Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2014, 17:11   #5536

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi,

I need an advice from all of you. I own a 2006 model Civic S AT. For last few weeks I am noticing that when I start the car and put it in Drive mode, a growling type harsh sound comes. This happens only when the engine RPM is low and goes away as the RPM increases.Most of the times this sound goes away even on low RPM if the car has been running for some time.

Can you advise me as what could be the issue so I can avoid a major problem later?
Old 26th May 2014, 18:52   #5537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Is it normal that the Fuel economy varies a lot in AT civic? The least I got in the city was 5.8 km/l and the highest I got was 14.X km/l on the highway.
Yes it is normal.
Civic's engine is in 'by default' high power mode. Add to this, the Civic AT's eagerness to downshift, if you floor the accelerator, the mileage will be very poor.

On the contrary, on the highways, if the engine is in cruising speeds, with engine rpm in ~2kish range, the mileage will be significantly higher.

As manim said, its due to the dual nature of the R18A shifting from high power mode to economy mode and vice versa depending on the user input.
Old 27th May 2014, 12:19   #5538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
still waiting for your report on the last service done.
(All my service costs from 40K kms onwards are posted on this thread)
Here is the 1,40,000 kms service (actual odo: 1,32,374):

Labour (every 20K) - Rs.1,747
Washer plug drain - Rs.21
Oil Filter - Rs.149
Air Filter - Rs.1,045
Synthetic Oil - Rs.3,255
AT oil - 1,559

optional:
Wheel-alignment - Rs.489
Wheel-balancing 4 no.s - Rs.449

Total is Rs.8,714

notes:
Car has completed 7 years exactly a week back.
For the first 6 years running was high at 20K+ kms (every year).
This last year I did less than 5K kms.

Car still feels new, no complaint worth mentioning in 7 years so far
Not even a fuse blown so far .

All my services are done at TVS Madurai.

Last edited by manim : 27th May 2014 at 12:20.
manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 16:21   #5539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Synthetic Oil - Rs.3,255
Manim sir thank you for the details.As said by many your car is the benchmark for Civic's across the forum. I see you have always used synethetic oil for your car. I am planning to switch to synthetic soon on my Civic.

I plan to use either Total 0W40 or Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 but not sure if either is suited for a CNG powered Civic.Maybe some of the people could let me know if either is suitable.

Thanks.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:02   #5540
BHPian

I checked it out again, its missing the fog lamp position on the stalks, more importantly the copy of the RC in the glove box says its a "S" version

No doubt whatsoever now thats its a "S" dressed up to look like a "V".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
One more check you can do is to check the stalks that switch on the headlights and fog lamps. In my opinion, if it is a genuine VMT, it should have a position in that for the fog lamps to be switched on. I haven't seen a S MT so far and I am hoping that any after market fog lamps would require a separate switch added to the panel to the right of the steering.

And yes, two owners makes it suspicious as well. Have you tried sourcing a service report for the vehicle with any of the HASS? That should throw more light in my opinion.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:53   #5541
BHPian

Moderator note: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun-t View Post
Hi,

I need an advice from all of you. I own a 2006 model Civic S AT. For last few weeks I am noticing that when I start the car and put it in Drive mode, a growling type harsh sound comes. This happens only when the engine RPM is low and goes away as the RPM increases.Most of the times this sound goes away even on low RPM if the car has been running for some time.

Can you advise me as what could be the issue so I can avoid a major problem later?
Hi Arun,

Is this noise present only in D, or in P & N also? Does it also come when you start in N? When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? How many kilometres has the car done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketa View Post
Dear all
, I'm about to take possession of a 1.8 VMT civic 2007 tomorrow. It has done about 58000 km. The car seems perfect except that when you press the accelerator there is a knock which comes. My friend who is also a trusted mechanic told me its a common issue (engine mounting/stud mounting) with the civic and i'm getting them replaced as well since i'm getting a good price for the car anyway. But the explanation here on this thread doesn't seem to corelate with my experience of the "engine mount" / stud mount problem. No issues on cold starts or unecessary shuddering or sounds over potholes. And mind you i've tried everything before zeroing in on this one.
Just to sum up, the engine runs perfectly, no breaking ever bad roads etc etc. just that if im driving in 3rd and im on 30 and i step on full throttle theres a knock which comes for that one moment and its fine. Any thoughts? The Honda ASS seemed super busy and asked me to come tomorrow so before getting delivery i will get them to sign off on it. I had gone today and checked the entire service history of the car and it seemed absolutely perfect other than some AC issue during the 20,000 km car.
I would suggest that you check the mounts before you replace them. Please also check the throttle body and clean if necessary (since low air can cause the engine to knock, even temporarily), and also check the engine oil level (in case the oil pressure is not enough for the VTEC solenoid to engage quickly).

Just a few things I've seen in some Civics that I've encountered, hope this helps.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th May 2014 at 18:29.
Old 28th May 2014, 21:09   #5542

Thanks for the information Pokermania

The noise only comes in D and R and not the P and N mode, i.e. whenever I am engaging transmission. The car has just completed 40,000 KM and the 40K service was done in Jan this year (2014), including engine oil change. I don't think the transmission fluid has been changed yet.

I will check the engine oil level again and confirm.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponkermania View Post
Moderator note: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Hi Arun,

Is this noise present only in D, or in P & N also? Does it also come when you start in N? When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? How many kilometres has the car done?

I would suggest that you check the mounts before you replace them. Please also check the throttle body and clean if necessary (since low air can cause the engine to knock, even temporarily), and also check the engine oil level (in case the oil pressure is not enough for the VTEC solenoid to engage quickly).

Just a few things I've seen in some Civics that I've encountered, hope this helps.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:02   #5543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Guys, there is something strange in my Civic's AC.

In February this year....., when I was going for a dinner from Gurgaon to Delhi and mid-way I switched on the AC (Defogger actually), it worked fine. After 10-15 minutes again, I did it but this time, the AC compressor didn't turn on, just the blower turned on, so no cool air on windshield hence more foggy windshield. It became impossible to see outside and I had to stop the car. After opening the windows and waiting for a few minutes, it became clear and I could drive. I thought AC fuse might have blown.

But when I started the car after dinner, everything started normal and AC was working as if there was never a problem.

It was working fine since then but yesterday, I went to Delhi (45 kms) with AC working flawlessly. While coming back in evening I started the car, turned on the AC and drove the car for 3-4 kms. No problems. Then I stopped for 10-15 minutes for some work. When I again started the car. AC didn't turn ON just the fan was working. I tried switching off/on AC and the switching off.on engine Nothing worked. I could hear a fan Switched on in the engine bay when I switched on AC.

After driving 2 kms, I even reset the ECU even then problem not solved. Then I switched off the fan also and rolled down the windows and started driving the car. I had decided to stop at Honda A.S.S. in Gurgaon to get it checked. But after driving for 8-9 kms, I switched on the AC and it started working. And when it works, there is no problem whatsoever.

Now, I don't want to take the car to workshop with working AC (what will they diagnose?).

I know its not heating problem, it happened in February also when the weather was cool. And yesterday also, I had driven the car just 3-4 kms and parked it the problem occurred and if it was a heating issue, it should have not started again.

The car is August'2006 model and has run 73k kms. The AC has never been serviced. It was never required and never suggested by Honda A.S.S. All the regular services (every 5k till 60k kms and every 10k kms after that) have been carried out at Honda A.S.S.

Any suggestions guys ?
It has been 15 months since it first appeared, the intermittent AC working issue is still not solved.

* AC Relay changed in June, 2013. S.A. was not willing to change because he could not find any AC problem when I visited HASS but I got it changed.

* Last month (28th April, 2014), at the time of routine service, I explained the problem to S.A. about AC. His views were that AC Clutch and/or Compressor coil may be faulty. When I went to pick up the car, he said everything is working fine. Their standard checking process is to keep the car start, AC ON for 20 minutes and the AC was working 100% fine. So no problem, according to HASS.

Other points:

* Yesterday I drove the car non-stop 46 kms (started at around 11:00AM) and came back 46 kms again (started at 2:30PM) in peak summer at 44 degree Celsius, AC worked flawlessly.

* In the evening, went to visit a relative, 17 kms one way no problem.

* While coming back (at 8:00 PM) after 16 kms (1 km from my home), AC stopped working. So, it is not related to any heating issue (it worked fine for 46 kms drive at 44 degree Celsius, and stopped working at comparatively less temperature).

* After coming home, after one hour, I started the car, switched AC ON and it worked well.

* Sometimes, the problem does not appear for 2 months.

* Car is not used much (twice a week or so).

* No other problem in the car.

* Car was bought in Aug'2006 and has run 78.5k kms.

I am so frustrated with this problem. I can not take this car anywhere, specially with the family, fearing AC will stop working in the peak summer.

I am seriously thinking of selling this car because of AC problem which is otherwise still very good even after almost 8 years.

I will be too happy if the AC stops working permanently so that I can take it to the HASS or NFG to get it fixed but everytime I take it there, it works 100% fine, cooling is too good for a 8 year old.

Suggestion guys. Please.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:15   #5544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suggestion guys. Please.
This thread might help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3426753

The problem seems to point to the relay switch.Are you sure it's not the issue again since it was changed in 2013 last year ? My mechanic diagnosed issue by bypassing the relay switch.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 17:20   #5545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This thread might help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3426753

The problem seems to point to the relay switch.Are you sure it's not the issue again since it was changed in 2013 last year ? My mechanic diagnosed issue by bypassing the relay switch.
The problem was not solved even after changing the relay last year.

Yes, there is a thin possibility that the brand new relay installed at HASS is also showing same problem.

You suggest me to bypass the relay for a month to check ?

Or I can request to buy a relay for me and courier it to me, 380 + courier is still cheaper than Rs.1000 HASS charged.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:28   #5546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem was not solved even after changing the relay last year.

Yes, there is a thin possibility that the brand new relay installed at HASS is also showing same problem.

You suggest me to bypass the relay for a month to check ?

Or I can request to buy a relay for me and courier it to me, 380 + courier is still cheaper than Rs.1000 HASS charged.
I am not sure if bypassing the relay for a month will have a adverse affect on the car. In my case the compressor was not coming on.Maybe you could drive the car till the a/c fails and see if the compressor is running or not.Then it could be the relay all over again.As far as the relay i am sure you will get it in a spare parts shop at around the same low price.

Best ditch HASS and go to a independent garage with the problem.I didn't bother with HASS anyway.

Good Luck.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 29th May 2014 at 17:30.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:33   #5547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if bypassing the relay for a month will have a adverse affect on the car. In my case the compressor was not coming on.Maybe you could drive the car till the a/c fails and see if the compressor is running or not.Then it could be the relay all over again.As far as the relay i am sure you will get it in a spare parts shop at around the same low price.

Best ditch HASS and go to a independent garage with the problem.I didn't bother with HASS anyway.

Good Luck.
The problem is compressor does not take off. Fan and other things work. If climate control is set to low, fan will run at full speed and if the temperature is set to 26-27, fan runs at lower speed even when the AC (compressor) stop working.
Old 29th May 2014, 18:16   #5548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
(All my service costs from 40K kms onwards are posted on this thread)
A quick question to Civic owners (esp in Bangalore). In the last service (simple 15K paid service - no additional work items/oil change etc), I noticed an extra line item in the bill for Rs.200. It read "Any sublet repairs other than classification". I had never seen this before. SA said this is included in all services. Can anyone confirm? (I paid though!)
Old 29th May 2014, 18:29   #5549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSteer View Post
A quick question to Civic owners (esp in Bangalore). In the last service (simple 15K paid service - no additional work items/oil change etc), I noticed an extra line item in the bill for Rs.200. It read "Any sublet repairs other than classification". I had never seen this before. SA said this is included in all services. Can anyone confirm? (I paid though!)
Never seen this before.

There is a lump-sum standard labour charge for 15K service.
If this Rs.200 is extra, I think legally the SA is supposed to explain clearly what the charge means.
Old 29th May 2014, 20:21   #5550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun-t View Post
Thanks for the information Pokermania

The noise only comes in D and R and not the P and N mode, i.e. whenever I am engaging transmission. The car has just completed 40,000 KM and the 40K service was done in Jan this year (2014), including engine oil change. I don't think the transmission fluid has been changed yet.

I will check the engine oil level again and confirm.

Regards,
Please also check the transmission oil level and the engine and transmission mounts. Honda recommends that you should replace the transmission oil every 60,000 kilometres, but that could need changing if the previous owner was in the habit of 'torque-loading' the transmission, and boiled the transmission fluid. That may have also damaged the engine or transmission mounts.

It's relatively easy to check the condition of the transmission fluid. Pull out the transmission dipstick, wipe it off and reinsert it. Pull it out again and examine the fluid. It should smell sweet, and not burnt. It should be either clear, or deep red, like cough syrup. It should not be dark brown or black.

Also, are you keeping your foot on the brake when you change drive modes, i.e. when you go from a non-drive mode like P or N, to a drive mode like R, D or S? If you don't keep the brake pedal pressed, the sudden torque delivered to the wheels may sometimes cause the steering rack to clunk, but that shouldn't happen to a car that's done only 40 thousand kilometres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks