Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 22:00   #2641
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

^Jatin, I still think it is a battery issue. My primary key was giving similar trouble last month, once battery was replaced, everything is normal, thankfully. You can talk to the Pune guy if you wish. His specialty is Merc keys, Merc electrical and AC systems.
Old 17th December 2011, 10:09   #2642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel
Hello all

My rear right seat belt is stuck, its just simply catching on not able to use it at all what could be the issue?
could be the seat belt tensioner mechanism is kaput ? if so what is the cost has anyone here replaced it ever ? this is my First ever car with a seat-belt issue.

Also the key of my remote the unlock button is very very problamatic the sensitiveness of the button is simply gone, its like after pressing it 5-6 times if the luck is good it will lock or else insert the key in door handle and lock it manually. Another issue with the key is that at times the engine simply doesn crank and the key symbol on the cluster glows up thus stating that coding issue with the key and hence immobilizer cutting in

kindly shed some light on this
specially the key and seatbelt issue
Had faced both the problems:
Key: remove the screws and cleanup the battery points and general dust. Worked for me.

Seat belt pretensioner : 5000 + taxes each.

All the best.
Old 17th December 2011, 10:16   #2643
Senior - BHPian

The problem could be with the lock and not the key. The remote key replacement is possible also, but at quite a high cost for some reason. Maybe they need to change the lock, since Honda may not have given the dealers the code to program the new key? Highly unlikely I would think.

Maybe you need to change the lock at that cost... Better to be safe than get stranded, because if the key is not recognised, you will not be able to start the car at all.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 17th December 2011 at 10:17.
Old 17th December 2011, 18:23   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Hello all
Also the key of my remote the unlock button is very very problamatic the sensitiveness of the button is simply gone, its like after pressing it 5-6 times if the luck is good it will lock or else insert the key in door handle and lock it manually. Another issue with the key is that at times the engine simply doesn crank and the key symbol on the cluster glows up thus stating that coding issue with the key and hence immobilizer cutting in
Jatin did you try with the second spare key.Does that also give you the immobilzer problem ?As for the lock/unlock button even mine gives issue at times.A slightly firm press is all this is needed to lock/unlock doors.
Old 19th December 2011, 00:11   #2645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar

Jatin did you try with the second spare key.Does that also give you the immobilzer problem ?As for the lock/unlock button even mine gives issue at times.A slightly firm press is all this is needed to lock/unlock doors.
Even I had an issue with the lock/unlock buttons. Replacement of the key battery solved the issue. Not very sure about the issue with the ignition though.
Old 19th December 2011, 19:58   #2646
BHPian

Engine coolant

Was checking the engine bay today and found the engine coolant empty! (in the reservoir and inside the radiator cap).

I generally do not bother to check anything under the bonnet (based on my previous experience with the first gen honda-city 1.5 which was extremely reliable).

Since I am 150 kms from the nearest service-station, the SA (over phone) advised me to use plain water instead of the coolant-water mixture. (The manual tells you NOT to use plain water). But since I plan to replace my coolant in the next service at 1 lakh kms, I poured water. It took in half a litre to come to the upper-level mark.

Honda tells you to replace the coolant after a huge 2 lakh kms or 10 years. Since most people will never own/drive the car that long, it means a lifetime of the original factory filled coolant.

Anyone here has topped up the coolant or replaced it?
Would be interested to hear about it.
Old 19th December 2011, 21:39   #2647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
^Jatin, I still think it is a battery issue. My primary key was giving similar trouble last month, once battery was replaced, everything is normal, thankfully. You can talk to the Pune guy if you wish. His specialty is Merc keys, Merc electrical and AC systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Had faced both the problems:
Key: remove the screws and cleanup the battery points and general dust. Worked for me.

Seat belt pretensioner : 5000 + taxes each.

All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Key issue for now, atleast is solved by giving it high dosage of WD40 and replacing the rubber pads below the electrical key and button.

OMG for the belt tensioner cost i hope it can be repaired or else will have to consider replacing it or not as 98% of the time car has only one or two occupants at the max.

@manim
I recently topped coolant with water i think 250-300ml went as there was little leakage from the upper tank of radiator to cylinder head side the hose was removed cleaned the mating surface also cleaned applied silicon sealant and packed it up.

Now in few days car is going for service that time will be replacing the coolant.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 21:47   #2648
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine coolant

never checked the level in the civic..will do that tonight.

But in my OHC ..i have been running on only water since few year now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Was checking the engine bay today and found the engine coolant empty! (in the reservoir and inside the radiator cap).

I generally do not bother to check anything under the bonnet (based on my previous experience with the first gen honda-city 1.5 which was extremely reliable).

Since I am 150 kms from the nearest service-station, the SA (over phone) advised me to use plain water instead of the coolant-water mixture. (The manual tells you NOT to use plain water). But since I plan to replace my coolant in the next service at 1 lakh kms, I poured water. It took in half a litre to come to the upper-level mark.

Honda tells you to replace the coolant after a huge 2 lakh kms or 10 years. Since most people will never own/drive the car that long, it means a lifetime of the original factory filled coolant.

Anyone here has topped up the coolant or replaced it?
Would be interested to hear about it.
Old 20th December 2011, 00:02   #2649
BHPian

Hey guys.

I understand that the bulbs used in Civic '11 are,
HB3 - 9005 - High Beam
HB4 - 9006 - Low Beam

Can someone please confirm this?
Also which bulbs are used by the fog lamps?

I am planning to get all the bulbs upgraded due to the fog in Delhi NCR at late night and early morning.
Any suggestions where in South Delhi I could find Philips bulbs, the ones with yellow light and not white, for the civic?
Old 20th December 2011, 21:55   #2650
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Hey guys.

I understand that the bulbs used in Civic '11 are,
HB3 - 9005 - High Beam
HB4 - 9006 - Low Beam
Yes, you are right. 9005 for high beam and 9006 for low beam.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:28   #2651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
If one want to reduce the braking, one is looking for carbon ceremic pads from mintex, akebono, brembo etc.
Gaurav, you mean reduce braking distance?, are these pads better then the ones that come with Civic from Honda. I read this in this thread that they would possibly last ~40K Kms.

Carbon ceramic pads? are the OEM ones Carbon Fibre?

Also i read the first service would have no oil change, just some cleanup and checkup, is that true?
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:57   #2652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Gaurav, you mean reduce braking distance?, are these pads better then the ones that come with Civic from Honda. I read this in this thread that they would possibly last ~40K Kms.
More than reducing the braking distance, the carbon ceremic pads will reduce the brake fade under regular heavy braking. They will be more heat resistant, and therefore, reduce the braking distance and brake fade.

But i think its better to change both the discs and the pads to carbon ceremic for optimum brake performance. Also, if you are running on stock tyres, its not worth upgrading the brakes.

IMO, until you brake like crazy all the time, its not worth spending that money on carbon ceremic pads..

Quote:
Carbon ceramic pads? are the OEM ones Carbon Fibre?
Nope, you will only find carbon ceremic pads only in performace cars such as AMGs, Ms, Porches etc..

Quote:
Also i read the first service would have no oil change, just some cleanup and checkup, is that true?
if its 5k/3 months service, yes, there will be no oil change. If its 10k/6 months service, it would require an oil change..

And yes, stock brake pads should last 30-40 k kms easily, if you drive hard occasionally.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 22nd December 2011 at 17:11.
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:29   #2653
BHPian

Friends, Quick question, how many liters of Synthetic oil is needed at oil change? Sent my Civic AT for the 40k service and the SA says 4.5 liters @1100/liter is needed. At my last change I remember I paid around 2000 odd for the oil change. Isn't 4.5 liters of oil a little too high?
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:52   #2654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends, Quick question, how many liters of Synthetic oil is needed at oil change? Sent my Civic AT for the 40k service and the SA says 4.5 liters @1100/liter is needed. At my last change I remember I paid around 2000 odd for the oil change. Isn't 4.5 liters of oil a little too high?
4-4.5 L is standard...us can use the extra little for topups whenever.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:53   #2655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how many liters of Synthetic oil is needed at oil change?
The capacity is 3.7L for civic. Please refer to owners manual, its mentioned there.. DO NOT OVERFILL. IT WILL EVENTUALLY MAKE THE ENGINE SEALS GO KAPUT.. Even if you consider the oil filter which will take some oil, you add another 200 ml, but thats still under 4L.

And yes, last I heard, Honda's recommended Ide Mitsui synthetic doesnt cost that much.. It costed us about 2800 for under 4L, 2-3 months back from ASC.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd December 2011 at 15:57.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed