Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2013, 09:52   #4231
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
HSS guys will not give it (I checked with all Honda dealers like a mad romeo, this was my dream project). Only way to procure them in from insurance dumpyard guys, spare parts procurers, or US exporters (order by part number online). City part will definitely work with your civic. Apart from just adding steering remote, you will need to change the clockspring assembly (Sits behind the airbag module). This cable helps retain connection when you turn the steering with snapping any cables. Its like a long ribbon that is wound up in such a way that when you turn the steering, it can start unwinding. If you don't get proper clockspring module, you will *risk* injuring yourself in case of faulty wiring. Please do not even think of using unused cable leads and let the mechanic do soldering to utilize the unused leads in OEM cable. Best thing would be to procure the entire steering assembly with airbag assembly in interest of safety. Also, since the leads connect to audio system, you cannot have both rear and steering controls working simultaneously. it calls for some hacking here, and I won't recommend that. I would say drop the plan. Else be safe and cough up ~25K with steering control working. You may consider getting one with cruise control switches, so in future, you can have another project
Its not difficult at all. Its only about disconnecting the batter, dismount the airbag and preparing a wire harness. Mgr4u (Manan) had done this on his Civic.
Old 25th March 2013, 20:30   #4232
BHPian

I was feeling jerk while accelerating very slowly just before the gear shifts to 3rd from 2nd between 1.5 - 2k RPM. Gave the car today to Magnum Honda and they will give back the car in 2 to 3 days. Hoping nothing serious.
Old 25th March 2013, 20:53   #4233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HSS guys will not give it (I checked with all Honda dealers like a mad romeo, this was my dream project).
Hi devsoftech, how's your civic doing ?I hope its ok cause i remember reading about you getting the engine gasket or something changed.
Old 25th March 2013, 21:05   #4234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi devsoftech, how's your civic doing ?I hope its ok cause i remember reading about you getting the engine gasket or something changed.
CIVIC's been good since last HSS visit (6 months before, clocked 5000kms since then), without any issues. The head swap was successful (Done at castrol service centre), engine revvs freely without any issues. The castrol guys however took me for a ride with the coolant system, pretensioner unit and engine's serpentine belt. They mislead me that pretensioner work will cost me 26000, so I had opted for cheaper 7000 "used" pretensioner + 4000 for serpentine belt (non standard). They failed to resolve the "grr-grr" noise and my hard earned money went into drain. I later went to HSS and they changed the pretensioner (7000), new belt and issue was resolved. It was a big lesson for me to not rely on road side mechanics for "cheaper" spares. While they helped me save lot of money on head swap, they definitely took me for a ride with other job. Also, radiator system required an overhaul (flush+thermostat change), (due to engine oil circulating in radiator assembly when the head had cracked by previous owner).
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 18:21   #4235
BHPian

Can you guys having AT please try this, accelerate very slowly extreme light tap on pedal. At the speed of 20 - 25 there is a slight jerk before shifting to 3rd gear, i have been reading in 8thgencivic forum that this is a common problem.

HASS tried diagnosing but they couldn't find any errors or faults. They said they have to open up the tranny to inspect mechanical damage. Damages is 30k just for transmission overhaul.

Right now i have asked them to just flush the transmission fluid and try.
Old 28th March 2013, 14:15   #4236
BHPian

Got the car back. Transmission fluid was flushed. So they drained the transmission fluid, filled new fluid. Ran the car for 15 mins and then flushed the fluid again and filled with new fluid. Consumed 7 litres of fluid totally.

Now the jerk is gone, shifts are a lot smoother and am enjoying the new car

I should mention my appreciation to Mr. Thomas who took special interest to come with me for test drives and answer all my questions and helping with the diagnosis
srsriharsha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 18:02   #4237

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I think I read about it somewhere is this thread. Unable to find it.

My issue is with the foul smell while using a/c. I did get my a/c system/vents cleaned at the ASC on my last servicing. I also got a cabin air filter installed. But it does not seem to have any effect on the smell. Tried with different brands of perfumes/sticks etc. It only seems to make it worse. My daughter now hates to get into the car due to this. Does anybody here have any really effective solution to this issue?
I had a similar issue with my 2009 Civic which eminates a foul fungal - musty smell immediately upon turning the AC on, and which subsides in few minutes. I had the ducts cleaned / deodorized at 3M car care center on Varthur Road (between Maratahalli bridge & Kundalahalli Gate) and it solved my problem. They use a foam cleaner which is sprayed on through a long lexible tube from a compressed can, inserted deep into each of the vents, leave for about 10 minutes and then run the blower for few minutes. Only caution is to wipe off the foam coming off when blowers are switched on, withut staining the dash. Charged me around Rs.700 if I am right, and my car has been smelling good since ( for 3 months now). Hope this helps.
Suresh Nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 02:49   #4238
BHPian

Guys I'm not happy either service being provided at the Ring Road Honda service centre at Peeraghari, Delhi.

Sure they pick up my car for free tons of times and I get it back but the issues are not being resolved.

I haven't had the time to go to them and give them an earful until now, so tomorrow they get a good scolding from me.

My problems with the year and half old civic keep growing and I don't know what to do. Lack of time and their incompetence is highly annoying.
After you read the list you will understand why.

Out of your experience, Are there any alternatives to this service centre (I heard it better to stick to 1 SC)

Here are the issues I am facing,

1. Left side dented and scratched. Not repaired with previous claim.
2. Right front door, inner black plastic scratched
3. Car, footwell, sun visor, mirrors, fabric are returned dirty. They have some sort of black marks plus mirrors have dashboard polish marks on them.
4. Steering column is hard. It was opened to find a water leakage issue which was fixed.
5. Rubbing to be done on OVRM right
6. Car not re fit properly - unknown black plastic cover on driver side pocket
7. Key chain missing
8. Right side step blue light still not fixed
9. Doors still make noise, not greased properly
10. Pickup has dropped I think and the car seems sluggish
11. Some sort of rattle coming from footwell or steering column when going over bad roads
12. Accelerator and clutch pedals making slight noise while press and release. Probably not greased.
13. Wind noise entering cabin at 100+ speeds.

I'm just so lost and dont know how to get these issues resolved :(
Old 30th March 2013, 21:33   #4239
BHPian

Got 60,000 kms servicing done (car clocked 56325 kms on ODO). Last service was 50,000 kms 6 months before.
Service done at Elite Automobiles Pvt. Ltd.

Here's the damages (incl taxes):
1. RIGHT FRONT FENDER INNER LINING 74101SNAA10 - 715
2. (Engine mount) MTG RUB ASSY. ENG - 50820SNBH01 - 7647.42 (This was not covered under warranty as the car is Aug/2006 - He said 2008 onwards cars are eligible)
3. FRONT BRAKE PAD + FRONT BRAKE DISK + CALIPER SET+Labour = 6616+6192+1288+1330 . I avoided brake disk skimming, parts being almost 6 years old, better to replace.
4. Air filter was replaced at 50k, so it was skipped
5. Engine oil swap was skipped as next change is due at 65k (done outside)
7. Transmission fluid was replaced - 1500
8. Recommendation: FRONT RH CLIPPER ASSY TO BE CHANGED (Estimated cost 12000)

Few questions/Observations:
1. At 50k, SA had advised to change Brake master cylinder (worth 4k), this time they said it was boot leakage near front brake calipers. And now they say clipper assembly is a potential issue and is a candidate for replacement in next few thousand kilometers. - Is this a critical component, why should I change it ? How come the brake master cylinder is no longer an issue
2. The 50k service advisor (SA) was from my city. He had actually put lot of useless items as CNA (Customer not approved) even without asking me. For some items, he did however tell me that he wanted to help me cut down my bills. Today, a different SA showed up and his attitude was different. It helps cut down your bills, when you have a friendly SA. Did others feel the same way at Dakshin honda ?
3. After taking delivery (post servicing and ECU reset as clock time had reset), my RPM drops down to 400-600, car rattles and regains back to 700ish whenevr I slot from D/S mode to N. Is it because ECU is learning after the reset, or is my torque converter giving up ?
Please rule out engine mount and auto tensioner as both have been replaced at 60k/50k.
4. Why was the ATF Transmission fluid changed in just 6000 kms more. It was dont at 50k. Did they inflate the work unnecessarily ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Nair View Post
I had a similar issue with my 2009 Civic which eminates a foul fungal - musty smell immediately upon turning the AC on, and which subsides in few minutes.
Thanks, facing same issue - will go for it.

Last edited by devsoftech : 30th March 2013 at 21:35.
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 23:28   #4240
BHPian

Quote:
4. Why was the ATF Transmission fluid changed in just 6000 kms more. It was dont at 50k. Did they inflate the work unnecessarily ?
I can't help with the other questions, but for this one, I think ATF fluid change is due as part of 60k service and its not done earlier except when asked for specifically.
Old 1st April 2013, 07:10   #4241
Senior - BHPian

So Honda Civic and Jazz finally removed from Honda's website. As a current civic owner, should I be worried? I plan to stick with the Civic for another 4-5 years..
Old 1st April 2013, 17:31   #4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
So Honda Civic and Jazz finally removed from Honda's website. As a current civic owner, should I be worried? I plan to stick with the Civic for another 4-5 years..
Hopefully, Honda will live up to it's world wide reputation of supporting phased out models in India too. I got my pre-owned Civic only 4 months back, and enjoying every bit of it and not in a mood to give it off - a feeling I am sure other Civic owners share.
Old 1st April 2013, 18:47   #4243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Nair View Post

Hopefully, Honda will live up to it's world wide reputation of supporting phased out models in India too. I got my pre-owned Civic only 4 months back, and enjoying every bit of it and not in a mood to give it off - a feeling I am sure other Civic owners share.
Well the ohc and the nhc were phased out long back and still sell at good resale value and are fairly easy to maintain at independant garages.I dont think maintaining a civic will be of any problem for the next few years.
Old 1st April 2013, 21:41   #4244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post

My car stayed in Mangum for 3 days, and they seem to have found the potential issue or cause. It's the sensor that is malfunctioning, which is confusing the car to choose right gear. For now they have swapped the sensor with another from their stock, and adviced me to monitor for a week. If problem doesn't occur, they will order for a new sensor. They haven't charged me a penny yet.
I hope the root cause is the sensor, and it's fixed for good.
All, monitored the issue for last one week, added 500kms and issue seems to have resolved. Magnum has ordered for new sensor, expecting next week. Thanks to magnum and Mr. Thomas (service manager) for fixing the root cause without ripoff.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 23:50   #4245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Well the ohc and the nhc were phased out long back and still sell at good resale value and are fairly easy to maintain at independant garages.I dont think maintaining a civic will be of any problem for the next few years.
Not just independent garages, the ohc is easy to maintain at Honda service centers as well. Seeing this firsthand gave me the confidence to buy a pre-owned civic last october with an intent to keep it for a few years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks