Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2016, 10:04   #7621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
So I'm on a long drive from mumbai to goa and midway I face this issue suddenly of all (IIRC) lights blinking at random intervals like the ignition restart! Headlights, in cabin lights, ac, music system et al. Since I'm driving in night, decided to take a halt and continue the journey tomorrow morning as a precaution. Has anyone else faced this issue? and can help with a probable diagnosis?
Might be a weak battery. Get it checked soon before leaving.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 11:02   #7622
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The Civic AT has much taller gearing than the MT. I saw one US EPA figure rating it 1MPG superior to the MT on the highway. The gearing is just above 50kph per 1000 rpm in 5th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
I checked at 100kmph, and the rpm was hovering at the 2k mark, full 1k below that of my city MT. That's a huge plus since it's something that bugged me about the city, and got addressed without me realizing
Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
so tall gearing ratio is something of a must have
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Talking about the RPM levels, the Civic MT's needle hovers around 2500 at 100 KMPH. This can help score 16+ FE figures easily on highways while cruising. So I'm assuming that the AT can beat the MT if confined to such a cruise in FE dept.
Here are the numbers from Overdrive magazine of September-2006:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-crop.jpg  

manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 12:02   #7623
Distinguished - BHPian

I have also noticed that Post 60 KMPH (approx), the speedo is off by about 5 KMPH (higher side) from true speed as measured by a GPS device. Though, this is true for all cars I guess. Being a digital display and hence number specific, it attracts more attention about the error I guess.

Anyone noticed it?
Old 9th July 2016, 12:08   #7624
BHPian

Quote:
So I'm on a long drive from mumbai to goa and midway I face this issue suddenly of all (IIRC) lights blinking at random intervals like the ignition restart! Headlights, in cabin lights, ac, music system et al.

Most probably a battery issue.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 14:13   #7625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Might be a weak battery. Get it checked soon before leaving.

Battery is just 3 months old. Will be surprising if that's the reason. However, the issue has vanished since morning. I'm suspecting some lose connection or a fuse problem. Will have it examined and update.
Old 9th July 2016, 14:49   #7626
BHPian

I reckon you get the terminal connectors checked and spray them with a battery terminal protector to prevent build up of sulfuric acid and hydrogen crystals on them.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 07:35   #7627
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I have also noticed that Post 60 KMPH (approx), the speedo is off by about 5 KMPH (higher side) from true speed as measured by a GPS device. Though, this is true for all cars I guess. Being a digital display and hence number specific, it attracts more attention about the error I guess
Yes, I have also observed this. In my car it is was about 3-4km at low speeds and 5kph at higher speeds. This is comparing with my GPS. Now it has gone up by 1 kph or so. I guess it is the tyre wear which is reducing the wheel diameter. I think as per the law in many countries the rule now is that the Sppedo is not allowed to be pessimistic, and the error allowed is all on the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I reckon you get the terminal connectors checked and spray them with a battery terminal protector to prevent build up of sulfuric acid and hydrogen crystals on them.
A correction it is sulphate and not Sulphuric Acid. If you have got Hydrogen crystals at room temperature and pressure then you can claim a Nobel! I do not think there are any hydrides. I prefer to use White petroleum jelly, aka Vaseline.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 14:52   #7628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Battery is just 3 months old. Will be surprising if that's the reason. However, the issue has vanished since morning. I'm suspecting some lose connection or a fuse problem. Will have it examined and update.
I faced this exact issue more than 4 years ago on my Civic when cruising on the highway. It lasted for a few seconds after which the car drove as nothing had happened. My battery was fairly new as well then. Have not had the issue ever since and hence do not have a clue why it happened too.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 20:37   #7629
BHPian

Hi All, need advise on this issue of "battery indicator" with my civic.

The car starts & everything is fine. After a few minutes, the battery indicator shows up on the console. It stays on for few more mins, before vanishing again.

Few other signs like power windows roll up slowly & there is a small buzzing noise whenever i operate the power window buttons or switch on the headlights. There seems no loss in headlight brightness though.

Just to let know, my amaron battery is 4years, 3 months old.

So kindly advise battery is towards its end or the issue is related somewhere else.

Thanks a lot.
Old 12th July 2016, 11:47   #7630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
So kindly advise battery is towards its end or the issue is related somewhere else.
Have the battery checked at your nearest amaron pitstop or a competent battery store. Should be going weak after 4 years of service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A correction it is sulphate and not Sulphuric Acid. If you have got Hydrogen crystals at room temperature and pressure then you can claim a Nobel!
My bad professor, it should have been sulphate crystals.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th July 2016 at 17:03. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 12th July 2016, 13:38   #7631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Have the battery checked at your nearest amaron pitstop or a competent battery store. Should be going weak after 4 years of service.
Thanks, was planning it until today morning the engine doesn't crank at all. There is light screeching sound when i turn the ignition key & all lights on the dash light up.

If the alternator is NOT able to keep the battery charged, and i replace with a new battery, would it again drain out to some extent until i can get the car to Honda service center?

Should i just replace with a new battery & re-check if the battery light comes up again ?

Please advise.

Last edited by Adi22 : 12th July 2016 at 13:43. Reason: typo
Old 12th July 2016, 14:40   #7632
BANNED

@1lokesh; I do not think it is the battery but some wiring issue. Once the engine is running the battery has a minimal role. One I even ran my M800 with a nearly dead battery. It was before ECU days. Once I managed to push start it, it ran happily till I reached a workshop. The alternator was turning out enough juice to keep it going.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 15:19   #7633
Senior - BHPian

Anyone used this USB/Aux interface with the Stock HU of Civic?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-_57.jpg  

Old 12th July 2016, 20:25   #7634
BHPian

My civics power steering has developed problems with respect to the power steering. There was a leak spotted and subsequently the steering was resealed for the leak. The mechanic charged rs 6000 for this. Now after a couple of lock to lock turns , the seal broke and again the entire oil came out. The mech got that resealed. After Two days, again while during the lock to lock turn, the power steering went completely dead. Now the mech says the power steering pump has gone and needs to be replaced. He says the steering leak has nothing to got to do with the pump and these were Two different issues. He is pushing me to buy a new non Honda pump for rs 14000.
What's the price of a genuine Honda pump? Please help as I feel that I am being taken for a ride by the mechanic.
Old 13th July 2016, 07:54   #7635
BANNED

@kumargandharva; To my simple minded view running the power steering pump without fluid is an invitation to disaster. So I think the leak and this may be related.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks