Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2013, 15:49   #4771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It is more likely that the stop-sleep-go nature of Mumbai rush hour is the primary reason.

(I was talking of the driving conditions in Mumbai - not its weather)
Ah, my bad.

Then it's idling.

Idling consumes a lot of fuel. TBHPian "dot" (was quite regular here, wonder where he is now), if I remember correctly, measured that the R18A consumes 0.74 liters per hr with AC off and 1.2 liters per hr with AC on when idling.

Like I had also mentioned in that earlier post of mine, this is the second big reason (in addition to short commute) that is contributing to my Civic's current very low FE. I'm really waiting for November now!

My experience with commutes has been as follows, based on 4 very distinct commute patterns over 3 years with the Civic -

< 8 km one-way with AC and extremely controlled (i.e. very little to non-existent red signals) idling - around 9.5 kmpl
< 8 km one-way with AC and lots of idling (again with AC) as is the case these days - 8.5 kmpl
~12 km one-way, without AC and normally controlled (i.e. no shutting off at red signals) idling - 11.5-12 kmpl
~12 km one-way somewhat fast, with AC and extremely controlled idling - 10.5 kmpl

Regards,
spadix
Old 29th August 2013, 17:18   #4772
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

Idling consumes a lot of fuel. TBHPian "dot" (was quite regular here, wonder where he is now), if I remember correctly, measured that the R18A consumes 0.74 liters per hr with AC off and 1.2 liters per hr with AC on when idling.
Nopes, that was not "dot".
It was me who had scanguage, measured through SGII.
It's not 1.2LPH, it's 1.07LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Here is my scangauge reading.
Idle - 0.74 LPH (Liters per hour)
Idle with AC - 1.07 LPH with AC set to 23d
I'm yet to test the figures when coasting in gear @ same speed(with & W/o AC)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2502536
Old 29th August 2013, 18:23   #4773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

Nopes, that was not "dot".
It was me who had scanguage, measured through SGII.
It's not 1.2LPH, it's 1.07LPH
My apologies, sushrutha. It's almost 2 years back now, so memory was a bit feeble.

Did you get a chance to measure the consumption while the car is in motion? It would be an interesting exercise to compare output of scan gauge with the on-board indicator, which many (including me) have reported to be optimistic to the tune of 1.5-2 kmpl based on tankful-to-tankful calculations.

Regards,
spadix
Old 29th August 2013, 19:34   #4774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
So its more powerful than the Civic?
/
Might be....is this true for all variants of Altis?

However, I'm yet to see one Altis drive ahead of me in the highways in the last 5 years
Tempelhof is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 23:02   #4775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post

However, I'm yet to see one Altis drive ahead of me in the highways in the last 5 years
The other is a diesel variant which does 88 ps I guess. The Civic is definetely more sporty.
Old 30th August 2013, 05:21   #4776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nopes, just the 1.8 one. And the difference we are talking about is around ~6 horses. So, its just a win on paper i guess.

And your second statement even stamps that

Quote:
The other is a diesel variant which does 88 ps I guess. The Civic is definetely more sporty.
Yep, the dynamics are unmatched wrto the competition in discussion.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:08   #4777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Nopes, just the 1.8 one. And the difference we are talking about is around ~6 horses. So, its just a win on paper i guess.

And your second statement even stamps that

Yep, the dynamics are unmatched wrto the competition in discussion.
I guess the Altis has poorer 0-100 figures. But i remember some folks claiming the Laura is a better car overall in terms of specs.

Here goes:

Surprisingly though, the Civic is still the best to drive, a lot of people i know were distraught when Honda pulled the plug.
Old 30th August 2013, 13:50   #4778
e2p
BHPian

Need help, please.

I was in search for a civic and zeroed in on one now. We checked the service history with one of our contacts in Honda service and found the records are good for the car. We havent checked the insurance claims though. Will be doing it tomorrow.

Its a black SMT, done 47k and it is with the second owner. The make is 2007 March, as per the RTO records (where can I find the VIN?, will search the VIN thread). The 4 tyres are good (yokohoma), spare is bridgestone (old). All glasses say '07'. The asking price is 5.75, however the Honda guy says we can take it for 5.25, he has not seen the car. I liked the car, so first question is whether 5.25 is too much for the car?.

We have not done a test drive of the car, as I am waiting for my friend who owns a civic, to do that and assess the car. At present I own a Wagon R and the civic is primarily for long drives. I am planning to keep my Wagon R for city ride.

Kinldy let me know what all are the must do checks on a civic (or please direct me to any PDi available for Civic)?!

Please let me know if anymore information is required and I will be able to get the same and share. I have been following this thread closely, however, as Civic is a totally new territory for me, I need expert adivce. I will like to decide on this tomorrow morning, so your valuable inputs are required as soon as you could, today,

I Love Civic.
Old 30th August 2013, 20:45   #4779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2p View Post
I Love Civic.
Welcome to the Club

Quote:
Surprisingly though, the Civic is still the best to drive, a lot of people i know were distraught when Honda pulled the plug.
Even I'm not happy as to the decision taken by Honda in India...however, when I go to the US I see lots and lots of Civic - some of them very new, and cute looking. I hope Honda in India releases the next version.
Tempelhof is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 22:38   #4780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need help, please.
(where can I find the VIN?, will search the VIN thread).
If you were asking, where on Civic, you can find the VIN, the easiest one is on the front left, door sill.

Wildon's thread is the place to go for VIN decoding.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...cture-vin.html

Here is a quick snapshot though.

9th character represents the MONTH of Manufacture
10th character represents the YEAR of Manufacture
Month Codes:

A = JAN
B = FEB
C = MAR
D = APR
E = MAY
F = JUN
G = JUL
H = AUG
J = SEP
K = OCT
L = NOV
M = DEC

Year Codes:

A = 2010
B = 2011
C = 2012
D = 2013
E = 2014
F = 2015
G = 2016
H = 2017
J = 2018
K = 2019
Quote:

Kinldy let me know what all are the must do checks on a civic (or please direct me to any PDi available for Civic)?!
The normal used car PDI, plus a closer look at the health of engine mount, and the condition of its under body.
Quote:
I Love Civic.

Quote:
Welcome to the Club

Even I'm not happy as to the decision taken by Honda in India...however, when I go to the US I see lots and lots of Civic - some of them very new, and cute looking. I hope Honda in India releases the next version.
Exactly, the latest version which almost resembles the 9th gen Accord is a well made one.
But honestly, the 8th gen Civic is a timeless creation which even Honda found impossible to improve on, atleast in the looks department.

Having said that, I liked the way they stopped the Civic here. It was given a respectful exit without any frantic 'stock clearance sell offs'.

Last edited by sarathlal : 30th August 2013 at 22:39.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 11:26   #4781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need help, please.

I liked the car, so first question is whether 5.25 is too much for the car?.
Too much in my opinion. Second owner, older pre-face lift model, 47k. km Start with 2.5 or so and max 3 or 3.5. Best way is to ask dealers as if you own a similar civic and want to sell it and see what they quote.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 11:59   #4782
BHPian

Quote:
I was in search for a civic and zeroed in on one now. We checked the service history with one of our contacts in Honda service and found the records are good for the car.

Its a black SMT, done 47k and it is with the second owner. The make is 2007 March
If it had been properly maintained in the past, the Civic will have a long-long life into the future!

Mine is a 2007 May model (AT) and has done 1,29,000+ kms till now.
And I never had any problem worth mentioning so far.

Regarding FE (and power) it has a 'Jekyll and Hyde' character, it has given me as high as 18kmpl and as less as 7.5kmpl based on driving patterns and type of roads.

On 4-lane Highways, it is in its element: smooth, stable, safe and luxurious!
manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 21:22   #4783
e2p
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Too much in my opinion. Second owner, older pre-face lift model, 47k. km Start with 2.5 or so and max 3 or 3.5. Best way is to ask dealers as if you own a similar civic and want to sell it and see what they quote.

I checked with some of my friends who are broker/dealers and also some of my friends in Calicut (my home town - learnt that the luxury used car market is flourishing there) and what I could conclude from data from multiple sources is that 4 - 4.25 is a good deal for this car. As I will be the third owner everyone suggested me that I do not go beyond 4.5. The general feedback I got is that there are not much takers for Civic nowadays and the market value is down.

'Are you crazy?!! ' was the first response from all quarters. Then they will talk about low mileage, resale value and availability of parts, etc etc. One more disadvantage they pointed out is that the model is not in production now. The final comment from everyone was what the heart spoke - 'Its an amazing car' - no one disputed this point. At this point 4.5 L is suggested - till then it is 3.5 - 4 ish.

The tires are all new, which is an advantage. The interiors are just ok. There is rear spoiler and front fog lights.

We were unable to test drive it today as the car was not available during my convenient time. So this has been postponed to Monday, if the car is not gone by then.

Thank you Sandeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof
Welcome to the Club
Thank you. Not yet there still. The search may have to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal
Here is a quick snapshot though.
Thanks a lot for sharing the info, yes I had gone through the VIN thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal
The normal used car PDI, plus a closer look at the health of engine mount, and the condition of its under body.
I was unable to find the used car PDI checklist. What I got is a pdf, which I think is for new cars. Would be great if someone could point me to the correct link. I checked the engine mount and there is no gap, so I assume this is good. I haven't checked the under body, how do we check this - take it to a ramp? or kneel down and look under? Sorry for a dumb question, if it is.

Also one more thing - could you please comment on the prices that I mentioned above? The car is in Trivandrum (KL-01). The present owner bought it in May 2013 and it was purchased from Mahindra first choice. I feel that this is one reason why the car is priced high. The owner has not told me a final price he expects though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim
On 4-lane Highways, it is in its element: smooth, stable, safe and luxurious!
Very true. Good to learn about how good your car is. Touch wood, let it clock more and more miles without giving you any trouble.

However I feel pity for these kind of cars here - that they have to run on the roads of Kerala. Oh did I say roads?!! Some one please save us from the potholes

Thanks a lot all of you - for your time and assistance.
Old 1st September 2013, 00:34   #4784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was unable to find the used car PDI checklist. What I got is a pdf, which I think is for new cars. Would be great if someone could point me to the correct link.
Here it is;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html

Quote:
I haven't checked the under body, how do we check this - take it to a ramp? or kneel down and look under?
Check by kneeling down, If you could get it to ramps, perfect. This is to give you an idea on how badly the car had scraped, and possible resultant rust. This is just because, its from a second owner, and we dont know how the previous owner was.

Quote:
Also one more thing - could you please comment on the prices that I mentioned above? The car is in Trivandrum (KL-01). The present owner bought it in May 2013 and it was purchased from Mahindra first choice. I feel that this is one reason why the car is priced high. The owner has not told me a final price he expects though.
My take would be 4.25 - 4.5 is a good price, if the car is in good shape.

If possible, get the owner's phone number and goto Peninsular Honda and ask for the detailed service records. Tell them that you are going to buy the car and the check is for that. If they deny, get the owners consent, then and there. That will give you the entire service records.

The price varies widely in northern part of Kerala, so the price is likely to be little higher in Trivandrum.

Lastly, keep in mind, that if you hold your patience, you will get a good car and good price. Remember, Civic is equally difficult to buy second hand, as it is to sell it off. (I meant, the pre worshiped types and not just 'second hand'.)

Last edited by sarathlal : 1st September 2013 at 00:36.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 12:04   #4785
Senior - BHPian

It is heartbreaking to see this beautiful car being quoted resale prices less below 5 lacs. I bought my V-AT new in 2010 for about 15.8 lacs on road. I tried doing a check in Carwale and it turns out it may be worth about 9 lacs in excellent condition. Not that I have any plans to sell it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks