Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 16:58   #5251
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
If fully worn-out:

Brakes are checked at every 5K service since they are very important for safety.
Any idea, on whether H.A.S.S started charging an extra 500 Rs on top of the regular 900 Rs service charge? When I questioned, they told that it is added as part of brake check related waste's like liquids, brake pin lubrication etc, which need to be done as part of any regular 5k service.
Old 17th January 2014, 17:15   #5252
BHPian

Last week when i had been there i saw 3 different type of service charges.
3 months/ regular service - 900
Every 5k service -1200 or 1300
Every 20k service - 1700
Old 17th January 2014, 19:02   #5253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Any idea, on whether H.A.S.S started charging an extra 500 Rs on top of the regular 900 Rs service charge? When I questioned, they told that it is added as part of brake check related waste's like liquids, brake pin lubrication etc, which need to be done as part of any regular 5k service.
Brakes checking including lubrication and cleaning of the brake-dust is part of the standard 5K service charges.

I had stood nearby when this job is done. They lift the car, remove the tyres, open the calipers and remove the pads. They use compressed air on the pads and around the discs to blow away the dust. Then they use some lubrication and fit them back all again.

I have asked them if they will charge extra, but no.
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 23:07   #5254
BHPian

Insurance query + a sidekick query

Hi,
I just want to know that if my car's comprehensive insurance, expires, can i avail of a 3rd party insurance now and then later in a few months or a year, go for a comprehensive insurance? (I want to do this because i am short on money right now)

Side kick query would be -

My Honda Civic makes a grinding noise when i turn the steering wheel on either side on neutral, parking mode and reverse mode (when i am driving, its quite). So firstly one mechanic told me that the engine mount has broken, because of which my car vibrates on ignition and signals, when my car is still, along with the grinding noise issue.

But today, another mechanic told me that a little vibration is normal for a car which is a 1.8 engine and according to him its the axel thats causing the noise. He found the mount to be fine. So, what do you guys think about this? and if i have to change the axel (just incase), then how much would that cost me?

Please shed some light on these two queries. Pulheeseeee.

Thanks.
Old 18th January 2014, 18:57   #5255
BANNED

@frozen_Heat; Going to Act Only is no sweat, but the reversal will involve (at least) inspection of the car.
Old 19th January 2014, 22:53   #5256
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,
Due to the winter season i am driving with only the fan on in my Civic.Today i switched on the a/c for sometime and afterwards switched to fan only mode with the driver side window down a bit.I found the air flow was accompanied with a not so pleasant stench.

I drove the car for several kms with the fan switched off and switched it on again and found that the unpleasant smell had reduced.Anyone knows the probable cause of the smell and how to get rid of the same.

Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 23:34   #5257
BHPian

Try cleaning the cabin air filter compartment and keeping an air freshener there.
srsriharsha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 23:54   #5258
BHPian

Anybody had issues with vibrations on idle and steering wheel vibrating and making noises while driving? The mechanic feels the engine mount is fine. Still no solution yet.
Old 20th January 2014, 10:28   #5259
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Try cleaning the cabin air filter compartment and keeping an air freshener there.
Or better still get and Install a filter. I got a FRAM CF10132 from eBay for about Rs.2.5k with an active charcoal layer. Incidentally, the Civic and Accord can take the same filter.
Old 20th January 2014, 11:00   #5260
BHPian

Re: Insurance query + a sidekick query

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen Heat View Post
Hi,
I just want to know that if my car's comprehensive insurance, expires, can i avail of a 3rd party insurance now and then later in a few months or a year, go for a comprehensive insurance? (I want to do this because i am short on money right now)

Side kick query would be -

My Honda Civic makes a grinding noise when i turn the steering wheel on either side on neutral, parking mode and reverse mode (when i am driving, its quite). So firstly one mechanic told me that the engine mount has broken, because of which my car vibrates on ignition and signals, when my car is still, along with the grinding noise issue.

But today, another mechanic told me that a little vibration is normal for a car which is a 1.8 engine and according to him its the axel thats causing the noise. He found the mount to be fine. So, what do you guys think about this? and if i have to change the axel (just incase), then how much would that cost me?

Please shed some light on these two queries. Pulheeseeee.

Thanks.
@ Frozen Heat - Please get a quote for the insurance. If you have NCB on the existing comprehensive insurance, then it may not actually be too much of a difference in cost between the two. If you are changing the insurance and you do have NCB, ensure you get an NCB certificate so that when you change back to comprehensive insurance you dont lose this credit.

With respect to the "Side Kick Query" - I drive a civic and thankfully have never experienced the problem that you have faced. It is advisable given the nature of the problem to first get the diagnosis and the quote from Honda A.S.S and thereafter get an external quote. However, vibration is not normal for any car whether 1.8 or whatever the engine capacity. I am not an expert but if the noise if from the steering as you said and comes even if the car is not moving, it seems unlikely to be from the axle.
vanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 11:29   #5261
BHPian

Hello guys!

Last weekend, did a Mumbai-Dapoli-Mumbai trip of ~700 kms to and fro. While a major part of the journey was done on the beautifully constructed NH-17, there was this ~2 km patch of horrendously dug up road that the car had to go over, shaking and rattling throughout. Had to face this terrible road on the way back, so that makes it 4 kilometers of EXTREMELY BAD ROAD in total. Believe me, I ran a total of 2 flat tires and my alignment went off even though I only drove at < 10 kmph through this part.

Now that I'm back in the city, and wanting to send it over to get the alignment checked and set this afternoon, is there anything else that I should look out for?

The rest of the drive was delightful, however, I still have a lump in my heart about this ridiculously bad part of the journey. So, my question is, what all checks do I need to get done as far as the wheels of the car are concerned?

Any recommendations about good wheel alignment centers in Mumbai around Kurla-Chembur-Sion-Ghatkopar area are welcome!

Thank you!
Old 20th January 2014, 12:57   #5262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
I still have a lump in my heart about this ridiculously bad part of the journey
I have had lots of similar experiences when my Civic was new.
I had gone over huge pot-holes at high speeds and spent sleepless nights over it!
I had a lot of heart-wrenching under-belly scrapes/thuds over huge speed-breakers.

But the Civic is very well made so that I never had any damages so far.
I think you need to check only the alignment.
manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 14:48   #5263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
But the Civic is very well made so that I never had any damages so far.
I think you need to check only the alignment.
That's great! Thank you for the quick reply and the aid in relief!
Old 20th January 2014, 16:09   #5264
BHPian

Re: Insurance query + a sidekick query

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
@ Frozen Heat - Please get a quote for the insurance.
=================I am not an expert but if the noise if from the steering as you said and comes even if the car is not moving, it seems unlikely to be from the axle.
I got the comprehensive insurance renewed today. Expecting the insurance guys to come and survey my car. Paid 12,450/- for this year. So i guess my car will be covered in case of accidents.

I also changed the l.h.s mount, today, and i cannot believe what a world of difference it made to my car. My car does not vibrate at all. Its hard to even say if the car is running or not. Superb feel. Very happy. Hope the other one doesn't break
Old 20th January 2014, 22:53   #5265
BHPian

I had my civic left side mirror badly scratched by a very patient volvo driver in high rush traffic. Half of the mirror was completely scratched.

I was going to dakshin honda to check what can be done, when I saw right before the singasandra service station there was a body shop, in which a white civic was being done full body work.

I stopped and showed it to the gentleman "Naveed". He fixed it in 10 minutes in a very nice way. He asked me to pay what I deemed fit, and I gave the chap 300 Rs. out of sheer goodwill.

I forgot to click the pics with the damage, but can post pics of how it looks now.

I am sure HASS would have charged me 1000 bucks atleast and held my vehicle for a day or two.

He was with Skoda body shop for 10 years it seems, and now has started on his own. I thoroughly inspected that civic being worked on and was satisfied with the welding etc.

If any of you in bangalore want to approach him, you can call him on "Naveed : 9880465630" . I think his charges will be reasonable as well.

Last edited by sammycoolster : 20th January 2014 at 22:54. Reason: Addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks