Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 08:58   #4996
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Best Practices to Maintain a Stock Civic

Based on my usage/ownership of a stock Civic and my 8 years experience with HASS, these are some of the best practices I thought of writing down:
  1. To keep the equipment in excellent condition, do a General Check-up once in three months
  2. Clearly know what parts can be bought outside the HASS (e.g., battery, tyres) and what cannot be
  3. Be aware what Honda manufactures itself for the Civic, and what it outsources
  4. Maintain your tyres (alignment, rotation, balancing) OUTSIDE the HASS in a well-established shop
  5. Do a tyre rotation once in 5000 kms; occasionally lubricate the glass-window lifting mechanism at the HASS
  6. Be aware that folks at the HASS WILL cross-sell / up-sell products to you, when you go there - be prepared to say no
  7. Be aware of cosmetic additions vs. safety essentials
  8. Do NOT agree to what the HASS folks say, without consulting this forum and gaining from the experience of Civic gurus here
  9. If the HASS says that a certain part needs to be changed, you must ask them "Will it last for one more week ?" - then consult this forum, before agreeing to what the HASS suggest
  10. Good to have a 24x7 onroad maintenance back-up

Let me know if I have missed something. Please feel free to add / delete / modify.
Tempelhof is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 12:26   #4997
Senior - BHPian

Guys, after how many months I should change the synthetic oil ?

My Civic has run only 3600 kms in last 9 months after I changed Synthetic Oil (70k service with synth Oil change at 72400 kms on 17/Jan, current reading is 76000 kms approx).

I am planning to visit HASS next week for general checkup. If it is must to change synthetic oil after 12 months even if the car has run 4-5k kms, I will postpone my visit for a couple of months, so that oil can be changed in the same visit.
Old 30th October 2013, 13:23   #4998
BANNED

@mukeshgoel; I will say 15 months max. I am sure some will opt for 18 or even 24 months. Oil ages even when the car is not driven.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 13:47   #4999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@mukeshgoel; I will say 15 months max. I am sure some will opt for 18 or even 24 months. Oil ages even when the car is not driven.
So, this means that I can continue with this oil till April'2014. Right?

Then I can visit the HASS next week for general checkup.
Old 30th October 2013, 15:19   #5000
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my Nov 2010 Civic has the dreaded steering pump and rack leakage along with the engine mount issue.

Honda A.S.S. is refusing to do it under warranty. My car has extended warranty.

When this is a known issue with many Civics, shouldn't this be covered in warranty? Whom should I contact in Honda?
Old 30th October 2013, 15:31   #5001
BHPian

My Civic is up for its 35K service. Any pointers? My understanding is that its just a minor service and nothing substantial needs to be done at this service.
Old 30th October 2013, 16:46   #5002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, my Nov 2010 Civic has the dreaded steering pump and rack leakage along with the engine mount issue.

Honda A.S.S. is refusing to do it under warranty. My car has extended warranty.

When this is a known issue with many Civics, shouldn't this be covered in warranty? Whom should I contact in Honda?
If possible, collect data of owners who have had this same problem regarding steering rack premature leakages or similar issues. Then contact Honda Customer car. Ensure all communication is well documented in emails.

Visit a Honda dealer in person and ask the showroom manager for the area manager and get his co-ordinates. Talk to him and get this covered under warranty.

The mount should definately be covered in warranty. It is more than a known thing. For this you should not even have to fight.
Old 30th October 2013, 18:29   #5003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
If possible, collect data of owners who have had this same problem regarding steering rack premature leakages or similar issues. Then contact Honda Customer car. Ensure all communication is well documented in emails.

Visit a Honda dealer in person and ask the showroom manager for the area manager and get his co-ordinates. Talk to him and get this covered under warranty.

The mount should definately be covered in warranty. It is more than a known thing. For this you should not even have to fight.
My civic had just suffered a leakage in the steering rack, AGAIN. The last time this happened, the problem was a faulty hose which was replaced by Honda without charges. Now the car has run about 82k kms. This time, the leakage was from the pump itself. Honda had diagnosed the problem and told the only option is to replace the unit, but they didn't have stock and told me it would take 2-3weeks. The steering was very heavy and felt like I was steering a lorry. Took the car to Ignite (one of the best multi-car service station in Chennai) and they told me that this can be refurbished and would take 3-4 days and cost around 15k. Got the car back today and the problem seems to be solved. I have mailed Honda regarding this issue and will update you guys on the reply.
Old 30th October 2013, 18:30   #5004
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
My Civic is up for its 35K service. Any pointers? My understanding is that its just a minor service and nothing substantial needs to be done at this service.
All xxxx5k services are minor, essentially checks. In fact after the initial 3 month service I have skipped all.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 00:01   #5005
BHPian

Sir, isn't it comfortable to just go by the Kilometers on the ODO only and not the time period. I just get my Civic serviced at every 10k kms without worrying much about the duration between 2 consecutive services. This ways all services are major services. Isn't the 5k service purely a money making gimmick of Car brands?
Old 31st October 2013, 08:23   #5006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post

I have sent a mail to Honda customer care in which I have also attached a link to this thread to show that the PS pump and rack leakage is not a one off case.

I am waiting for their reply now.
Old 31st October 2013, 14:58   #5007
BHPian

Hi guys.

On the topic of the pollen filter, i just had one installed at my service last week. It cost INR 4,478 /-

As mentioned here earlier, the tray was present but had no filter installed. Mine is a 2006 Civic too. Kanjus Honda !

I also had the 3M A/C disinfecting treatment done as i was just beginning to get a slightly musty smell sometimes when starting up the A/C. It cost approx. INR 1,600 /- and seems to have solved the problem.
So my car's all clean and fresh again . Yippiee
Old 31st October 2013, 15:25   #5008
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hi guys.

On the topic of the pollen filter, i just had one installed at my service last week. It cost INR 4,478 /-

As mentioned here earlier, the tray was present but had no filter installed. Mine is a 2006 Civic too. Kanjus Honda !
I will get mine in end November when I go for the three and a half year service.
Old 31st October 2013, 16:01   #5009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hi guys.

:
INR 4478!!!. That's wayyy too much.
I pick one up whenever i am in the US. Costs around 10-15 USD, lasts 6-12 months in Delhi NCR, where dust is very high. I guess it will be cheaper even with international shipping with Amazon.
Old 31st October 2013, 16:16   #5010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
INR 4478!!!. That's wayyy too much.
I pick one up whenever i am in the US. Costs around 10-15 USD, lasts 6-12 months in Delhi NCR, where dust is very high. I guess it will be cheaper even with international shipping with Amazon.
Can you please let us know the brand or the part number ? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks