Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 17:45   #3886
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
He said they need to remove the Dashboard Panel and that, that itself takes a lot of time. After that, he said he needs to check the relay, fan and the evaporator.

Not sure if any one else in this forum had similar issue...

The dashboard removal in Civic is a time consuming as well as expensive stuff (they charge some 4-6k for this as labor)

Some discussion on the dashboard removal for rat problem can be seen discussed here, donno whether it is of any use for your particular problem though, hope it helps;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-242.html
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 21:02   #3887
BHPian

My batter just died on me unexpectedly. Am quite surprised it happened all of a sudden, even today morning the car started at first crank. The battery is about 2 yrs old. AStuck at Phoenix mills right now. Any reason this may have happened?
Old 13th November 2012, 22:17   #3888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
My batter just died on me unexpectedly. Am quite surprised it happened all of a sudden, even today morning the car started at first crank. The battery is about 2 yrs old. AStuck at Phoenix mills right now. Any reason this may have happened?
OE battery usually last 2 years.Was this a exide ? Amaron pro can be had for around 5.5K.In the Civic people have reported that battery died unexpectedly even at first on the same day it started just fine Best is to get the same inspected for weakness and change it before it dies.I changed my Civic's battery as it was reported weak by HASS even when the car used to crank just fine.
Old 14th November 2012, 00:18   #3889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar

OE battery usually last 2 years.Was this a exide ? Amaron pro can be had for around 5.5K.In the Civic people have reported that battery died unexpectedly even at first on the same day it started just fine Best is to get the same inspected for weakness and change it before it dies.I changed my Civic's battery as it was reported weak by HASS even when the car used to crank just fine.
Thanks Sumeet, will get the battery health checked. I had Honda helpline come and jumpstart the car and managed to head home. All works fine for now. With the Diwali festival most workshops and service enters are off till Thursday. Fingers crossed as to whether it will start tomorrow. Hope it does!
Old 14th November 2012, 09:04   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Thanks Sumeet, will get the battery health checked. I had Honda helpline come and jumpstart the car and managed to head home. All works fine for now. With the Diwali festival most workshops and service enters are off till Thursday. Fingers crossed as to whether it will start tomorrow. Hope it does!
I got mine from Pai auto.You can call them up and and see if they are open.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:14   #3891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The dashboard removal in Civic is a time consuming as well as expensive stuff (they charge some 4-6k for this as labor)
The current update is that the evaporator is cleaned and that a AC gas leak is observed; will get back the car (hopefully) tomorrow (Thursday)...only then I'll know the exact cause and remedy.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 22:48   #3892
BHPian

Hi,

I have recently bought a preworshipped Honda Civic V-AT 2008 model. The car runs smooth as silk, however over the last few days what I have noticed is that the gear shifting from 2nd to 3rd is a bit hesitant / mildly jerky. Is this normal? When I press the pedal more (i.e. give more acceleration, then I do not feel that jerk, however with a soft foot, I feel the jerk). The other gear shift with soft pedal is smooth as silk. Is there a problem lurking in the transmission?

The Automatic Transmission Fluid has been changed timely at 60K and has enough miles before next replacement.

Some more fixes required are:

1. The lock / latch on the front center arm rest does not have the spring, hence the tension is missing in the latch resulting in mild vibration noise on rough roads. Any fix that you all recommend?

2. Windshield has wiper marks although the condition is not that bad to form glares at night. Should I get them polished right now or wait for the situation to deteriorate further before doing the polishing?

3. Unable to fix the small grill next to the fog lamps which covers the gap after fixing the rectangular fog lamps. The reason as per HASS is that the front arm on one side is off center and is coming in the way where the clips hold the grill. Any quick fix for this rather than taking off the bumper and fixing the front arm?

4. Any good Leather conditioner which will make the leather soft and supple?

5. Steering so far is in fair / good condition, however I foresee deterioration within a year or two. Any precautions that can be taken to avoid deterioration? Do not want to lose the stock finish of the steering by putting a leather cover.

6. The car had been given an underbody coating post purchase by the previous owner, however, now that coating is wearing and it requires a fresh underbody coating. Do you all recommend going in for underbody coating again since it was done at the time of purchase also or can I skip it? Will the skip aid in sooner rust formation?

7. The transmission mounting in the car is broken and needs replacement as per HASS, however I am not able to hear any tak tak or clunk sound from the engine bay even on rough road. This mounting is on the left side and just behind the battery if you stand in front of the car.

Can I request a response to my queries please?

Cheers,

Vivek
Old 15th November 2012, 09:13   #3893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Hi,

I have recently bought a preworshipped Honda Civic V-AT 2008 model.

Some more fixes required are:

Can I request a response to my queries please?

Congrats Vivek!

1. This could be fixed easily by the HASS, please check.

2. Get it polished asap, a stitch in time saves nine . Also, check for the wiper life, and if required replace along with. I guess the cost is around 800.

3. I would suggest to fix it properly by taking off the bumper in your next service. Taking off the front bumper of Civic is a very easy task. In fact you can find lots of DIY stuff as well for this.

5. Yours is a V, it comes with leather wrapping, and imo, that should be retained. It will serve the purpose as well as hold for years, unless there is a tendency to scratch with nails/jewellery

6. As mentioned in the new cars buying guide, this is not required.

7. If your car falls under the 4 year warranty period as of today, try to see, if that covers this change. If yes, no questions asked, go for it. Else, get the proper evaluation regarding the severity, cost etc, before deciding.

Hope this helps.
Old 15th November 2012, 09:32   #3894
BHPian

Thanks Sarathlal.

1. HASS is quoting Rs 5000 for replacement of the center arm rest rather than fixing the latch. Any possibility of getting it fixed from outside? Who would be the right person to fix this kind of stuff? Any accessories shop?

5. Is there any good leather conditioner that I can put on the steering wheel for enhancing the life of the leather? Something that is not very expensive yet effective enough to make the leather soft and supple.
[quote=sarathlal;2962452]Congrats Vivek!

7. I checked with HASS and they mentioned that the hydraulic mount is the only mount that is being replaced outside of warranty also but that is not the case with Transmission Mount. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
Vivek5870 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 20:33   #3895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Thanks Sarathlal.

1. HASS is quoting Rs 5000 for replacement of the center arm rest rather than fixing the latch. Any possibility of getting it fixed from outside? Who would be the right person to fix this kind of stuff? Any accessories shop?
Vivek HASS is only good for replacing stuff and not repairing.For such a non-critical item such as a center arm rest spending 5k is waste of hard earned money.Please show it to a seat repair guy and see if he can fix it for you.Better save the money for fixing of the transmission rather than on the arm rest.
Old 15th November 2012, 20:44   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Vivek HASS is only good for replacing stuff and not repairing.For such a non-critical item such as a center arm rest spending 5k is waste of hard earned money.Please show it to a seat repair guy and see if he can fix it for you.Better save the money for fixing of the transmission rather than on the arm rest.
Agree with you Sumeet. Have given strict instructions to HASS to order just the lock rather than replace the full assembly. They have promised to procure the part by Saturday, the cost that they have mentioned is approximately Rs. 200, hence I ordered it from HASS.

Will keep you all posted after getting it fixed.
Old 15th November 2012, 22:59   #3897
BHPian

My 2 cents on this one.

Just replaced the battery in my civic key and its a fairly easy DIY. One philips screw to be opened and then from the left side slot pry the key with a pry tool or a '- head' screw driver and pop goes the cover of the key. Then you have a casing inside which can be taken out from the slot and worked on separately. There are locks on 2 sides of the casing and upon opening them with your nails or pry tool, you see the button cell placed. Pry it out and replace with another one.

Battery number in my car key - Panasonic CR 1616, 3 Volts

Replaced with Maxell CR 1616 3 Volts

Costed me 60 bux for the battery and free installation as it was a DIY.

BTW, I was under the impression that after replacing the battery, the small pin like round hole (seems to be a light) would glow but do not see it glowing even after replacement of battery. Is it supposed to light up when the button is pressed? The hole / light is on the key cover next to the buttons that we press to lock / unlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
The key has a small philips screw. Usually they have rather big screwdrivers and therefore unable to open the screw. I finally bought the battery myself and used a jewellery type screwdriver to open the screw and change the battery. Fairly easy DIY, the manual details the procedure also.

The biggest problem is that it is several years before one has to change the battery and this sometimes results in the screw getting rusted/jammed. I almost stripped the screw's head when trying to open it, it was jammed tight, but luckily it caught and opened. But if unlucky, then one may have no option but to change the key.
Old 15th November 2012, 23:51   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I also had a lot of noise from the Dealer (maybe Honda Assure as well) in the Civic. Told them that I will go back to New India.They then honoured it. Had no issues on the Brio, same dealer and he knew what was coming. The Royal Sundaram chap tried to wiggle out of the excess, but then the SM got it.
Hello Prof.

Can you please explain the excess in more detail. I did not understand a bit of it. My understanding is that the premium is 2.5% of IDV + around 2500 for other charges. This works out to a premium of 27500 if I consider the IDV at 10L.

It will be great if you could illustrate it with an example and also add this excess thingy in it for my understanding.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
Exactly, in my car the sound is coming from the dashboard near the area where the audio volume control is located. I can reproduce the noise by turning the key to the second position so that the fuel gauge etc lights up. Its like "Krrrrrrrrrrrrr..." and then it stops. Also it would last for like 3 seconds... Not sure what it is though... The same noise would come when I have stopped and about to switch off the car..
This is exactly what I have also heard and look blankly at the dash and display to understand what happened. This kind of noise does come up when I start the car first thing in the morning when the dots of temperature and fuel gauge go blank from full during initialization.

This kind of noise I could hear while switching off the engine after a 10 kms run and I think the cooling of AC has got impacted, can't confirm for sure since the outside temperature also was at 24 degrees at that time and I had set the temp of AC at 23 degrees.

Btw, is the AC of civic not as effective as the OHC? I find it weak in comparison to my OHC. Is that true?

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th November 2012 at 00:13. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 23:52   #3899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870
BTW, I was under the impression that after replacing the battery, the small pin like round hole (seems to be a light) would glow but do not see it glowing even after replacement of battery. Is it supposed to light up when the button is pressed? The hole / light is on the key cover next to the buttons that we press to lock / unlock.
I did the exact same thing a couple of days back. Yes, the light is supposed to glow when any button is pressed.
Old 16th November 2012, 00:16   #3900
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
Exactly, in my car the sound is coming from the dashboard near the area where the audio volume control is located. I can reproduce the noise by turning the key to the second position so that the fuel gauge etc lights up. Its like "Krrrrrrrrrrrrr..." and then it stops. Also it would last for like 3 seconds... Not sure what it is though... The same noise would come when I have stopped and about to switch off the car..
If its only at ignition ON and for few seconds then it might be just the fuel pump building pressure in the system and then turning itself off. Normal and seen in most MPFI petrol engine vehicles. But same happening at switch off, not sure, maybe one of the relays?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks