Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 22:26   #2356
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Just for records, I replaced 1st mount at 21k kms. (under warranty), second at 36k kms. (not covered under extended warranty) and now the 3rd one is due at 59k kms.
Were the mounts replaced the same hydraulic one on the front side both times or was it some other side ?
Old 5th September 2011, 22:38   #2357
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just for records, I replaced 1st mount at 21k kms. (under warranty), second at 36k kms. (not covered under extended warranty) and now the 3rd one is due at 59k kms.
Three times is really the limit. Do have any thoughts/ideas why it is breaking down so often? Like, do you face poor quality roads during your normal drives or do you take speed breakers at high speeds? Or is it just bad quality parts?

Last edited by dot : 5th September 2011 at 22:52.
Old 5th September 2011, 22:50   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Were the mounts replaced the same hydraulic one on the front side both times or was it some other side ?
AFAIK, it is the same hydraulic mounting. Can confirm exact part no. with pic tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Three times is really the limit. Do have any thoughts/ideas why it breaking down so often? Like do you face poor quality roads during your normal drives or do you take speed breakers at high speeds? Or is it just bad quality parts?
I can confidently say that this is the well known problem of Civic and nothing to do with the roads I drive on and my driving style.

90% of my driving is on excellent Delhi-Gurgaon expressway and Delhi's Ring Road. 5% is on bad roads (bad only for 4 months, July-October, when Sohna Road is in bad shape during and after monsoons otherwise average) and 5% on average roads.

I also cross all speed breakers very very slowly. I feel shy to say that I normally don't cross more than 2500 rpm specially since last 20 months or so.

But I have NEVER jumped my Civic on speed-breakers in last 5 years.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 5th September 2011 at 23:01.
Old 5th September 2011, 23:00   #2359
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can confidently say that this is the well known problem of Civic and nothing to do with the roads I drive on and my driving style.

But I have NEVER jumped my Civic on speed-breakers in last 5 years.
Honda should come out in the open and explain why their customers have to bear the brunt of a poor quality or badly designed part.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:43   #2360
Senior - BHPian

I was reading the manual the other day and came across a section which advises to keep the a/c circulation mode to fresh air ie allow air from outside when not using the a/c. How appropriate is this while driving the car?

I usually drive with a/c off (to save some fuel) and keep the fans running and occasionaly switch on the a/c to clear the foggy screen during rains.Will keeping the mode in fresh air selection with a/c off cause any issues ?

thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 21:48   #2361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was reading the manual the other day and came across a section which advises to keep the a/c circulation mode to fresh air ie allow air from outside when not using the a/c. How appropriate is this while driving the car?

I usually drive with a/c off (to save some fuel) and keep the fans running and occasionaly switch on the a/c to clear the foggy screen during rains.Will keeping the mode in fresh air selection with a/c off cause any issues ?

thanks
No it will not cause any issues. But it is not advisable in traffic. BTW you might as well keep the a/c on, it will hardly lower your mileage by anything. Keep the climate control on 25 or so and you'll be at the perfect temperature.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 22:52   #2362
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Keeping the fresh-air-in mode in city traffic leads to smoke and stink entering the car. A couple of minutes of fresh-air-in during the beginning of the day is usually enough. I drive in recirculation mode whole day, never faced any kind of issue. Fresh-air-in with AC on will reduce AC efficacy, BTW.

I agree with Akshay1234, AC on or off hardly has any bearing on FE. I had the car on park with engine and AC on for more than three hours for ICE optimization and still FE was 9 at the end of the tankful. We need to keep in mind that FE = 0 when car is standstill with engine running. So the FE number was made up by rest the drive. Amazing.

Last edited by dot : 6th September 2011 at 22:55.
Old 6th September 2011, 23:31   #2363
Senior - BHPian

Well all this while i have always been led to believe that a/c does hurt FE.
My 800s FE went down from 15 to a 11.5 (city figure) after i got the a/c fixed
I am getting a estimated 9.5 in the civic with you can say 40% a/c.I guess i can start using the a/c more.Shall i assume the civic is almost as frugal even with the a/c on as it is with the a/c off ?
Old 7th September 2011, 00:07   #2364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

thanks
When the A/C is off, are your windows rolled up or down? If the windows are rolled up, then what the manual says is right. If you don't allow fresh air inside the car, CO2 levels inside the cabin will rise up over a period of time and you will become groggy & sleepy.

Actually, even when the A/C is switched ON, you should opt for fresh air mode when you are driving long distance on highways. CO2 levels (because of yours & passenger breathing) will rise up to high levels - high enough to make you feel sleepy & lose concentration - within 1 hour if you don't allow fresh air inside.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 00:52   #2365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well all this while i have always been led to believe that a/c does hurt FE.
My 800s FE went down from 15 to a 11.5 (city figure) after i got the a/c fixed
I am getting a estimated 9.5 in the civic with you can say 40% a/c.I guess i can start using the a/c more.Shall i assume the civic is almost as frugal even with the a/c on as it is with the a/c off ?
Thats because there is 1000cc difference in the engine size between your 800 and the Civic. The a/c puts much more strain on the 800 than the 1800 and hence such a big drop in mileage in that.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 09:27   #2366
BANNED

Quote:
Well all this while i have always been led to believe that a/c does hurt FE. ...Shall i assume the civic is almost as frugal even with the a/c on as it is with the a/c off ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats because there is 1000cc difference in the engine size between your 800 and the Civic. The a/c puts much more strain on the 800 than the 1800 and hence such a big drop in mileage in that.
I agree with Akshay.Small car suffers in FE. Reason is that you use a much larger fraction of the output.

On a car with a lower power output when you switch on the compressor it almost feels that an anchor or parachute has been deployed. Even my old Esteem(Carb, 65 bhp) needed far more downshifts on the highway for overtaking when the AC was on, while my Accent (90bhp) did not. The FE drop on the Esteem was higher that on the Accent. On the Civic you feel nothing, so should have a negligible (<0.2kpl) drop at worst.

Last edited by ajmat : 7th September 2011 at 11:15. Reason: as per request
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 09:47   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Mileage dropage due to AC is indeed very low in Civic. In my calculations, it has made a difference of 0.3-0.5 kmpl. I would rather drive in comfort rather than saving that sip of fuel. However, in my last couple of tanks, I have observed, Civic has a tendency to give low mileage if you drive padal to the matel mode mixed with City traffic! I mean, don't get me wrong, I do not drive racklessly, but I do redline the car in 1st and 2nd gear many times a day whenever I get enough empty stretch. The mileage - 6.5-7 kmpl from past 3 tankfuls!

It is LOW if you ask me honestly. I will clean my K&N the coming weekend and will let you know if it helps me out or not!

Oh well, I think I am paying for the fun I am having with my car! 17" rims coupled with brand new tyres mean when the peak torque comes down to the road, the car feels as if it wants to dig into the asphalt! Awesome feeling...

It is amazing that last time I did try to drive the car sedately and the car was able to cover 168 kms for INR 1000 worth of petrol (~ 15.5 ltrs or something like that). That translates into a FE figure of 10.8 kmpl.

Lovely transitions for FE numbers, this car provides!!!
Old 7th September 2011, 10:31   #2368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

thanks
I had a major problem when I left the switch to fresh air for a few days. Apparently mold, fungus, etc. caught hold and the car started smelling very bad. I agreed for AC service at the dealer, but then they did not charge saying that they could easily clean it up without much problem.

Since then my switch has always been in recirc mode. I simply crack open the windows for a few minutes on long drives.
sandeep108 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 13:54   #2369
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
On the Civic you feel nothing
Building on the AC topic, I had a different question; I do "feel" the AC compressor switching on during idle conditions. There is a slight noise which comes from the auto-tensioner. Within a few seconds the effect dies down till the cycle repeats in about 30 secs. There is no change in idle RPM of 700-800. Do you all observe the same?

Last edited by dot : 7th September 2011 at 13:55.
Old 7th September 2011, 14:45   #2370
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Building on the AC topic, I had a different question; I do "feel" the AC compressor switching on during idle conditions. There is a slight noise which comes from the auto-tensioner. Within a few seconds the effect dies down till the cycle repeats in about 30 secs. There is no change in idle RPM of 700-800. Do you all observe the same?
I was talking about the power output and not the sounds.

As for idle rpm it is electronically regulated and does not change. It was in the old carb/non-ECU cars that the idle was bumped up for the AC using a fast idle solenoid. For example in the M800 it went up from 900rpm to 1200rpm.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks