Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2016, 09:40   #7501
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As you to a higher viscosity the friction in the engine increases. If you go too thin you risk the piston rubbing in the cylinder or a bearing not having an oil cushion, both are potential disasters. In fact looking at the same motor in the US etc I see they are even happy with SAE0W20, remember Arizona is probably as hot as Rajasthan! However, the recommendation is for SAE30 so that is what I use.
Thanks for the response.

The manual also mentions 0w-40 in the list of recommended grades and that it should be API SL or higher.

In case of using Honda Idemitsu oils, is it available outside HASS?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-image.jpeg  

Last edited by petroguzzler : 21st May 2016 at 09:44.
Old 21st May 2016, 10:52   #7502
BANNED

I do not think the Honda-Idemitsu-Savsol 0W30 is likely to be available outside. So it agrees that 0W20 is also kosher, but is not available in India. API-SL is a no-brainer, any oil you get today will be API-SM or SN.
Old 21st May 2016, 16:42   #7503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I do not think the Honda-Idemitsu-Savsol 0W30 is likely to be available outside. So it agrees that 0W20 is also kosher, but is not available in India. API-SL is a no-brainer, any oil you get today will be API-SM or SN.
Since availability is an issue and Honda recommends 0w-40 also as per the above picture posted, would it be fine to use Mobil 0w-40 fully synthetic?
Old 22nd May 2016, 07:07   #7504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post

- Clutch overhaul,
- Suspension work,
- Engine mount,
- PS pump and steering rack,
- AC fan motor
- And many other small things including two set of tyre changes.

This whole thing has now really put me in a tizzy, whether I should continue with my beloved Civic or move on to some thing else. I would really be sad though, parting with this much cherished ride.

What do you guys suggest...

Cheers,
Lokesh
Well, technically you can get all that replaced for under 50k. Albeit not at HASS. SO you're the one who ought to do the math and take a call if it's viable. Once you do manage to do the above, your car should be good for 2-3 years atleast.
Old 22nd May 2016, 12:58   #7505
Senior - BHPian

@Cookurt, Lokesh already has got those items fixed or worked on. I guess he is wondering what next will come or how much more would be needed to sustain the car in a healthy shape.

I don't know about you guys but i am planning to keep it as long as it can last. Yes some issues are recurring eg i got the PS & rack overhauled twice, mounts were changed again twice, cooling coil replaced etc and even had the suspension in front overhauled. There are few cars IMHO that can match the Civic's interior quality ,brand name and driving pleasure. I even got the notorious rear sagging issue fixed at the back by adding a Coil spring pad and my Civic's rear no longer droops even with a heavy CNG tank in it. For me it's worth every money i spent on it, inspite of it having a rigged odo, i still love the darn thing. My Civic's true odo today would have been 113000 while it show's 78k on the display. Every time i see the odo i know i have been cheated but still i know it will last long so i am keeping it. Look at Manim's car it has done 1.4 lac, even Ace F355'c Civic did 1.4 lac before he sold it to get a Fortuner.

The Civic is built to last. It Can be done by careful maintenance and some patience and yes a little bit of moolah. If you do these you can keep the Civic for a long time to come. I am hoping to get the new Civic someday, 2020 or later till then unless God has his way, I am keeping my Civic.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 23:20   #7506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
For me it's worth every money i spent on it, inspite of it having a rigged odo, i still love the darn thing. My Civic's true odo today would have been 113000 while it show's 78k on the display. Every time i see the odo i know i have been cheated but still i know it will last long so i am keeping it. Look at Manim's car it has done 1.4 lac, even Ace F355'c Civic did 1.4 lac before he sold it to get a Fortuner.

The Civic is built to last. It Can be done by careful maintenance and some patience and yes a little bit of moolah. If you do these you can keep the Civic for a long time to come. I am hoping to get the new Civic someday, 2020 or later till then unless God has his way, I am keeping my Civic.
I agree. It's still a fabulous car and the design is timeless. 9 years old and it still makes heads turn. The maintenance bill will definitely go up as the car ages but my contact at Ghai Spares says part availability won't be an issue for the next 10 years so that's covered. My Civic has done 1.3 lakh kms and it can still hold its own compared to newer cars. The 1.8 is a gem of an engine. The new Civic will take a couple of years, time to start saving :P
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:14   #7507
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Since availability is an issue and Honda recommends 0w-40 also as per the above picture posted, would it be fine to use Mobil 0w-40 fully synthetic?
As per our PM exchange no issues at all except SAE40 will be about 2-5% less economical on petrol when compared to SAE30.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:21   #7508
Senior - BHPian

Need to get my Civic A/c checked not by HASS folks; does anyone have a view on this place?

https://goo.gl/maps/8RJCntvWyf22

They have a Koramangala location which I understand is quite good; but this one is much closer to my home and hence I'd prefer going here.
Old 24th May 2016, 12:07   #7509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
All diagnostic scans have been run 3 times, it shows no error code as if the car is perfect

The car is now shifted to a nearby high end FNG by my guy. This place only handles mercs/beemers/audi's/range rovers and my civic has been de-prioritized for now. He has promised to open it within a week, lets see how it goes.
So finally after almost 3.5 months, the FNG guy is saying that the ECM is faulty and needs to be replaced and remapped. He is saying 12k for the ECM and 3k for the remap. Just wanted to check if anyone has changed ECM on their civic before and how much did it cost ?
Old 24th May 2016, 12:20   #7510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used Mobil 1 0W40 fully synthetic twice and then switched over to Idemitsu 0W30 for the following reasons:

* I had to procure Mobil 1 from outside and there was always close to 750 ml that used to be returned to me. Didnt know what to do with this everytime.

* Cost was on the higher side since I had to by 4 litres of Mobil 1 while HASS bills you for the exact quantity used for the Idemitsu 0W30

I have so far had 3-4 fills of HASS Idemitsu 0W30 fully synth and dont have any qualms whatsoever. My suggestion would be to book an appointment with HASS just for the oil change and get the job done while waiting there than to make two trips to drop it and pick it up. This is what I do for my car.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 16:47   #7511
BHPian

If I have to top-up Brake and Clutch fluid, Should I used DOT3 or DOT4? Any suggestion on the brand?
Old 27th May 2016, 08:33   #7512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
If I have to top-up Brake and Clutch fluid, Should I used DOT3 or DOT4? Any suggestion on the brand?
DOT4. If you can't get genuine Honda brake fluid, get the store to pick out a reputed brand for you to buy.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 09:09   #7513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bhpians,
My civic needs a new cooling coil. Hass has given a quote of Rs 40k all inclusive.
I thought of giving it to my FNG. Any suggestions? Would FNG's be able to a good job of removing the dashboard and fitting it back?
If the FNG is used to dealing with Hondas it should be much cheaper. I paid around 20k for a cooling coil replacement and other minor AC work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Mumbai (South Mumbai query)

Hi there,

I want a really good aftermarket service facility to service my Honda Civic. Its currently 6 1/2 years and 60,000 kms old and if I want to hang on for another 2 - 3 years then I really want a technically sound GOOD after market service station. Any suggestions? I've been using Jaya Auto at Mahalakshmi for a while but not overly impressed by them. Any other suggestions anyone? I'd like them to be in south mumbai, preferably not beyond mahim or wadala at most towards the suburbs

thanks
You can check out Select Auto, near Ranjit Studio, Dadasaheb Phalke road, Dadar East, run by Mr. Sunil Shanbag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Checked the PS fluid level. Its all fine. Wondering whats that oil / fluid that is depositing all over .
Power steering oil may not show an immediate drop in levels. My Accord has a similar issue and I have to top up the steering oil every couple of months. One bottle of half litre lasts for about six months, so I haven't spent on getting the rack repaired yet.
Old 28th May 2016, 08:27   #7514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If the FNG is used to dealing with Hondas it should be much cheaper. I paid around 20k for a cooling coil replacement and other minor AC work.

You can check out Select Auto, near Ranjit Studio, Dadasaheb Phalke road, Dadar East, run by Mr. Sunil Shanbag.

Power steering oil may not show an immediate drop in levels. My Accord has a similar issue and I have to top up the steering oil every couple of months. One bottle of half litre lasts for about six months, so I haven't spent on getting the rack repaired yet.
A Denso coil here costs around 7-8k max which is pretty reasonable. While getting it replaced, my FNG guy found out that the AC fan was kaput too so got the motor replaced as well.

That's usually how it starts. I had faced a similar issue and the problem kept deteriorating till I had to start topping up every 4-5 days. Then I finally got the PS pump repaired. That lasted for 8 months. Finally it gave in and I had to go for a replacement.

Btw. The PS pump is the only part that is currently hard to source. Atleast in Delhi.
Old 31st May 2016, 23:19   #7515
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone recently replaced the wiper blades? How much do they cost at HASS & do we have any online buying option for the same. After a longish trip, my car needs some attention in the following areas:

1. Needs oil change. Preferably OEM 0w-30.
2. Needs new wiper blades.
3. Cabin light bulb and one backlit switch bulb has gone kaput.
4. Needs alignment; pulling to left side.
5. Planning to put a tube inside rear left tire.

Any advice from members regarding the above?

Regards
Saket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks