Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:46   #1456
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@sushrutha, is it necessary to place the horn behind the bumper? Sorry, a bad question perhaps.
Yes, if placed properly behind the bumpers and there is no obsutruction for the horn in the front, that's when the hella horns(or any other for the matter) sound great. If placed in the engine bay, the horns would not be as efeective as above mentioned.
I don't want to put them in front of the bumpers as I would spoil the STOCK look of the car.
Please check the below post as how the horns are placed behind the bumpers, particularly pic 3,4,5.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1043950
Those are the hella red grills I'm talking about.
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:22   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Burglar Alarm in Honda Civic

I have a query on the burglar alarm in the Civic. I have tried the following with an intent to test the securty system and the alarm does not go off:
1. When the car has been locked by the remote, open the trunk or the driver's door with the key.
2. Locked myself in the car using the remote, and then opening it from inside as usual.

In my Esteem, if I do any of the above, the alarm goes off instantaneously.
Has anyone tried checking this out in the Civic and if so, what would be the modus operandi? Thanks

Also, the Honda India website talks of the answer-back feature during remote locking and unlocking but I haven't seen it on a Civic till date. Is it to do with any settings that need to be changed?
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:38   #1458
BHPian

Re: Burglar Alarm in Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have a query on the burglar alarm in the Civic. I have tried the following with an intent to test the securty system and the alarm does not go off:
1. When the car has been locked by the remote, open the trunk or the driver's door with the key.
I guess this is intended and is unlike aftermarket systems.
Quote:
2. Locked myself in the car using the remote, and then opening it from inside as usual.
I dont remember exactly but it had sounded when I did this.
Quote:
In my Esteem, if I do any of the above, the alarm goes off instantaneously.
Has anyone tried checking this out in the Civic and if so, what would be the modus operandi? Thanks

Also, the Honda India website talks of the answer-back feature during remote locking and unlocking but I haven't seen it on a Civic till date. Is it to do with any settings that need to be changed?
Answer-back interface is implemented as blinking lights
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:28   #1459
dot
Senior - BHPian

@rr_zen and @alto99, Same experience here on the first point. The alarm does not activate on inserting key in the trunk lid or front door. I am yet to understand the effect of opening doors after they have been shut by the remote. Sometimes the alarm activates, sometimes it does not.
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:16   #1460
Senior - BHPian

After trying the above, my only curiosity is to find out how the alarm is activated at all.

Also, I thought answer back would mean chirp sounds in addition to blinking lights. In case of the Civic one doesnt know if the car is locked or not by just pressing the lock button unless he is able to see the car. How many times have we come across situations( at least I have)where we are inside the house but are not sure if the car is locked or not and tend to lock it sitting at home. Not sure why Honda missed out on this elementary thing.
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:22   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After trying the above, my only curiosity is to find out how the alarm is activated at all.
I see what do you mean, however I can tell you one way of setting the alarm off!

1. Sit inside the car and then lock yourself using remote.
2. Put the key in, try starting the car and bingo, the alarm will go off!

Now, since we are using the car's authentic key, it goes off even then. I would assume, it will work with unauthentic keys as well.
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:24   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Good question. By the way I have never managed to make the alarm sound so far! I think it is activated only if the door/boot is attempted to be force opened, attempted with a different key, etc. It will not sound for "legal" opening using the actual key at the doors or the boot lid. Opening from inside is probably not considered as a security violation. And unlike in movies, you cannot lock somebody up in a car! The key itself has an electronic chip inside which apparently "communicates" with the lock when pushed in. This seems to disable the alarm in case of correct key.

If you open the trunk using the key after remote locking and close it back, the car will auto lock again. The American version also has a separate lock for the boot door near the boot release button. This helps to use the spare key for valet parking. The spare key cannot open the boot and hence will protect the contents.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:34   #1463
BHPian

1. keep window open
2. lock using remote
3. unlock from inside
4. open door using outside door handle
I guess I did this to sound the alarm once (accidently). Will try again tomorrow.

Last edited by alto99 : 23rd March 2011 at 22:36.
Old 23rd March 2011, 23:14   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Was the front bumper removed & put back when the stock horns were replaced ?
I'm planning to put Hella Red grills , which I religiously follow on all the cars/bikes I own.
But while putting in a civic, I'm confused if bumper removal & putting back would effect any of the sensors (Esp Airbags) , Can somebody clarify the same.

Nope.. not required the stock horn was just disconnected and wiring was taken from the stock connectors itself and relay was added.

the top plastic panel just below the bonnet lever was removed so as to get top access for fixing the horn. No need to remove bumper. Experienced mechanic can do it very well.
Old 24th March 2011, 10:39   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Nope.. not required the stock horn was just disconnected and wiring was taken from the stock connectors itself and relay was added.

the top plastic panel just below the bonnet lever was removed so as to get top access for fixing the horn. No need to remove bumper. Experienced mechanic can do it very well.
Thanks, I was about to get my bumper removed & put back for fitting the horns.
Let me see how I can put those big horns as you have mentioned.
I'm planning to replace my Civic horns this weekend.
Old 24th March 2011, 10:52   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Car has run 12.5K kms. I've been feeling a slight juddering during hard braking. It does feel more like ABS kicking in, though I must say, it 'seems' to kick in a bit early. No issues with normal braking.

Anyway, today I just happened to check the discs. Both front discs have slight undulations (concentric circles). Both quite similar. The rear discs are nice and flat.

I'll obviously get it checked at the workshop. But isn't this quite early to have disc issues.

I'm still not convinced the juddering is due to the discs. It's probably the ABS but ..

What are the telltale signs of uneven disc related juddering/shivering? Will keep an eye/ear out for them.
Old 24th March 2011, 10:53   #1467
dot
Senior - BHPian

@sushrutha, would you be taking pictures of the horn installation? It would be of great help if you can.

Last edited by dot : 24th March 2011 at 10:55.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:39   #1468
BHPian

I have a quick question.

I have had a V-AT for some time now but never got to use the S-Mode so far. The last couple of days I have been experimenting with the S-Mode and getting a hang of it.
However, when I was going through some write ups on the S-Mode, there seems to be a gear indicator which shows the present gear the car is on. I am assuming this is next to the gear selector but I don't seem to see anything on it in my car.

Am I missing something?

Pic Courtesy: DOT
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-14112010161.jpg  

Last edited by patron : 24th March 2011 at 11:43.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:43   #1469
dot
Senior - BHPian

@patron, When you set the gear lever to S mode, nothing shows up initially. Only when you upshift for the first time, the gear indicator turns on. After that the indicator shows which gear is engaged.

Yes, the indicated circle on the picture is the gear indicator. A Civic AT should have that by default, I believe!

Last edited by dot : 24th March 2011 at 11:46.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:45   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@patron, When you set the gear lever to S mode, nothing shows up initially. Only when you upshift for the first time, the gear indicator turns on. After that the indicator shows which gear is engaged. Do you observe the same thing?
When I upshift, I 'feel' the gear shift but cannot see anything on the indicator. So is that a fault I need to get checked?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks