Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2014, 14:32   #5881
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Of late, I have been facing issues with the low-end throttle response of the Civic. I don't know if it's related to my driving or if it's an inherent problem with the engine, but there is a lot of stuttering and jerking in first gear. This occurs predominantly when I start moving after being stationary and also occasionally at high speeds during gear changes when there is a moment of lag and a little jerk.

I remember having this problem when I bought the car and wasn't used to the poor low-end response of the i-VTEC engine. Now, it seems to have come back to haunt me again. Should I get the ignition coils inspected or would it be a coil failure requiring a full replacement?
Old 19th October 2014, 15:01   #5882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post

I remember having this problem when I bought the car and wasn't used to the poor low-end response of the i-VTEC engine. Now, it seems to have come back to haunt me again. Should I get the ignition coils inspected or would it be a coil failure requiring a full replacement?
When was the last time the Air Filter was cleaned or changed?
Before going to the extreme step of replacing parts try the following-
clean the Throttle body,
clean MAF, (above the air filter box) if you can not DIY go to a FNG and get this done.
Clean Throttle Position Sensor.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 17:14   #5883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
When was the last time the Air Filter was cleaned or changed?
It was in July during the last service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
clean the Throttle body,
clean MAF, (above the air filter box) if you can not DIY go to a FNG and get this done.
Clean Throttle Position Sensor.
Thanks for the tip. I will have these in mind the next time I visit an independent garage. Finding one is on the agenda for several months now and I guess I will have to hasten the search now.
Old 20th October 2014, 11:43   #5884
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I was wondering if it is wise to buy a used Civic now when it is discontinued since last 2 years? Are availability if spares a problem? And what are the areas that I should look for while inspecting a Civic for purchase? What is the hierarchy of different trims/ variants of the Civic?

Thanks in anticipation of advice,
Saket.
Old 20th October 2014, 11:59   #5885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
It was in July during the last service.

Thanks for the tip. I will have these in mind the next time I visit an independent garage. Finding one is on the agenda for several months now and I guess I will have to hasten the search now.
Once u clean the throttle body there is a electronic valve thingy which needs to be reset by the honda diagnostic device else the idle rpm goes off the normal mark.After getting the cleaning done ask for a ecu reset to be done via the hds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Dear BHPians,

I was wondering if it is wise to buy a used Civic now when it is discontinued since last 2 years? Are availability if spares a problem? And what are the areas that I should look for while inspecting a Civic for purchase? What is the hierarchy of different trims/ variants of the Civic?

Thanks in anticipation of advice,
Saket.
No issue with spares.Check for engine mount issue and saggy suspension Avoid pre 2009 models.Go for facelifted version only.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 12:08   #5886
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
No issue with spares.Check for engine mount issue and saggy suspension Avoid pre 2009 models.Go for facelifted version only.
Thanks for the advice. What are the main differences between pre & post 2009 models? And kindly if you can let me know the different variants of Civic.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 20th October 2014, 12:24   #5887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. What are the main differences between pre & post 2009 models? And kindly if you can let me know the different variants of Civic.

Thanks,
Saket
Main differences as per my knowledge are as follows. I may be missing something here. Others may be able to fill in.

Exterior:
1. Slightly different (thicker) chrome lip on front
2. Hexagonal shaped lights on the rear instead of round

Interior:
1. USB port comes standard for audio system (was not available earlier)
2. CD player downgraded to a single disk player (instead of 6 earlier)

Other:
1. Suspension is claimed to be fine tuned (stiffened) a bit in post-2009 models. Though this cannot be verified yet.

Trim levels available for post 2009 models were S, V and V-AT. S trim did not come with fog lamps, had fabric seats and some other missing features. V and V-AT have leather seats, fog lamps and V-AT has 5 speed automatic transmission with paddle shifts.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 14:10   #5888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Saket
Newer version also had cruise control and steering mounted audio controls.Also the engine mount issue is less in the newer version though owners of the new model could confirm this.

Also check for power steering and rack issues which could creep up.If you zero in a car take it to honda service station and get a thorough check up done.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 18:12   #5889
BANNED

Quote:
Newer version also had cruise control and steering mounted audio controls.
Mine is June 2010, no steering audio controls, even though my 2012 Brio AT has them. Cruise is a boon on the YE.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 11:14   #5890
Senior - BHPian

Of late, I've been facing issues with the civic at higher rpms. The car sounds the same while idling but as I accelerate, and let go of the accelerator, there is a harsh engine note, which is a lot different than the smooth engine note that the car used to make when revved. There is no difference in performance/ mileage but the change in the engine note has me worried.

The car got back from the 1,00,000 kms service last month.

Point to declare: The day before this issue started, my car had got stuck in a ditch and I had to revv the engine hard to get it out. That could have contributed to the issue?
Old 21st October 2014, 15:25   #5891
BHPian

Quote:
Did you get the car back ? Dying to know the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
I have decided to give my car over to Jatin for a list of niggles that have been pending since I bought my used Civic S AT (2006 model).
So I finally got all my car troubles fixed from Jatin which concluded yesterday (WagenWerkz @ Saki Naka). I changed my battery, shocks, brake pads, etc that were recommended by Jatin himself after checking the car along with a regular service. Total Bill was a whopping 75.5k, but I hope this would make my car niggle free for a while.

I have posted a detailed break up of prices charged and brief experience with Jatin on his classifieds thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ml#post3561503

p.s: A stone hit the car plastic engine cover at the bottom today morning and it seems to be broken / has come off (similar to pics posted by another member on previous page). So I now again need to go back and fix this plus check for leaks if any - my troubles with this car just dont stop

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 21st October 2014 at 15:29.
salunkhe.vizz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 18:18   #5892
BHPian

Question to civic owners/ oil experts in general.

Can i use Shell Helix HX5 15W-40 (API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3) on my civic ? I mean is it mandatory to use less that 15W for our climate ?
Old 21st October 2014, 18:46   #5893
BHPian

Finally I have sold my 2010 i20 Diesel and gave token for a 2010 Jan Civic V-MT which has done a little less than 19000 Kms. Car is in excellent condition.

I would be changing the oil to fully synthetic initially. Shell Helix would be fine or is there any better suggestion from Mobil 1? Please suggest the right gauge.

I have heard mixed reviews about Whitefield Honda in Bangalore. Do they encourage carrying the engine oil and getting in changed? Please suggest if there's any better place for oil change and general check ups. Thanks in Advance.
Old 22nd October 2014, 00:46   #5894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
I would be changing the oil to fully synthetic initially. Shell Helix would be fine or is there any better suggestion from Mobil 1? Please suggest the right gauge.
I am using shell Helix Ultra 5W 40 in my Civic and its good and smooth enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
Question to civic owners/ oil experts in general.

Can i use Shell Helix HX5 15W-40 (API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3) on my civic ? I mean is it mandatory to use less that 15W for our climate ?
15W 40 is fine if you running CNG. Else i think it's 10W 30 for mineral.
Old 22nd October 2014, 08:03   #5895
BHPian

Quote:
I am using shell Helix Ultra 5W 40 in my Civic and its good and smooth enough.
Any specific reason for not using Idemitsu Synthetic ? I have been using Idemitsu and found no issues so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks