Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2018, 13:44   #8986
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Guys,

How many KMs does it take for the new break pads to bed in. I changed both front and rear break pads on my Civic since the previous ones had enough life left but the bite was just pathetic. Now the new pads are even worse. The breaks are spongy and it takes lot of efforts to stop the car. Earlier it was like you touch the break padel and the car used to stop immediately. I have driven 300 KMs after new break pads. I got breambo pads and got all four discs skimmed. Please let me know what can I do to get the same break feel what it used to be earlier.
One should use a clamp or a tool to push the caliper piston back into the caliper so it can accommodate the new pads. But many mechanics drain the fluid using the bleed screw to push the piston(s) back in. The advantage is it needs no special tools and the disadvantage is you could get an air bubble in the lines which affects the braking performance.

If you have not done a fluid flush recently (in the past 2-3 years) I would suggest you get the entire system flushed and bled. That should improve your car's brake performance.

Also, the rear brake piston in cars with rear disc brakes + disc brake parking activator needs to be pushed+screwed in not just pushed in. These require special tools.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 20:17   #8987
BHPian

My routine 11 year service was done yesterday.

I was recommended to change the 'Front Caliper Kit' on my next service.
Anyone has more details of this?

Car is as usual silky smooth!
(I have to drive 140x2 kms from my house to the service-center at Madurai which are mostly good 4-lane roads).

Whenever I feel the urge to replace this ageing car, a ride on the 4-lane puts my mind at peace. I want to hold-on to this car for at-least 15 years, maybe more by renewing its RC
Old 25th February 2018, 20:32   #8988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I was recommended to change the 'Front Caliper Kit' on my next service. Anyone has more details of this?
A 'kit' is different from an 'assembly'. A "kit" comprises of the pin boots, caliper pins, pin bolts and sundry parts that degrade with time.

While the "assembly" comprises of the 'kit' + piston, seals, and other installation hardware sometimes including a lubricant like caliper grease i.e. the whole hog.

Definitions of kit and assembly change from manufacturer to manufacturer but the point I am trying to make is you need to be absolutely sure about what they recommend replacing and why. Or you could wind up with a bill shock.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 23:37   #8989
BHPian

Quote:
My routine 11 year service was done yesterday.

I was recommended to change the 'Front Caliper Kit' on my next service.
Anyone has more details of this?

Car is as usual silky smooth!
(I have to drive 140x2 kms from my house to the service-center at Madurai which are mostly good 4-lane roads).

Whenever I feel the urge to replace this ageing car, a ride on the 4-lane puts my mind at peace. I want to hold-on to this car for at-least 15 years, maybe more by renewing its RC
How much did the service cost?
Old 26th February 2018, 12:55   #8990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
How much did the service cost?
Basic Service with oil change - Rs.3,675
AT-Fluid - Rs.1,290
Fuel-filter - Rs.5,402
Front License plate replaced (it had broken) - Rs.866

Total of Rs.11,233

Fuel-filter was not a must since there was less running, but I insisted since it is more than two years old.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 23:40   #8991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
One should use a clamp or a tool to push the caliper piston back into the caliper so it can accommodate the new pads. But many mechanics drain the fluid using the bleed screw to push the piston(s) back in. The advantage is it needs no special tools and the disadvantage is you could get an air bubble in the lines which affects the braking performance.

If you have not done a fluid flush recently (in the past 2-3 years) I would suggest you get the entire system flushed and bled. That should improve your car's brake performance.

Also, the rear brake piston in cars with rear disc brakes + disc brake parking activator needs to be pushed+screwed in not just pushed in. These require special tools.

Thanks for the info R2D2,

Will Honda take the request for break bleeding only & how much should they charge for the same, if you have any idea. Crossed 400 KMs and the breaks are just pathetic.
Old 27th February 2018, 08:11   #8992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fuel-filter - Rs.5,402
Is it easy to source the fuel filter? What's the interval for one to replace it?
Old 27th February 2018, 09:28   #8993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will Honda take the request for break bleeding only & how much should they charge for the same, if you have any idea. Crossed 400 KMs and the breaks are just pathetic.
Yes, a Honda ASC can do this task for you. I just got my car's (a 10 Gen Corolla Altis) brake fluid flush done at Toyota's ASC last month..mid Jan '18. It cost me about Rs 900 for labour and the brake fluid. Very reasonable. Honda will have different labour and part pricing. Please check before you give them your car for this job.

I do not believe in compromises on safety. So there are 2 parts of a car that I absolutely refuse take risks with. They are the brakes and tyres. Lives depend on them. I would strongly recommend giving your car to an ASC for a brake job they have the skills, tools and parts to do this critical job perfectly.

PS - Get this service done ASAP. A brake system performing at sub-par levels is dangerous not just to the driver/passengers in the car but others on the road.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th February 2018 at 09:37. Reason: Added PS
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 10:20   #8994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Is it easy to source the fuel filter? What's the interval for one to replace it?
40k kms or two-years, whichever is earlier.

I don't know why the Civic's FuelFilter is so costly though.
All ASS should stock it.

Since my running was only 22k kms (but 2 years 8 months), the SA said it was not necessary to replace it. But my trust in our country's fuel quality made me replace it

Last edited by manim : 27th February 2018 at 10:29.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 10:42   #8995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info R2D2,

You have gotten some good advice. Get the entire fluid flushed and refilled followed by brake bleeding. If you get the brake calipers greased, again so much better.
This should solve the problem. Hope that the brake pads are genuine 'Brembo' ones and are installed correctly. I read a post on the forum itself where some one had the brake pads installed inside out and that was the culprit. Read on...

Quote:
I just got my car's (a 10 Gen Corolla Altis) brake fluid flush done at Toyota's ASC last month..mid Jan '18. It cost me about Rs 900 for labour and the brake fluid. Very reasonable. Honda will have different labour and part pricing.
I got the brake fluid flushed and brake bleeding done at Honda (for my Civic) few months back. They charged Rs. 1200/- for the same.

Quote:
I do not believe in compromises on safety. So there are 2 parts of a car that I absolutely refuse take risks with. They are the brakes and tyres. Lives depend on them. I would strongly recommend giving your car to an ASC for a brake job they have the skills, tools and parts to do this critical job perfectly.

PS - Get this service done ASAP. A brake system performing at sub-par levels is dangerous not just to the driver/passengers in the car but others on the road.
Golden words!
I'm often ridiculed for replacing 'just fine' looking tires by friends and relatives and I am amused at their ignorance. I take that opportunity to educate them on the subject.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 27th February 2018 at 10:43.
Old 27th February 2018, 11:08   #8996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
In most of the countries the change interval is 1 lakh kilometers, for India proactively Honda has advised 40K.

I had taken a chance and had a test. The only time I changed it was in 40K. I have filled at multiple outlets all across the country, good/bad/average petrol filled. When I sold it at 160K it was 120K before a fuel filter change. I have told it to the buyer as a part that he could probably change in his mandatory first service for his comfort.

Having said that, our fuel in the country is not so bad, if you fill in probably good outlets where majority of the people keep filling, nor this frequency a mandate. Its a piece of proactive advice Honda has offered for us to be careful.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 11:19   #8997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I'm often ridiculed for replacing 'just fine' looking tires by friends and relatives and I am amused at their ignorance. I take that opportunity to educate them on the subject.
I replaced my hardly used made in Italy Michelin Primacy LC tyres because a tyre dealer I trust told me there were small cracks in the tread and sidewall. Even I had not spotted this problem.

He recommended replacements at the earliest since I use my car mostly on the highway. No prizes for guessing why all warning bells went off in my head.

For about 34K I replaced all 5 perfectly good (to the untrained eye) Michelin PLC tyres with Primacy 3 ST.

Considering just one headlamp assembly (HID version) costs me, hold your breath, > Rs 73K EACH (!!) Corolla Altis LHS HID Headlamp assembly I'd say it's money well spent.

Money aside it is a matter of avoiding accident injuries and saving lives - of me and my family and others on the road. Explained to the wife who signed off on the expense immediately.

PS - I didn't buy my tyres from the bloke I referred to above. He doesn't deal in Michelin so he had no commercial interest in advising replacements. But he's been my go to tyre chap since the early '90s for my bikes and cars. A relationship built over decades came to my rescue.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th February 2018 at 11:26. Reason: added PS
Old 27th February 2018, 13:31   #8998
BHPian

Quote:
40k kms or two-years, whichever is earlier.

I don't know why the Civic's FuelFilter is so costly though.
All ASS should stock it.

Since my running was only 22k kms (but 2 years 8 months), the SA said it was not necessary to replace it. But my trust in our country's fuel quality made me replace it
Fuel filter is costly as it is a complete assembly of plastic, filter elements etc., unlike other vehicle fuel filters that are "in-line" type of small cylindrical components.

Ring Road Honda gurgaon did not have it in stock. But got it in 3-4 days. If you are scheduling a service that required fuel filter change, suggest you call ahead and ask them to order the part

They are not available outside, AFAIK. Were not available in the USA on various honda parts websites.

But it really gets dirty in 40k kms. So best to change it on schedule.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 21:00   #8999
Senior - BHPian

Guys having above problem. Any help appreciated. Switched off car for five minutes and restarted. Stuck idle resolved but CEL is on. Taking car to Honda tomorrow.
Old 27th February 2018, 21:33   #9000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys having above problem. Any help appreciated. Switched off car for five minutes and restarted. Stuck idle resolved but CEL is on. Taking car to Honda tomorrow.
Best wishes.

Do keep us informed of the outcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks