Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2014, 14:54   #5596
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I need a piece of advice. It's been just 5 months since my last service and I've already covered 10500 kms since then. The car is still a great performer. My point is can I get it serviced after another 5-6 months, thereby I'll have completed another 4-5k kms? I'm at 92k kms at the odo so I was thinking might as well skip the current service and get it serviced closer to 1lakh kms. I've got the oil checked, the filters are fine, clutch just replaced with a brand new one and brake pads are good to go for another 10k kms.
Any opinions?
Old 11th June 2014, 15:04   #5597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I need a piece of advice. It's been just 5 months since my last service and I've already covered 10500 kms since then. The car is still a great performer. My point is can I get it serviced after another 5-6 months, thereby I'll have completed another 4-5k kms? I'm at 92k kms at the odo so I was thinking might as well skip the current service and get it serviced closer to 1lakh kms. I've got the oil checked, the filters are fine, clutch just replaced with a brand new one and brake pads are good to go for another 10k kms.
Any opinions?
Isin't the drain interval even if you running synthetics at 10K. It will be 14-15 K if you extend it to 1 lac km. May be you could just "request" for a oil change at Hass rather than do complete service.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 16:36   #5598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Isin't the drain interval even if you running synthetics at 10K. It will be 14-15 K if you extend it to 1 lac km. May be you could just "request" for a oil change at Hass rather than do complete service.
Can you do that? Just request an oil change form the A.S.S? Yes they say 10k kms for synthetic oil but I've gone up to 13k without any issues.
Old 11th June 2014, 17:08   #5599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you do that? Just request an oil change form the A.S.S? Yes they say 10k kms for synthetic oil but I've gone up to 13k without any issues.
Yes. Very much. I have recently changed the oil for my Civic at H.A.S.S and that was the only request I had. No regular service. Waited for an hour and picked up the car after the oil change.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 17:59   #5600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Imo, the extra push on oil isn't worth the bucks we might be saving. Have them replaced at 10k itself. As sumeethaldankar and rr_zen said, H.A.S.S will definitely do just the oil change. I had done it once, and will consume at the max 1 hour.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 18:40   #5601
BHPian

If you want to avoid the hassle of going to HASS, your local Shell station will do it free of cost for you when you buy oil from them. They drain the old oil and fill the new one.
patron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 18:54   #5602
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. Can anyone tell me the exact synthetic oil used in the civic?
@rr_zen

how much did they charge you?
Old 11th June 2014, 19:24   #5603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When you go to Hass tell them you haven't come for a full service but just for a request.This is how i got the throttle body and hds done.You need not go only for service.Tell them you will come for it later.
Old 11th June 2014, 19:37   #5604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@rr_zen

Civic's oil is 5W-20. From service center, this should set you back by around 4k(total of 4lt), which will include an oil filter(150 rs i guess) change as well.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 19:43   #5605
Senior - BHPian

@sarathlal: If I remember right the Idemitsu synthetic oil used by HASS is 0W30. This was confirmed by @sgiitk as well. And I remember paying around 3.5k INR for the same. Will confirm the exact amount.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 20:11   #5606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@rr_zen

Shell helix ultra will be 5W 40 while the Hass oil will be Idemitsu as mentioned by rrzen is 0w 30. I will be going for Total 5w 40 soon for my next oil change and i will be getting it done from my garage guy.If you always have used Hass oil then it's better you stick with same rather than try a different brand because i have found Hass mineral oil to be much smoother even the semi-synthetic Total 10W 40 and mineral Mobil 10W 30 so i much sure their synthetic would be as good if not better.
Old 11th June 2014, 20:27   #5607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shell helix ultra will be 5W 40 while the Hass oil will be Idemitsu as mentioned by rrzen is 0w 30. I will be going for Total 5w 40 soon for my next oil change and i will be getting it done from my garage guy.If you always have used Hass oil then it's better you stick with same rather than try a different brand because i have found Hass mineral oil to be much smoother even the semi-synthetic Total 10W 40 and mineral Mobil 10W 30 so i much sure their synthetic would be as good if not better.
This is the first time I went with the HASS synthetic oil and have always been used to Mobil 1 0W40 in the past. However, I find the Idemitsu synthetic to be as good as Mobil 1 and the engine is as smooth as butter.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 21:15   #5608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
This is the first time I went with the HASS synthetic oil and have always been used to Mobil 1 0W40 in the past. However, I find the Idemitsu synthetic to be as good as Mobil 1 and the engine is as smooth as butter.
Yes precisely it's as good as any other brand like Mobil, Shell etc and is much cheaper than the others i think.
Old 11th June 2014, 21:43   #5609
BANNED

Quote:
Yes precisely it's as good as any other brand like Mobil, Shell etc and is much cheaper than the others i think.
Yes, even though it is only API-SM. Being 0W30 you can expect a few percent (2-4% or so) saving in consumption as well.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 12:13   #5610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes, even though it is only API-SM. Being 0W30 you can expect a few percent (2-4% or so) saving in consumption as well.
One question I have is that how do we know it is 0W30 that's being filled at the HASS for the Civic. The reason I ask is recently I had been to the HASS for fixing of my spoiler and I remember seeing Idemitsu cans lying around with the Honda Genuine oil badge but for a different grade can't remember which one though. Or is 0W30 meant only for the Civic while it could be different for City for instance?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks