Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2011, 21:37   #2461
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Hi, My V A/T gave 19.45 kmpl on the vellore -krishnagiri stretch during an early morning drive without the a/c while driving at 80 kmpl at 1500 rpm.I maintain tyre pressure of 32 PSI on stock tyres.Is n't 33/34 PSI too high? Does Cruise control give even better FE?

Cheers.
Did another trip of hypermiling this weekend on ECR and my Civic returned 20.2 kmpl. Am sure I could have bumped up this number had I driven for another 50 kms or more. The tire pressure this time was the usual 32 psi and the vehicle fresh after an oil change last week. While I did use the CC for a while, it was not practically possible beyond a stage and had to switch over to manual mode because of which am not able to comment on your question of using CC to achieve better FE.
Old 10th October 2011, 01:00   #2462
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2537544

This is the Link to our CIVIC CENTRIC photoshoot that we are going to have on the 16th of OCT. Please do try and join in if you can.
Old 11th October 2011, 00:35   #2463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Did another trip of hypermiling this weekend on ECR and my Civic returned 20.2 kmpl. Am sure I could have bumped up this number had I driven for another 50 kms or more. The tire pressure this time was the usual 32 psi and the vehicle fresh after an oil change last week. While I did use the CC for a while, it was not practically possible beyond a stage and had to switch over to manual mode because of which am not able to comment on your question of using CC to achieve better FE.
Fantastic achievement.Can you elaborate a bit more on the load and speeds during the trip? Did you drive during the day,Was it with/without A/C?Very impressive that you manage this mileage on the 2-Laned ECR.

Cheers.
Old 11th October 2011, 18:00   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
It started off as a mild clunk from the front right wheel when turning over a bad patch of road, specifically dips in the road. Then it started occurring on humps as well as dips.
Your problem "sounds" more of the engine mount problem type.
Quote:

Have you checked the stepney and tool kit area of your car and verified that nothing is loose there?
I checked up the stepney area and cleared the air pump and the jump start cable. But the problem persists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Is it possible that the one of the rear calipers is loose? To find out if they are, you can try to drive the car with slight pressure on the brake pedal. If the sound goes away, then the calipers are most likely loose. It can be tightened easily by any auto garage.
A bit hard to test this, as often the noise does not last more than a second or two. And I don't get to test this everywhere. I need some bad road at a turn. The sure-shot place to test is the ramp at the multi-level parking lot at office where I get to pass through only once a day.

Let me see if Dakshin Honda would be able to figure it out. I have booked for a service this saturday.

Another query: I plan to change to synthetic oil this time. How good/bad is Idemitsu synth compared to Mobil 1? Is it a group 4 synth oil? Also, should I insist on an engine flush before puting synthetic oil? Thanks!

Last edited by civic-sense : 11th October 2011 at 18:24.
Old 11th October 2011, 18:36   #2465
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
A bit hard to test this, as often the noise does not last more than a second or two. And I don't get to test this everywhere. I need some bad road at a turn. The sure-shot place to test is the ramp at the multi-level parking lot at office where I get to pass through only once a day.

Another query: I plan to change to synthetic oil this time. How good/bad is Idemitsu synth compared to Mobil 1? Is it a group 4 synth oil? Also, should I insist on an engine flush before puting synthetic oil? Thanks!
One of my previous cars had this problem and some how your issue sounded like that. Hope it gets diagnosed and rectified.

Honda Idemitsu oil is very good. I cant compare it with Mobil or Shell, but I can certainly recommend the Idemitsu oil. A engine flush is a good idea. They will make noises about it, but will do it with some persuasion.
Old 12th October 2011, 07:41   #2466
BHPian

[quote=civic-sense;2540394]Your problem "sounds" more of the engine mount problem type.

My car has the same problem.Gives a clunky noise on the Front right side.Whitefield honda first retorqued suspension in the past 2 services.Last time they said it could be due to an Engine mount issue which they will address in the next service if the problem worsens.The service engineer says it is a common problem in Civic.My Civic has run 33000 KM with a bit of offroading during a trip to Kanha/Bandavgarh.

Cheers.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:53   #2467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post

My car has the same problem.Gives a clunky noise on the Front right side.Whitefield honda first retorqued suspension in the past 2 services.Last time they said it could be due to an Engine mount issue which they will address in the next service if the problem worsens.The service engineer says it is a common problem in Civic.My Civic has run 33000 KM with a bit of offroading during a trip to Kanha/Bandavgarh.

Cheers.
Check this thread. There are numerous cases of engine mount going bad. I changed mine at around 50K. Costs about 8K. I had uploaded a pic of my engine mount a few pages back. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2382896) See the crack on the rubber.

Last edited by civic-sense : 12th October 2011 at 16:02.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:55   #2468
Senior - BHPian

Common problem. I have changed engine mounts 3 times. Seems to last only a couple of years. Seems to be a design issue.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:59   #2469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
One of my previous cars had this problem and some how your issue sounded like that. Hope it gets diagnosed and rectified.

Honda Idemitsu oil is very good. I cant compare it with Mobil or Shell, but I can certainly recommend the Idemitsu oil. A engine flush is a good idea. They will make noises about it, but will do it with some persuasion.

@Dot

I am taking my Civic for a 10000 kms service either this saturday or the next - time permitting and changing to synthetic oil. The service guys said they would only use Idemitsu as its Honda recommeded, so am happy to read your post.

explain the reasons for a engine flush and why it is good idea.

Thanks.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:19   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

explain the reasons for a engine flush and why it is good idea.

Thanks.
AFAIK, when changing between mineral and synthetic or vice versa, engine oil flush is usually recommended. It removes any sludge, deposits, remnants of old bad oil, etc. and helps the new oil to work better.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 13:45   #2471
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of normal petrol and the one with additives, I have one interesting observation to share.

so last time, I decided to try out 97 RON fuel in my Shark (I know I know, it is significantly expensive, but I was like, o well lets get one tankful of this one and see!). At first, no perceptible differences. It felt the same as our normal 91-92 RON fuel. People said I will get better acceleration, however I didn't notice anything as such. The only difference I could note was in FE during those ripping hours.

I usually get 8-8.5 kpl if I rip my car like anything, constantly revving above 3-3.5k rpms. This time, my tank lasted for about 430 kms of those fuel sipping hours. And thats about ~10 kpl. I know what I am talking because I have proper logs for FE of my car.

Am I missing something about 97 RON in a Honda vtec? Or am I supposed to use 2-3 tankfuls to get the engine accustomed to higher Octane? Share your thoughts...
Old 13th October 2011, 14:25   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Am I missing something about 97 RON in a Honda vtec? Or am I supposed to use 2-3 tankfuls to get the engine accustomed to higher Octane? Share your thoughts...
It's not the higher octane, but possibly less adulteration in these premium fuels that's making this difference.

Of course, one tankful isn't enough to pass statistically significant judgment.

Be aware though that switching between fuels with additives and those without *can* have some bad consequences (I've attached a PDF on this in an older post of mine in this thread).

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th October 2011, 14:33   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Guys do any of you have the Civic part list with prices??

Will be great if you can get it for me during the meet in mumbai happening on 16th oct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2537544

This is the Link to our CIVIC CENTRIC photoshoot that we are going to have on the 16th of OCT. Please do try and join in if you can.
Old 13th October 2011, 14:34   #2474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
It's not the higher octane, but possibly less adulteration in these premium fuels that's making this difference.

Of course, one tankful isn't enough to pass statistically significant judgment.

Be aware though that switching between fuels with additives and those without *can* have some bad consequences (I've attached a PDF on this in an older post of mine in this thread).

Regards,
spadix
You may be quite right about purity, spadix. I usually go with normal unleaded fuel without any additives, this time I just wanted to give it a shot! And I felt 1.8 litre vtec motor isn't that much performance oriented, more so to justify the use of 97 Octane fuel!
Old 13th October 2011, 18:28   #2475
BANNED

97ON may result in the ECU advancing the timing. Remember the Civic has a high revving high compression engine. The knock sensor basically keeps the timing advanced to just short of knocking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks