Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:48   #5131
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I am getting a bit worried about my Civic. It makes a creaking sound from the front when I negotiate it over speed breakers. The engine mount is fine. Am I looking at a hefty bill - suspension issue?

@civic-dk

How much did the infinity components and the jbl amp cost you? I'm looking at something to boost the audio experience without burning a huge hole in my pocket.
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:10   #5132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I am getting a bit worried about my Civic. It makes a creaking sound from the front when I negotiate it over speed breakers. The engine mount is fine. Am I looking at a hefty bill - suspension issue?
Can you describe this in a bit more detail?

Bill - hefty or otherwise - comes into the picture when the idiots can HASS can reproduce the issue first, let alone diagnose it. Even if they do all of these, they can't (won't/don't) fix it. They can only replace. Makes me wonder why they ought to be considered as mechanics in the first place.

Sorry for the rant - just got the 40k kms service done two days back and none of the three sounds I had reported (and have been reporting for the last 2-3 years) have been fixed, once again.

Regards,
spadix
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:53   #5133
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Is this creaking sound more pronounced in the morning, when you start driving? I have seen that during winter time, the suspension creaks for some time, then becomes normal after a few minutes of driving.

With the cold weather setting in, maybe that's what causes the noise. Check if it goes away after driving a few kilometers or when it becomes warmer during the day.

Rgds
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:29   #5134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rubber bushes in the front suspension have worn out. If you are really finicky about it, HASS will ask you to change the front suspension lower arms. They cannot simply replace the bushes. If under warranty, extended or otherwise, they will say rubber part / consumable, sorry not covered.

I simply left it as is - other than the creaking sound - I had no problems for several years.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:37   #5135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
The rubber bushes in the front suspension have worn out. If you are really finicky about it, HASS will ask you to change the front suspension lower arms. They cannot simply replace the bushes. If under warranty, extended or otherwise, they will say rubber part / consumable, sorry not covered. I simply left it as is - other than the creaking sound - I had no problems for several years.
This time also, like always, I specifically asked the SA if the rubber bushes had worn out, and the tone of his response was such that I had to dig deep into my reserves of self-esteem and patience to stay calm and remain unaffected, safe in the knowledge that I still knew better than him.

Regards,
spadix
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:20   #5136
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Honda has rejected my Civic's warranty claim for the steering pump and rack leakage, based on a stupid excuse that one of the service was 2 months late.

How should I take this forward? I really dont want to leave them at this.
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:14   #5137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, Honda has rejected my Civic's warranty claim for the steering pump and rack leakage, based on a stupid excuse that one of the service was 2 months late.

How should I take this forward? I really dont want to leave them at this.
Not sure but yes the warranty is void if you miss the regular service intervals and legally Honda could stick to that though illogical. You could probably try to coerce them into honoring the claim as a goodwill gesture. In my case with the mount, the HASS had manipulated the service dates before the claim.
swarooppatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:21   #5138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, Honda has rejected my Civic's warranty claim for the steering pump and rack leakage, based on a stupid excuse that one of the service was 2 months late. How should I take this forward? I really dont want to leave them at this.
If you have been servicing your car at least on the 5k km interval religiously, HASS can help you. You need someone in HASS who can bat for you, though.

This is what worked me for last year when I had to get the air mix motor replaced under warranty. Far longer story but this is the gist of it.

If you have not even been getting the car serviced every 5k kms, then you are out of luck.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 08:38   #5139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
This time also, like always, I specifically asked the SA if the rubber bushes had worn out, and the tone of his response was such that I had to dig deep into my reserves of self-esteem and patience to stay calm and remain unaffected, safe in the knowledge that I still knew better than him.

Regards,
spadix
They want me to change the front suspension. Bungling idiots. " sir suspension change kara ke dekh lo, shayad sahi ho jae". It's a very minor niggle. I'll get it fixed at ease. For now, I'll just pump up the volume
Old 4th December 2013, 14:49   #5140
BHPian

Quote:
@civic-dk

How much did the infinity components and the jbl amp cost you? I'm looking at something to boost the audio experience without burning a huge hole in my pocket.
Hi,

JBL amp (4-channel) costed Rs. 8,000 while the Infinity Components costed another Rs. 8,000. However, this was more than an year back. You will need to check on the current prices.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 01:22   #5141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

Do you sense the vibration only age the engine is cold or even after it has warmed up sufficiently? My car sometimes exhibits a slight (very slight) vibration when cold, but after a good run it's smooth. In fact there have been days out on the open road when at the end of the day, after 500+ kms, the engine noise and vibes are imperceptible at idle, just like showroom condition.

If it happens even after the engine has warmed up, you can get it checked.

Of course, there's no vibration at idle in a brand new car even when the engine is cold, so from that perspective there is something worth getting checked but HASS is so incompetent you'll just be wasting your time.

Regards,
spadix
Today i took the car out for a long drive and the problem persists. A quick recap i tried removing my air filter and banging it on floor to clean it a month back prior to which this issue was not noticed. My hunch is that this has clogged the air filter restricting air flow. I ll try to start the car tomorrow removing the air filter and see if I narrow down. Followed by more banging if necessary.

How much does a new air filter cost and what is the recommended changing interval?
Old 5th December 2013, 09:16   #5142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post

How much does a new air filter cost and what is the recommended changing interval?
Every 20000kms is the recommended interval. If your usage is at a highly dusty area may be even more frequent. Costs are approximately 800
Old 6th December 2013, 19:30   #5143
BHPian

Interesting find:

As I was plagued due to the siren/indicators acting crazy, I used to pull out fuse #12 U/S underhood fuse box

(Reference: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-e...ire-guide.html)

Today something strange happened:

I replaced the battery of the car key's transponder early morning. At evening, the security system lights were blinking to my surprise. The door lock/unlock was accompanied with 3 flashes for locking and one flash for unlocking. For the first time, I could also see the cute red LED flashing near the digital speedo. (All this time my horn fuse was disconnected).

To my surprise, the parking level was stuck. The real culprit was the fuse #12 which I forgot to put back. Only then I realised that if the brake switch is disabled, you cannot release the parking lock (with the manual shift lock rescue). After putting back the fuse, the car became normal. To my disappointment, my car security system was disabled again. I fail to understand, how it cam up on it own after an year, and it got disabled again. Removing the fuse is not helping either. I have been lazy for 2 weeks without taking it to HSS and I'm glad I could 'learn' something about the shift lock being disabled by just pulling out the horn fuse. Any one with ideas if I'm looking at loose connection/some key programming/cheat code help ?
Old 7th December 2013, 20:26   #5144
BHPian

Quote:
They want me to change the front suspension. Bungling idiots. " sir suspension change kara ke dekh lo, shayad sahi ho jae". It's a very minor niggle. I'll get it fixed at ease. For now, I'll just pump up the volume
I had a problem with my civic (6 year old Civic; bought by me in 2012; has done 28000 km till date) where it was feeling very harsh on road undulations and speed breakers. I took it to my trusted mechanic (in Hyderabad) who first diagnosed it as Shock Absorber issue. However, after opening up the suspension, he confirmed that the issue was with Lower Arm Bushes and he replaced just the bushes on both the sides at ~ Rs. 3,700. I never went to HASS with this issue as I am sure they would have asked me to replace the complete Lower Arm Assembly which would have costed me much more than what I eventually spent .

On another note, my Civic is giving a knocking / popping sound when going at speed in the range of 30 to 40 km/hr on sharp road undulations . I trawled the internet and found some potential fixes as below:

1. Replace 'anti roll bar drop link'
2. Check 'strut assembly upper rubber mount'
3. Check bump stop
4. Check 'drop links'
5. Replace rubber suspension bushes

I also have Coil Spring Assisters installed in both front and rear coils. Look forward to inputs on 'if this has been faced by any of you' and 'if there are any known fixes'.
Old 7th December 2013, 21:16   #5145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post

I had a problem with my civic (6 year old Civic; bought by me in 2012; has done 28000 km till date)....
Is it just me to find 28,000 km for a 6 year old car a bit weird ?

Did you check the genuiness of mileage while buying the car. ?
Such problems for a mildly run civic is unheard off.

Just saying..

Most Viewed