Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 11:46   #1471
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

The gear position indicator will show up when in S mode and for briefly in D mode when you use the paddles. Nothing will obviously show when you are in P mode as shown above.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:48   #1472
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
When I upshift, I 'feel' the gear shift but cannot see anything on the indicator. So is that a fault I need to get checked?

Can you post a picture of the instrument cluster of your car? Yes, if the lights are not coming on, it needs to be checked.

Last edited by dot : 24th March 2011 at 11:49.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:55   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@sushrutha, would you be taking pictures of the horn installation? It would be of great help if you can.
Sure, I shall carry a camera or mobile phone for the pics.
Old 25th March 2011, 13:06   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
1. keep window open
2. lock using remote
3. unlock from inside
4. open door using outside door handle
I guess I did this to sound the alarm once (accidently). Will try again tomorrow.
This is exactly how the alarm sounded off on my Civic on one instance a few days back (again, by accident).

Why did I do that? My mom-in-law was sitting inside and the rest of us had gone into a shop, so I just wanted to keep her safe from anyone who might try to open the door by force. (Kept the window open for circulation.)

I thought a little bit about it and I think it's a valid scenario for the alarm to go off. In this instance, she tried to open the door from inside to let my wife in when she returned from the shop. However, if an intruder decides to use the open window to force the door open from inside the alarm should go off.

Of course, the open window still doesn't protect the occupant from an intruder who might try something else, but car manufacturers probably can't design for that without keeping costs too high .

Regards,
spadix
Old 25th March 2011, 13:53   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Went in for a service yesterday, there was an unusual problem i was facing. there was a buzzing sound coming from the right side of the dashboard near the right ac vent. more or less like when you keep your mobile on the table on vibrate mode and it vibrates. So we went for a test drive with one of the mechanics and he couldn't quite figure it out. later on during the diagnosis they found it to be some "heater actuator switch" so they took out the part and serviced it by lubing it etc. So right now the problem seems to be solved. has anyone faced an issue like this? also my car is now in extended warranty and the SA informed me that this part is not covered under the extended warranty. If anyone has details on this part and its warranty coverage would appreciate the info.

Secondly they have changed the cabin air filter. I make them put all replaced parts in the boot and double check the items replaced during the service. the air filter was replaced and was in the boot but there was no cabin air filter to be seen. which i paid 1,149/- plus vat for. So when i questioned the SA as to where the replaced part is, he said that the 1st Gen civic did not have it installed factory fitted. So there wasn't any in your car to replace. only the face lifted civic comes with the cabin air filter. So just wanted to confirm is this true. and can the cabin air filter be installed on the pre-facelift civic. or has the SA taken me for a ride on this one. Any info on this appreciated.

Thirdly, does anyone know if we can de-activate the front passenger airbag in the civic. just in case i want to put the car seat in the front in rare occasions. So far and thank god have not been forced to do so.
Thanks
Drive Safe!
Old 25th March 2011, 14:02   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Secondly they have changed the cabin air filter. I make them put all replaced parts in the boot and double check the items replaced during the service. the air filter was replaced and was in the boot but there was no cabin air filter to be seen. which i paid 1,149/- plus vat for. So when i questioned the SA as to where the replaced part is, he said that the 1st Gen civic did not have it installed factory fitted. So there wasn't any in your car to replace. only the face lifted civic comes with the cabin air filter. So just wanted to confirm is this true. and can the cabin air filter be installed on the pre-facelift civic. or has the SA taken me for a ride on this one. Any info on this appreciated.
Yes, the older Civics did not have the cabin air filter. It was not a part of the standard car which they sold. So buy a filter and place at the location was the option. I was initially surprised when I opened up the glove box and tried to take out the filter to clean and found none in my car. Later once I procured it and used it. But with the kind of environment at Bangalore,I felt the filter was clogging out faster, and issues of smell started. So now I do not use it.

Regarding the front airbag deactivation - that feature is not there and I guess there will be no straightforward fix for that.
Old 25th March 2011, 17:46   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
This is exactly how the alarm sounded off on my Civic on one instance a few days back (again, by accident).

Why did I do that? My mom-in-law was sitting inside and the rest of us had gone into a shop, so I just wanted to keep her safe from anyone who might try to open the door by force. (Kept the window open for circulation.)

I thought a little bit about it and I think it's a valid scenario for the alarm to go off. In this instance, she tried to open the door from inside to let my wife in when she returned from the shop. However, if an intruder decides to use the open window to force the door open from inside the alarm should go off.

Of course, the open window still doesn't protect the occupant from an intruder who might try something else, but car manufacturers probably can't design for that without keeping costs too high .

Regards,
spadix
I tried today what I said and it did not sound the alarm. So need to check again what sounds the alarm.
Old 25th March 2011, 22:24   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Yes, the older Civics did not have the cabin air filter. It was not a part of the standard car which they sold. So buy a filter and place at the location was the option. I was initially surprised when I opened up the glove box and tried to take out the filter to clean and found none in my car. Later once I procured it and used it. But with the kind of environment at Bangalore,I felt the filter was clogging out faster, and issues of smell started. So now I do not use it.

Regarding the front airbag deactivation - that feature is not there and I guess there will be no straightforward fix for that.
Thanks laluks for the quick reply. So only point 1 is left to be sorted out. Anybody have an idea on the "heater actuator switch"? If it is covered under warranty would like to get this changed. Please note i am now on extended warranty.
Old 25th March 2011, 22:33   #1479
dot
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a question.

There is a low volume rumbling sound (grrr grrr) coming from my Civic, specially at a very low speeds of 1 to 20 kmph. It disappears after that.

The source is somewhere from the engine bay, at least from the front area of the car. Initially I felt that it maybe the engine belt. In fact, previously Honda A.S.S said it was normal. However after TDing mdsaab's Civic today, we realized that his car does not have the sound (thank god!!) and mine has. The sound has very low note, with about one second period. The period decreases as speed increases and disappears after speed is over 20kmph.

Read from the net that it can be due to uneven tyre wear or bad bearings. 06-07 Civic owners have reported such observations.

Anyone here has faced such issues?

OT: mdsaab, your Civic is in top notch condition, good job of maintenance!
Old 25th March 2011, 23:12   #1480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read from the net that it can be due to uneven tyre wear or bad bearings. 06-07 Civic owners have reported such observations.
What kms have your current tyres done? If they are stock good years with more than 25k kms. It can definitely be the tyre noise. If it has started comming lately, it may increase in a few hundred kms and come regularly.

We can discount it for being a kaput bearing, because, usually in case of bearing the noise increases as the speed increases. But still, the is no harm in getting it checked. The bearing noise will increase in case of turning the car (even a tak tak occasionally). Another catch is that if its a bearing, you will hear specific noise and also feel a distict play, both while opening the tyre nuts.

Tyre noise is more like "hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm" and bearing is more like "ghan ghan ghan ghan"..lolzz

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 25th March 2011 at 23:18.
Old 25th March 2011, 23:27   #1481
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
What kms have your current tyres done? If they are stock good years with more than 25k kms. It can definitely be the tyre noise. If it has started comming lately, it may increase in a few hundred kms and come regularly.
@gaurav_chopra04, thanks for the post.

They are stock tyres. Car has run 36k kms. In the last two thousand kilometers I think the noise has slightly increased.

No further noise appears during turnings. No tak tak sound like bad CV joints. The noise does not have a metallic ring like you mentioned (ghan ghan)

Anyways I am going to Honda A.S.S tomorrow to check this one up.
Old 26th March 2011, 13:46   #1482
dot
Senior - BHPian

Looks like it was a false alarm. The noise seems to coming from torque converter. Honda A.S.S said that such noise comes in all Civic AT vehicles. Mine seems to be more prominent thats all. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited by dot : 26th March 2011 at 13:56.
Old 26th March 2011, 15:24   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Can you post a picture of the instrument cluster of your car? Yes, if the lights are not coming on, it needs to be checked.
I have given the car to Magnum Honda, Yeswanthpur for checking the gear indicator and asked them to check the brakes which felt rather soft.
Got a call from the SA just now saying that the gear indicator is working after erasing some ECU errors.
He also said the rear brake pads have worn off completely and need replacement and will cost 5500/-.

Is the cost normal?

Will the pads normally need replacement at 30,000 kms on an auto?

Any quick inputs appreciated as I have to collect the car in an hour

Thanks.
Old 26th March 2011, 16:04   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Rear brake pads cost 4314
It really depends on your driving, traffic, road conditions etc. Ask him to keep all parts changed in the boot so that you can visually inspect it.

Last edited by mdsaab : 26th March 2011 at 16:06.
Old 26th March 2011, 16:14   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Rear brake pads cost 4314
It really depends on your driving, traffic, road conditions etc. Ask him to keep all parts changed in the boot so that you can visually inspect it.
Thanks mdsaab. will do so. will update after getting the car back.

Most Viewed