Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2016, 14:22   #7711
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@0and1; Did I read correctly. ₹50 for a set of front disc pads, just does not seem to sound right! Let others also opine. I think it should have been more like 1500!
He clarified 50 USD in another thread. So that's closer to 3,000 rupees - a fair rate I would say. Below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0and1 View Post
Sorry it would be 50$ that's 3.5k for all 4...

Yes... saw the gap it is down to mm's... I think a lot of thing in civic like the mount/brake pads is as much dependent on mileage as much on the time, since mine is a 6 year old it gave away irrespective of the mileage...
Old 16th August 2016, 20:00   #7712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Went for alignment of the Civic. The mechanic tried to adjust the camber of front passenger side, but on removing the tire realized that the gap available for adjustment is quite less. His guess is that the shocker could be bent. I intend to take the Civic to Honda tomorrow. The car is outside warranty but has zero-dep insurance.
So went for the service over the weekend, and insisted on being around the whole time since I had not had a really close look at everything yet. Although a cursory inspection was done by someone at Honda during the buying process, but not to the level I would have wanted to, and I was a bit apprehensive since then. The whole alignment saga too had made me nervous.

Went well by and large. Got the transmission and engine oil changed. Couldn't get past the royal robbery of 1600 bucks for wiper rubbers. Apparently the part connecting the wheel to the suspension unit has a bent, that's what the preliminary analysis revealed. Shall be giving the car back tomorrow for part replacement and hoping this gets resolved once and for all.

Just one irritant remains, there's a noticeable rattling sound in the cabin when driven over rough patches. I got an experienced technician to drive it, but he dismissed it saying its just rattles from the plastics, or somewhere inside the steering column and I shouldn't be worried. Now I'm not really sure how to get this rectified. Will try to see if there is some competent garage that can help.

Big thanks to everyone who has been contributing on this thread. Time spent here has been valuable in gaining some pertinent insights
Old 17th August 2016, 17:39   #7713
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am back on this. Feels good to communicate with fellow civic owners.I had my power steering hose replaced locally at Chembur as it was leaking fluid heavily. This mechanic was suggested by fellow BHPian (My greatest thanks for him). The hose was Japanese OEM certified and after 2 unsuccessful attempts the mechanic could replace it correctly. In the meantime he also checked the power steering rack and pump, luckily there was no leak from these componants. Right after the work was finished, I could hear a peculiar whining noise from the engine bay transmitted into my cockpit !! It was intermittent earlier and I went back to the mechanic. He said there could be an air bubble in the hose and eventually it will go away. Its almost 3 months and now the noise is inevitable !! I have uploaded the video here, kindly check and let me know your views. I also noticed the power steering fluid leaking on the floor (not heavily though) and I am disappointed with this. I am taking my car to the mechanic this weekend and will keep you posted.

Last edited by spoth001 : 17th August 2016 at 17:41.
Old 17th August 2016, 19:29   #7714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Right after the work was finished, I could hear a peculiar whining noise from the engine bay transmitted into my cockpit !! It was intermittent earlier and I went back to the mechanic. He said there could be an air bubble in the hose and eventually it will go away.
Looks like the mech forgot to top up the power steering fluid after he was done. Low oil levwls do cause noise when the steering is operated. Hope this is the issue.
Old 17th August 2016, 20:22   #7715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Looks like the mech forgot to top up the power steering fluid after he was done. Low oil levwls do cause noise when the steering is operated. Hope this is the issue.
I wish the problem was that simple. It's not with the oil levels as they all remain topped up
Something to be noted tho, there are lot of bubbles in the power fluid reservoir when the engine is turned on. Don't know what does it signify.

Last edited by spoth001 : 17th August 2016 at 20:25. Reason: Extended reasoning
Old 17th August 2016, 23:01   #7716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish the problem was that simple. It's not with the oil levels as they all remain topped up
Something to be noted tho, there are lot of bubbles in the power fluid reservoir when the engine is turned on. Don't know what does it signify.
The krr sound unless i am wrong will occur on all Civic's if the steering is turned to its max. Other Civic owners can also confirm this. Never hold it for long at the steering max turn for long as it will strain the power steering system. Also i am sure the work done should have min 6 months warranty so any issue please take car back to him. One more thing fluid level in the power steering reservoir should be between full and max. Anything more should be removed as i remember reading somewhere excessive oil can also put load on the power steering seals which could develop leaks. But why did he failed twice to install the pipe correctly ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 17th August 2016 at 23:05.
Old 18th August 2016, 00:37   #7717
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I am back on this. Feels good to communicate with fellow civic owners.I had my power steering hose replaced locally at Chembur as it was leaking fluid heavily. This mechanic was suggested by fellow BHPian (My greatest thanks for him).

I'm very much familiar with that noise in the video. Had exactly the same issue after a 'Chembur' mechanic repaired power steering pump and the rack as well on my civic. Apart from this noise, which was fixed after topping up the power steering fluid reservoir, I also had visible oil leakage on the floor of my parking bay. Went back to him - he kept the car for a day and blamed it on the guy who repaired the pump for missing out on a certain ring. Anyway I got back without paying anything except the cost of power steering oil.

But again, in a couple of days I see fresh PS oil leak drops at the same spot in parking. Went back to the same mechanic, it turns out that he has met an accident and hurt his leg - due to which he cannot attend my car for another couple of weeks.

I need to go back to him this weekend and get this sorted out for once and all, with a final warning.

There's an eerie similarity in what you've mentioned and what I have faced. If I'm not wrong, we might even be talking about the same guy!

Nevertheless, please do top up the PS fluid reservoir till you think this issue is fixed. I've bought a can and keep it handy always. I need to necessarily top it up in a week or 10 days.
Old 20th August 2016, 14:17   #7718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Since the key discussion is going on, I will share my experience.

In Jan' 2011, I went to a market in Rohini (Delhi), bought some stuff and opened front door to keep some of the bought stuff and I also left the car keys on front seat. Then I opened the boot with lever, closed the door and went to keep remaining stuff in boot. As soon as I closed the boot after throwing the remaining stuff, the car got locked (bad front door sensor, it sensed that I never opened the front door, changed it later).

I had almost sent friend's driver to my home but before that I remembered a key maker sitting in the same market (open space, no shop). He tried some basic thing to open the door or to remove quarter glass but I stopped him after 2 minutes so that he doesn't damage anything.

He saw my original key lying on the front seat. He went to his shop and got a blank key (with no cuts) with a metal filer. Then and there, by just looking at key, in 8-10 minutes, he made a key and opened the door with this key. Cost Rs.400/-.

I was really surprised to know these kind of guys (I think he is has not even studies till 10th standard) can do such things where three technologies involved - Key shape (cutting), immobilizer and remote. Of course, he will get it done from somewhere else but still.
Hello Mukesh,

Could you use this new key for switching the engine on?

Can such keys only unlock the car?

I am in the same boat, so please tell.

Thanks a ton.
Old 20th August 2016, 14:25   #7719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post

I did not even buy the key. He just opened the door with that temporary key. He wanted few hundreds more to give the key.

This kind of key will NOT switch on the engine because it will not have transponder chip.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 16:36   #7720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello Mukesh,

I am in the same boat, so please tell.

Thanks a ton.
1. Do not underestimate the skill of our local craftsmen. When my civic's key slot got jammed, and i had a trip pending in 3 hours, HASS gave their standard reply, Enter - local keymaker. He came, checked the lock. Opened it up, repaired it and got back and installed it within 2 hours. He made me a new set of keys too as the older ones were worn out. Total damage - 3.5k. 2k for the repair and 1.5k for the keys. Working like a charm.

The key, if attached to the transponder, can start the car.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 20:22   #7721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
1. Do not underestimate the skill of our local craftsmen. When my civic's key slot got jammed, and i had a trip pending in 3 hours, HASS gave their standard reply, Enter - local keymaker. He came, checked the lock. Opened it up, repaired it and got back and installed it within 2 hours. He made me a new set of keys too as the older ones were worn out. Total damage - 3.5k. 2k for the repair and 1.5k for the keys. Working like a charm.

The key, if attached to the transponder, can start the car.
Hi Coolkurt, My Boot lock seems to be jammed. It sometimes refuses to open with the key. Will your guy be able to help such scenarios? I dont want to change just the boot lock and carry another key for it.

If yes, Civvy might just land up in Delhi I am looking for excuses
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:09   #7722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hi Coolkurt, My Boot lock seems to be jammed. It sometimes refuses to open with the key. Will your guy be able to help such scenarios? I dont want to change just the boot lock and carry another key for it.

If yes, Civvy might just land up in Delhi I am looking for excuses
When a car rammed into my stationary civic, boot had got disfigured. After denting, painting I found out that the lock wasn't working. Honda said we will have to change the lock. I took it to my FNG and they did it in 20 mins. Damage: 200 bucks.

Haha. Feel free. Your name will go down in the Team Bhp hall of fame for driving down from Bangalore to Delhi for getting a lock repaired
Old 24th August 2016, 10:50   #7723
BHPian

On a cold start, my Civic AT right away ramps up to 1200-ish rpm and stays there even without accelerator input. Previously, it was staying at 700-800rpm in this condition and would inch forward very slowly, without accelerator input. Now, as a result, absent braking, it tends to lunge forward uncomfortably fast and even upshifts in a few seconds. The mats aren't causing this. I even removed and put the mats back, put the problem persists.

Have any of you had this issue? One solution that came to mind is resetting the ECU as Akshay had suggested earlier in the thread:
"Get into your car, shut the door etc, and turn the key full on to the point just before it cranks.
Press the accelerator fully to the floor and hold it there for 30 seconds.
After that don't touch the key, or door or anything but sit and wait for 2 minutes."

I haven't yet tried this, but I want to make sure this isn't due to a deeper issue that is best addressed sooner than later.

I would appreciate any leads. Thanks!
Old 24th August 2016, 18:08   #7724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
On a cold start, my Civic AT right away ramps up to 1200-ish rpm and stays there even without accelerator input. Previously, it was staying at 700-800rpm in this condition and would inch forward very slowly, without accelerator input.
On a cold start, my Civic MT starts at 1200 rpm and eventually in a few minutes, it settles down to 7-800 rpm. That's normal. Have you tried waiting for a bit?
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 20:37   #7725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
On a cold start, my Civic AT right away ramps up to 1200-ish rpm and stays there even without accelerator input. Previously, it was staying at 700-800rpm in this condition and would inch forward very slowly, without accelerator input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
On a cold start, my Civic MT starts at 1200 rpm and eventually in a few minutes, it settles down to 7-800 rpm. That's normal. Have you tried waiting for a bit?

Ya, +1 to 'coolkurt's' quote. Most, or I think all MPFI engines, have their ecm's to keep them at a bit higher rpm then normal at cold starts to aid warming up. Later it subsides to the normal idling level. But if it seems abnormally high then one may have to get it looked into.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks