Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2011, 21:31   #2251
BHPian

Michelin PLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@sumeet
The PLC on my civic has now done close to 6k in 9months...
The PLC on mine (195/65R15) has done 36,500 kms so far and looks like will do another 10K. They are also very silent.
Old 6th August 2011, 21:45   #2252
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@manim

thats a peace of mind for me after hearing this, 46-47k not bad. And still quite after soo many kms logged is also something to talk about.
Old 8th August 2011, 15:24   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Friends , I need a clarification.
I have a pre 2009 CIVIC, 09+ civic have the new smoked headlights & new bumper, which I feel is aesthetically good looking & slightly better then the previous (Type 1). But the rear lights are better in pre 09 Civic (round rear lights ) than the new ones (hexagonal).
Can this new front headlights & bumper be fitted on the pre 09 Civic with out any major modifications ?
Old 8th August 2011, 18:01   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Did you have to change the timing belt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Civic, does it come with Timing belt or Chain ? I feel it's Chain.
someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I think civic will have timing belt. Chain is mostly in diesel engines..Initially I thought cedia had timing chain but a mechanic confirmed that we will find chains mostly in diesel engines..
Civic does come with TIMING CHAIN.
From 2006 (8th generation Civic) on Honda changed to Chain.
Please refer the pic below.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-main.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
No, I have not changed the timing belt.
So most certainly, for the period of your usage(or car's lifetime) you may not be required to change the TIMING CHAIN under normal maintainence.
sushrutha is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 19:57   #2255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So most certainly, for the period of your usage(or car's lifetime) you may not be required to change the TIMING CHAIN under normal maintainence.
I wont take that chance, I am not sure about civic, but I think the recommended change should be around 1 lac kms and it is very important that one should change belt/chain at that point in time. A kaput timing belt/chain in worst case can lead to broken valves, guides, damaged head, damaged cylinders, damaged pistons, bent/broken con rod or much more. I believe its the most important thing, best replaced on or even before time .

Most recently, saw a sonata and montero with snapped belt/chain, where the former was given estimate of about 2 lacs (only valves, guides, head face and head gasket ), the latter was charged about 5 lac rupees for head face, valves, guides, pistons, conrods and much more. Have seen many other examples, so wont recommend stretching on timing belt/chain.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 8th August 2011 at 19:59.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 23:20   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends , I need a clarification.
I have a pre 2009 CIVIC, 09+ civic have the new smoked headlights & new bumper, which I feel is aesthetically good looking & slightly better then the previous (Type 1). But the rear lights are better in pre 09 Civic (round rear lights ) than the new ones (hexagonal).
Can this new front headlights & bumper be fitted on the pre 09 Civic with out any major modifications ?
There was a recent post where we had the picture of a Civic at the dealer with one new hexagonal tail lamp and another the old circular tail lamp. This makes me believe the cosmetic changes that they did should be plug N play.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:14   #2257
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
There was a recent post where we had the picture of a Civic at the dealer with one new hexagonal tail lamp and another the old circular tail lamp. This makes me believe the cosmetic changes that they did should be plug N play.
I had called up Deccan Honda, Pune, long time back to enquire about the same. I have a deep feeling that due to typical Puneri issues they had said that the tail-lamp conversion is not possible, till rr_zen(?) found out the specimen that laluks is talking about. What a bummer.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:35   #2258
BANNED

Re: Michelin PLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The PLC on mine (195/65R15) has done 36,500 kms so far and looks like will do another 10K. They are also very silent.
My experience with Maruti & Hyundai was while the original set did not last much more than 15,000 the replacement sets have given me 35,000+. I attribute this to poor alignment by the company / A$$.
Old 9th August 2011, 17:23   #2259
BHPian

Have done over 65,000 kms on the original Goodyear tyres, 5.5 years on the Civic. No complaints so far. Plan to push another 3K-5K kms on these.

Tread is fine but the tyre shops tell me to change, ASC says drive a little more before changing tyres.

On the previous Ford Ikon 1.6 did 73,000 kms before changing the original Brdge stone tyres.
Old 9th August 2011, 18:31   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtk View Post
Have done over 65,000 kms on the original Goodyear tyres, 5.5 years on the Civic. No complaints so far. Plan to push another 3K-5K kms on these.

Tread is fine but the tyre shops tell me to change, ASC says drive a little more before changing tyres.

On the previous Ford Ikon 1.6 did 73,000 kms before changing the original Brdge stone tyres.
Those are some phenomenal numbers, krishtk. How are the sidewalls doing? Do you see any cracks on them (especially near the rim) or are they intact?

Other than regularly checking and ensuring correct air pressure and regular balancing and alignment of wheels, do you suggest anything else (including driving technique) to extract such long life out of OEM tyres?

One SA at Pride Honda told me that there are a few Civic owners in Hyderabad who have managed to extract 60k kms out of the stock NCT5s, but they get balancing and alignment done every 5k kms irrespective of how and where they drive.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th August 2011, 18:49   #2261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That is amazing. Never got more than 45k on stock tyres in any of the cars I owned.

BTW, there is some typo/mistake on the duration (5.5 years) you mentioned. The Civic was launched in India in July, 2006 and even if I booked it on the day it was launched, I got the delivery in first week of August.
Old 9th August 2011, 21:14   #2262
BHPian

Quote:

My original NCT5 lasted only 30K kms (I did NOT do wheel-alignment regularly).
So waiting to hear your ideas.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:06   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Got hold of a Scangauge II today morning.
I'm yet to use it properly. I have just connected now, it was so easy to connect. Seems everything is working properly now (started the engine ...)
I'm yet to mount it properly too, I have just put (using double sided gum) it below the AC display(on dash, almost near the gear lever, it looks OEM ;-) )
Will write in brief later.

For those who are interested in knowing the OBD PORT location in CIVIC,
It's just below the left side of the steering column (almost your left knee will be close to it).

Here is the online pic (LHD Civic).
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-scangaugeii1.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dlc.jpg
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...ml#post2571733
Old 13th August 2011, 19:45   #2264
BHPian

Can someone guide me that what it will take and how much it will cost to convert fabric seats of 1.8S to leather seats of 1.8V. (Stock look and feel required).
Old 13th August 2011, 20:56   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva
Can someone guide me that what it will take and how much it will cost to convert fabric seats of 1.8S to leather seats of 1.8V. (Stock look and feel required).
Not done this before.
But here is my guess.
Anywhere from 15-35 K
Thats for PU to art leather or known as leatherette too
And for genuine leather seats it would be
40-50K.
For the leatherette stuff you can check your friendly neighbourhood accessories shop.
And for real leather stanley is a good bet. Though there are other options available.
Good luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks