Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 19:42   #2716
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I'm not proud about this but I just paid Rs. 2,085 for wheel alignment & balancing @ Peninsular Honda, Mangalore. It's Rs. 400 for alignment & Rs. 360 for balancing and the rest for the weights.

Weight Balance 10 - Rs. 233 (2 Qty)
Weight Balance 20 - Rs. 567 (4 Qty)
Weight Balance 30 - Rs. 370 (2 Qty)
Weight Balance 25G - Rs. 154 (1 Qty)

When the service advisor was explaining the bill, I was distracted (I had an urge to pee) and just said "OK, OK fine". It's only now that I'm checking the bill after I got home.

The 50,000 km service cost me Rs. 5,812 overall.
Old 11th January 2012, 21:04   #2717
BANNED

The charges do look a bit excessive. I always get my balancing from the outside.
Old 11th January 2012, 21:37   #2718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'm not proud about this but I just paid Rs. 2,085 for wheel alignment & balancing @ Peninsular Honda, Mangalore. It's Rs. 400 for alignment & Rs. 360 for balancing and the rest for the weights.

Weight Balance 10 - Rs. 233 (2 Qty)
Weight Balance 20 - Rs. 567 (4 Qty)
Weight Balance 30 - Rs. 370 (2 Qty)
Weight Balance 25G - Rs. 154 (1 Qty)

When the service advisor was explaining the bill, I was distracted (I had an urge to pee) and just said "OK, OK fine". It's only now that I'm checking the bill after I got home.

The 50,000 km service cost me Rs. 5,812 overall.
If you do balancing at Honda Service then these rates are normal.

But outside you get cheaper rates for the weights. But The Honda ones did "look" professional . I do balancing outside and get those sticker weights stuck inside the rim. It works, but never "felt" like the Honda weights look wise But get some substantial penny saved.
Old 11th January 2012, 22:05   #2719
BHPian

@laluks

How do the sticker weights are placed in your rims ?
cause at the place where i get my civics balancing and alignment done when they tried to use stick-on weights, due to clearance issue the weights used to touch the front calipers although no issues with rear.

Hence my car has those standard ugly looking weights.

Could please enlighten me as to how the stick-on weights in your civic have been placed or which type of weights are placed ?
Old 11th January 2012, 22:30   #2720
Senior - BHPian

These pictures from the web gives a comparison. The steel clipon weights looks a lot like the ones we get from HASS. Probably that is costlier too.

We get the lead type from the local balancing places, probably uglier ones than these.

Most other places use the sticker weights inside the rims.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-wheel_balancer_weight.jpg

Alignment of the sticker weights must be done like this so as not to get touched by the calipers.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imagescayfomi7.jpg

Let me see if I can click a picture of the weights inside the rim of my civvy.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 00:09   #2721
BHPian

@laluks thanks for the info would appreciate lot if you could click the pic as i am not able to stand the looks of those horrid clipon weights
Old 12th January 2012, 00:33   #2722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@laluks thanks for the info would appreciate lot if you could click the pic as i am not able to stand the looks of those horrid clipon weights
I get it done from outside. The clip-on weights in my car have been attached on the inside of the rims. And so there's nothing visible on the alloys.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:23   #2723
BANNED

One more point which I missed out. Alloys with thivker rim edges are much better off with the steel weights. There are not that many local sources for these.

Strictly speaking, there should (at most) be one weight on the outside and one on the inside of each wheel. I see the list is nine. Was the spare also balanced. With lead weights the quality is not that good, so two weights next to each other, or across from each other are not that uncommon.
Old 13th January 2012, 19:34   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One more point which I missed out. Alloys with thivker rim edges are much better off with the steel weights. There are not that many local sources for these.

Strictly speaking, there should (at most) be one weight on the outside and one on the inside of each wheel. I see the list is nine. Was the spare also balanced. With lead weights the quality is not that good, so two weights next to each other, or across from each other are not that uncommon.
Sir, I was informed that Alloy wheels (the stock ones that come on the car when you purchase it) can only accommodate steel weights or sticker weights and lead weights are not suitable. I do not have the WA and WB done at the Honda Service centre due to cost issues but was informed this at the place where I get the WA and WB done. While I dont plan to use lead weights, could you please enlighten me whether it is in fact feasible to affix lead weights on alloy wheels? Thank you.
Old 14th January 2012, 09:48   #2725
BANNED

@vanam; Most of the better balancing chaps are able to attach lead as well. I had this done in my old Accent and they did tend to stay on.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:02   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Guys need some advice

My Civic Feb 2010 insurance is expiring on 4th Feb 2012.

I have received the following quotes on an IDV of Rs. 9,47,108/-
  • Honda Assure for Rs. 20116/- which gives some extra benefits like less depreciation on all parts and 50% consumables free. A coupon for free wax polish supposedly worth Rs. 1500/- also as a freebie included.
  • HDFC Ergo for Rs. 16378/-
Which policy should I buy?

Thanks.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:12   #2727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Guys need some advice

• Honda Assure for Rs. 20116/- which gives some extra benefits like less depreciation on all parts and 50% consumables free. A coupon for free wax polish supposedly worth Rs. 1500/- also as a freebie included.
  • HDFC Ergo for Rs. 16378/-
Which policy should I buy?

Thanks.
Newton's Third Law of Car Insurance states that - The Insurance policy with the lowest quote is the best one to buy, provided you don't keep crashing your car too often.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 19:06   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg
Guys need some advice

[*]Honda Assure for Rs. 20116/- which gives some extra benefits like less depreciation on all parts and 50% consumables free. A coupon for free wax polish supposedly worth Rs. 1500/- also as a freebie included.[*]HDFC Ergo for Rs. 16378/-Which policy should I buy?

Thanks.
I got myself the Honda Assure just to avoid the hassles last year and yes it proved very useful. Renewed with the same one this year. Did you also check about the zero depreciation policy. You pay a premium over the normal one but end up paying a lot less in case of a crash (I paid only Rs.1400 once when a right front fender, front bumper, right side orvm assembly and right front tyre were replaced, when my stationary car was banged by a truck). BTW where are you taking the policy from if its a Honda dealership you could try getting a better deal in terms of freebies.
Old 18th January 2012, 19:40   #2729
BHPian

Hi

The original Godyear tyres are due for change after 70K kms & 5 years. Tread still looks like I can push another 2K kms. However have noticed that front right side tyre always looses air quickly. The rest of the tyres maintaing the airpressure. Is it a case of tyre giving up ?

Also request inputs/suggestions on replacement tyres in Mumbai (Chembur/Vashi). Please help with make (Bridgstone/ Michelin). Any deals going around. Whats the take on Apollo & MRF ?

Am looking at Bridgsstone do the other tyres deserve the premium for city driving.

Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 21:26   #2730
dot
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am regularly using Lucas Injector cleaner and Upper cylinder lubricant. one bottle is added during tankful. I do feel a better pulling power from the car, specially at the low rpm end. It says that it reduces knocking when used with low octane fuel. While I cant verify that, but it certainly leads to a smoother engine experience.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-images.jpg
dot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks