Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 11:40   #3181
BANNED

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Remember most cars sold in the west have an anti-rust warranty of at least six years. This is with salt also being spread on the roads in Winter. Most anti-rust fellows are more or less out of business.

What I will avoid is too frequent washing. This will leave water in the nooks and crannies. I did no treatment on my Accent, and even that showed signs of rust only after six years! Of course if you get a dent etc. to the bare metal get it fixed pronto.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:43   #3182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
- In an AT, is it required to engage the parking brake when the car is parked in the garage? The gear lever is in "P". That should do the job right?
Not sure of AT but in my manual it was suggested by the SA at Whitefield Honda that if i am parking the car at night at home (Which is safe), do not engage the parking brakes. Use them when i am someplace else like hotel/mall and have to park.

He suggested just put the car in first gear and leave it like that. Any idea if what he says makes sense?
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 13:59   #3183
BANNED

I think it is harking back to the FIAT/Padmini days when the hand brake had a habit of jamming and rusting. I have used to hand brake ever since 1976 at least with no trouble, on a variety of cars. Even the Padmini though after a major job I had to sit on the mechanics to put back the hand brake. They had just disabled it completely.

I do not even think when I engage the hand brake. It is second nature to me.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 21:32   #3184
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Not sure of AT but in my manual it was suggested by the SA at Whitefield Honda that if i am parking the car at night at home (Which is safe), do not engage the parking brakes. Use them when i am someplace else like hotel/mall and have to park.

He suggested just put the car in first gear and leave it like that. Any idea if what he says makes sense?
Difficult to find the right logic in his advice.

I dont think applying parking brakes will lead to any kind of issues. What happens many times is people drive off without disengaging the parking brakes. But since Civic has an alarm, this issue is mitigated.
Old 9th April 2012, 21:54   #3185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Difficult to find the right logic in his advice.

I dont think applying parking brakes will lead to any kind of issues. What happens many times is people drive off without disengaging the parking brakes. But since Civic has an alarm, this issue is mitigated.
I agree to mayankjha's statement. Even I remember reading somewhere that while parking the car at home, it is better to leave it in first gear and not apply the hand brakes. I think it has got to do something with the handbrakes getting stuck. I am not sure about it though.

But I follow it regularly. I only put the car in first gear at home and office while in malls and hotels I apply handbrakes.
Old 9th April 2012, 21:54   #3186
Senior - BHPian

A mechanic once advised me that leaving the car parked overnight with the hand brakes causes the rear brakes to jam etc. This is something i observed both in my 800 and the Civic.

Whenever i would leave the car parked with handbrake engaged for a day or two i would notice the brakes would lock up and the car would move with a slight thud sound of brakes disengaging while starting.I think this is pretty normal if the car like mine is not used everyday.
Old 10th April 2012, 09:31   #3187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A mechanic once advised me that leaving the car parked overnight with the hand brakes causes the rear brakes to jam etc. This is something i observed both in my 800 and the Civic.....
I have had no problems with using the hand brake overnight ever since 1976 so forget the mechanic, just do it.
Old 10th April 2012, 09:51   #3188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have had no problems with using the hand brake overnight ever since 1976 so forget the mechanic, just do it.
Well i have noticed that the rear brakes would lock up whenever i engage the parking brakes since neither of my cars are daily driven and both are used mostly on weekends.

However i still pull up the parking brake for saefty and on a second thought i think my mech had said i am must aviod pulling the brake in damp weather like the rainy season.

To make sure the brakes do not cause problems i simply disengage the brake and move the car a bit forward or backward twice every weekday (usually tue and thur) howewer even doing so causes the brakes to lock up at start the next time i start anyways but to a lesser extent.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:51   #3189
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I just wanted to have some information on the insurance amounts that we are paying for the civic.

I am looking for ward to renew next month. It would be the sixth year for the vehicle.

If you can share the current insurance amount and IDV it would be nice.

My 5th year IDV was at 5.5lakhs with a premium of 13K, had a claim in 4th year for some bumper painting, so this premium was without NCB. What should I be looking forward in the sixth year with a NCB of 20%
Old 10th April 2012, 13:41   #3190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I paid Rs.14,962/- for TATA-AIG policy in August, 2011 for for my August'2006 Civic-AT.

INSURED DECLARED VALUE : 578125/-
BASIC PREMIUM (3.612%) : 20881
DISCOUNT (50%) : 10880
SUB TOTAL : 10880
NO CLAIM BONUS (00%) : NIL
NET O.D .PREMIUM : 10880
THIRD PARTY LIABILITY : 2750
OWNER DRIVER : 100
L.L FOR DRIVER : 25
PASSENGERS COVERAGE (50*5) : 250
OPTIONAL
TOTAL PREMIUM : 13565
SERVICE TAX (10.30%) : 1397
FINAL PREMIUM : 14962/-

Sorry mods for the caps, because I have copied+pasted from the email I got in August'11.
mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 13:43   #3191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I just wanted to have some information on the insurance amounts that we are paying for the civic.

I am looking for ward to renew next month. It would be the sixth year for the vehicle.

My 5th year IDV was at 5.5lakhs with a premium of 13K, had a claim in 4th year for some bumper painting, so this premium was without NCB. What should I be looking forward in the sixth year with a NCB of 20%
Bought the Civic used last year in Aug.

Model year - Jan 2007
IDV - 5 lakhs
Premium- ~16K
Insurance co- Future Generali
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 14:32   #3192
BANNED

@laluks; Thumb rule 2.5% of IDV for Comprehensive, 1000 for Act + S Tax at 12.36%.

You can knock off 1500 (after NCB!) if you agree to bear the first 5000 of any claim. This figure may have changed after the jacking up of the compulsory excess.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 19:34   #3193
dot
Senior - BHPian

I had to renew insurance from ICICI mid March. Paid 15k, up by almost 5k from last year. IDV is 6+L (do not recollect the actual number). Have used up all no claim bonuses, so no more discounts.

BTW, ICICI was also had the least expensive quote.
Old 10th April 2012, 20:12   #3194
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys.
Got a quote from various agents for about 11K premium, and 5 lakh IDV. Seems ok ?
Old 10th April 2012, 20:17   #3195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys.
Got a quote from various agents for about 11K premium, and 5 lakh IDV. Seems ok ?
Lalu, that's too high.

Here are the quotes I got last year for my 1 year old (then) -

HDFC Ergo - ~16k INR (15900 or something similar)
Bajaj Allianz - ~18250 INR
Tata AIG - ~19200 INR

Reliance was somewhere around the 17k INR mark, and of course Honda Assure was the costliest at ~24.5k INR. The exact figures must be up on my ownership thread.

Remember that this was for a 1 year old V M/T, so a.) the IDV was pretty high, and b.) NCB was similar to yours, at 20%.

I'm sure that for a 5.5 lac IDV, with some bargaining, using DSAs instead of directly contacting the companies and pitting agent against agent you can get a sweet deal.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks