Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 25th October 2017, 16:22   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,00,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Meanwhile still sitting on the fence whether to fix the CNG or not even at today's fuel prices heart does not want to go back to run the Civic on the alternate fuel. .......
Dear Sumeet,

Heartiest Congratulations on this landmark occasion. Wish you many many more miles.

Also, are you not on CNG?

When and why did the switch back to petrol happen?

Sorry to have missed your switch back related posts.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 21:24   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Dear Sumeet,

Heartiest Congratulations on this landmark occasion. Wish you many many more miles.

Also, are you not on CNG?

When and why did the switch back to petrol happen?

Sorry to have missed your switch back related posts.
Thanks, The CNG kit has been kaput for the last 3 - 4 months. Running on Petrol as of now. The kit is still installed in the car.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 08:09   #258
Senior - BHPian

Had given the car to Honda for a brake and a clutch oil change. Both the oils had become dirty and warranted a change. Also got a inspection of the mounts done and Honda came back saying that the main front mount had become weak *again*. I guess even the re-designed mount is no good.

The total bill came to ~ 1200 Rs. I have seen a improvement in the brake feel. Earlier the brakes felt a bit weak but the pedal feel has improved significantly. The pads were inspected and were found to be adequate and did not need a change. Meanwhile I am exploring after market mounts instead of Honda's 10k wallet eater since it did not last as much as it was expected.

Edit: Also got the throttle body cleaned and idle learning done via the HDS scan. The car was having idle issues especially while coming to a stop which has been resolved now.

After the clutch and brake oil I observed significant improvement in the clutch and brake pedal feel. Didn't know such a simple and cheap job could prove so effective in improving the driving factor.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,00,000 km up!-bill.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 10th November 2017 at 08:10.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 09:26   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After the clutch and brake oil I observed significant improvement in the clutch and brake pedal feel. Didn't know such a simple and cheap job could prove so effective in improving the driving factor.
My experience mirrors yours. My car went through its first brake fluid change when it was about 5-6 years old, luckily Pune has low humidity except in the monsoons. Nevertheless the difference in clutch and brake feel was noticeable immediately. IMO changing the brake/clutch fluid every 3-4 years is a good practice for Pune weather. For more humid climes it may require more frequent replacement. The last thing one needs is rusting or moisture in the brake system.

My car will have the same service done during its annual service later this month or next.
R2D2 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 11:20   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had given the car to Honda for a brake and a clutch oil change. Both the oils had become dirty and warranted a change.

The total bill came to ~ 1200 Rs. I have seen a improvement in the brake feel. Earlier the brakes felt a bit weak but the pedal feel has improved significantly. The pads were inspected and were found to be adequate and did not need a change. Meanwhile I am exploring after market mounts instead of Honda's 10k wallet eater since it did not last as much as it was expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
IMO changing the brake/clutch fluid every 3-4 years is a good practice for Pune weather. For more humid climes it may require more frequent replacement. The last thing one needs is rusting or moisture in the brake system.
My Civic had the clutch and brake fluid changed last month. Received an identical bill amount.

What I must add is that I had gotten that changed after more than 3 years. Although the oil looked clean in the brake/ clutch oil reservoir in the top, but it wasn't so inside. This we got to know when they pumped the clutch pedal while bleeding it. During pumping the same, the clutch pedal sank completely and refused to come up. We suspected a jammed clutch master cylinder and it was taken out. After opening it completely, a lot of brown muck came out; nothing like the clear fluid that was in the reservoir. It had rusted the metal spring inside and the spring had broken from 2-3 points; reason for clutch pedal not returning back.

A new master cylinder costs Rs. 6K at Honda, they arranged a spring and charged Rs. 1500/- for the same. Lesson learnt, changed the fluid in every 2 to 2.5 years.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 11:44   #261
Senior - BHPian

@saket77, your experience just proves one thing - we car owners should worry more about what can't see than what we can see. There are so many parts in a car that aren't visible but those parts experience wear & tear or even corrosion as you experienced with the spring in the clutch MC.

Observing (or exceeding) manufacturer recommended maintenance schedules is a sure way to extend the life of those parts and experience trouble free service.
R2D2 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote