Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2014, 14:46   #5626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
@sumeethaldankar ..
Anxiously awaiting your report as I have been running on Shell Helix Ultra and was contemplating changing over to Total Quartz 9000. Though yours is a semi-synth to synth. change if I understand correctly.
Hello unfortunately i was called for office duties and had to postpone the oil change till next weekend.But i am curious to know why you want to switch to total from shell.
Old 22nd June 2014, 14:45   #5627

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Guys,
I own a 2007 model Honda Civic in Kolkata which has done around 22k kms. Recently, I've started experiencing problems with the brakes in a way that they do not seem to have enough bite.

A couple of months back, the service centre(Eastern Honda) had checked up on this issue and found no problems. I'm still not fully satisfied though.

I need some advice from you guys as to how to go about this issue. Moreover, is there any service centre in Kolkata which is not an authorised Honda centre but one which offers great service at reasonable costs? Also, if the brake pads/callipers need to be replaced, how much would they cost?

Thanks,
Old 23rd June 2014, 02:06   #5628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anunaynitdgp View Post
Also, if the brake pads/callipers need to be replaced, how much would they cost?
Hi Anunay! Welcome to the forum and to the now limited(since they're not selling these in India anymore) Honda Civic Club.

Although I do not know about Honda workshops in Cal, I can give you a rough estimate of how much the brake-work would come down to, since my '08 baby just came back from a much needed 50,000 km service which demanded a lot of attention the brakes and related components.

A complete replacement of all the brake pads(front and rear pairs) will cost you INR 15,000/-; that's INR 7500/- per pair.

The brake disc skimming for all 4 discs will be INR 2500/-

The caliper on my front RHS needed replacement and just 1 caliper bought from the Honda workshop set me back by a HUGE INR 12,500/-
Replacing all 4 could buy you a used Maruti 800

So, only brake-work bill for me was INR 30,000/- WITHOUT TAXES OR LABOUR CHARGES.

But since brakes are the most primary of all things as far as safety of the occupants of a vehicle goes, I got it done without a doubt in mind. And if your car needs some TLC in the brake department, I'd suggest you drive it down to a good Honda workshop, get it diagnosed and spend your buck on the necessities first.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Cheers.
Old 24th June 2014, 09:52   #5629
BHPian

Had posted this in the modifications thread over a week ago but got no responses so thought I should ask here.

Where in Mumbai can I get door visors of the mugen replica kinds And led scuff plates for the civic?
Old 27th June 2014, 13:53   #5630
Senior - BHPian

How frequently does the fuel filter have to be changed? How frequently in terms of time and kms clocked?
Old 27th June 2014, 14:01   #5631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
How frequently does the fuel filter have to be changed? How frequently in terms of time and kms clocked?
I believe it's every 40k Km in terms of distance. Time based well i am not sure but if you running CNG i won't bother changing same for 4 years atleast.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 16:13   #5632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I believe it's every 40k Km in terms of distance. Time based well i am not sure but if you running CNG i won't bother changing same for 4 years atleast.
Yes, the interval is 40k kms/2years.
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 18:18   #5633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Yes, the interval is 40k kms/2years.
40K agreed, 2 year duration is it mentioned in the manual?
Old 28th June 2014, 18:47   #5634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hello unfortunately i was called for office duties and had to postpone the oil change till next weekend.But i am curious to know why you want to switch to total from shell.
I finally changed to fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra.I found the car to be a bit smooth and the engine to be a bit more responsive.The oil is suppose to have a drainage interval of 10K but would the oil filter last as long ?
Old 28th June 2014, 20:41   #5635
Team-BHP Support

These days, I set the tyre pressure to 28 PSI (Honda recommends 30 PSI). This improves the low speed city ride quality massively, especially over deep ruts. Suddenly, my Civic's ride quality is magic carpet-like. You have to experience the difference to believe it. I'm wondering how just 2 PSI makes such a significant difference.

I'm willing to sacrifice the extra tyre wear and lower mileage for the comfort. I anyway change tyres at 40,000 kms/4 years even if there's decent tread depth.

However, I intend to inflate the tyres to 30 PSI on highway drives.

Last edited by SmartCat : 28th June 2014 at 20:44.
Old 28th June 2014, 21:39   #5636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
These days, I set the tyre pressure to 28 PSI (Honda recommends 30 PSI). This improves the low speed city ride quality massively, especially over deep ruts. Suddenly, my Civic's ride quality is magic carpet-like. You have to experience the difference to believe it. I'm wondering how just 2 PSI makes such a significant difference.

I'm willing to sacrifice the extra tyre wear and lower mileage for the comfort. I anyway change tyres at 40,000 kms/4 years even if there's decent tread depth.

However, I intend to inflate the tyres to 30 PSI on highway drives.
Yes i have experienced the magic carpet feel too at a reduced tyre pressure.I have 205 size and fill up 32 psi and run for around 2-3 weeks or around 300-500 kms.With time or distance as the pressure reduces the ride gets softer and comfortable.I am not sure if this will accelerate wear and tear of the tyre but they look good even after 10k and 3 years of running.I believe higher pressure is recommended for highway driving where the tyre does not flex much as it becomes stiffer.Someone can correct me if wrong.
Old 30th June 2014, 09:11   #5637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
40K agreed, 2 year duration is it mentioned in the manual?
Yes, it is. In the manual, the service interval for every detail is given in terms of km's and time, whichever comes first.

For Civic, the interval is in every 20K kms/1 year range. Certain types like the fuel filter in question, comes up in every second such occurrence, which would be 40K kms/2 year range.
Old 30th June 2014, 17:07   #5638
Senior - BHPian

So I had my Civic through a thorough wash and dry cleaning today morning. I had steam pressure wash on the engine bay too. Now, a strange issue that cropped up after 3/4 hrs after the wash.

1) The alert came out on its own (flashing lights and anti-theft alarms).
2) The door open gauge remains ON even when all the doors/boot are properly closed.
3) I can't use the remote key button to lock the car anymore. It does nothing. However, if I use the key to manually lock it, it works. And I can again use the unlock remote button to unlock it. So, that rules out battery problem on the remote key.
4) I also see that the side-step LED (on all four doors) do not lit up when the door is opened. (It used to bring up the CIVIC LED blue glow previously).
5) I tried the head unit, head lights and indicators - all works.

So I am quite puzzled what could be the reason. I am guessing washing the engine bay or the dry cleaning of upholstery might have induced some water to the electricals. Any idea how I can troubelshoot?
Old 30th June 2014, 17:12   #5639
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a door/boot/bonnet switch is stuck in on position. Or may be the rubber bush which presses agaisnt those switch to turn the off is not doing its duty for some reason. This justifies why you alarm is sounding and not arming up the car. May be some water has gone into those switches too, which if is the case, should resolve once the water dries up.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 21:19   #5640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Looks like a door/boot/bonnet switch is stuck in on position. Or may be the rubber bush which presses agaisnt those switch to turn the off is not doing its duty for some reason. This justifies why you alarm is sounding and not arming up the car. May be some water has gone into those switches too, which if is the case, should resolve once the water dries up.
I tried a few minutes, no luck! It seems like some fuse or electrical circuit have gone kaput. Will take the car to service center tomorrow to diagnose the problem. Hope it is just a simple issue.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks