Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 19:52   #9271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Fuel filter at HASS will cost 4.5K +. They actually replace the whole fuel filter housing that is made of plastic.

However, you can order just the strainer from aliexpress (search for "Honda Civic Fuel Filter". You will see just the strainer element (shaped like a triangle).

Though a bit cumbersome, it saves quite a bit of money. And that too if you are not sure if the fuel filter is the problem. You may end up replacing it at HASS even though it may not be the cause of your problem.

Rgds

Vineet
Last year the fuel filter/strainer was changed in my Civic. It was a huge drum kind of stuff. What was that ?
Old 12th March 2019, 09:09   #9272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Last year the fuel filter/strainer was changed in my Civic. It was a huge drum kind of stuff. What was that ?
That was the whole plastic housing for the fuel filter. I guess you are talking about the one that is made of white plastic.

Rgds
Old 16th March 2019, 17:46   #9273
Senior - BHPian

I'd got the fuel filter changed at 69000 kms. The odo is currently at 196000 kms. The car purrs on without incident so I don't really think it's worth replacing at the moment.

Took her all the way from Delhi to Auli, uttarakhand last week of Feb. Handled the curves pretty easily. Luckily there wasn't much snow on the road on the higher reaches of the himalayas.

I would be lying if I'd said I wasn't worried a tad bit about taking a 12 year old car and driving it for 1300 kms to the mountains. Did its bit to convince a few people that the new Honda Civic should be their next car
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 13:06   #9274

Hello civic fans

My car has just about crossed 76k and runs like a dream. It seems to be bottoming out a bit more than normal, plus a bit of squeak. That apart there is no bouncing around....My FNG guy is still inspecting the complete front and rear suspension but feels that front struts need replacement.

1. How can I tell for sure if struts need replacement or could it be mounts or coil overs? I have read some earlier articles on this from @lakuks and others, however Im still not clear.

2. If shocks do need replacement, do i change mounts too? What's a good place in chennai for genuine suspension parts n struts? I don't want to go for the Munjal showa OEM for 35K. Any reliable and cost effective alternatives?

Any thoughts and leads appreciated.

Regards,
Old 17th March 2019, 20:43   #9275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshots View Post
Hello civic fans

1. How can I tell for sure if struts need replacement or could it be mounts or coil overs? I have read some earlier articles on this from @lakuks and others, however Im still not clear.

2. If shocks do need replacement, do i change mounts too? What's a good place in chennai for genuine suspension parts n struts? I don't want to go for the Munjal showa OEM for 35K. Any reliable and cost effective alternatives?

Any thoughts and leads appreciated.

Regards,
You can check the shocks for leaks. You can also do the bounce test by pushing down on the corners of the car. An inaccurate method is to put your palm above the top of your cars tyre and note the width between the fender and the tyre and then do the same on the other side. This might give a rough estimate as to which side is sagging. For the spares goto spareshub.com and you will be able to order decent quality spares at a good price.
Old 17th March 2019, 22:54   #9276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You can check the shocks for leaks. You can also do the bounce test by pushing down on the corners of the car. An inaccurate method is to put your palm above the top of your cars tyre and note the width between the fender and the tyre and then do the same on the other side. This might give a rough estimate as to which side is sagging. For the spares goto spareshub.com and you will be able to order decent quality spares at a good price.

Sagging is not a result of poor shocks, but poor springs or worn bushes in the suspension

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 23:13   #9277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Sagging is not a result of poor shocks, but poor springs or worn bushes in the suspension

Jeroen
I don't think the springs are sold separately atleast not branded one's so I guess one will have to replace the entire assembly ie shocks + springs.
Old 20th March 2019, 00:32   #9278
BHPian

My Civic is stalling when its high temperature outside after a run. Really frustrated with this problem now. I never faced this problem in any other seasons. It starts fine after 5 minutes. But, stalls like for 3 to 4 times once the problem arises. Any thoughts? The coolant level is fine. Can it be due to clogged radiator outside due to dust, etc. I observed whenever I came via a service road, this problem starts happening. Also, adulterated fuel can be a suspect? Thanks.
Old 20th March 2019, 00:56   #9279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_hurkat View Post
My Civic is stalling when its high temperature outside after a run. Really frustrated with this problem now. I never faced this problem in any other seasons. It starts fine after 5 minutes. But, stalls like for 3 to 4 times once the problem arises. Any thoughts? The coolant level is fine. Can it be due to clogged radiator outside due to dust, etc. I observed whenever I came via a service road, this problem starts happening. Also, adulterated fuel can be a suspect? Thanks.
List of probable culprits:

1) Fuel pump motor
2) Main fuses loose getting heated(depends on the general condition of your vehicle wiring)
3) Some electrical gremlin that needs a scantool diagnosis.
4) Engine timing issue

There is a lot of speculation as a lot of other symptoms have to be taken into consideration at the time of the problem occurance. Like, are there any tell-tale warning lights showing when it happens, are there any rodent related issues, clogging of air filter with a foreign object, etc.
Old 20th March 2019, 01:01   #9280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
List of probable culprits:

1) Fuel pump motor
2) Main fuses loose getting heated(depends on the general condition of your vehicle wiring)
3) Some electrical gremlin that needs a scantool diagnosis.
4) Engine timing issue

There is a lot of speculation as a lot of other symptoms have to be taken into consideration at the time of the problem occurance. Like, are there any tell-tale warning lights showing when it happens, are there any rodent related issues, clogging of air filter with a foreign object, etc.
Hmmm, FNG suspects fuel pump motor too. I may have to check for any ground issues. The crank is fine but the car doesn't starts. It only happens when car is on a traffic signal or in very low revs. There are no rodent issues in my parking. Let me go to FNG this week and have them do a detailed scan for the car. It only happen in Summers- quite strange.
Old 20th March 2019, 20:44   #9281
BHPian

Quote:
My Civic is stalling when its high temperature outside after a run. Really frustrated with this problem now. Thanks.
Something similar happened to my civic once few years back, was on way back from Greater Noida in the month of june, the temperature outside was like 48-49 degrees, had to detour and use service lane which had lots of fine dust, for around half n hour or so.

Once I was back on main road the vehicle started loosing power, in addition to air conditioner shutting itself off.The instrument cluster didnt displayed high temperature or any other warning.

I immediately parked the car to check if the coolant was low or leaking, but all was fine. Took off the air filter, but even that was not clogged. I decided to drive it back to the HASS (Gurgaon) as the car had underwent regular service just two days back.

Limped back to Gurgaon at pace of 20-30 km/hr, without air conditioner and open windows and guess what while I was around 5 kms away from HASs, it started driving normally (no misfires, ac started pumping cool air) as if nothing happened.

Showed the vehicle to the HASS people and explained what had happened, they put the car on diagnostics and confirmed everything was normal there were no blown fuses, nothing wrong with radiator, fans were fine, no wire was chipped by rodents or otherwise, fuel pump and filter were also found to be working fine.

I am assuming somehow the fine dust clogged the radiator/air filter (though I checked the air filter and radiator) but still cant figure out what actually caused that incident.

Apologies for such a long post.

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 20th March 2019 at 20:57. Reason: Fixed a typo.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 20:51   #9282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Something similar happened to my civic once few years back, was on way back from Greater Noida in the month of june, the temperature outside was like 48-49 degrees, had to detour and use service lane which had lots of fine dust, for around half n hour or so.

Once I was back on main road the vehicle started loosing power, in addition to air conditioner shutting itself off.The instrument cluster didnt displayed high temperature or any other warning.

I immediately parked the car to check if the coolant was low or leaking, but all was fine. Took off the air filter, but even that was not clogged. I decided to drive it back to the HASS (Gurgaon) as the car had underwent regular service just two days back.

Limped back to Gurgaon at pace of 20-30 km/hr, without air conditioner and open windows and guess what while I was around 5 kms away from HASs, it started driving normally (no misfires, ac started pumping cool air) as if nothing happened.

Showed the vehicle to the HASS people and explained what had happened, they put the car on diagnostics and confirmed everything was normal there were no blown fuses, nothing wrong with raditor, fans were fine, no wire was chipped by rodents or otherwise, fuel pump and filter were also found to be working fine.

I am assuming somehow the fine dust clogged the radiator/air filter (though I checked the air filter and radiator) but still cant figure out what actually caused that incident.

Apologies for such a long post.
Yes, exactly same is happening with me. The FNG says it is normal and see no issues of stalling. For my satisfaction, they said we can replace fuel motor. But, still I haven't said yes. Did you cleaned radiator, etc? How you cleaned? I kind of cleaned it from my water pipe in the parking. Also, did the problem came again? Thanks. It's lame but I feel kind of satisfied that I am not alone who faced same issue :-)
pavan_hurkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 21:25   #9283
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, exactly same is happening with me. The FNG says it is normal and see no issues of stalling. For my satisfaction, they said we can replace fuel motor. But, still I haven't said yes. Did you cleaned radiator, etc? How you cleaned? I kind of cleaned it from my water pipe in the parking. Also, did the problem came again? Thanks. It's lame but I feel kind of satisfied that I am not alone who faced same issue :-)
I got the car pressure washed at HASS on that day itself, stayed with the cleaning staff till the time they were through cleaning it.

Also took the car to FNG after 2-3 days and directed them to thoroughly clean the front of radiator and condensor just to be doubly sure.

This was the solo incident of this sort, till the time I had it with me.
Old 21st March 2019, 08:33   #9284
BHPian

Sounds like symptom of bad battery or loose battery connection. Worse case - worn out alternator.

For spare parts, see if you can find it on Boodmo

Last edited by aerohit : 21st March 2019 at 08:36.
Old 28th March 2019, 13:24   #9285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Sounds like symptom of bad battery or loose battery connection. Worse case - worn out alternator.

For spare parts, see if you can find it on Boodmo
The car cranks fine. And electronics run without any issue. Do you feel it's symptom of bad battery? The battery in my car was installed in 2015. Also, I see some green powder formation near the terminal.

Most Viewed