Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 12:28   #2281
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
One update. Fitted Sylvania Silverstar Ultras on both High and Low beams. Both set of bulbs were direct replacements, so it was an plug and play operation. The results are super. Light intensity is so much better than the poor stock Sylvanias. The bulbs were pricy though. Paid 38$ for each pair from amazon.
I want to upgrade my lights as well. Went for a 800 km trip during the long weekend and found the lights to be only average. Where did you get the fitment done ? Was it a DIY ? I remember from vasoo's post that one has to access the headlamp assembly for under the front wheel arch.
Old 17th August 2011, 21:59   #2282
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
any changes in the colour of the light?
The bulbs render a white light. Not too irritating though. I have no clue how to demonstrate, specially now the older bulbs being taken off, how can we compare on photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I want to upgrade my lights as well. Went for a 800 km trip during the long weekend and found the lights to be only average. Where did you get the fitment done ? Was it a DIY ? I remember from vasoo's post that one has to access the headlamp assembly for under the front wheel arch.
The bulbs were direct replacements as they are rated as 55W. The highbeams were DIY as accessing them were very easy by poping the bonnet. The low beams were a little more involved where we turned the front tyres to extreme ends and used the wheel well space to take off the plastic inner fender, one at a time. The plastic fender is clipped with buttons which can be yanked off. Then the low beam light harness can be accessed. I took Scorpo to the guy who did the auto-tensioner; he is near our office and he installed the lows in less than 5 mins. Felt silly as it was quite easy! Next time I will do it myself.
Old 18th August 2011, 01:09   #2283
Senior - BHPian

I bought Philips Xtreme Power from ebay. Here is the link. It will cost about AUD50 including shipping.

Philips X-treme Xtreme Power 9006 HB4 headlight bulbs | eBay
vasoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 09:04   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
The bulbs render a white light. Not too irritating though. I have no clue how to demonstrate, specially now the older bulbs being taken off, how can we compare on photos?
Well we can take a comparative shot with Scorpo on upgrades and Chicca on stocks. I am a sucker for those white bluish tinged lights. Have always loved them. Would love to have a dekho.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:55   #2285
BHPian

Bought a civic in April 2007 from Ring Road Honda.

6,000 km passenger seat bolts had to be tightened.

10,000 km (aug/sept 2007) the front suspension had to be replaced but the sound did not stop which would come while turning. Later on I was told that all civic cars have this problem. Reconfirmed during a casual chat last year with a mechnic at a dealership.

April 2008 - the fuel tank cable broke but my collegue to whom I had handed over the car got it replaced under warranty.

Bought a Corolla Altis in Dec 2009 and no problem in the first 20000 km except for rear brake pad replacement.

IMHO the civic is overrated and two friends in Mumbai too sold them within 8 months of purchase
Old 18th August 2011, 14:47   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMEX View Post
Bought a civic in April 2007 from Ring Road Honda.

6,000 km passenger seat bolts had to be tightened.

10,000 km (aug/sept 2007) the front suspension had to be replaced but the sound did not stop which would come while turning. Later on I was told that all civic cars have this problem. Reconfirmed during a casual chat last year with a mechnic at a dealership.

April 2008 - the fuel tank cable broke but my collegue to whom I had handed over the car got it replaced under warranty.

Bought a Corolla Altis in Dec 2009 and no problem in the first 20000 km except for rear brake pad replacement.

IMHO the civic is overrated and two friends in Mumbai too sold them within 8 months of purchase
Looks like you got yourself a bad lemon! Tough luck. I've not seen fuel tank cable problems reported in this forum. Front suspension is also not a common problem. I and a couple of my friends have 2007 Civic and we've done a lot of road coverage over the years. Haven't had it as yet.

Altis is a good car. Enjoy the ride. I prefer to be driven in an Altis and to drive a Civic
Old 18th August 2011, 17:59   #2287
Senior - BHPian

A huge problem is when one does not realize the kms done by the car when its bought pre owned.

I have heard of a person who will re set electronic meters for Rs 800/- in 15 mins with the help of a hand held gadget and a few wires connected to the right ends. I have seen my friend's Octy having lost 40k kms. from the time he met me in the morning and again when he met me in the evening, so i know it can be and is done. Nothing wrong with the meter. Its almost a year now and everythings fine, except the poor bloke who will buy it thinking the Octys actually done 30k kms.

The best is to check service books of the cars we buy and rely on them.
Old 18th August 2011, 19:50   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I have heard of a person who will re set electronic meters for Rs 800/- in 15 mins with the help of a hand held gadget and a few wires connected to the right ends. I have seen my friend's Octy having lost 40k kms. from the time he met me in the morning and again when he met me in the evening, so i know it can be and is done. Nothing wrong with the meter.
15 mins is too much, they can do it in 5 mins.. I have seen a few people do it, it needs a laptop with some software and a wire that connects the laptop to the ECU. Average price is around a grand here is delhi. Many drivers, infact increase the reading on od, they put all the fuel money for those kms in their pocket. Poor owner doesnt even get to know that the car has only clocked some 1k and the od is 500 kms ahead, in cars such as accord or upwards, 500kms means over Rs.4k of fuel...

But, I agree its best to check the service history, in case the reading on the od has been decreased.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th August 2011 at 19:55.
Old 19th August 2011, 11:58   #2289
Senior - BHPian

Some people are chronics. I once bought a Zen AT from a dealer (his own). I think I saw 21xxxkm on the odo, when I took delivery a week later it was reading 19xxx. Was there a need for this - the answer is no?I had done the deal, and given him the draft!
Old 19th August 2011, 14:37   #2290
Senior - BHPian

I have given My Civic "Indy" to Solitaire Honda for a service. The SA called up and said the rear brake pads need changing and will cost 6k for a set.I have asked them "not" to go ahead with the same and plan to get it done a month or two later.

Also called my local spare parts shop and was told original brake pads will cost upto 1800 a piece while the duplicates will be 1200 something.I am thinking of changing the brake pads at a independant garage,i hope it's not much of a complicated procedure.Am i doing the right thing or would it be wise to go to Honda for the brake pad job.

The prev owner has already changed the front brake pads.

thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 14:43   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I have given My Civic "Indy" to Solitaire Honda for a service. The SA called up and said the rear brake pads need changing and will cost 6k for a set.I have asked them "not" to go ahead with the same and plan to get it done a month or two later.

Also called my local spare parts shop and was told original brake pads will cost upto 1800 a piece while the duplicates will be 1200 something.I am thinking of changing the brake pads at a independant garage,i hope it's not much of a complicated procedure.Am i doing the right thing or would it be wise to go to Honda for the brake pad job.

The prev owner has already changed the front brake pads.

thanks
Sumeet, thats the way to go. Honda spare pricing is OTT. I replaced my front brake pads with OE Nissin branded pads for around 1.7K.

And don't worry its a very easy task that any independent garage should be able to do it and charge around 200 as labor.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 15:00   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Sumeet, thats the way to go. Honda spare pricing is OTT. I replaced my front brake pads with OE Nissin branded pads for around 1.7K.

And don't worry its a very easy task that any independent garage should be able to do it and charge around 200 as labor.

Cheers
Thanks Hiren,I kind of panicked when i heard i will have to shell 6k just for the pads that too minus the labor charges but then decided it's best to put it on hold,query on the same on t-bhp and then go ahead with the repair.

Thanks so much again and God Bless Team BHP.
Old 19th August 2011, 15:22   #2293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Thanks Hiren,I kind of panicked when i heard i will have to shell 6k just for the pads that too minus the labor charges but then decided it's best to put it on hold,query on the same on t-bhp and then go ahead with the repair.

Thanks so much again and God Bless Team BHP.
Least I could do buddy, and thats the beauty of this forum. There is an answer to your query somewhere in here.
I will hunt for the place from where I got the brake pads and SMS you the details. Its somewhere in Opera house and guess its Laxman auto but I will confirm.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 17:34   #2294
BHPian

I want to sell my Civic, feb 2008 model, 42K driven.... What should be the good price I can expect?
Bluish silver color.

New Ameron Pro battery, 2 tires needs to be changed and 40K service is done.
Complete service history always done from Honda and no accident....
My insurance has 7 year no claim bonus....

I really like the car but wont be using for next one year so that's why want to sell.....

Last edited by lalitk25 : 19th August 2011 at 18:03.
Old 20th August 2011, 10:33   #2295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
one does not realize the kms done by the car when its bought pre owned.

I have seen my friend's Octy having lost 40k kms. from the time he met me in the morning and again when he met me in the evening,

The best is to check service books of the cars we buy and rely on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
best to check the service history, in case the reading on the od has been decreased.
The place I live in is predominantly "business-esque" - service history is as good as not available

Of the four cars I've owned,only the Versa came with everything-including a free service coupon.The rest - no spare key,no owner's manual,no history, at least got to meet the owners.

The Padmini's speedo was off and read 96k ,yet the car served me much much better than another colleague's "better condition" Padmini of same vintage which had done less than half that running and was available with everything.

sold the Padmini to somebody in Akola for 41k(had to get a NOC) while the other Padmini got sold for 12k locally.

I strongly believe my Corolla's odo has been set back by several 10k;but my last few months of driving tells me that the machine is ok;at least there are no abnormal noises.

I just believe my experience to help me make appropriate , though not necessarily perfect choices, to suit my running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
replaced my front brake pads with OE Nissin branded pads for around 1.7K.

Cheers
Nissin does make brake parts for a lot of Jap brands,only hope what you got was pucca OE.

Mods:if you think it appropriate,you could move this post to the "Buying A Used Car" thread

Last edited by vigsom : 20th August 2011 at 10:34. Reason: message to the MODS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks