Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2016, 19:08   #7426
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Guys,
I am getting a kat sound from the front right suspension of my car. When ever the car goes over a pothole it makes a kat sound, like something is loose. I have taken the car to my mechanic twice and he has opened the right side suspension completely and checked every part and didn't find anything wrong. Every time he has put everything back the noise has reduced to a great extent. It's like almost negligible. But it comes back after driving for few KMs. I have not taken it to Honda coz I am afraid they will change hell lot of stuff without finding the root cause. And my mechanic is very competent. He does engine and suspension of even Lauras. I am confused.
I have the same issue. Open the bonnet. Now open the cover for the bit where the strut is screwed. it'll be right next to the Wiper motor. Check the gap between the metal parts. You'll see that the rubber parts here have worn out and the two metal bits touch each other when you go over bumpy roads. You can change only the kit and not replace the entire strut assembly but in my case, the screw was jammed and we ended up breaking the threading so we had to heat it and break it open.

A competent mechanic can change only the kit and you should be good to go.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 11:39   #7427
BHPian

Bhpians,

Are the spares of the Civic available aftermarket?

I'm asking this because I want to replace certain components of my clutch and want to do it at a FNG.
Old 1st May 2016, 11:55   #7428
BANNED

@petroguzzler; Official not, despite the court rulings. But there are ways, OEM stuff, you may have to find out (mostly mail order), or through friendly local parts dealers. Of course for large ticket items they can be imported.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 12:21   #7429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Bhpians,

Are the spares of the Civic available aftermarket?

I'm asking this because I want to replace certain components of my clutch and want to do it at a FNG.
Most bhpians have the clutch overhauled from FNG rather than HASS including me. So yes clutch can be overhauled from outside with good as oe parts. But what is issues with clutch. In my case my garage guys managed to damage transmission seal during the overhaul so make sure its a good garage.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 14:58   #7430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Most bhpians have the clutch overhauled from FNG rather than HASS including me. So yes clutch can be overhauled from outside with good as oe parts. But what is issues with clutch. In my case my garage guys managed to damage transmission seal during the overhaul so make sure its a good garage.
Thanks for the response sumeet. My clutch judders heavily. In first and reverse gear, juddering is severe. HASS quoted 40K for the job. I thought of getting it done at a FNG. Any opinions?
Old 1st May 2016, 21:35   #7431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response sumeet. My clutch judders heavily. In first and reverse gear, juddering is severe. HASS quoted 40K for the job. I thought of getting it done at a FNG. Any opinions?
How many kms has you car done. I still have a clutch judder inspite of a new clutch but i attribute same to the flywheel skimming done. In my case the clutch was not at fault rather the clutch master and slave cylinder which was the issue. My moron mechanic changed the clutch and skimmed the flywheel leading to the clutch judder. My clutch pedal had sunken in due to leaking cylinders which at first was diagnosed as bad clutch. Go through below thread before making decision.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-overhaul.html
Old 1st May 2016, 21:52   #7432
BHPian

Quote:
How many kms has you car done. I still have a clutch judder inspite of a new clutch but i attribute same to the flywheel skimming done. In my case the clutch was not at fault rather the clutch master and slave cylinder which was the issue. My moron mechanic changed the clutch and skimmed the flywheel leading to the clutch judder. My clutch pedal had sunken in due to leaking cylinders which at first was diagnosed as bad clutch. Go through below thread before making decision.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-overhaul.html
I had asked HASS to look into the clutch judder. They told me that a clutch job would be needed. I had asked my FNG to drive it and he confirmed the same. However I am not sure on what needs to be changed.

The car has done about 37k kms. I bought it pre owned about 2 months back.

The main irritant is that the car requires substantial accelerator input to move forward and it would simply not get going with half clutch.
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:54   #7433
BHPian

So, it's time for me to move on from the civic since I have recently bought and SUV. Car's in excellent condition, listed in the team-bhp classifieds. I would prefer to pass it onto a fellow enthusiast.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...da/Civic.html/
Old 2nd May 2016, 23:06   #7434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had asked HASS to look into the clutch judder. They told me that a clutch job would be needed. I had asked my FNG to drive it and he confirmed the same. However I am not sure on what needs to be changed.

The car has done about 37k kms. I bought it pre owned about 2 months back.

The main irritant is that the car requires substantial accelerator input to move forward and it would simply not get going with half clutch.
37k the clutch should not need overhaul.i hope the odo is not rigged as it was in my case. Kindly verify service history and see all last services done and check if the odo reading is in sync. If clutch really needs a overhaul make sure its genuine oe parts from outside. It should not cost you more than 13k.
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:17   #7435
BHPian

This relates to quality of painting done by FNG. I had got my Civic's rear bumper repaint ed by FNG few months back. Recently, I happened to back too far while parking and the rear bumper hit a tree trunk. On looking closely, I couldn't see any damage to the bumper. However later I noticed fine cracks on the bumper's painted surface. When I enquired with the FNG, he told that its normal. I believe this wouldn't have happened in case the bumper had the factory original paint. But not sure about it.

Look forward to inputs.
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:43   #7436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
However later I noticed fine cracks on the bumper's painted surface.
It's quite normal. It's due to the filler / putty used by the painters to prepare the surface cracking up under pressure or on impact.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 13:08   #7437
BHPian

Quote:
37k the clutch should not need overhaul.i hope the odo is not rigged as it was in my case. Kindly verify service history and see all last services done and check if the odo reading is in sync. If clutch really needs a overhaul make sure its genuine oe parts from outside. It should not cost you more than 13k.
I have verified the service history of the car at the dealership and it was in sync. It was driven in chennai regularly where the traffic is the thickest.
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:57   #7438
BHPian

Quote:
I was going through your ownership thread. You mentioned that you car had its odo rigged. I did not recall seeing any post like that. How did you discover that it has been rigged?
Old 3rd May 2016, 18:53   #7439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Very likely that the rubber components of the suspension have worn out and need replacement.

However, these days, if you are within a 100 metre radius of an authorized Honda dealer and they catch you talking about suspension issues, you will be asked to replace the entire setup for Rs. 45,000.

When I gave my Civic for 85000 km service, the advisor has mentioned in the bill that suspension was "week" and verbally told me that it needed replacement. Since my Civic was riding perfectly with no sounds, I took it my friendly wheel alignment guy and asked him to check out the suspension. It looked perfect.

I was told that service advisors (all car companies) have "revenue targets" to meet, and they get especially hyper when its month end. Is there any truth to this?

It is true about revenue targets. They have been after my PS, Clutch ever since I completed 25K Kms .

Walk into Dakshin Honda Service managers cabin, the targets used to be written on a board
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 05:03   #7440
BHPian

Does anyone know if Honda service centres stock mud flaps or I will have to order one ? If available will I have to get it painted or you get them ready to fit. What should be the cost. Also will they sell me single piece or I will have to buy a set ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks