Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 20:06   #4246

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I just dropped my 2007 Automatic Civic.. For service at Dakshin Honda Bangalore..My car is 20000 Kms Run.Had to replace both front discs and pads.(Had skimmed once already and were completely worn out)and the tail light at drivers side is broken a little bit..(only the part attached to the body on the right ..not the part which opens with the boot)
Service adviser Praveen has quoted 7500Rs to change just that.Brake pads and the disc would be around 10000 per wheel..have asked to put synthetic oil.. and that's around 3000..So finally a whooping estimate of around 30000.
Just need a little bit of re assurance from experts in the forum..
Thank you
Old 4th April 2013, 21:26   #4247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratheeshba View Post
I just dropped my 2007 Automatic Civic.. For service at Dakshin Honda Bangalore..My car is 20000 Kms Run.Had to replace both front discs and pads.(Had skimmed once already and were completely worn out)and the tail light at drivers side is broken a little bit..(only the part attached to the body on the right ..not the part which opens with the boot)
Service adviser Praveen has quoted 7500Rs to change just that.Brake pads and the disc would be around 10000 per wheel..have asked to put synthetic oil.. and that's around 3000..So finally a whooping estimate of around 30000.
Just need a little bit of re assurance from experts in the forum..
Thank you
I am no expert but It's always advisable to get a second opinion if the cost is on the higher side.Try looking up team bhp directories and find a reputed independant garage who would do the same job for a fraction of the cost and would not compromise on the quality of parts used.
Old 5th April 2013, 01:53   #4248
BHPian

Quote:
My car is 20000 Kms Run.Had to replace both front discs and pads.
How come front-disc and pads wore out at 20K kms?
(Mine was replaced after 75,000 kms).
Old 5th April 2013, 07:16   #4249
BHPian

Quote:
My car is 20000 Kms Run.Had to replace both front discs and pads.(Had skimmed once already and were completely worn out)and the tail light at drivers side is broken a little bit..(only the part attached to the body on the right ..not the part which opens with the boot) Service adviser Praveen has quoted 7500Rs to change just that.Brake pads and the disc would be around 10000 per wheel..have asked to put synthetic oil.. and that's around 3000..So finally a whooping estimate of around 30000.
Price including 14.5% VAT
DISK FRONT BRAKE(15) PART NO 45251S7AE10 (x2) = 6192.14
SET PAD FR 45022SNB000 (x1 - this is a pair) = 6616.03
Synthetic oil is 3000
Tail light - A pair costs around 18000
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
+1 sir, its too early for him. Unless you have been pouring water on the wheels also everyday for washing, driven on sandy roads or driven with extremely worn out brake pads. Can't fail to laugh, is dakshin honda on a disk swap spree. Did you really notice the warp/lack of uniformity on the discs ? Did the service advisor say that if you do not change the discs, it will fade the brake pads faster ( I was given that logic, but mine was old). He might be taking you for a ride. Hopefully they have not yet swapped the discs and you might have a chance to review before you put down that money for unnecessary replacement.
Old 5th April 2013, 10:08   #4250
BANNED

Quote:
Possible in an AT with almost all local Start-Stop stuff, since there is no engine braking. But looks unlikely. Could also be a binding brake, given the extremely low usage.
Old 5th April 2013, 10:20   #4251

I bought this car from a freind of mine and he had driven 12000 kms... when I bought it the brakes were a bit weak... then after a few 100 kms in the city I drove to kerala.. by then the brakes had gone really weak.. so I got it checked at cosmic honda and they skimmed the discs for me and said pads were alright.. then I drove almost 7-8 thousand kms.. twice kerala.. mookambika.. goa etc and again now ie a month back felt weak breaks again..dint have time to get it checked and finally for the last one week the metal was scraping on to the discs..when I reached dakshin honda the SA Showed me the ripples created on my front discs ..
And yes this guy who washes my car does pour wqter on the wheels daily..
I have a 17inch lenso wheels .. does that contribute..
Old 5th April 2013, 10:40   #4252
Senior - BHPian

Yes, IMO all that contributes. It also does appear that your friend is a very aggressive driver to have worn out the brakes in just 12k km. Mine were going fine at 30k km as the AT of the civic is very good and generally allows engine braking. Local stop start may not contribute very much since speeds are not high, but again aggressive stopping will for sure dent your brake life hugely. I would not skimp on brakes and try to save a few bucks, unless you are very sure of your local garage and parts.

What about the rear brakes?

Quote:
An AT? Unless your usage is long highway runs, that seems quite impossible to me. I drive reasonably gently and at 30k km, my brakes would last at best 5k km more.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 5th April 2013 at 10:43.
Old 5th April 2013, 10:52   #4253

Rear brakes are fine, the SA said it will run fir another 5000. So I am sure it will go 15 more.

Yes same feeling here, did not want to compromise on the brakes, but getting ripped is bir a good feeling:-(
Old 5th April 2013, 10:55   #4254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
An AT? Unless your usage is long highway runs, that seems quite impossible to me. I drive reasonably gently and at 30k km, my brakes would last at best 5k km more.
My car has got new pads every 25K.

I guess you can minimize wear by shifting to N when you are waiting at signals. In D, the cars drifts, so you apply brakes to keep it stationary, and that should wear your brake pads. I might be wrong, though.
Old 5th April 2013, 11:24   #4255
Senior - BHPian

In my view there would be no wear on the pads (or any difference in FE) if kept stationary in 'D' using the brakes. Though I often shift to 'N' and use the handbrake for longer signal stops (it is a pain using your foot on the brakes - therefore an autohold function is built into most high end cars), I have not seen any higher pad wear or FE change doing so.

If the brake is applied and car is stationary in 'D' mode the car cannot drift as the torque converter disengages the transmission. See if there is any difference in idle RPM with the lever in 'D' with brakes pressed at standstill or in 'N" with the handbrake. I found none.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:28   #4256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Could also be a binding brake, given the extremely low usage.
Yes, this happens to me if I park the car for a very long time, say 10+ days.
When I try to move there is a thud, thud noise. Seems that the brakes stick to the discs, thereby wear-out may be faster.
(Does the hand-brake use the front or rear brakes, I don't know)

So nowadays when I park for a long time, I do not use the hand-brake but just lock the wheels in 'P'. However I read somewhere that the gear cogs will wear out if 'P' is used on slopes w/o the hand brake?

Quote:
Yes this needs an explanation: The car is used mostly on 4-lane highways and I 'hypermile', At every 5K service I personally visually inspect the pads when they are removed for cleaning.

More details are available on this very thread in my earlier posts (All my services from 40K to 125K).

Last edited by manim : 5th April 2013 at 13:30.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:36   #4257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However I read somewhere that the gear cogs will wear out if 'P' is used on slopes w/o the hand brake?
Not the gear cogs. The 'P' position is achieved with a 'pin' that locks the transmission in place. It is always advised (also in the manual) that one should first pull the handbrake and then only put the transmission in 'P'. So I always follow this process: After coming to a parking halt, put the lever in N, then pull the handbrake and then slot it into P.

This avoids the entire car resting on the transmission pin which can then sometimes get jammed resulting in the position not coming out of P. Then you need to use a screwdriver in that slot ahead of the lever to try and free the jammed pin manually.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 15:43   #4258
BANNED

@manim; The hand brake applies to the rear brakes.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 17:12   #4259
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is an AT too with Stock Brake pads still in Great condition as per SA.Still using Stock Discs as well which were Skimmed at 60000 Km.Current mileage is 61250 km.If you are Gentle on Brakes,Brake Pad Life mentioned by manim (75000 km) is possible to achieve.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 05:53   #4260

Got the car delivered yesterday... bill came up to 29000.. the discs has ripples on it..and the brakepads were gone totally..
Considering that such a heavy bill was only because of change of discs pads and a tail light..and the oil..otherwise very little svc cost..
The car feels like heaven. .
Good job done..
Now I want the bumpers with skirtings repainted..there are lots of scratches and the skirtings looks like its coming off..
Couple of clips of both the bumpers are broken..
Approached 2 garages.. one said he will remove all the skirtings bumpers spoiler etc and repaint the whole stuff.. he has quoted approx 20k for the whole job..my concerns here are whst if those skirts break when he removes them. .and then I feel cost is on a higher side..
Second garage guy said he will do touch up with putty and is charging 5000.. he said he has a dupont paint mixing unit and will deliver the exact colour. .to me this guy sounds reasonable..
Pl comment. .
And also broken bumper clips.. is there a way to fix em back..showroom obviously said no..
Was even thinking of stickering the roof of the car black..and the lipspoiler in carbon fibre black..is it gonna look good..?
How is carnation marathalli for paint works..
Pls suggest a good place near banaswadi..horamavu ..kamnahalli area for my bumper works..
Thank you all..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks