Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2013, 08:31   #4966
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Update: Got the mechanics to inspect the clutch assembly. It turns out, the clutch is in good shape. The clutch pedal is getting stuck when you press it, in the mornings. I have to manually pull it up. After around half an hour of driving, it corrects itself. Could this be a problem with the slave or master cylinder?
Old 27th October 2013, 12:48   #4967
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

disaster struck my Honda,again, this time it was the fuel pipe which was gnawed at by a rodent.Most people have rodent problems under the hood.My car was intruded from below the seat close to the location of the fuel filter where the pipe comes from the filter and leads to the engine.

Below are some pics
The pipe was chewed at this location under the seat. The rear bench and upper seat had to be removed along with the casing covering the fuel strainer.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0041.jpg

If you see carefully you can make out debris & leftovers from whatever the rats were eating.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0042.jpg

You can't really make out clearly but the pipe was chewed just a little above the metal joint.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0043.jpg

The workshop i went to (WagenWorkz, Jatin Patel) tried to repair the pipe as a temp measure.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0044.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0047.jpg

However once the pipe was fitted back into the filter and the car was started it spilled petrol again.

Jatin recommend that the entire assembly be changed since it is a very critical component and it was better to be safe.A new pipe was ordered and the entire assembly had to be removed. The pipe is such that it's a single piece and it was my plain bad luck that it was chewed at.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0049.gif

The total damage, 4800 for the original Honda Pipe, 2000 bucks labor and 600 bucks for towing the car to the garage. 7400 just for a small gash on the rubber pipe.It was just not my day.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th October 2013 at 05:23. Reason: Edited as requested.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 13:02   #4968
Senior - BHPian

Changing the battery of Civic's Key Fob

For sometime now I found the key to be erratic in locking and unlocking. I needed to do it twice/thrice to get it locked/unlocked. Its been six years and probably the battery could have lost its charge given my frequency of Car usage.

Decided to get it changed, a simple DIY of 5 minutes and costs Rs 50 for the Cell. The Cell is CR1616, and available at Rs 50 from your local watch repair shops, and also on ebay if you don't want to walk around to find a watch shop

Tools required - a 2mm precision screwdriver.

That's my Civvy's key - tired and worn out after the heavy usage
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0401.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0403.jpg

That's the screw which keeps all intact
, you need a precision 2mm screwdriver to unscrew
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0402.jpg

The key fob opened
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0404edit.jpg

You can pull out the small electronic unit from the fob cover
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0405edit.jpg

The other side of the electronic unit

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0406.jpg

The back cover of the electronic unit is attached with a locking mechanism, it is easy to open it out
, the cell is already visible
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0407edit.jpg

Just pull out the cell
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0408edit.jpg

The Cell is CR1616

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0409.jpg

Get a new cell, put in there and reverse the process
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0746.jpg

I went with this fellow
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0745.jpg

Many makes are available at various price points. This fellow was quoted at Rs 85, finally obtained at Rs 50 from a local watch repair shop.
laluks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 16:14   #4969
BHPian

Hi,
I was evaluating a used civic 2008 52K run AT for a friend.
We found the idling of a the car a little high during the test drive.
meaning the car was revving a little more than a manual car.
We are new to automatic cars, little experience driving them
Would be a major concern or should we go ahead?

Kindly suggest

TIA
Old 27th October 2013, 16:42   #4970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi,
I was evaluating a used civic 2008 52K run AT for a friend.
We found the idling of a the car a little high during the test drive.
meaning the car was revving a little more than a manual car.
We are new to automatic cars, little experience driving them
Would be a major concern or should we go ahead?

Kindly suggest

TIA
The Civic AT idling speed is controlled electronically, it slows down as the engine gets heated up.

Should not be a concern unless the control unit becomes faulty (highly unlikely)
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 19:02   #4971
BHPian

Re: Changing the battery of Civic's Key Fob

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The Cell is CR1616

Tools required - a 2mm precision screwdriver.
Thanks!

Though I never had any problems with mine, tried it out.
Will replace it soon as a preventive measure since my car is now 6.5 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_4313.jpg  

manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 10:58   #4972
BHPian

Is this normal for a 55K Servicing?

Sent my car for the regular 55K servicing - actually it has run 55,650 kms till this morning.

The service engineer from HASS (Whitefield, Bangalore) called me and told me that the following needs replacement:
  1. Clutch + Cylinder = Rs. 22,000
  2. Lower Suspension = Rs. 7500
  3. Battery = Don't Know the price yet
  4. Windscreen wiper rubber

I've asked him to go ahead. But just wanted to know you folks if this is normal for a 2008 MT Civic or if I'm being taken for a ride in my Civic

My driving profile is as follows: 80% city driving clocking about 8kms per day; for the remaining 20% it is on highways with pretty high speeds and occasional braking.

During the 50K servicing, I was told that the clutch might need some serious "inspection" the next time; and the battery was changed about three years ago.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 28th October 2013, 10:59   #4973
BHPian

Re: Changing the battery of Civic's Key Fob

Quote:
For sometime now I found the key to be erratic in locking and unlocking. I needed to do it twice/thrice to get it locked/unlocked. Its been six years and probably the battery could have lost its charge given my frequency of Car usage.
I had the same issue (after 3 years) and googled and had found that simple cleaning of the rubber parts inside the key brings it back to life. Give it a try before you change the battery..
Old 28th October 2013, 12:29   #4974
BHPian

Here is an update on my 2006 1.8 S MT's supposed throttle body problem:

The car:
Pre-worshipped. Bought 2.5 years back at 39k kms, right now at 72k kms. Fitted BMC cold air intake and Free flow exhaust from day 1 of purchase. No major problem occurred in 2.5 years of ownership.

Problem:
Yellow light on the dash. Rev's not going past 2.5k in any gear.

Diagnosis:
HASS 1 at Gurgaon: Throttle body needs to be changed. Price quoted 45k. This is the same HASS I got my car serviced few days back, in which they did clean the throttle body and also scanned some fault codes in the ECM and did something with it (Not sure what they call it). After 10 days, this problem developed. The HASS says its regular wear and tear of throttle body. Opted for a second opinion.

A private, competent workshop at Gurgaon: Very genuine person (owner of the workshop) told throttle body needs to be changed including the sensor which is attached to it. Quoted about 32k for it. He said its an electronic failure not a regular wear and tear. Replaced the throttle body, but the ECM yellow light was still flashing. Next, he told ECM needs to be reconfigured. Sent the ECM twice for repairs, but no luck, same problem. Then, he advised to change the ECM at Rs. 60k which was beyond my budget. It is another story that whole of this process took about 12 days. Took my car back by paying very nominal labor charges.

HASS 2 at Noida: Contacted a senior person in office. He referred me to this HASS at Noida for a detailed diagnosis. The service manager worked on assumptions listed below:
- Throttle body needs to be replaced.
- The intake manifold needs to be replaced.
- Car should be reverted to stock condition by replacing the BMC intake with stock air filter assembly and the FFE to the stock exhaust with cat con.
- This HASS insisted that the Air intake and FFE 'might have' lead to the failure of throttle body and intake manifold, and the associated sensors 'might have' failed as well.
- They insisted that Honda's 'Japanese' tech has perfect layouts of air filter and exhaust mechanism and must not be tampered with. They also said they will only give warranty on repairs, once the system is restored to stock condition.! They said its a mechanical + electronic failure.

- I told them that the car is running absolutely fine during the first 10 minutes in the morning without any 'yellow light' on dashboard. Post warm up, the rpms get stuck at 2.5 k and do not go beyond. To which they have no answers.
- It seemed more of a trial and error approach. Am not convinced.
- They didn't bothered to check the fault codes as well telling some alien logic about how futile it is to check the fault codes at this stage,

Need help from civic gurus out here about the possible solution.
Can someone refer me to a competent garage who can bail me out of the situation? (In Delhi-NCR).

I can't see myself running civic in stock condition. I enjoyed every single second of driving with the FFE and Air intake and planned to go the turbo way 1 year down the line.

Request urgent help from Delhi ncr members.
Old 28th October 2013, 14:08   #4975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post

The service engineer from HASS (Whitefield, Bangalore) called me and told me that the following needs replacement:
The price for clutch and cylinder is reasonable considering its HASS rates. Elsewhere in this same thread you'll find tbhp-ians have procured parts from outside at less than half the price of HASS. Also clutch replacement for Civic, is carried out after 80K-100K in case of normal driving styles.

This advice from HASS is part of proactive maintenance, and possibly could hold on to next 5K interval. If you feel that there is something wrong with clutch functioning as such or sense of vehicle not 'moving as earlier' in hi-revs, then yes, you could think of the work.
Safeer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 14:19   #4976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post

::::
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The price for clutch and cylinder is reasonable considering its HASS rates. Elsewhere in this same thread you'll find tbhp-ians have procured parts from outside, at much less than half the price quoted by HASS. Also clutch replacement for Civic, is carried out after 80K-100K in case of normal driving styles.

This advice from HASS is part of proactive maintenance, and possibly you could hold on to next 5K interval. If you feel that there is something wrong with clutch functioning as such or sense of vehicle not 'moving as earlier' in hi-revs, then yes, you could think of the work.
Old 28th October 2013, 17:08   #4977
Senior - BHPian

update: Finally got my problem solved. Got the clutch master cylinder replaced at khan automobiles, sector 16, auto market, noida. Decent fellow. Need to bargain a bit but good workmanship.

Paid Rs 3300 for the master cylinder.

Now my pedal issue and squeaks are gone. Honda A.S.S wanted to change the clutch kit for 30k!
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 17:11   #4978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
update: Finally got my problem solved. Got the clutch master cylinder replaced at khan automobiles, sector 16, auto market, noida. Decent fellow. Need to bargain a bit but good workmanship.

Paid Rs 3300 for the master cylinder.

Now my pedal issue and squeaks are gone. Honda A.S.S wanted to change the clutch kit for 30k!

Any pictures, any details of the cylinder make etc?
Old 28th October 2013, 17:21   #4979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any pictures, any details of the cylinder make etc?
I'm afraid I wasn't present at the time of installation. But I got them to source it from Sparemart, kashmere Gate due to the part being unavailable in noida. Sparemart is a trusted name in this part of the country. Have got a proper bill from the workshop for the repair done. So I'm hoping it'll hold good. So almost clocked 82k and still on the original clutch. Feels good.

Offtopic: I'd read that Honda sold 75k civics till date. Assuming 55k odd are still in use, will parts availability be an issue, say in a couple of years?
Old 28th October 2013, 21:12   #4980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Offtopic: I'd read that Honda sold 75k civics till date. Assuming 55k odd are still in use, will parts availability be an issue, say in a couple of years?
As like any other, Civic also 'might' face a parts availability issue. But given Honda's track record, it will be safe to assume that this is gonna happen, in maybe next 8-10 years or so, rather than couple of years.
To cite a real world example, we wouldn't be seeing the City Vtechs running around so happily now, if this wasn't the case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks