Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2013, 11:54   #4141
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I was looking to understand the music setup in my civic before going in for an upgrade.

I am currently using my dad's Honda civic 2006. can anyone elaborate on the speaker setup? Does the 2006 India civic have 4 or 6 speakers? Any tweeters? We don't get a stock sub in India, that much I know.
Somehow, I like to stock audio of my 2006 Civic.

I have a Polo Highline also but I don't like its stock audio. So, without spending much for HU, sub, etc., I am planning to replace the speakers.

If you (or any other forum member) ever replace your Civic speakers, please let me know if you want to sell those.

Mods, please delete this post if you find it is not relevant to the topic or not according to the forum rules.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:38   #4142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking to understand the music setup in my civic before going in for an upgrade.

I am currently using my dad's Honda civic 2006. can anyone elaborate on the speaker setup? Does the 2006 India civic have 4 or 6 speakers? Any tweeters? We don't get a stock sub in India, that much I know.
The speaker setup for the Civic is 2+2+2 (front + rear + tweeters).
Front ones are placed on the doors, rear ones just behind the seats, and tweeters on the dashboard near the A pillars.

The only difference with respect to the 09 facelift version was the inclusion of USB port and swapping the 6 CD changer with a single CD player.

And you are right with the subs, the Civic donot come with Subs.
Old 10th February 2013, 08:34   #4143
Senior - BHPian

Guys i have noticed oil stains on the power steering hose pipe.I hope it's not a sign of leakage though oil level in the reservoir seems ok.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130210_082857.png
Views: 2651
Size:  580.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130210_082909.png
Views: 2647
Size:  731.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130210_082926.png
Views: 2724
Size:  695.5 KB

I hope the stains are just stains,attaching pics for your comments.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 10th February 2013 at 08:43.
Old 11th February 2013, 08:42   #4144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The speaker setup for the Civic is 2+2+2 (front + rear + tweeters).
Front ones are placed on the doors, rear ones just behind the seats, and tweeters on the dashboard near the A pillars.

The only difference with respect to the 09 facelift version was the inclusion of USB port and swapping the 6 CD changer with a single CD player.

And you are right with the subs, the Civic donot come with Subs.
Thanks for the explanation.

What do you guys think about the speakers in the Civic? I just added an aux-in for my 06 civic and I found out that although it sounds decent, mid range is not that good and that punch isn't there, especially bass. My punto has better stock speakers.

Hence coming to my question. Is the stock HU in the civic decent enough and will I get an improvement in audio quality if I just replace the speakers? I don't want to go in for an amp just now.

Can anyone recommend some good speakers for the civic? 4+2 tweeters is decent. any specific speakers in mind? probably ones I will keep for good and augment them with an amp and sub at a later stage?
Old 11th February 2013, 11:42   #4145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys i have noticed oil stains on the power steering hose pipe.I hope it's not a sign of leakage though oil level in the reservoir seems ok.

I hope the stains are just stains,attaching pics for your comments.
I had lost some fluid a long time back (Dec 2011) and it was because it had burst up through the cap. After topping up it is perfect till date.

I remember you had this problem before because of a non-Honda hose? And now it is a Honda original? Maybe the connections are a bit loose?
Old 11th February 2013, 12:25   #4146
BHPian

Having had Civic, Laura and Cruze in family, I can tell that Laura had the best sound system, the bass is super deep and clear and clarity at high volume too is terrific. Cruze has the most pathetic one, seems low quality from word go, very cheap IMO. Civic's system however has very clear sound (extremely). A few friends were actually surprised with the quality of sound. Where it lacks is in Bass. Bass is not at all deep, which actually is sad from a D Segmenter if you are one of those who needs good music (specially R&B) from the time you turn the key. I keep my phone's setting to Bass when I play music from AUX and then it is better. Also keep your treble to something like -3 or -4 and bass to +6 to get best bass, but then it will be a compromise with the sound clarity, specially the vocals.

Easy fix would be replacement of speakers with punchier bass and you'll be just fine, even without an Amp, I am thinking of not disturbing the good tweater and rear speakers, just replacing the 2 front speakers in the doors.
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 15:48   #4147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
Civic's system however has very clear sound (extremely). A few friends were actually surprised with the quality of sound. Where it lacks is in Bass. Bass is not at all deep, which actually is sad from a D Segmenter if you are one of those who needs good music (specially R&B) from the time you turn the key. I keep my phone's setting to Bass when I play music from AUX and then it is better. Also keep your treble to something like -3 or -4 and bass to +6 to get best bass, but then it will be a compromise with the sound clarity, specially the vocals.

Easy fix would be replacement of speakers with punchier bass and you'll be just fine, even without an Amp, I am thinking of not disturbing the good tweater and rear speakers, just replacing the 2 front speakers in the doors.
Whoa..you hit the nail on the head. The sound is pretty good. But when you're liistening to metal or house/trance, the bass just isnt there, not noticeable enough. So lacks that punch.

Yea..even I figured that new speakers would do the trick. I'll leave the tweeters, probably change all 4 speakers. But the thing is, am a novice when it comes to car audio. Can anybody recommend some good speakers for my civic? plan to change all 4, leave the tweeters. I would hope specs wise they would be future proof, so I can add an amp and a sub at a later stage.

any help? thanks.
Old 11th February 2013, 16:47   #4148
BHPian

Quote:

Whoa..you hit the nail on the head. The sound is pretty good. But when you're liistening to metal or house/trance, the bass just isnt there, not noticeable enough. So lacks that punch.

Yea..even I figured that new speakers would do the trick. I'll leave the tweeters, probably change all 4 speakers. But the thing is, am a novice when it comes to car audio. Can anybody recommend some good speakers for my civic? plan to change all 4, leave the tweeters. I would hope specs wise they would be future proof, so I can add an amp and a sub at a later stage.

any help? thanks.
I'm in a similar situation, planning to upgrade sound system on my civic. However I'm thinking of doing it in stages.
First put an amp and drive front n rear speakers from the amp. My guess is this should improve sound esp bass output - other owners can weigh in here.
Second phase is to upgrade speakers if needed.
Old 12th February 2013, 22:44   #4149
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Any idea on what all stuff will get reset if you disconnect the battery and then connect back?

Clock is one thing, but my average mileage indicators across Tripmeters also went off. Same was the case with the brakes. It went hard initially. But upon driving 5-6 kms, it became like how it was. So, am basically trying to see what all could get reset with a battery disconnect
Old 13th February 2013, 06:07   #4150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
...First put an amp and drive front n rear speakers from the amp. ...
Not a good idea....I dont think the stock speakers would match up to the amp. If you are going for an amp, you might as well upgrade the front with components and rear co-axials, so it will be just a one-time strip of car interiors for wiring/install.
Old 13th February 2013, 08:09   #4151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Not a good idea....I dont think the stock speakers would match up to the amp. If you are going for an amp, you might as well upgrade the front with components and rear co-axials, so it will be just a one-time strip of car interiors for wiring/install.
True that. Any idea if the stock speakers are component speakers?

I'm looking to upgrade and am a novice when it comes to car audio..so what kind of setup should I go for? component speakers for the front and co-axials for the rear? can i stick to stock Tweeters?

I'm looking to add a sub and amp but at a later stage. currently only speaker upgrade. Can anyone recommend some good speakers? I want some with good mid range and bass, something the stock lacks in, and future proof, so I can just add an amp and sub later.

Component or co-axial? which is better and why? Thanks!
Old 13th February 2013, 16:02   #4152
BHPian

Guys.A .Electrical issue for my Civic '07 Vmt model ! Rat has eaten the wires coming to the Right side Door and the power window/Mirror indicator/Lock's are not working Honda service guys quoting 11k for the wiring kit and moreover it has to be ordered as they don't have any stock as of now.Any other options available, a cheaper solution perhaps ??
Old 13th February 2013, 16:58   #4153
BHPian

Quote:
ok, I thought the fronts are already components and rear co-axials.

Nevertheless, yes it would be a one time strip of the car interiors so an attractive option.
However since I typed that post the CD player has conked out and giving a "Mech error" message. So i'm now thinking on the lines of saving up for a couple of months longer and going the whole shebang - change HU, speakers + amp + damping.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 17:43   #4154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Component or co-axial? which is better and why? Thanks!
Component speakers would have better sound quality over the spectrum (with clear separation across spectrum), as compared to the co-axials.

I think the minimum upgrade to make the best use of the vast interior volume of the car would be 4-channel amp, 2 channels to power the new components up front, and the other 2 channels bridged to power a boot-mounted sub. Amp minimum 50W RMS per channel, and going higher as permitted by budget. And good quality damping atleast for the front doors is a must. Optional : better co-axials at the rear, driven off HU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
ok, I thought the fronts are already components and rear co-axials....
The front door has a speaker and there are tweeters on the dash, but I am not sure if there is a x-over network.

And the stock rear is not co-axial, but just a full-range unit.

The stock units look puny (Look...Ma ... no magnets in these speakers ), but they have decent sound output. Quite amazing!

In my opinion, it is better to wait/save and do it all in one go. I recently went thru this exercise, and am very happy with the improved sound of music now.

It was a bit saddening to see the car interiors all taken apart (of course, neatly/professionally), hence, I feel it is better to have it done just once.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 13th February 2013 at 17:53.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 23:20   #4155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Component speakers would have better sound quality over the spectrum (with clear separation across spectrum), as compared to the co-axials.

I think the minimum upgrade to make the best use of the vast interior volume of the car would be 4-channel amp, 2 channels to power the new components up front, and the other 2 channels bridged to power a boot-mounted sub. Amp minimum 50W RMS per channel, and going higher as permitted by budget. And good quality damping atleast for the front doors is a must. Optional : better co-axials at the rear, driven off HU.

The front door has a speaker and there are tweeters on the dash, but I am not sure if there is a x-over network.

And the stock rear is not co-axial, but just a full-range unit.
I am looking to do an upgrade in 2 stages. First the speakers. then 8-9 months down the line, add a sub nd amp.

Can anyone suggest some good speakers? Should I go for component speakers at the front and co-axials at the back? any particular speakers and / or brand of speakers recommended?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks