Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 10:08   #1441
BANNED

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Ideally facing discs should be done on a specialized jig and not the routine lathe. In case of the latter operator skills are even more important. I had the discs of one of my earlier cars refaced through an independent garage - took all of an hour or so for them to come back.
Old 19th March 2011, 10:38   #1442
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@dot
Shocks and spring depend on type of roads encountered and style of driving.

Sparks don't need changing till 1lak kms as they irridium ones only cleaning and adjustment of gap is required every 40k kms
I think cost of new set of spark plugs is somewer around 3-3.5k

So modifying the list till 80000 to 100000 kilometers

Definitely needs replacement
1. Brake pads
2. Disks
3. Engine mounts
4. Wiper blades
5. Oils and filters (periodic)

May need replacement

1. Shock absorbers
2. Springs
3. AC components ( I read this somewhere, for some cars)

Nothing else?? Wow!
Old 19th March 2011, 11:08   #1443
Senior - BHPian

dot, you are dot on.

Infact I waited till 15K for my civvy before I started this thread to let the world know that this car is definitely a pocket friendly one on regular maintenance.

Now I see the list of Civic owners have exploded manyfold, and all are happy with their Civvy babies.

Cheers!!

My only grudge, is with Honda pricing it high! From 2006 to 2010, the cost of the Civic had slowly climbed to the extent today that it suddenly feels overpriced at 2010-11 rates.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:15   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
So modifying the list till 80000 to 100000 kilometers

1. Brake pads
2. Disks
3. Engine mounts
Not Really, you have to get it replaced when its required. There are 3 mounts on civic, if I remember right, only engine mount (the one on the left, if youstand facing the car) has failed in about 2-3 out of 10 civic I have seen. Get this, my cousin's lancer has only had a gear box mount changed at 1.35 lac kms.

Quote:
4. Wiper blades

May need replacement

1. Shock absorbers
2. Springs

3. AC components ( I read this somewhere, for some cars)
Again I dont expect AC components in civic to to need replacement at 80-1lac kms.

Quote:
Nothing else?? Wow!
Yes, before the shocks and springs, the things that fail are front lower arms, tie rods and ends, link kit, bushes...Most Japanese cars start showing loose characters after 60-70k kms and definitely require some suspension part or the other change at 60-1 lac kms. If parts go wrong more toward 1 lac kms, its always best to get a complete suspension overhaul at 1 lac kms, if you plan to keep the car in long run.

However, if only bushes are changed every 30-50k kms (depends on condition), it has the potential to increase the life of overall suspension by atleast 20-30k kms. So, if driven properly, the suspension can go up to 1.5 lac kms, when bushes are changed at regular interval. The problem is that no OEM sells bushes seperately. They are however available in aftermarket in case of cars such as civic.

Also, the rear suspension of civic is pretty badly set up and does go wrong frequently, proper alignment from time to time does take care of that but, I am not too sure if rear suspension is affected by it in this case.

Other things to check will be axle and steering assembly boots, figuring out a kaput boot early can save you from potential axle change or steering assembly change.

More things to check is AC and power steering pipes, Coolant hoses etc.

The list just follows on clutch, flywheel etc etc.

You cant just make a list of what can or cannot go wrong, and not that all these will go wrong, but what I am trying to say is that these wear and tear parts can go wrong from time to time and are best changed only when there is a need.

Lastly, dont forget the timing belt under any circumstance.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2011 at 16:02. Reason: Hi, please use the quote feature rather than replying in bold. You can manually open and close [ quote] tags in your reply.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2011, 21:50   #1445
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I started this thread to let the world know that this car is definitely a pocket friendly one on regular maintenance.
Thanks for the kind words. I think this thread is a life saver. This list is just a general summary. Lets keep populating it everybody's benefit.

Quote:
My only grudge, is with Honda pricing it high! From 2006 to 2010, the cost of the Civic had slowly climbed to the extent today that it suddenly feels overpriced at 2010-11 rates.
Unfortunate, specially when OEMs like Ford has gone the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Please find my replies in bold.
Thanks a ton. The intention is not to make a list of things that can go wrong. We all understand that mechanical parts are subject to failure. The intention of the list is to summarize the experience of owners, as mentioned on this thread.

Incorporating your inputs on the list. As mentioned before, lets refresh the list time to time for everyone's benefit.

1. Brake pads
2. Disks
3. Wiper blades
4. Suspension bushes

May need replacement

1. Shock absorbers
2. Springs
3. Engine mounts
4. AC components
5. Other suspension components
Old 19th March 2011, 23:25   #1446
Senior - BHPian

You bet this thread is the best thing to happen to any civic owner.
And the civic sure has made a name for itself. Its reliable and pocket friendly too. Thank god i havent come accross anyone who feels they went wrong by going in for the civic.
Only gripe as @laluks mentioned is the price going sky high. I remember paying 14.55 OTR for a VAT which is now standing at 16.5 OTR. And a few things like are missing now like
no 6 cd changer
The spare is no longer alloy
ofcourse many other features have been added but still why skimp on these.
Old 22nd March 2011, 22:25   #1447
dot
Senior - BHPian

Planning to add a secondary horn, preferably a power horn. There is a dummy switch next to the fog lamp switch. Initially I was thinking of installing a start -stop button on that position, but that may take time and I will wait for the Revolo launch.
Does anyone has any experience about second/power horn installation in the Civic.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:41   #1448
Senior - BHPian

@dot have had only bad experiences when tinkering with the horn and lights. So prefer to leave the civic as stock. But why the horn upgrade? Its pretty loud as it is.
Old 23rd March 2011, 00:37   #1449
BHPian

@dot
I have not put secondary horn but just replaced the stock horn with Minda Windtones with Bosch relay and wirring. and total costed me around 650rs.

But its totally worth it. One Honk and truck and BEST bus gives u way and ricks and taxis scare out of the way. HORN UPGRADE IS MUST FOR CIVIC.
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:03   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dot
I have not put secondary horn but just replaced the stock horn with Minda Windtones with Bosch relay and wirring. and total costed me around 650rs.

But its totally worth it. One Honk and truck and BEST bus gives u way and ricks and taxis scare out of the way. HORN UPGRADE IS MUST FOR CIVIC.
One of my horn has packed up and I need to replace it.
Why did you have to install a relay and wiring? I thought horns are usually plug and honk?
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:59   #1451
BANNED

It really depends on the power requirements of the replacement horn. If it is anywhere near what the original horn uses then relays are not required. i do not like messing up the wiring, so will prefer this conservative route.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:27   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dot

But its totally worth it. .
Was the front bumper removed & put back when the stock horns were replaced ?
I'm planning to put Hella Red grills , which I religiously follow on all the cars/bikes I own.
But while putting in a civic, I'm confused if bumper removal & putting back would effect any of the sensors (Esp Airbags) , Can somebody clarify the same.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:31   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Was the front bumper removed & put back when the stock horns were replaced ?
I'm planning to put Hella Red grills , which I religiously follow on all the cars/bikes I own.
But while putting in a civic, I'm confused if bumper removal & putting back would effect any of the sensors (Esp Airbags) , Can somebody clarify the same.

Bumper removal is a simple 5 minutes matter. Remove about 5 clips on the top, 5 clips below and two screws from the side. Pull it out it's in your hand.

It has nothing to do with any sensors

Those sensors are on the chasis.

We have crossed the 1lakh views for the thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:46   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bumper removal is a simple 5 minutes matter. Remove about 5 clips on the top, 5 clips below and two screws from the side. Pull it out it's in your hand.

It has nothing to do with any sensors

Those sensors are on the chasis.
Thanks Lalu for the clarification.
That makes it simple, I'm planning to put the horns on the front frame, just behind the bumper.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:20   #1455
dot
Senior - BHPian

@jatinpatel. Thanks a lot, I am looking for a secondary horn for the same purposes as you have mentioned. Probably need the relay.

@sushrutha, is it necessary to place the horn behind the bumper? Sorry, a bad question perhaps.

@mdsaab, yes the stock horn is good. Which is why, I would not touch it. I use the horn very sparingly. The second horn is for special purposes!

@laluks, congrats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks