Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 01:54   #4741

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Bangalore Civic Owners,

I'm currently using an OHC & plan on upgrading.

My options are ANHC 2009 & the Civic 2008.

My monthly drive is about 1200km & my OHC gives me approx. 11kmpl in traffic.

I was very curious to know what the regular FE a Civic gets in Bangalore traffic.

I just love the Civic, but the FE could just be a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance.

Sam
Old 26th August 2013, 06:57   #4742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer 4x4 View Post
Bangalore Civic Owners,

I'm currently using an OHC & plan on upgrading.

My options are ANHC 2009 & the Civic 2008.

My monthly drive is about 1200km & my OHC gives me approx. 11kmpl in traffic.

I was very curious to know what the regular FE a Civic gets in Bangalore traffic.

Thanks in advance.

Sam
With the traffic in Bangalore mainly being bumper to bumper, I guess fuel efficiency will be around 10kmpl. You'll have to make weekend excursions to Ooty, coorg and the likes to enjoy this beauty
Old 26th August 2013, 17:24   #4743
Team-BHP Support

Hi Guys,

Here's a query for Civic owners.

Vehicle details
2009 August Civic A/T, well maintained, regularly serviced. (Its just crossed the 2+2 year extended warranty period).
Running approx 45,000 kms.

The Problem
While driving it last week, I noticed the instrument cluster suddenly show some lights lighting up (handbrake, door open and boot open signs). At the same time, the mileage, RPM, Odometer etc sweep back to zero and come back on. Its almost like a sort of "on-off" that happens like when you turn the ignition key on and off.

Diagnosis

I've taken the car to two Honda A.S.S and both told me that basically the instrument Cluster has gone kaput. I asked how can that happen - never seen something like this happening in any of my cars and they both say ... "Sir, electronic part, can't say, etc. etc."

Cost being quoted is about 13-14,000 for the part plus about 1500 labour.

Questions

I found this an extremely unusual problem to face so just thought I'd put it up here to hear what other civic owners have to say about this. Also, has anyone had such a problem before?

Should I also explore reputable aftermarket service station pricing options to sort this or better to stay with Honda A.S.S. for a job like this. FYI, my car has never ever gone to any place other than Honda A.S.S. for even the smallest of jobs but just asking in case anyone has suggestions. I heard good things being mentioned about Jay Auto near Mahalakshmi station (used to be Hyundai service station; its now an all vehicle service station)

Any other suggestions / inputs etc are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Old 26th August 2013, 17:35   #4744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The Problem
While driving it last week, I noticed the instrument cluster suddenly show some lights lighting up (handbrake, door open and boot open signs). At the same time, the mileage, RPM, Odometer etc sweep back to zero and come back on. Its almost like a sort of "on-off" that happens like when you turn the ignition key on and off.
Check if the battery terminals are connected properly and they are not loose.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 19:09   #4745
BHPian

Quote:

Sam

In my humble opinion, Civic and FE is an oxymoron !

When you look at Civic (merely looking, not driving) the thought of FE will vanish

That said, Civic is wonderful for National Highway driving (not on the so-called Mysore-Bangalore road). If you are too worried about FE, and you do not normally hit the six-lane strips often, then Civic may not be for you.

From another point, on a highway, Civic has demonstrably superior pick-up, power and speed that very, very few cars can match - if driven the way a Civic has to be driven. So, if you love Power and Speed, then Civic is a good choice.

I drive in Bangalore City, and also on the highways (e.g., Bangalore - Tirunelveli). Within the city, my driving pattern is different (e.g., gear change at 2000 - 3000 RPM), from that of the highway (e.g., gear change at 4000 - 5000 RPM). It works like magic. I have found both scenarios very comfortable. I have an MT, 2008 model, and no problem whatsoever till now, in spite of my very aggressive driving (e.g., high-speed, sharp turns).

Lastly, I just don't know - nor have I ever calculated that - what FE my equipment gives. My top priorities are Power and Speed, and my equipment has never failed delivering that.

Hope this helps in your purchase. All the best.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 23:05   #4746
Senior - BHPian

Well the fuel efficiency bit is not entirely accurate. I get decent mileage from my March 2007 Honda Civic. Around 12.5-13 kmpl in the city..and close to 15 on highways. Although I admit that my daily commute of around 40 odd kms includes 20 kms through a ridge area..smooth drive..so that aids in improving overall city efficiency figure.
Old 27th August 2013, 07:35   #4747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post

In my humble opinion, Civic and FE is an oxymoron !

Lastly, I just don't know - nor have I ever calculated that - what FE my equipment gives. My top priorities are Power and Speed, and my equipment has never failed delivering that.

Hope this helps in your purchase. All the best.

To add on to what Templehof has mentioned, Civic is an insanely amazing car to drive, both on and off the highway

To get the best FE in Civic, one needn't drive sedately though. You can still revv it up the redline, but try to maintain the rpm range in 1.5k-3k whenever you can maintain a constant pace. Do it, and that will give almost unbelievable mileage even though the beast will be in 100 pluses.

Not too low a revv, nor higher, which in turn turns out to be the normal driving mode. R18A is built to be on power mode normally and it is in this range that it gets the maximum economy, quite unlike any other machine, and thats why this engine is such a gem.

Only one grudge in terms of driving perspective is, I cant take it on rough roads.
Old 27th August 2013, 14:45   #4748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore Civic Owners,

I regularly get 9kmpl in Bangalore City with 100% AC.
On highways I get 16-17kmpl on sedate driving.
I'm happy with the F.E. of Civic
Old 27th August 2013, 15:09   #4749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
16 - 17 ? At what RPM range and speed do you drive generally
Old 27th August 2013, 15:17   #4750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
16 - 17 ? At what RPM range and speed do you drive generally
Around 100-110kmph, Almost at 2.5K-3K RPM
Old 27th August 2013, 15:48   #4751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Man those are good figures for the highway.
For me it is the other way round, Bangalore traffic gives me around 12Kmpl and highways around 9 to 10
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 16:32   #4752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Man those are good figures for the highway.
For me it is the other way round, Bangalore traffic gives me around 12Kmpl and highways around 9 to 10
Hmmm. I get 9kmpl because, In Bangalore my travel involves mostly around CBD, JC Road, Lalbagh road which involves slow moving traffic.
On highway(100% highway), if driven even more sedately I can get 18kmpl+ (not crossing 85kmph), but that would be too slow for me and others too.
Old 27th August 2013, 23:08   #4753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Well the fuel efficiency bit is not entirely accurate. I get decent mileage from my March 2007 Honda Civic. Around 12.5-13 kmpl in the city..and close to 15 on highways. Although I admit that my daily commute of around 40 odd kms includes 20 kms through a ridge area..smooth drive..so that aids in improving overall city efficiency figure.
Somewhat similar figures here - 10.5 to 12 kmpl in-city over most of the 3 years I have had the car, and 12.5 to 15.5 kmpl on the highway depending on the kind of highway.

Of late, though, with office only 5 kms away (not enough of a warm-up) and with a months old baby in the car at times (lot of idling to keep AC on given the hot and humid North Indian weather at this time of the year), I got 8.5 kmpl in the city in the last couple of tankfuls, which has been the worst in my 37 months/37000 kms with the car.

In normal city driving with AC on all the time 9-10 kmpl is easy to manage. I have mostly enjoyed higher in-city FE because my commutes have been mostly around the outskirts of wherever I've lived after getting the Civic.

While FE should hypothetically not stop you from enjoying this kind of car, FE doesn't actually dampen your enjoyment of it in the real world.

Regards,
spadix
Old 27th August 2013, 23:18   #4754
BHPian

Quote:

Sam
I have a 2008 Apr Civic MT which gives 9.0 kmpl in Bangalore city traffic. I am not a sedate driver nor a reckless one, a reasonably aggressive one you can say.

In highways its a mixed bag. Have gotten 16 kmpl while doing speeds in the range of 110-120. In a fairly aggressive Bangalore - Chennai drive at speeds hitting 180+ km/hr range I got around 6 kmpl.

Note that I have AC on at all times. City driving is mostly alone, while outstation travel is usually with 3-4 adults and a 9 yr old.

Hope this is of help.

Last edited by alabjarus : 27th August 2013 at 23:22. Reason: Additional info
Old 28th August 2013, 07:09   #4755
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore Civic Owners,

Thanks in advance.

Sam
My 2006 S MT still gives me an avg of 11-12 kmpl in Mumbai traffic. Usually its just me on office runs. Highway runs sometimes giving me 16 kmpl if driven at a steady 80-90 kmph. Think you should get around 10 kmpl on Bangalore traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks