Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 08:19   #4756
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Precisely the point. If driven sedately, the civic is fairly efficient.But the problem is, how can one drive it sedately?
Old 28th August 2013, 08:32   #4757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Precisely the point. If driven sedately, the civic is fairly efficient.But the problem is, how can one drive it sedately?
Couldn't agree more.. :-)
Old 28th August 2013, 14:25   #4758
Senior - BHPian

Besides the speed at which the Civic (or any car for that matter) is driven in the city, one important aspect that contributes to FE is the distance covered at one go.

I have been a victim of this and hence this post. My 2010 Civic MT gives me an average of 8-9 kmpl inside the city when I use it only for office. My one way trip to the office is 6-7 kms. My A-Star Auto returns similar figures as it is being used for very short distances.

However, as much as the fuel guzzler the Civic is within the city it is one of the most economical vehicles on the highway. I get consistent figures of 17-18 kmpl on highways and am a very very sedate driver. In fact once I was temped to do some hypermiling on ECR and managed to get about 20-21 kmpl.
Old 28th August 2013, 17:19   #4759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Besides the speed at which the Civic (or any car for that matter) is driven in the city, one important aspect that contributes to FE is the distance covered at one go.

I have been a victim of this and hence this post. My 2010 Civic MT gives me an average of 8-9 kmpl inside the city when I use it only for office. My one way trip to the office is 6-7 kms. My A-Star Auto returns similar figures as it is being used for very short distances.
True. As mentioned in the manual, it takes 8 kms of driving to warm the engine up sufficiently. This is one of the 2-3 reasons why my Civic's in-city efficiency is a bit down now, as I mentioned in my earlier post. One way commute is only 5 km now. :(

Regards,
spadix
Old 28th August 2013, 20:49   #4760
Senior - BHPian

I need a little help from you folks. One of my friends is in the market for a used car. He has narrowed it down to a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla Altis. Now I love my Civic a lot so just so that I wasn't biased, I thought I'd take the opinion of a broader userbase. So what do you think is the better choice? Both the cars he's found are fairly comparable...both have clocked 35-40k kms...fairly well maintained. The Civic is a bit cheaper but price isn't the issue here.
Old 28th August 2013, 20:54   #4761
BHPian

Quote:
I need a little help from you folks. One of my friends is in the market for a used car. He has narrowed it down to a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla Altis.
What's the BHP of the Altis? I have a feeling that it may not be powerful enough for a spirited drive. The other aspect is the aerodynamic design of Civic that reduces air drag....and then the dashboard
Old 28th August 2013, 21:29   #4762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need a little help from you folks. One of my friends is in the market for a used car. He has narrowed it down to a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla Altis. Now I love my Civic a lot so just so that I wasn't biased, I thought I'd take the opinion of a broader userbase. So what do you think is the better choice? Both the cars he's found are fairly comparable...both have clocked 35-40k kms...fairly well maintained. The Civic is a bit cheaper but price isn't the issue here.
With no offense to anyone i feel the Toyota is more suitable for older people as it seems more of a sedate/chauffeur driven car while the Honda is a drivers car something more for the younger lot.Just my personal opinion.
Old 28th August 2013, 22:56   #4763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
True. As mentioned in the manual, it takes 8 kms of driving to warm the engine up sufficiently. This is one of the 2-3 reasons why my Civic's in-city efficiency is a bit down now, as I mentioned in my earlier post. One way commute is only 5 km now. :(

Regards,
spadix
To add on, from the manual, if the one shot drive is less than 10km (or is it 15km), then this fall under the 'extreme driving condition'.
Mainly tied with the perspective of oil changes and services.

Quote:
I need a little help from you folks.
Now I love my Civic a lot so just so that I wasn't biased, I thought I'd take the opinion of a broader userbase.
And you posted this question here?
I think if you can take it to the Used card price check thread, you might get more 'unbiased' opinion.

No offense meant to anyone looking here, just my two cents, out of the Civic craziness

Last edited by sarathlal : 28th August 2013 at 23:07.
Old 28th August 2013, 23:17   #4764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
To add on, from the manual, if the one shot drive is less than 10km (or is it 15km), then this fall under the 'extreme driving condition'.
Mainly tied with the perspective of oil changes and services.
16 km (or 10 mi).

However the manual also suggests that heat, dust and terrain (ghats etc.) also make conditions extreme. So most of India is "extreme" irrespective of the length of the one-way commute. I believe the 10k km interval per oil change covers extreme driving conditions (else HASS would have let us known it).

On Civic vs. Altis -

For me (NOTE: my viewpoints only) the Civic's wins are driving excitement and innovative, timeless looks. The huge losses are an unsorted chassis + rear suspension to aid that brilliant engine, steering and brakes, and some really lousy authorized service.

The Corolla's wins are better drivability at the low-end range and the fact that it is probably *slightly* better suited to our driving conditions (build quality-wise, mostly). Toyota service seems to be hands-down better than Honda's at any rate. The big loss is a real lack of driving excitement, and some ordinary looks.

Feature set is a toss-up between the two. The Altis (depending on model year) might sport more useful features.

Regards,
spadix
Old 29th August 2013, 07:56   #4765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is definitely a major factor, but I think there is something else too. My Civic - 2007 October - so far has lived with me in Hyderabad (1.5 years), Chennai (1 year), Mumbai (1 year) and Bangalore (2.5 years). In all cities except Mumbai I got 11 +/- 0.5 kmpl generally round the year (I drive always with the A/c on). In Mumbai it went down to 8 +/- 0.5 kmpl. I have started believing there is something in the driving (or ambient) conditions in Mumbai that affects FE. In all cases my daily one-way commute has been less than 10 km (lowest in Mumbai, 4.5 km).

I generally get around 13-14 kmpl in intercity drives (nowadays mostly Bangalore-Chennai). The two times I drove to/from Mumbai, I have crossed 16 kmpl in north Karnataka.
Old 29th August 2013, 08:11   #4766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
(lowest in Mumbai, 4.5 km).
I still feel this is the bigger reason, and not anything about Mumbai's ambient weather or conditions.

Whereas your commute has been sub-10 km one-way in the other cities you've lived in, has it been closer to 8-10 kms?

In Hyd., my commute one-way was ~12 kms, and likewise for a very brief while of about 6 months in Ggn. In these cases it's been 10.5 to 12 kmpl depending on whether AC was in or off.

Regards,
spadix
Old 29th August 2013, 09:29   #4767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
What's the BHP of the Altis? I have a feeling that it may not be powerful enough for a spirited drive. The other aspect is the aerodynamic design of Civic that reduces air drag....and then the dashboard
Well, I got this from the net :
Corolla Altis - The J (S) petrol is powered by a four-cylinder 1.8-litre mill producing 139.9PS and 173Nm of torque. Power is transmitted to the front wheels in both variants via a six-speed manual gearbox. The diesel has an ARAI fuel efficiency figure of 21.45kmpl while the petrol has a figure of 15.23kmpl.

So its more powerful than the Civic?

@sarathlal

I am biased so I thought might as well ask people who will reiterate my belief

@spadix

makes sense. Thanks for your views. Post the facelift, i think corolla wins performance wise too. :/
Old 29th August 2013, 12:12   #4768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(lowest in Mumbai, 4.5 km).
This should be the major contributor IMO and I fully agree with @spadix. In my case the one way commute has been only 6-7km so far. Now that my office is shifting near Tidel Park in a few weeks from now, my one way commute will be at least 19-20 km. I am waiting to check the FE then. Will share my findings.
Old 29th August 2013, 13:31   #4769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I still feel this is the bigger reason, and not anything about Mumbai's ambient weather or conditions.

Whereas your commute has been sub-10 km one-way in the other cities you've lived in, has it been closer to 8-10 kms?
In Hyd: Madhapur to KBR Park via Kavuri Hills/Jubilee Hills - 7 km one-way, about 25 minutes.

In Chennai: Kottivakkam to Injambakkam via ECR - 5 km one way, about 20 minutes.

In Mumbai: Malad (W) to Goregaon (E) - about 4.5 km one way, 45 minutes commute (!) on a good day.

In Bangalore: Marathahalli to Kodihalli (near Diamond District) via Old Airport Road - 6.5 km one-way, takes about 40 minutes.

I don't think such small (distance) variations make such a large difference in the mileage. It is more likely that the stop-sleep-go nature of Mumbai rush hour is the primary reason.

(I was talking of the driving conditions in Mumbai - not its weather)
Old 29th August 2013, 13:41   #4770
BHPian

Quote:

In Hyd: Madhapur to KBR Park via Kavuri Hills/Jubilee Hills - 7 km one-way, about 25 minutes.

In Chennai: Kottivakkam to Injambakkam via ECR - 5 km one way, about 20 minutes.

In Mumbai: Malad (W) to Goregaon (E) - about 4.5 km one way, 45 minutes commute (!) on a good day.

In Bangalore: Marathahalli to Kodihalli (near Diamond District) via Old Airport Road - 6.5 km one-way, takes about 40 minutes.

I don't think such small (distance) variations make such a large difference in the mileage. It is more likely that the stop-sleep-go nature of Mumbai rush hour is the primary reason.

(I was talking of the driving conditions in Mumbai - not its weather)
Malad (w) to goregaon (e) itself should give u an indication of why more fuel. I am sure your driving time is lesser than idling time. In the Mumbai heat with AC on and idling long with stop go traffic cars are bound to consume more. I get between 8-9 on my swift can't expect the civic to be any better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks