Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:17   #2896
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
As is clearly visible in the photos posted below, the OEM alloys have developed some discoloration on their five ribs. The alloys look as if their ribs are chrome plated and not painted/treated. What is the solution. Can I request all folks who have 2007 Civics to kindly comment on the status of their alloys.
Here is a photo of mine, 2007 model and after 1 lakh kms.
It appears better than yours?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_5380.jpg  

manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:38   #2897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Here is a photo of mine, 2007 model and after 1 lakh kms.
It appears better than yours?
Much better indeed.

Your ribs have hardly any discolouration. And how do you manage to remove the obnoxious brake dust so well? Can you please suggest some home remedy.
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:39   #2898
BANNED

I will only suggest if you clean the alloy wheels chemically / mechanically try and put a coat of clear lacquer on it afterwards.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:04   #2899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
how do you manage to remove the obnoxious brake dust so well? Can you please suggest some home remedy.
I use the Bosch-Aquatak pressure-washer on them after long drives.
I hold the nozzle very close to the alloys for high-pressure and they do a good job.

(you can get more details from the pressure-washer thread).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-pressure.html
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:58   #2900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will only suggest if you clean the alloy wheels chemically / mechanically try and put a coat of clear lacquer on it afterwards.
Hello Professor,

I will clean them somehow. I want to ask you about laquering. Can you throw some light on its method.
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:24   #2901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
My civiv, steering wheel leather has worn out.I was informed by Karlsson leather that it can be done but the finsh will not be oe.Other choice is to replace steering wheel.Any help in this matter would be appreciated
Yep, you may not get OE finish from after market leather cover for Civic.
Replace steering wheel ? How about the Airbags ?
Replace, Won't that prove costly if you get it done from Honda A.S.S?

Check here if you want to replace, Value for Money.
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-L...8-SNA-100.aspx

Last edited by sushrutha : 22nd February 2012 at 16:28.
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:42   #2902
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a problem with the drivers seat in my ride.

I have completed 14600 kms in two years and I have still to find a completely comfortable seating position . Am always squirming in the seat and have to make adjustments to the seat height and steering reach regularly - have a slightly bad back, but have no such problems in my City GXI 2004 model in which I have done 61k kms.

help with your suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:54   #2903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

I have completed 14600 kms in two years and I have still to find a completely comfortable seating position . Am always squirming in the seat and have to make adjustments to the seat height and steering reach regularly - have a slightly bad back, but have no such problems in my City GXI 2004 model in which I have done 61k kms.

help with your suggestions.

Thanks.
If you are done with all the adjustments/settings for Seat n driving position in your car then,
Only 2 options are left
1. Try with some Good cushion pillows for back & butt. A flat one is preferable. (try to find a good Lumbar support pillow)
Something like this
http://www.painreliever.com/Lumbar-S...ws_ORT100.html

2. Change the Civic driver's seat with CITY GXI ;-)

Last edited by sushrutha : 22nd February 2012 at 17:12. Reason: provided the link
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:03   #2904
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I have completed 14600 kms in two years and I have still to find a completely comfortable seating position
Sit on the driver's seat, open the door wide and get somebody to take a photo. Need to see your seating position. Also need to know how tall you are.

Anyway, try this position -

1) Pull the steering wheel towards you ("Reach" function). If the steering wheel is sunk in, it might hurt your hands on long drives (but then, I don't know how big/long your hands are )

2) Adjust the "Rake" function (Up and down motion) of the steering wheel in such a way that [digital speedometer, fuel guage, engine temperature guage] on the upper console and [Tachometer & digital odomoter] on the lower console are all visible. Basically, a slightly lower steering position than what is shown in this photo -

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_2588.jpg

3) Keep the seat height/lumbar adjust at the highest position - so that you are hoisted up. At this position, you get the best possible lower back support.

4) Do not recline the seat too much. Keep it at around 100 degrees to the horizontal base.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:49   #2905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
If you are done with all the adjustments/settings for Seat n driving position in your car then,
Only 2 options are left
1. Try with some Good cushion pillows for back & butt. A flat one is preferable. (try to find a good Lumbar support pillow)
Something like this
Jobri BB/L - Jobri Better Back Lumbar Support Seat

2. Change the Civic driver's seat with CITY GXI ;-)
Thanks sushrutha. I like the thought of changing the seat with my City

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Sit on the driver's seat, open the door wide and get somebody to take a photo. Need to see your seating position. Also need to know how tall you are.

Anyway, try this position -

1) Pull the steering wheel towards you ("Reach" function). If the steering wheel is sunk in, it might hurt your hands on long drives (but then, I don't know how big/long your hands are )

2) Adjust the "Rake" function (Up and down motion) of the steering wheel in such a way that [digital speedometer, fuel guage, engine temperature guage] on the upper console and [Tachometer & digital odomoter] on the lower console are all visible. Basically, a slightly lower steering position than what is shown in this photo -

Attachment 892278

3) Keep the seat height/lumbar adjust at the highest position - so that you are hoisted up. At this position, you get the best possible lower back support.

4) Do not recline the seat too much. Keep it at around 100 degrees to the horizontal base.
Thanks Smartcat (love your handle by the way).
I am 5'11". The reach position of the steering wheel is in the midway position and will follow your inputs regarding the other adjustments and revert.
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:26   #2906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am 5'11". The reach position of the steering wheel is in the midway position and will follow your inputs regarding the other adjustments and revert.
I keep the steering at the lowest and closest position possible. Seats are set as much back as possible while making sure that I have comfortable reach to the pedals. Seat height is adjusted for the top most position and back is adjusted at about 100 degrees angle. I use a neck rest cushion tied to the head rest as I tend to have neck pains on long drives. For me the above adjustments provide the best seating comfort for long drives. The only issue is difficulty in getting in and out of the car due to the position of steering wheel. I can live with that.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:52   #2907
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I keep the steering at the lowest and closest position possible. Seat height is adjusted for the top most position and back is adjusted at about 100 degrees angle.
Perfect.

Quote:
Seats are set as much back as possible while making sure that I have comfortable reach to the pedals. I use a neck rest cushion tied to the head rest as I tend to have neck pains on long drives.
This is messing up your driving position a bit, and is probably the reason for your neck pain too. When you set your seat way back, your neck tends to crane forward a bit. That could possibly cause neck pain, and could cause back pain too. And since your legs are a bit outstretched trying to reach the pedal, long drives could result in calf muscle pain.

Driver seat should be as close to the steering as possible. But how close? The best way to find the ideal position is to move the drivers seat forward till your knee hits the underside of the dashboard. And then move the seat backwards so that the space between your knee and the dashboard is around 2 - 3 centimetres. I find this to be the ideal position - no neck pain, back pain, calf pain.

Basically, if you under 60 years of age, if you have pain in any part of your body (under than bum ) while driving, there is a problem with the driving position.

@ cyborg -> Adjusting the seat distance from the steering should probably be the first step. Then do (3), (4) and later (1) and (2).

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd February 2012 at 11:53.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 19:34   #2908
BHPian

Joined Civic club yesterday with VMT Sunroof in UT shade.

I was browsing through the thick user manual and understood how many different variants and feature combinations the Civic has around the world! Lots of missing features are indeed offered in some other region - for example remote boot release, folding back seats, 6 speed gear box, 7 position auto box etc. I think in next few years, highly customized cars may be possible - just like how Dell offers laptop customization.
Old 24th February 2012, 14:05   #2909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I had installed Aluminium spacers in my ZEN, but sometimes I could hear a slight thud whenever I used to go over a pothole. Henceforth I would avoid aluminium spacers

I don't have much idea about Nylon spacers.
Aluminium spacers would cost you around 800 - 1000rs, it depends on the quality too,

Yes spacers do increase the height of the car, but along side handling to a slight exent would be scarificed.

This is how the aluminium spacers look, which I had installed in my ZEN
Attachment 517527
Have you installed spacers in your civic too?
Old 24th February 2012, 14:53   #2910
BHPian

Re: 60K Service over

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
60K Service over.
Car is nearly 3 years old.

Total amount paid - Rs.6,721 (inc. taxes)

breakup (inc. taxes):
Parts:
Synthetic engine oil - Rs.2,362
AT Oil - Rs.1,120
Brake fluid - Rs.315
Oil filter - Rs.155
Air filter - Rs.820
Washer - Rs.19

Labour:
60K service - Rs.1,214
4 Wheel balancing - Rs.330
Wheel alignment - Rs.386

Car is great! Hoping to enjoy it till 2 lakh kms!
My apologies for referring to this old post.

I bought a regularly serviced, 2007 civic with 52000 km on odo two weeks back. Though the vehicle is not due for servicing till 55000 km I want to give it for servicing immediately so that it can be rechecked thoroughly.

I want to ask you that what all will be done by HASS for 55000 km service?

Should I ask for any additional thing to be done?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks