different ratios? My AT at 2000RPM is at 100 kmph?
Yes, the ratios are different, here are the ratios taken from Overdrive magazine Sep 2006 (Thanks to Overdrive).

I had posted the numbers before on this thread but here is a cropped photo from the magazine itself:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_3705.jpg  

manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 18:30   #4815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I have a manual but the brake pads were changed at 55k Kms and that was after I found the steering to wobble a little when braking at speeds over 100km/hr. 20k is way too quick. My car has now done 86k Kms and the brakes are still performing flawlessly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks