Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2013, 17:49   #4726
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Thanks.

Is only the plastic/glass cover broken? How is the tail light assembly?
Folks,

I changed my right tail light for 2500/- today. Not OEM.
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:09   #4727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Folks,

I changed my right tail light for 2500/- today. Not OEM.
Where did you buy it from?
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:21   #4728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I do not want to create an out cry here. But these tricks are pretty much used especially in some serious slopes. Yes the vehicle will still move forward!
Isn't it impossible to do this?

afaik, the reverse gear will not engage in case of forward movement of the vehicle, even if the driver forces this.
In most transmissions, both manual and automatic, have shaft locks which prevents this. This particular lock is mostly in place to prevent accidental reverse.
Isn't it so?

Last edited by sarathlal : 22nd August 2013 at 08:32.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:46   #4729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I do not want to create an out cry here. But these tricks are pretty much used especially in some serious slopes. Yes the vehicle will still move forward!
Laluks, it will be interesting if you could share the process and the insight on it. Post it on any thread which you feel is relevant for this discussion.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:24   #4730
Senior - BHPian

If you guys want to know the complete insight into reverse gear tactics on steep slopes, contact DBHPian HV Kumar. He has done that innumerable time on the treacherous steep slopes at Ladakh.
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:16   #4731
BHPian

Just when the wiper blades were replaced 2 days back, a new stray dog in colony spent the night on the car's roof.
Damage:
- scratched roof
- minor scratches windshield (he slid down on the windshield to get off the car)
- scratched bonnet
- bit new wiper blades to pieces including upper cover (driver's side rubber is intact so its manageable but for few more days, passenger side completely chewed off, cleaning rubber that is)
- chewed passenger side windshield washer nozzle and its not working now, don't know how much that will cost

:Fru[IMG][/IMG]strati
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:22   #4732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Checkout SPARE MART.
Contact Mr Kawaljit Singh
Last year I had brought some OEM suspension parts from the above shop.
http://www.spare-mart.com/contact.html
Well he's quoting Rs 1300 for the lights. My tail lights are intact. It's the right side light on the boot which has broken. I'll probably go and check it out next week when I get some time.

@Gaurav - That is tough luck. The dogs in your area are ruthless!
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:32   #4733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Today, my Civic completed 7 years (75k kms.). I got it home on 02-Aug-2006.

It has been doing its duty very well. Before Civic, I had never kept a car more than 4 years but I can't sell it just like that.

It has been almost trouble free experience except famous mount changes which I have done few time but keeping other things in minds - no regrets. It still drives as good as new.
Well said.

My equipment is nearing five years and I doubt if I'll change it in the near future.

It is as smooth as it was when I got it, and on highways it is REALLY THE KING I don't want to mention my normal highways speeds here but there's simply no match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
I have an issue with the window controls. The switch for the passenger side window seems to be jammed. Apparently, this has caused the motor on the window to heat up and finally fail. The magnets on the motor are stuck to the coil. A new motor is about 9K (something i did not expect).

Has anyone seen similar failures? apparently there was a recall on a few City models because of a similar issue.
I had a similar issue - the window went up in an angle and got stuck.

Search for the word 'window' in this thread - I've also posted a photo.

Check this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2861368

I had to replace the entire assembly.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 23rd August 2013 at 12:49. Reason: Please use the edit function instead of creating back-to-back posts in quick succession
Old 23rd August 2013, 20:07   #4734
Senior - BHPian

Had bought a new set of Bridgestone tyres last week. And thanks to MCD, I've got a massive tear in one of them. The cut is about an inch thick. The guy says he can repair it...make it as good as new...use some machine or something. Is it worth getting it done or might as well buy a new tyre ( albeit with a heavy heart)?
Old 24th August 2013, 07:06   #4735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Had bought a new set of Bridgestone tyres last week. And thanks to MCD, I've got a massive tear in one of them. The cut is about an inch thick. The guy says he can repair it...make it as good as new...use some machine or something. Is it worth getting it done or might as well buy a new tyre ( albeit with a heavy heart)?
Sorry to hear of the misfortune.

Regarding repairing, imo, it depends on couple of factors;
1. Where the cut is. If its in the sidewall, its risky to get it repaired and re use. Replacement would be better.
2. The cost of repair. If its relatively cheap, it will make sense to get it repaired and use it at least as the spare.
Old 24th August 2013, 08:30   #4736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Sorry to hear of the misfortune.

Regarding repairing, imo, it depends on couple of factors;
1. Where the cut is. If its in the sidewall, its risky to get it repaired and re use. Replacement would be better.
2. The cost of repair. If its relatively cheap, it will make sense to get it repaired and use it at least as the spare.
I had changed two tyres couple of months back they've run for about 6k kms. The damaged tyre was one of the new ones :/

I'm buying a replacement today. Wouldn't want to risk safety for a few thousand rupees. Now the only question is which Tyre should I keep as a spare? My options.

1. The new tyre which has got its sidewall damaged, the Bridgestone dealer I bought it from has assured me of a good repair. Some technique with some machine etc.

2. The one I had originally kept as a spare. It was manufactured in 2006 and did service till last year when I replaced it with new ones and relegated it as a spare.

So my options for spare tyre is between one with a repaired sidewall and the other which is in good condition but 6-7 years old so the rubber would have become hard. Suggestions?
Old 24th August 2013, 14:00   #4737
BHPian

Have got one problem with my Civic, the key is not getting inserted in the door lock properly due to which I'm unable to lock or unlock the door by key. With the remote key, car is getting locked and unlocked properly but if I try to lock or unlock with the help os key rather than remote then I've a problem. Both the keys ( Remote and On Remote) are working fine in ignition and boot properly. What are the options available with me. Going to HONDA will not help as they mostly will like to replace both the keys and all the locks which will be costly affair. I can continue with the remote locking and unlocking but will like to get the lock rectified.
Any one who has experienced similar issue can help. Also any good place to get the same repaired preferably in South Mumbai. Experts pls help.
Old 25th August 2013, 00:30   #4738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Here's the estimate (quote) of my damages from H.S.S. for the 'D' light blinking:
(This is after they have dismantled the gear+tranny)

01. 22544-RPC-003(Clutch Low) Disk Clutch - 6 pcs - Rs. 3540
02. 22544-RPC-004(Clutch 2nd & 4th) Disk Clutch - 8 pcs - Rs. 4720
16. 95701-06045-08 Bolt Flange - 1 pc - Rs. 10
17. 16722-RNA-A01 Hose Comp - Fuel Feed - 1 pc - Rs. 1278

Labour and VAT are extra. All prices above are multiplied with units required (For example, clutch discs are 590 per piece). I have personally checked these parts after HSS has dismantled and except clutch discs can't make sense of any other part

Gave them a go ahead for the replacement. They have started to procure the parts and ETA is 10 days.
So, finally the CIVIC comes back to me.
Total Damages: 134585 (32000 was for headlights which was replaced as the previous one was aging - So its close to a lac - including 60K estimate + VAT + labour)

Here's the bill - to fix the 'D' issue (Which my friends have also been waiting for )
The parts took 14 days from Noida/Chennai warehouses, and couple of weeks to fix, test, failure-fix-retest.

I have been patiently following up with the service center, and the area manager appreciated my patience - which he says was instrumental in doing justice to my car to his satisfaction. Close to 100 kms of road testing was carried out. I have reimbursed 500 worth of petrol, for which they provided me fuel bills. Rest was from fuel I had filled previously.

I actually ended up buying a wagon-R till I was CIVIC-less.

Anyways, here's the scanned image of the bills:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-page01.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-page02.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-page03.jpg

Will share pics of the faulty parts in a future post. I'll be compiling that soon.

Last edited by devsoftech : 25th August 2013 at 00:34.
devsoftech is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 07:45   #4739
Senior - BHPian

@devsoftech

That is one hefty bill. How old is your Civic? You could have cut down on your bill by getting the headlights from outside, from a reliable place. For the amount you paid to HASS,you could have got more powerful lights or even projectors. Hopefully she is back in perfect condition and as good aa ever!
Quote:
I had changed two tyres couple of months back they've run for about 6k kms. The damaged tyre was one of the new ones :/

I'm buying a replacement today. Wouldn't want to risk safety for a few thousand rupees. Now the only question is which Tyre should I keep as a spare? My options.

1. The new tyre which has got its sidewall damaged, the Bridgestone dealer I bought it from has assured me of a good repair. Some technique with some machine etc.

2. The one I had originally kept as a spare. It was manufactured in 2006 and did service till last year when I replaced it with new ones and relegated it as a spare.

So my options for spare tyre is between one with a repaired sidewall and the other which is in good condition but 6-7 years old so the rubber would have become hard. Suggestions?
So I went in for the replacement. Ended up continuing my 6 year old tyre as the spare as the one with sidewall damage was just too risky, even post repair.

@All

What brand are the OEM brake pads? I had seen some talk of Nissin brake pads. Are they good? The HASS are quoting 7-8k a pair and I've already got a hefty clutch replacement and 80k service lined up.

Any idea from where I can source the Nissin pads or any other you recommend?
Old 25th August 2013, 12:05   #4740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
So, finally the CIVIC comes back to me.
Total Damages: 134585 (32000 was for headlights which was replaced as the previous one was aging - So its close to a lac - including 60K estimate + VAT + labour)
Thanks for sharing the financial details with us. It is indeed a biggie bill, and never imagined would come up to this, when we were initially discussing about the problem :(

Quote:
@devsoftech

How old is your Civic?
Its a 2006 Civic

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks