Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2011, 14:33   #2266
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Alloy spare wheel with a chrome valve.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-alloy.jpg

Yokohama AVS DB 195 65 R 15 as spare

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-yoko.jpg

I decided to open the trunk to see the condition of the spare wheel today and was pleasantly surprised (which turned unpleasant after a while) to see spare alloy and a Yokohama AVS Db instead of the stock good year.

Now i saw the tool kit was in place and one could not reach the valve which is chrome tipped to check/fill air pressure in the tyre.So i removed the tool kit and reversed the tyre (such a heavy burden the thing is) and somehow managed to fit it back in place.I wanted to position the valve within easy reach for the tyre attendant to check pressure once in a while.

After a sweaty few minutes i was able to to lock the tyre valve side up.Next i went on to put the tool kit back into place only to realise that kit is meant to be placed in the trunk with the tyre's open side up.The bottom shape of the tool kit is designed to fit the open end of the spare.

Oh great.Now i had to get the heavy tyre back out and place it reverse position to fit the tool kit inside.Try as much as i could i was not able to get the wheel in it's orginal position.The centre thingy which fixates the wheel center was just not fitting in the middle of the tyre.Plus the alloy and the tyre were so darn heavy i just gave up, reversed the wheel again after a few sweaty more mintues,covered the wheel with the mats etc and simply dumped the tool kit inside.It's now sitting inside the trunk free to rattle and move about when i drive the car.I guess i am going to get it fixed once i go for the service next week.

I would like to know from you guys how is one suppose to fill/check air in the spare tyre without having to go through the heavy duty work out method i just described.I am thinking of doing away with the tool kit holder and just keep the tools separate.The holder is made of thermocoal it seems. How do you guys check the tyre pressure in the spare?

thanks.
Old 14th August 2011, 17:10   #2267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
How do you guys check the tyre pressure in the spare?
I guess there is no other way other than taking the tyre out and put it back again. A nuisance, but I do it before I go on long trips, with a foot-pump and a pressure-gauge at home, in the mornings when the tyres are cold.

It require quite a bit of muscle power to unload and load the tyre (free exercise! ).
I take care that my back does not sprain!
Old 14th August 2011, 18:48   #2268
Senior - BHPian

I have question regarding the engine mounts for the Civic.Does it has only one engine mount which goes bad or there are other mounts too in the civic which might need looking into ?
Old 14th August 2011, 20:29   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I had a problem a couple of days ago, one of the rare times when my window (drivers side) was open and guess what - good luck - a crow or some bird dropped his load directly on my open window!

The inside moulding alongside the window got splatterd and even after immediately washing it with water and a good scrubbing - the stain is not going.

What should I use to clean this stain that will not spoil the plastic?

Please advice, the stain is driving me nuts!
Old 14th August 2011, 22:38   #2270
Senior - BHPian

First of all thats a very wrong place to get a bird stain.
Obviously not your fault. Just unlucky.
And to think this was one of those rare times that you have the window down.
Anyways first let me clarify here ~ I am no expert.
Here is my take on what to do.
Take one tablespoon of liquid washing detergent and mix with 2 cups of water. Try applying this and and use toothbrush to brush the stain off.

Mix a little baking soda with water. Make a little paste.
Apply the paste. Let it settle for a few seconds.
Wipe off with a damp cloth. Then wipe off again with a dry cloth.

Alternatively try the above pictured product.
Spray some on the affected area. Let is stay for a couple of seconds and then wipe off with a dry cloth.
Should do the trick and possibly the safest option.
Plus as a bonus you can still use the rest of the can to detail your interiors.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!
Attached Images

Old 15th August 2011, 09:12   #2271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
First of all thats a very wrong place to get a bird stain.
Obviously not your fault. Just unlucky.
And to think this was one of those rare times that you have the window down.
Anyways first let me clarify here ~ I am no expert.
Here is my take on what to do.
Take one tablespoon of liquid washing detergent and mix with 2 cups of water. Try applying this and and use toothbrush to brush the stain off.

Mix a little baking soda with water. Make a little paste.
Apply the paste. Let it settle for a few seconds.
Wipe off with a damp cloth. Then wipe off again with a dry cloth.

Alternatively try the above pictured product.
Spray some on the affected area. Let is stay for a couple of seconds and then wipe off with a dry cloth.
Should do the trick and possibly the safest option.
Plus as a bonus you can still use the rest of the can to detail your interiors.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!
Thanks mdsaab! Will try this and get back with the results.
Old 15th August 2011, 11:46   #2272
BANNED

Quote:
I would like to know from you guys how is one suppose to fill/check air in the spare tyre without having to go through the heavy duty work out method i just described.I am thinking of doing away with the tool kit holder and just keep the tools separate.The holder is made of thermocoal it seems. How do you guys check the tyre pressure in the spare?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I guess there is no other way other than taking the tyre out and put it back again. A nuisance, but I do it before I go on long trips, with a foot-pump and a pressure-gauge at home, in the mornings when the tyres are cold.
As far as I know all cars nowadays have the spare 'upside down' . I prefer a modified manin's approach. I always carry a portable electric pump. So I just mount the spare and then check/inflate the tyre. Murphy's law ensures that spare will never be up to pressure when required.
Old 15th August 2011, 11:53   #2273
Senior - BHPian

I decided to do away with the fancy tool kit case.I means what's the point of breaking your back once a while just to check/fill air in the spare.The car feels a few grams lighter now .

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0310.jpg

The tools ( i never had all of them and had to separtely purchase the tommy bar for 80 bucks as it was missing along with the hazard warning triangle) were stowed away in the corners of the trunk.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0311.jpg

The air pressure valve of the spare is easily accessible now.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 15th August 2011 at 11:54.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 10:43   #2274
BHPian

Quote:
I have question regarding the engine mounts for the Civic.Does it has only one engine mount which goes bad or there are other mounts too in the civic which might need looking into ?

Usually its the Hydraulic mount which gives away the first and if not attended in time then the due more load being put on the rest rubber type mounts they also go bust.

Its better during service to get all mounts checked just for peace of mind.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 12:28   #2275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
That is amazing. Never got more than 45k on stock tyres in any of the cars I owned.

BTW, there is some typo/mistake on the duration (5.5 years) you mentioned. The Civic was launched in India in July, 2006 and even if I booked it on the day it was launched, I got the delivery in first week of August.
Got the mistake its 4.5 years, and delivered in Feb 2007.

Driving steady, and do not remember toomany sudden braking incidents. Also fortunate to drive on highway to work & back.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:44   #2276
BHPian

Two questions

1. The right wiper bounces on the way back. However the wiper behaves well once there is a medium downpour or continous flow of rains

2. The negine mounting was changed close to 5 months back, loks flat now with some spillage, around it.

Please let me have your opinion. Will head to ASC shortly.
Old 16th August 2011, 13:53   #2277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtk
Two questions

1. The right wiper bounces on the way back. However the wiper behaves well once there is a medium downpour or continous flow of rains

2. The negine mounting was changed close to 5 months back, loks flat now with some spillage, around it.

Please let me have your opinion. Will head to ASC shortly.
Possible the wiper rubber needs to be replaced. When did you last replace it?
Old 16th August 2011, 22:55   #2278
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtk View Post
Two questions

As mdsaab said, typically when the life of the blade is near its end, the friction increases to make it jump rather than glide. A new set of blades may solve the issue.

One update. Fitted Sylvania Silverstar Ultras on both High and Low beams. Both set of bulbs were direct replacements, so it was an plug and play operation. The results are super. Light intensity is so much better than the poor stock Sylvanias. The bulbs were pricy though. Paid 38$ for each pair from amazon.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-51ig2vzigvl._sl500_aa300_.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-51tewm8hpfl._sl500_aa300_.jpg

Last edited by dot : 16th August 2011 at 22:57.
dot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 23:40   #2279
BHPian

The wiper blades are a year old.. Do they need to be changed every year.

This bouncing of the blade happens only on the right side and this is the second instance. Never on the left side.
Old 17th August 2011, 09:05   #2280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
As mdsaab said, typically when the life of the blade is near its end, the friction increases to make it jump rather than glide. A new set of blades may solve the issue.

One update. Fitted Sylvania Silverstar Ultras on both High and Low beams. Both set of bulbs were direct replacements, so it was an plug and play operation. The results are super. Light intensity is so much better than the poor stock Sylvanias. The bulbs were pricy though. Paid 38$ for each pair from amazon.
Dot, that was fast man. How do they look? a few pics please. Ofcourse i will see it in person, the pics are for the folks onboard. any changes in the colour of the light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtk View Post
The wiper blades are a year old.. Do they need to be changed every year.

This bouncing of the blade happens only on the right side and this is the second instance. Never on the left side.
The Honda OEM blades are of good quality, you should not need to replace them every year. But in some cases you might have to, it all depends on the conditions you use them. Too much sun can cause the rubber to get hard and crack. Do a little visual inspection of the wiper and see if anything looks odd compared to the other one.
Also give your windscreen a good clean, there could be something on the windscreen which is hampering it from gliding smoothly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks