Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 12:03   #2386
Team-BHP Support

Re: Reason to worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
So this could just as possibly have been caused by a stone or pebble that landed from somewhere, although there's a tree right above this general area in that open parking slot outside our house.
Doesn't look like it was caused by a stone. Culprit seems to be some kind of acidic chemical. Do the cleaning chaps use chemicals to clean the interiors?
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 12:10   #2387
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
AC on or off hardly has any bearing on FE. I had the .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
On the Civic you feel nothing, so should have a negligible (<0.2kpl) drop at worst.
Here is my scangauge reading.
Idle - 0.74 LPH (Liters per hour)
Idle with AC - 1.07 LPH with AC set to 23d
I'm yet to test the figures when coasting in gear @ same speed(with & W/o AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
Shall I get this work done at honda, or some other place. My location is Gurgaon.
- Power window panels (LHS RHS) (Plastic housing containing power window buttons).
- Gear Knob
- Handbrake plastic
- All pedals
- Wiper blades
- Clutch assembly (clutch is a bit hard - what could be the reason)
Congratulations on your new buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
get them painted in the same original color by a good painter should cost you max of 1k for both the panels same applies for gear knob too.
Rightly said Jatin, I got all the four power window panels painted with metallic silver+lacquer (clear coat), costed me 750Rs at a reputed paint workshop. Fantastic paint work.

Quote:
2.Wiper blades from honda should cost you around 500rs just for the rubber stripes which require replacing go with honda only as in open market this is not easily available and secondly fakes ruin the glass.
Yep each is around 500Rs, but ~950Rs for both the wiper blade rubber(Passenger side is small)

Quote:
3.If pedals are excessively worn out then you have to go to honda only for that or you can go to your local accssories shop and ask around for pedals stock or aftermarket.
For around 2000Rs (Here in BLR @ JC Road) you'll get some nice Aluminium pedals, they look like some racing pedals & Looks good too

Last edited by sushrutha : 12th September 2011 at 12:11.
sushrutha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 15:32   #2388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My immediate reaction will be an immediate touch up. Only with metallic paint you are looking at the panel at about 4k. Being is Gurgaon you can easily leave it for a few months.
Thanks, Professor!

I'll see if I can get a touch-up done for cheap. With black, colour matching isn't an issue, thankfully.

And like you, I think an immediate touch-up is required. Gurgaon (and the Northern plains in general) gets pretty humid at this time of the year, what with the absolutely still air and no wind whatsoever. RH was 94-95% when I checked the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Doesn't look like it was caused by a stone. Culprit seems to be some kind of acidic chemical. Do the cleaning chaps use chemicals to clean the interiors?
Thanks, smartcat, but the chemical angle doesn't explain the dent. Perhaps it was a mix of chemical damage and some frantic rubbing which possibly caused the dent. I need to ask the guy.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th September 2011, 21:09   #2389
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Here is my scangauge reading.
Idle - 0.74 LPH (Liters per hour)
Idle with AC - 1.07 LPH with AC set to 23d
I'm yet to test the figures when coasting in gear @ same speed(with & W/o AC)
These are great observations. Also corroborates with my estimates.

I lost about 3 L of petrol due to idle with AC on in three hours (ICE tuning ). How did I know? Usually I get 350-340-330 Kms for 34 L; totally city driving. 34L corresponds to tankful from 3 dots in FE gauge. This time I got 305Kms (FE=9) . Hence I lost about three liters.

Looking forward to see more info from your scangauge. BTW, I bought a ELM 327 bluetooth device. The OBDscope subscription needs to be activated..
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 11:36   #2390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post

Looking forward to see more info from your scangauge.
Sure, will do that.
The advantage of buying of the scanguage is, one can improve on driving habits which will marginally increase in FE. Like throttle position, optimal gear change, etc based on the feedback(output) from the SGII .
Heck the moment my ICE is on (Sub + amp ) there is very slight increase in Fuel consumption, samething when the liights are on (I have 35W hid kit with projectors, but not much of difference in Fuel consumption when these are ON). The moment highbeam & foglights are ON, one can note the difference in Fuel consumption(to a small extent).

Some negatives of SGII
* FE is not displayed in KMPL, it's rather LHK (liters per 100 KM ). New SGe has KMPL display.
* Slightly over priced. ~160$
Quote:
BTW, I bought a ELM 327 bluetooth device. The OBDscope subscription needs to be activated..
I was expecting this ;-). Sometime back you were discussing abt the same in OBD thread / someother thread.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 12:52   #2391
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks, Professor!

I'll see if I can get a touch-up done for cheap. With black, colour matching isn't an issue, thankfully.

And like you, I think an immediate touch-up is required. Gurgaon (and the Northern plains in general) gets pretty humid at this time of the year, what with the absolutely still air and no wind whatsoever. RH was 94-95% when I checked the other day.
The pics give an impression of a blue. Also, even getting perfect match on black, though easier is not trivial.

What I could see in the pics was that the underlayer (whitish) seems to have survived, so there is protection. Also, what matters is salt spray in coastal regions. A high RH is dodgy, but not fatal.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 17:07   #2392
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heck the moment my ICE is on (Sub + amp ) there is very slight increase in Fuel consumption,
This is expected, as energy to run the amp has to come from somewhere. How much does it change? Does it also depend on volume? I have tried digging the net to get some information on this topic, no luck yet.

Quote:
I was expecting this ;-). Sometime back you were discussing abt the same in OBD thread / someother thread.
Old 13th September 2011, 19:49   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The pics give an impression of a blue. Also, even getting perfect match on black, though easier is not trivial.
Yeah, I must blame the camera phone. It messes up the colours pretty badly.

Quote:
What I could see in the pics was that the underlayer (whitish) seems to have survived, so there is protection. Also, what matters is salt spray in coastal regions. A high RH is dodgy, but not fatal.
I haven't managed to take better quality pictures, but there is a very small area where I feel the metal is visible. I could be wrong, though.

And yes, thankfully there's no (need for) salt spray around here. And the high RH days should hopefully be over soon.

By the way, I figured out how this was caused. There's an electrical fuse box right next to the car's dedicated parking slot. The roof of this metallic box juts out. After parking the car today evening I just opened the door and the damaged spot aligns perfectly with corner of the metallic roof of this box.

This Sunday was the first time the cleaning chaps cleaned the interior of the car. I'm pretty sure the door banged into the box (and kept banging into it as the boys moved in and out of the car while cleaning it). I don't know if it was an honest mistake on their part or carelessness despite knowing what will happen.

The car can't be moved far enough away because the neighbours' car park slot is right next to ours. And I can't really expect the cleaning guys to be as careful with the car as owners are, especially when they have to attend to 20+ cars a day. Such is life.

I think I'll just ask them to stop cleaning the interiors from now on (and hopefully renegotiate the monthly charge down by some amount).

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th September 2011, 21:56   #2394
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, I figured out how this was caused. There's an electrical fuse box right next to the car's dedicated parking slot. The roof of this metallic box juts out. After parking the car today evening I just opened the door and the damaged spot aligns perfectly with corner of the metallic roof of this box.
If this is the reason, maybe for future's sake, you can stick a rubber/soft material strip on the fuse box, at the position where it can make contact with the door. Hopefully that will be acceptable to your apartment's management!

Also suggest to apply some clear nail polish to the chipped area, so it can protect the spot till it is repaired.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 22:39   #2395
BHPian

Have a question - does the hazard light switch light up when hazard lights are switched on? It doesnt seem to do that in mine.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:39   #2396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Have a question - does the hazard light switch light up when hazard lights are switched on? It doesnt seem to do that in mine.
I do not think it is supposed to glow when hazard lights are switched on. It glows only when we turn on the lights (parking/low/high beam)!
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 10:31   #2397
BHPian

Need a price estimate about the following:
- Complete suspension bush kit.
- Clutch
- Brake Discs
- Brake pads
Old 16th September 2011, 11:07   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
- Brake Discs
- Brake pads
Here are the amounts I paid way back in 14.04.2009:
Brake-Pads-Front - Rs.4,330
Brake-Disc-Front - Rs.4,480
(includes taxes, but w/o labour)
Old 16th September 2011, 15:03   #2399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Complete suspension bush kit.
- Clutch
- Brake Discs
- Brake pads
Clutch would cost you around Rs. 11,000.
Old 16th September 2011, 15:06   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Clutch would cost you around Rs. 11,000.
From HASS? Inclusive of Clutch Release bearing, Clutch and Pressure plate? Inclusive of Service cost?

Most Viewed