Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 15:48   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Is it OK to mix different grades of petrol?

This question may have been answered in generic manner elsewhere in the forums, but I am interested in the context of the Civic (R18A).

I know in the case of my old pre-DTSi Pulsar that mixing different grades of fuel (such as IOC regular and IOC ExtraPremium) can cause some issues because the detergents in the premium grade fuel clear all the gunk along the fuel lines and deposit it in the cylinder (there's a document that explains this; I'll try to find and post it here).

Would something like this be an issue with our Civics as well? The reason I ask is IOCL ran out of regular petrol the other day and I had to fill in some premium petrol. I usually only feed regular unleaded to the car. 30 litres of premium were therefore added to around 10 litres of regular (the yellow light was on for around 20 kms, hence the guesstimate of 10 litres).

Regards,
spadix
Old 7th April 2011, 09:32   #1532
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Sure, if any of you are planning to come over this weekend we can have a demo of its installation on my car itself. Getting it done this Saturday. Have fixed an time for 9:30 AM.
@hiren, we would have loved to be around when this mod takes place. However this saturday looks difficult. In case some possibility comes up, will PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

mixing different grades of fuel (such as IOC regular and IOC ExtraPremium) can cause some issues because the detergents in the premium grade fuel clear all the gunk along the fuel lines and deposit it in the cylinder

Would something like this be an issue with our Civics as well?
What I understand if one tankful of premium fuel or normal fuel with additives is used, all gunk is washed/burned off. Hope this is really true!!
Old 7th April 2011, 18:06   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Guys with the new Civic, with USB port... did you manage to find out how the HU sorts the files from the USB stick? I happened to search to find this out and got a link. This may be useful for you. This helps to organize the mp3 files properly based on tags and then put it in proper order for playing.

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums - View Single Post - Sorting Folders and Files on USB Flash Drive
Old 7th April 2011, 19:22   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Those who drive automatics, how many of you have tried the "sporty automatic" option in the S mode? Many of you may not be aware of it. The trick is to shift the lever to S mode and not touch the paddle shifts. The effect will be similar to D mode, but with "automatic" shifts to upper(1>2, 2>3, 3>4) gears at much higher RPMs than in D mode. The moment you use the paddle shifts, it will go "manual" mode and from then on you have to use paddles to shift up. To bring back to the "Auto S" mode you have to shift back to D and then to S again. It's a pretty interesting drive even though it may consume more fuel.
Old 8th April 2011, 01:33   #1535
BHPian

@vasoo tried this in 07 civic its awsome fun and thrilling it is,
Good part is it hangs on to the gear till the readline and then shifts.

We can concentrate more on driving and less on worried of shifts.
Old 8th April 2011, 09:49   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Guys with the new Civic, with USB port... did you manage to find out how the HU sorts the files from the USB stick? I happened to search to find this out and got a link. This may be useful for you. This helps to organize the mp3 files properly based on tags and then put it in proper order for playing.

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums - View Single Post - Sorting Folders and Files on USB Flash Drive
I have a 120GB HDD plugged in. It has music sorted into folders based on artists/genre. But this seems interesting. I wonder if it will help sorting folders alphabetically
Old 8th April 2011, 17:05   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
What I understand if one tankful of premium fuel or normal fuel with additives is used, all gunk is washed/burned off. Hope this is really true!!
The phenomenon seems to be true. I don't know if one tankful is enough or not. But before the gunk gets burnt off, some of it tends to pit the valve surfaces and cause leakage as well, so one (or a few) tankfuls of additive-laced fuel is not the solution to clear carbon build-up in fuel lines/injectors.

How have I heard about this? I am a member of a couple of other mailing lists related to motorcycling in general and the Pulsar in particular. One of the experts on these lists is an ex-BAL man and runs a family business in servicing Bajaj vehicles. He knows his vehicles in and out and he specifically pointed out this pitfall with regards to switching between regular and premium unleaded fuel.

From his description of it, the phenomenon doesn't look like it'll apply only to the Pulsar or to Bajaj bikes.

I guess, if all of this is true, I'll just trust Honda reliability and plead blissfully ignorant .

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th April 2011, 00:34   #1538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Guys with the new Civic, with USB port... did you manage to find out how the HU sorts the files from the USB stick?
I use an 80GB FAT32 drive. And all my songs are in albums (folders). I tend to buy/store the full albums. For each album I have the artist name pre-fixed. This way it sorts by artist name alphabetically and is relatively easier to locate - relatively since I have over 250 folders (and subfolders) I think !

Recently a few new folders somehow did not get sorted alphabetically. Haven't figured out why.
Old 9th April 2011, 18:18   #1539
BHPian

Engine timing belt change interval for Honda

Has anyone changed their engine timing belt for the civic?
My brothers 2006 mfg civic has completed 4.5yrs and 58000kms.
I had read in briskoda that life of belt for Skodas was 4 yrs irrespective of mileage so the query??

Any help would be appreciated
Old 11th April 2011, 14:11   #1540
BHPian

@hemen

4.5yrs and 58k so proper running is being done i would recommend to hang on for the change.

And for that matter Civic does not have timming belt but a timming chain.
Which has more life than a belt.
Old 12th April 2011, 15:39   #1541
BHPian

Thanks jatin for clearing my doubt and enlighten me that civic has a chain.

thanks again.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:13   #1542
dot
Senior - BHPian

Friends, tried to find a post/thread which describes how to attach an ORVM back to its fixture, if it has come out. The following post on this thread was the closest I could find.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1827177

Maybe it is a "daal roti" issue for folks who drive in dense traffic conditions, so no one mentions.

My "daal roti" moment came today. A idiot scooterist banged on the left ORVM. The ORVM twisted on the wrong side. Wifey pulled it back in shape. Thankfully the system was not damaged. The ORVM holder motor was working, i.e., the mirror holder was opening and closing normally when the button was pressed sequentially. However the mirror came off. Here is a picture.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-13042011345.jpg

The back of the mirror has two hooks on the top, marked by red arrows and clips at the bottom, marked by yellow arrows.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-13042011344.jpg

The housing has placements on the top where the hooks go in, marked by red arrows. The housing has similar rods at the bottom where the clips get inserted. This is marked by yellow arrows.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-13042011346.jpg

One needs to slide in the top hooks by bringing the mirror from the bottom of the holder at an angle. Once the hooks have attached, one needs to firmly press the bottom part of the mirror for the clips to attach to the rods. The mirror vibrates if it has not snugly fitted to the housing.

Hope it helps!
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 23:25   #1543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Hope it helps!
Thanks ! Wonderfully explained.

This has never happened to my car, although the mirror casing has been forced backwards a dozen times surely. And many more times folded inwards towards the body (these were all in parked situations). The motor doesn't seem to have any issue with that. It just resets and keeps working.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:44   #1544
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Thanks ! Wonderfully explained.

This has never happened to my car, although the mirror casing has been forced backwards a dozen times surely. And many more times folded inwards towards the body (these were all in parked situations). The motor doesn't seem to have any issue with that. It just resets and keeps working.
Thanks. Looks like the casing/holder has been engineered properly, keeping in mind our driving conditions.
Old 14th April 2011, 09:45   #1545
BANNED

@dot; This info can be a real $$$ (I do not think we have the Rupee symbol here, and Rs.Rs.Rs. will be silly!) saver. Others may also be having similar mounts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks