Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 11:54   #5221
BANNED

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@devsoftech; How difficult was the fitting; esp Audio remote and the link please?
Old 8th January 2014, 12:27   #5222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@devsoftech; How difficult was the fitting; esp Audio remote and the link please?
Sir, I have not started with the audio control and cruise integration. Since the audio system control is wired at the rear, its just a wiring swap to enable it at steering. Trust me, I'm more than eager to finish this setup and I will have some inputs for you. I have dismantled the entire MICU wiring (Which started with the alarm system failure) and I am confident of fixing all these and have the audio controls and cruise wired.

By links I'm referring to these threads:
http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/d-i-...reborn-8th-gen
and,
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-e...-controls.html
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 14:44   #5223
Senior - BHPian

I will be waiting eagerly for the update devsoftech.
Wishing you all the very best
Old 8th January 2014, 16:24   #5224

devsoftech, I would say that this is a dream project for all of us 8th generation Civic owners. I wish you success and eagerly await your report.

======
Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Sir, I have not started with the audio control and cruise integration. Since the audio system control is wired at the rear, its just a wiring swap to enable it at steering. Trust me, I'm more than eager to finish this setup and I will have some inputs for you. I have dismantled the entire MICU wiring (Which started with the alarm system failure) and I am confident of fixing all these and have the audio controls and cruise wired.

By links I'm referring to these threads:
http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/d-i-...reborn-8th-gen
and,
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-e...-controls.html
Old 8th January 2014, 19:20   #5225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Now that I have completed 3000KMs with the new pads, Initial 1000KMS in city driving and the rest 2000KM on highways, at some good speeds and related braking needs, with drives of 700+ KMs in a stretch, twice, the results can be shared. These conditions have taken the tests on the pads as required in almost all possible scenarios that the pads are supposed to work.

The results are positive, and I see no major differences between the OEM pads and the ones I experimented as on date.

But there are a few observations

1. During Installation, the pads locking edges had to be filed a little for easy sliding for the pads placement
2. The discs are slightly hotter than before, attribute that to the ceramic compound and more friction considering the OEM pads were metallic type.
3. The wear of the pads seems at this point similar to the OEM pads, but a lot of brake dust is generated pointing that the pads are wearing more in relation to the discs.

About the pads,

The pads were made by a company called TNG. Had read some reviews with mixed opinions before installation. So idea was to experiment in city before concluding that they could be used in high speed drives on the highways. The city experiments for 1000Kms over a span of 1 month gave me enough confidence to take it to highway drives.

The front pads MRP was Rs 1050, finally obtained for Rs 900.

I am happy with the performance till now. The pad change was a complete DIY.
Thanks for the vote of confidence . It gives me the confidence of considering TNG Brake Pads when the brake pads in my Civic become due for replacement.

On another note, saw these TNG Brake Pads for Civic for both front and rear brakes listed in eBay (India) for Rs. 1050 each.
civic-dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 02:37   #5226
BHPian

All the best for your DIY. Please take as many pictures as possible so others can also follow your steps easily.
Old 9th January 2014, 06:06   #5227
BHPian

Need some advise from civic owners. I am about to pick an AT 2008 civic. I am trying to make a list of common problems which the civic has so that I can focus on those before closing the deal. Any help would be much appretiated.
Old 9th January 2014, 13:00   #5228
BHPian

Quote:
.. I need help with installing the RHS outside rear view mirror, any pointers will be welcome - need to slip in the glass....

Attachment 1188145
Was able to fix the mirror by myself. Some of you might be knowing that I got a copy of CIVIC service manual. Followed the instructions and replaced. Simplifying the documentation below, pushed the top of the glass inside, slipped a screwdriver from bottom and the glass came off without any issues. While putting new glass, it has a hook which slides in a crevice, and the lower part clicks-in to lock to the assembly. Morever, there is adhesive sticker too at the back of the glass.

Also, sharing the pics of MICU disintegration. Will have some updates on Saturday now.

From the service manual
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-mirror_manual.png

"Foreign" Mirror
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_7433_am_mirror.jpg

Dashboard opened for access
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_7435_dashboard_opened.jpg

MICU - all exposed
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_7436_micu_opened.jpg

Micu Wires
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_7437_micu_wires.jpg

Pinouts to MICU
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_7439_pinout_to_micu.jpg
devsoftech is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 13:58   #5229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
...a list of common problems which the civic ...
Already listed elsewhere on this very same thread, I guess. Please search for more details.

Main issues that I am aware of...

1. Engine mount
2. Power steering leak/rack issue
Old 9th January 2014, 20:11   #5230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Already listed elsewhere on this very same thread, I guess. Please search for more details.

Main issues that I am aware of...

1. Engine mount
2. Power steering leak/rack issue
I've read through the thread and these were the main issues. Some one was posting about the D blinking issue or something like that. Couldn't get that. Can some one shed more light on this issue?

Approximately How often does an automatics civic need a clutch replacement and how much would one cost?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10th January 2014, 01:06   #5231
BHPian

Quote:
Approximately How often does an automatics civic need a clutch replacement and how much would one cost?
As I know it, AT's does not need clutch replacement or similar kind of work.

My AT will become 7 years old this May and done 1,31,000 kms, and I have had no problem with the transmission so far.
Old 10th January 2014, 01:11   #5232
BHPian

Quote:
I've read through the thread and these were the main issues. Some one was posting about the D blinking issue or something like that. Couldn't get that. Can some one shed more light on this issue?

Thanks for the help.
These are comprehensive DTC codes that can be reasons for 'D' lights blinking in an AT:
FAILURE CODES (Mechanical): P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P0746, P0747, P0751, P0752, P0756, P0757, P0761, P0762, P0766, P0767, P0776, P0777, P0796, P0797, P1746, P1747, P1780, P2122, P2123, U0028, U0121
Electrical Failures (Not mechanical): P0705, P0706, P0711, P0712, P0713, P0716, P0717, P0718, P0721, P0722, P0723, P0812, P0842, P0843, P0847, P0848, P0962, P0963, P0966, P0967, P0970, P0971, P0973, P0974, P0976, P0977, P0979, P0980, P0982, P0983, P1717
FAILURES THAT WILL TRIGGER MIL ON: P0107, P0108, P0335, P0339, P0365, P0369, P0603, U0155

You can search on the web for elaborate description on each DTC code.
General reasons/Components Involved : Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, Crankshaft position sensor, Camshaft Position sensor, PCM internal control module, ATF temperature sensor, Transmission range switch circuit, Input shaft speed sensor circuit, Output shaft sensor circuit, Nth (N=1 to 5) clutch, Nth clutch hydraulic circuit, Torque converter clutch hydraulic circuit, A/T clutch pressure control solenoid Valve [A,B,C], Shift solenoid valve [A,B,C,D], Nth Clutch transmission fluid pressure switch circuit, PCM A/T control system incomplete update, Shift control system, Accelerator pedal position, F-CAN malfunction

Usually combination of these systems fail and HSS will recommend full transmission rebuild - call it lack of confidence or unwillingness to pin-point to real failure. That will also include cost of new gaskets and a substantial labour charge (at par with engine rebuild costs).
A/T does not have a clutch per se, the torque converter is your friend here. There are however total of 52 small clutch discs (They are platter of clutch discs) used by the fixed 5+1 gears. These usually last for 60k - worst case like mine - I got it changed early so that I can defer my transmission reworking in future just to change the discs - besides they had burnt out to an extent that it made sense for my case (so real world, its much more) - priced at 380 per disc.

Last edited by devsoftech : 10th January 2014 at 01:13.
Old 10th January 2014, 08:09   #5233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are comprehensive DTC codes
Hey! Impressive.
Where did you get those details from. Does your service manual which you mentioned that you have has all these?
Old 10th January 2014, 08:16   #5234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hey! Impressive.
Where did you get those details from. Does your service manual which you mentioned that you have has all these?
Yes chief, its was all listed in the service manual. I have just tabulated them. The manual (PDF) has password protection that disables copying to clipboard.

I also found a version of service manual hosted online here - http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/ (except that images do not show up EDIT: Shows fine on chrome browser)
Do give it a visit. Since it is hosted online in public domain, I think it is not plagiarism by that site, so it should be perfectly okay for me to share the link here.

Last edited by devsoftech : 10th January 2014 at 08:24.
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 08:24   #5235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes chief, its was all listed in the service manual. I have just tabulated them. The manual (PDF) has password protection that disables copying to clipboard.
Where did you pick this manual from? Costs?
I had a similar set downloaded previously from some dubious sites

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks