Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 22:49   #1501
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@patron, did they say why the ECU error had cropped up in the first place.

@jatinpatel. Totally agreed on TB cleaning every year. My 40k service is still a few months away. Fidgeting for it now! Two must do items is TB cleaning and AT oil change.

@sushrutha, do post pics when you can. Did you install a relay too?
Old 29th March 2011, 15:59   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Got Hella Red grills fitted in my CIVIC.
Cost 1500 Rs including wiring +clamps+ labour
Horn Mrp - 1350 (got it for 1200Rs)
Labour+wiring -300Rs
Hella horns which are manufactured in Gurgoan are nowhere near to the ones which are manufactured in Germany.
Made in Germany ones are music to ears.
This is almost 7th Hella Red grill horn which i've put in my vehicles.

Agreed, the stock horns are just behind the fog lamp vents in the bumper.
Remove the top 5 cilps + bottom 4 clips, the horn is visible, take wiring from here and get it connected to the horns.
I'm insterested to see as where you have fit you horns without removing the bumpers. Please post a pic of the same.

I agree,
Lalu you are bang on target, bumper removal is very easy indeed, just followed the steps you have mentioned.

when almost all the clips were removed, we found it difficult to mount the horns on the front frame, so had to get the bumper removed.
Got the horn fitted between radiator & the front frame, there's lots of space to fit any horn, after putting a clamp. No drilling of holes either, there are 2 holes to fit the horn

I shall post the pics in sometime, but the photos haven't come good, as I have taken in my mobile phone & it was late evening n dark too

will surely do it today. They can be seen from the front if closely observed. have kept them pointing downwards so that water cant go in.

and Minda windtones are anyday louder and much more effective than Bosch Windtone.

@sgtik
even in my civic AT rear brake pads gave up before the front. front ones are still the OE ones but i think there time is also coming soon.

oh and one more thing.

during the preventive service of 40k as reported earlier when i got my SR home i switched to 5w-50 Mobil1 but OEM Idemitsu Synthetic is 0w-30.
Now getting thoughts that the thicker oil that is currently in my car, wont it create any problems?
cause whenever i do redline shifting from about say 5k rpm i can hear some kind of weird minute grinding type of noise.

which is scaring me to the core.

Any reviews for the same ?

Last edited by jatinpatel : 29th March 2011 at 16:04.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:20   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
No relay wasn't installed. I was in two minds as to put relay or not.
As Civic comes with dual horns, I feel company would have definetely provided a relay for the same.

Seems like everybody is into 40K kms service.
I'm sending my Civic to 40K kms service this Thursday/Friday, When I enquired for the service I was quoted 13K Rs in Dakshin Honda & around 11-12K @ Whitefield Honda.
I'm thinking of getting my Civic serviced @ Magnum Honda Kanakpura road as it's close to my house.
I had serviced my Honda city sometime back @ the same place, I was quite satisfied with the work @ that time(Almost 2 yrs back).

Bhpians those who have recently serviced their CIVIC, any reviews on Magnum Honda Kanakpura Rd.
Old 30th March 2011, 13:51   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Bhpians those who have recently serviced their CIVIC, any reviews on Magnum Honda Kanakpura Rd.
After my initial bad experience with Magnum, I have stuck to them and it seems fine now. I ask for the same SA and road-test person and I now know the head technician. I found SA Praveen (an old timer since Cauvery days I think) and Suresh (for road-test) to be quite competent. You can directly talk to the head technician (a half-bald guy); IIRC he is Santosh or Phani. Lastly, Palani is a senior person at the washing bay and does an excellent job if you approach him directly. You can wait at the washing bay itself and get it done to your satisfaction.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:23   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
After my initial bad experience with Magnum, I have stuck to them and it seems fine now. I ask for the same SA and road-test person and I now know the head technician. I found SA Praveen (an old timer since Cauvery days I think) and Suresh (for road-test) to be quite competent. You can directly talk to the head technician (a half-bald guy); IIRC he is Santosh or Phani. Lastly, Palani is a senior person at the washing bay and does an excellent job if you approach him directly. You can wait at the washing bay itself and get it done to your satisfaction.
Thanks MKC, I'm giving my car for service tomorrow.
I shall post my experience, service update later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Posting some pics..
I know the picture quality is bad as I used my mobile phone camera for same.
A pic of my car for the representation as where are all the screws n clips which have to be unscrewed/removed (only above the tyres, 2 screws, rest all are hooks/clamps
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_1214.jpg

Company provided holes. This is where I have put the clamps.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0031.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0032.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0033.jpg

Clamps added.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0035.jpg

Horns were correctly aligned after this.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0036.jpg
Horns were made sure that they don't touch any body parts when the horns vibrate after blowing the horn.

Wires were drawn from the stock horns which are just behind the fog lamps vents
Old 31st March 2011, 13:22   #1506
BHPian

Finally I got the secret behind sounding of the alarm.
After you lock the red light on the console starts blinking. It blinks once per second for first 10 seconds. If you unlock the car from inside during these first 10 seconds the alarm does not sound.
After 10 seconds the red light blinks but at a slower rate. If you unlock the cat from inside the alarm sounds. There is no need to open the door.
Old 31st March 2011, 16:33   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
After you lock the red light on the console starts blinking. It blinks once per second for first 10 seconds. If you unlock the car from inside during these first 10 seconds the alarm does not sound.
After 10 seconds the red light blinks but at a slower rate. If you unlock the cat from inside the alarm sounds. There is no need to open the door.
Thanks for the input. Will try this out and see if it works in my car.

But again, is that the only way to activate the alarm ? Does the car not have sensors that can trigger off the alarm when someone attempts to break in?

Last edited by rr_zen : 31st March 2011 at 16:43.
Old 31st March 2011, 17:29   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
will surely do it today. They can be seen from the front if closely observed. have kept them pointing downwards so that water cant go in.

and Minda windtones are anyday louder and much more effective than Bosch Windtone.

@sgtik
even in my civic AT rear brake pads gave up before the front. front ones are still the OE ones but i think there time is also coming soon.

Oh and one more thing.

during the preventive service of 40k as reported earlier when i got my SR home i switched to 5w-50 Mobil1 but OEM Idemitsu Synthetic is 0w-30.
Now getting thoughts that the thicker oil that is currently in my car, wont it create any problems?
cause whenever i do redline shifting from about say 5k rpm i can hear some kind of weird minute grinding type of noise.

which is scaring me to the core.

Any reviews for the same ?

Can someone help me with my query?
Old 31st March 2011, 18:22   #1509
dot
Senior - BHPian

@jatinpatel, at face value 5w-50 engine oils should not cause any issues, specially at Bombay cold start conditions. Moreover, your engine has run 42k kms so it should be set for such a synthetic oil. Is the noise coming everytime? If the minute grinding noise is persisting, maybe a call to Honda might help.
Old 31st March 2011, 20:43   #1510
BHPian

@dot
yes the minute grinding noise comes whenever i strech the car beyond 4.5-5k rpms
it comes with ac and without ac too.

BUt below 4.5-5k rpm its all normal and silky smooth.
Old 31st March 2011, 22:02   #1511
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A pic of my car for the representation as where are all the screws n clips which have to be unscrewed/removed (only above the tyres, 2 screws, rest all are hooks/clamps
@sushrutha, Thanks for the pictures. Pretty much gives a complete idea on the installation. Hows the experience so far.

BTW, The yellow calipers looks fabulous on the Silver Blue color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Thats definitely solves the mystery! I could repeat the instructions and they work!

Quote:
@dot
yes the minute grinding noise comes whenever i stretch the car beyond 4.5-5k rpms. It comes with ac and without ac too.
BUt below 4.5-5k rpm its all normal and silky smooth.
Isnt 5k the usual Vtec activation point? Wonder if it has anything to do with the noise.
Old 31st March 2011, 22:07   #1512
BHPian

@dot

Civic uses I-vtec technology which differs from the normal/older generations VTECs

i-Vtec varies the high lift lob opening rpm range as per the driving conditions and not at any fixed Rpm range.

In simple terms, i-Vtec has variable RPM VTEC activation range and not fixed.
Old 31st March 2011, 22:10   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dot

Civic uses I-vtec technology which differs from the normal/older generations VTECs

i-Vtec varies the high lift lob opening rpm range as per the driving conditions and not at any fixed Rpm range.

In simple terms, i-Vtec has variable RPM VTEC activation range and not fixed.
Exactly. Here's an article explaining how it works. I got this link from some other post on this same thread if I'm not mistaken.

That said, I do sense a couple of changes in behaviour as the tacho needle climbs. One's just after the 2k RPM mark and one somewhere near the 5k RPM mark. I'm very sure about the former. About the latter, I wouldn't say I'm 100% sure. Things are usually so manic by that point that 1000% (yes, one thousand percent) of my concentration is on the road and traffic .

Regards,
spadix
Old 31st March 2011, 22:27   #1514
dot
Senior - BHPian

@jatinpatel and spadix. I agree that in an i-Vtec engine the Vtec activation can come at any RPM. I have read that article, nicely explained. However if you hear an 2.0 Civic Si i-vtec engine sound (youtube), invariably the vtec activates around 5-6k RPM. On the contrary, it is very difficult to find (or hear) when vtec activates in our R18 engines.

Still does not explain why a heavier engine oil can cause grinding noises at high rpm.
Old 31st March 2011, 23:09   #1515
BHPian

@dot i am having a gut feeling that its oil issue cause at higher rpms lower viscosity oil would flow much better as compared to higher viscosity oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks