Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2014, 18:22   #6121
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Any input ? I need to go for a long drive..
Dont you hate it when people dont reply to posts.

How many kms has your car done ?

Do you have difficulty shifting gears ?

A clutch overhaul at hass would cost 12k

I had a new key made from outside for 2.5 k in mumbai.

12k is too much for the key.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 18:52   #6122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Hi Sumeet,

You are very right.

Our friends asking a query should pose pointed and specific questions.

Also, for a quick reply one should quote a post.

One has never been disappointed.

Happy posting, Buddies.

Sumeet, you are right about clutch overhaul and duplicate key cost.

Last edited by skdking : 20th December 2014 at 18:53.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 19:19   #6123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Mine has done 43k. Shifting is not difficult. This problem was there for last 4 - 5 years.. started almost 2yrs after I bought it new. It comes and goes.. never took it serious.

On key, will an outside guy be able to dup it ?. I thought it has some on-key-chip, and only Honda can make it.
Old 20th December 2014, 19:33   #6124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine has done 43k. Shifting is not difficult. This problem was there for last 4 - 5 years.. started almost 2yrs after I bought it new. It comes and goes.. never took it serious.

On key, will an outside guy be able to dup it ?. I thought it has some on-key-chip, and only Honda can make it.
43K is too early for a clutch to be in need of replacement unless the clutch is used as a foot rest on drives.Check clutch fluid and i am not quite sure but i suppose you can do clutch bleeding. Yes outside Hass you can get a exact copy of the key with chip etc.
Old 21st December 2014, 10:30   #6125
Senior - BHPian

For all the people who have or would be facing the Power steering /Rack leak here is a excerpt from the below linky.
Quote:
"For all you 8th gen owners with a power steering leak or have had your Steering Rack replaced because the dealer said it was bad, I have some good news. There is a high possibility that the rack is not or was not bad. I discovered thru research and thru troubleshooting, that (2) two Aluminum plugs (Pressure Regulators)on the Gearbox have (2) rubber (ORings) that could be leaking. Having talked with a Steering rack rebuilder, I found out that those (ORings) can go bad and start leaking after awhile. Not all the time or with every car, but when you rebuild Racks, you see the problems over and over again. Apparently the leak looks like the rack is bad because both plugs are right over the drivers side boot on the rack. So it seems like the boot is leaking which leads to the conclusion that the internal seal inside the rack itself is blown (Meaning Replace Rack). One sure fire way to find out of course is to pull the boot (easy for small handed people) but I have large hands, so in my case I punched a tiny pinhole with a sharp small Ice Pick into the last fold on the boot, on the bottom of course to see if any PS fluid leaks out. Yeah I know now external air can get into the boot. Very small amount, and very little dirt could get in. But if your worried, take some black RTV, after first cleaning with alcohol, and seal up the hole. Let dry overnight of course.

If the boot is dry inside, then the (ORings)are bad on the Plugs. And you can tell by drying everything off, driving for a day or two, then notice if there is PS fluid around the edges of the Plugs. If there is then you can drain the system, take out the Plugs, making sure to install the pressure regulator the correct way, and install new Orings. it wouldn't hurt to use some good threadlock,(Permatex or Loctite) the white stuff used in engine rebuilding to seal up bolts which have oil pressure behind them. Use it on the threads, put it on gingerly, as you don't want it flyin around in your PS system.

Oh and by the way you will not be able to buy the ORings locally. None of the local Auto parts stores will have them, Even Honda will not be able to find out a part number, because it isn't listed. In other words the ORings are not on any parts diagrams for the Steering Rack. How convenient for Honda Huh!

Good news however. You can order the ORings from a place called ORing Warehouse. The ORings are: Cross Section .072" Inner Diameter .90"
70-durometer Nitrile/Buna, Black. (Select Size (drop down menu) closest to actual size (is 020 which is .846")There cheap, only prob is you have a min order of $5 plus Ship so it comes to around $10. That min order will get you a quantity of 250 however. So tell all your friends. Ha!"
Source.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...ring-rack.html

Again i will like to ask the high milers with ODO readings more than 1 lac kms( coolkurt has already replied) how long before you decide to trade in your old Civic with a new car.

Thanks for your time.
Old 21st December 2014, 11:52   #6126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Never underestimate the roadside folks in india. They can do an equally good job at less that a quarter of the cost. They'll have the computerised key matching setup so it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the clutch is concerned, spraying WD is a temporary solution. Even after my clutch replacement (81k), the squeak comes and goes..probably the rains, or the spring maybe. It's not too much of a bother. I just spray some WD and it goes quiet. Gear shifts are smooth, so no issues. Anyway, I can't drive without playing some music, so all the squeaks and rattles get drowned out
Old 21st December 2014, 15:32   #6127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Never underestimate the roadside folks in india. They can do an equally good job at less that a quarter of the cost. They'll have the computerised key matching setup so it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the clutch is concerned, spraying WD is a temporary solution. Even after my clutch replacement (81k), the squeak comes and goes..probably the rains, or the spring maybe. It's not too much of a bother. I just spray some WD and it goes quiet. Gear shifts are smooth, so no issues. Anyway, I can't drive without playing some music, so all the squeaks and rattles get drowned out
Went to Dakshin honda today. As usual, they sprayed "4 way" spray on clutch pedal inside the car and is silent now. Is this spray same as WD you said ?.

Why did you have to change clutch ?.. and how come it cost 81k.

Let me find a local good key wala and get it done..
Old 21st December 2014, 15:37   #6128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Went to Dakshin honda today. As usual, they sprayed "4 way" spray on clutch pedal inside the car and is silent now. Is this spray same as WD you said ?.

Buddy i am quite sure he meant the clutch was replaced at 81K on the odo and not 81k Rs. And no you cannot just goto a key wallah to make a duplicate key.He needs to have the chip coding device as well to match key codes etc on your car.
Old 22nd December 2014, 00:09   #6129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As sumeethaldankar said, I changed it at 81k kms The clutch had become hard and shifting had started becoming a problem.

Yes, the spray is WD40. You can get it at any hardware store.
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:57   #6130
BANNED

Gave my car 40k service @ whitefield honda. Estimate is Rs 15000. Previous post (in 2012) shows 8k. Are they taking me for a ride ?. Break up as follows

Engine Oil/Filter etc, Rs 4000 (parts) + Rs 2000 (Labour)
Fuel filter, stainer (?), injector cleaning etc, Rs 6000 + Rs 900
AC filling/duct cleaning etc Rs 2500
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:11   #6131
BANNED

@swageo; If the AC is working fine, esp if you have installed a Dust & Pollen filter then you can skip the last.
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:37   #6132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gave my car 40k service @ whitefield honda. Estimate is Rs 15000. Previous post (in 2012) shows 8k. Are they taking me for a ride ?. Break up as follows

Engine Oil/Filter etc, Rs 4000 (parts) + Rs 2000 (Labour)
Fuel filter, stainer (?), injector cleaning etc, Rs 6000 + Rs 900
AC filling/duct cleaning etc Rs 2500
Fair cost for 40k kms
Usually it's around 10-12K Rs. for major service(every 40k kms).
Engine oil - Synthetic oil ?
Fuel stainer is around 5K plus I feel, This is replaced once every 40K kms.
Last time I had replaced in 40k kms ( 2.5 years back) service it was around 3.5- 4K Rs.
Now my car is due for 80K kms service (as of now my car is 77.5K kms run)
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:45   #6133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@swageo; If the AC is working fine, esp if you have installed a Dust & Pollen filter then you can skip the last.
A/C is not very effective.. I could have done in outside, but in a hurry for long vacation drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Fair cost for 40k kms
Usually it's around 10-12K Rs. for major service(every 40k kms).
Engine oil - Synthetic oil ?
Fuel stainer is around 5K plus I feel, This is replaced once every 40K kms.
Last time I had replaced in 40k kms ( 2.5 years back) service it was around 3.5- 4K Rs.
Now my car is due for 80K kms service (as of now my car is 77.5K kms run)
Yes, synthetic oil..

They need two full day for 40k service. Need to remove backside seat to replace fuel filter etc.. It seems only their senior mechanics attend these, as it need expertise.. Hu.. :-)

I replaced 4 tyres for 26K (Xm2), and now 15K ... total 40k damage
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:00   #6134
BANNED

Got a call from whitefield honda asking me to confirm change of "drive belt" costing 12k. What is this belt ?. Is it same as timing belt ? and does it replacement in 40,000 km ?
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:30   #6135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from whitefield honda asking me to confirm change of "drive belt" costing 12k. What is this belt ?. Is it same as timing belt ? and does it replacement in 40,000 km ?
Buddy was your car bought used ? By drive belt i am assuming the serpentine belt. At 40K it's too early to change the serpentine belt.If the car was bought used 99.98% of cars have rigged odo's this i am afraid is quite true so please be wary and don't go by what is seen on the odo.Is the belt worn out.Always in case of expensive service costs always get a second opinion before proceeding.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks