Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2012, 13:26   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd & Completed 80k on the odo

Drive to Lonavla.

Finally it happened.I was wanting to take the car for a long drive for quite some time.Several constraints prevent me from
going too far so i was quite happy when my friend and i decide to go on a trip to Lonavla which is not very far but
neverthless is be a enjoyable drive.

I left home on saturday (6 oct) @ 8:05 AM.I filled in petrol in the Civic with about 2500 bucks of fuel which came to 33.2
litres approx.Checked in air pressure but as i had just filled in air a week ago as expected the attendant only checked the pressure without filling in much air.Also paid a visit to the local temple as i usually pay a visit on every sat and sun.

I had to pick up my friend from Airoli.Reached there at his place at around 9:30AM.The drive to Lonavla from Airoli is pretty simple in the sense one has to keep going straight and avoid any flyovers which would take you to
Vashi.We must have hit the expressway at around 10:35 AM as there were some traffic jams on the way.Once on the highway
it was a pleasurable cruise all the way.

As expected the car is a dream to drive.Speeds varied from 80-95 KMPH with the needle hovering at 2-2.5K RPMS.It was steady at 2.5K when @90 KMPH.Occassinally on a flat and straiht road i would find the car crossing the ton mark but keeping speed limits & safety in mind i reduced speed to around 80-90.The car is very stable at that range unlike my oldie 800 which tends to bob up and down when it reached the 80KMPH mark.

We drove to Tiger point and if you have been there then you would know that are many steep inclines and curves.When i reached the first incline,please note that this was the 1st time i had driven the car on a proper Ghat section in the period that i have owned this Car,i sought of fumbled.I assumed the car won't make the steep curve in second and sloted in 1st.There was some clutch slipping and some high rpm revving as i manage to somehow take the curve.On the second steep curve i figured the car would take it in second gear itself and i mananged to breeze past same and the rest that followed.I don't know how other people drive their Civic's but i took most of the ghat section in second and thirds for most of the time.In total there were 4 passengers and the a/c was on.May be some of you could share your experiences on the twisties.But one thing is for sure the car is absolutely fun to drive around the bends.

We visted a couple points and also the wax musuem.The same has many life like celebrity statues and one could feel as the person would suddenly come alive and start talking.Even the eyes of some of the statues were life like.We headed back home at around 3:30 PM after lunch at Mac Donalds and suprisingly found little traffic in front of us.May be 3:30 is the right time to leave back to mumbai from Lonavla.We also encountered heavy showers on the way back but felt safe and comfortable in the
Civic's cabin.The wipers did their job well but have become noisy.contrary to what some people say i found the wiper design to be quite effective where the glass area cleared is more than in a standard configuration.Only when the wiper speed was set it to it's lowest speed did the water from the top of the glass flowed down occassionaly.

Total distance traveled was 256 kms.I am guestimating the FE to be atleast around 15KMPL as out of the fuel pumped in approximately half has been used up.Not bad for a 1.8L sedan.Below are some pics of the trip.I hope you like them.

At the turn to the Airoli-Mlund bridge.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-1airoli.jpg

Approaching one of the tunnels.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-2tunell.jpg

Inside the tunnel.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-3tunnel3.jpg

At one of the points
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-4point.jpg

Breathing fresh air for the first time with me.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-5photo0491.jpg

Can't help notice the litter people throw admist all the beautiful surroundings.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-7photo0496.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-6photo0495.jpg

Monkeys watching humans :-)
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-8photo0497.jpg

Camels avaiable for a ride @ 100 bucks for adults.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-9photo0502.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-10photo0503.jpg
Old 7th October 2012, 13:32   #122
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-13photo0521.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-14photo0522.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-15photo0523.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-16photo0528.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-17photo0536.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-18photo0537.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-19photo0540.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th October 2012 at 16:26.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 15:40   #123
BHPian

Hi Sumeet,

Pl do not forget to give the detailed break up of your 40 K service charges.

P.S - when will it be due?

Last edited by skdking : 7th October 2012 at 15:41.
Old 7th October 2012, 19:19   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Drive to Lonavla.
Ah, at last, you have taken the Civic to where it belongs to. As you rightly said, we get to experience the true pleasures of owning this car only on the highways and am glad that you finally did it.
Quote:
On the second steep curve i figured the car would take it in second gear itself and i mananged to breeze past same and the rest that followed.I don't know how other people drive their Civic's but i took most of the ghat section in second and thirds for most of the time.
I have driven my car to many places in South India like Coorg, Masinagudi, Bandipur and Mudumalai, all of them involving ghat sections. In most cases, the second gear is good enough to emerge from a steep incline without stalling the car. Only on certain occasions, I was forced to use first gear.
Quote:
We visted a couple points and also the wax musuem.
That reminds me of my drive to Lonavala with a friend almost an year back in an Alto K10. Believe me, the Alto K10 was so much fun to throw around in corners. The Wax Museum had some truly good sculptures and the roads all around Lonavala & Khandala were fantastic.
Quote:
The wipers did their job well but have become noisy.contrary to what some people say i found the wiper design to be quite effective where the glass area cleared is more than in a standard configuration.
, I find Civic's wipers to be more effective in clearing the windshield where it matters, the entire area ahead of the driver's seat.
Quote:
Is that a Ford Mustang in your dashboard?
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 20:31   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hi Sumeet,

Pl do not forget to give the detailed break up of your 40 K service charges.

P.S - when will it be due?
It's at 39.8K now.Will update asap as i get the filter etc changed.Mostly will not go to a HASS and will get it done from my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Ah, at last, you have taken the Civic to where it belongs to....
Is that a Ford Mustang in your dashboard?
Yes ,finally i did.I hope this is just the beginning of things to come.The car on the dashboard , that's a Z28 Camaro.My oldie 800 has racing stripes and i bought the car to match the theme ,sort of. I just carried it over in the Civic.Wanted to get a Maroon/Red car to match the Civic's color but then dropped the idea.
Old 7th October 2012, 20:45   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car on the dashboard , that's a Z28 Camaro.My oldie 800 has racing stripes and i bought the car to match the theme ,sort of. I just carried it over in the Civic.Wanted to get a Maroon/Red car to match the Civic's color but then dropped the idea.
Let me give you a better suggestion. This would be 'the perfect' ornament on your dashboard.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-7802667838_cb5965667a_b.jpg
Image Source: www.8thcivic.com

I have one too, but it is happily parked in my scale model collection. Think about it.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 18:59   #127
Senior - BHPian

Fuel strainer changed + more bad luck.

The car's fuel strainer repalcement was on the back of my mind for a long time.Today i manage to get it replaced from Linkway Honda Andheri.I know if you have read my previous posts i had planned to get the same fixed from my garage man Joe but bhpian Jatin Patil convinced me to take the car to a HASS as it seems he had got a not so original fuel strainer for his Honda from opera house which failed within 10K.

So i booked a appointment with Linkway today and got the strainer replaced.The total came out to 5738 with break up as follows

Fuel strainer 4247
Throttle body cleaning 280
Injector cleaning 674

Rest was miscellaneous vat tax etc.

I had reqeusted the SA for the throttle body and the injector cleaning.I arrived on time to take delivery of the car and at first was dismayed at the cost running close to 6K during the estimate.But when i saw the muck on the old filter(pic below) i was quite pleased that i got the filter change done.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-sr1.jpg

More pics.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2958993

Alas my happiness lasted only momentarily.The thought that i had done something good for the car was replaced by anguish and disdain.When i had made the payment and taken delivery of the car i tried starting the car with the key.But it would not budge.I called the SA who managed to get it to turn by a bit force and i drove home happily thinking that there would be no more major expenses for the car for the next several months except fuel and i can be at peace finally.But no.

I arrived home and stopped my car in front of my building and have to open the gate.By habit i switch off the car and take out the key and then open the gate by getting down.When i get back in the car to my horror the key wouldn't turn however much i tried.I shift the car in neutral so the slope would move the car a bit further giving me enough play in the wheels to twist the steering a bit and then turn the key.Thankfully it starts and i park the car.

After parking i try turning the key but it wouldn't turn again.I then went home and got my duplicate key and it inserts fine and starts the car properly.I called up the Linkway SA and ask him why the key suddenly gave problem when it fine before giving the car to Linkway and he denies anyhting having to do with it.He says that it could be the key barrel or the key itself.For the key barrel the estimate was 12K (wow) and just the key it's 4K.

I instantly call up my mechanic Joe (didn't forget him this time) and explain him the problem.He says that my key is spoiled and that i will have to get a new one made.Now i can't really believe this.I was so happy that my car was close to perfect condition and now this happens.As of now i am using both keys (with remote and w/o remote) in the same key chain.If i lock the keys in the car or lose the key set then i am done for.

Bhpian Frank Mehta has got a new key for his civic for around 4K from Key Masters.As of now i am putting this expense on hold for several months and will continue using both keys together and just have to be real careful about losing or locking the set inside the car.Frankly i am really done with HASS and hope and pray that i never have to visit them ever in my life.I just don't understand why such things keep happening to my car.I just don't seem to have that peace of my mind that one get's to expect from buying a car from one's hard earned money.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 10th November 2012 at 19:10.
Old 11th November 2012, 00:18   #128
BHPian

Can you post a pic of your remote key which is giving you issues ?
and yes the barrel can be a problem too, you might not face it with spare cause the spare key is unused and hence the slots and cuts on the key are sharp and of proper length and dimensions, hence although barrel has a issue its still accepting your spare key.

But with your remote key it might have worn out to the extent that the grooves and cuts of the key are not able to sync completely well with the same in the barrel hence the issue.

I had faced same problem 6months back, got the barrel removed and repaired and required shims inside the barrel replaced and no issues till date after that.

I know the barrel price at HASS is insanely high.

but at the end its still a 15L car when new so parts will be priced the same way.
And regard to cost of fuel filter, look in this way no need of replacing it till 80k kms now
And regard to key, its a problem in civic i suppose bhpian Gavrav from delhi also faced a same issue in his cousins Civic.

P.S- you car is missing the 1.8S monogram.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 11th November 2012 at 00:19.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 12:40   #129
Senior - BHPian

Smooth is the word that comes to my mind after i took the wheel today after yesterday's fuel sytem clean up.Couldn't push the car yesterday due to traffic.The car's fun to drive factor just went up and it has just blasted away all my car related miseries.Heck i was so pleased today i waxed her myslef and she is gleeaaaming.I guess in the end it's worth all the trouble .

I tried to take pics but am not able to get a clear pic as i have a lousy camera phone.(Guess where i divert all my money to.)
Here's the best i could get.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-t1photo0564.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-tphoto0568.jpg

In the first pic i have tried to capture the tip of the key.One can't make out from the picture but the tip of the old key is blunt while the spare key is sharp and you can make out the cross mark.In the second pic the key to the left is the remote key. I guess i may need a new key as it has become incovenient to carry two keys at the same time.My car's parking is such that i cannot open the driver side door without the remote as i have to park close to the balcony grill to make space for the neighbors car.You guys know how parking issues are.So 4k more to be spent from my wallet.Well i can live with it for a while.

@Jatin btw thanks for all your help.I am quite glad i got rid of the old strainer and i happy my car's getting cleaner fuel.The 1.8s logo was missing since the day 1 that i got the car.
Old 23rd March 2013, 20:35   #130
Senior - BHPian

Some updates on the car.

Indy'a doing fine,touch wood, no major issues and horror stories like before.As i said before she would only be taken to Independent garages for any work as i have found from past experience that my car gets jinxed whenever i send it to HASS. As if the Solitaire experience was not enough last time i had sent the car to Linkway Honda for a fuel filter change , she came back with a non-functioning remote key.I am yet to replace the key with a new one and am currently using the spare (non-remote) key as my primary.

Had sent the car to my trusted garage man Joe at Bandra for service. Had purchased 4.5 litres of Mobil 10W 30 mineral oil as recommended by bhpian Jatin. Interestingly i purchased the oil from Pai motors who mentioned that the Civic needs for 4.5 litres of oil whereas i was under impression that it takes only 4.The shop actually did not have total 4 litres of oil but instead had 3.5 litre can an 1 litre can.I queried how much the quantity the Civic will need and was told 4.5 litres. Neverthless i made joe pour in only 4 litres and have brought back the half litre oil back with me.Total break up of cost is as follows.
Oil- 1326 (296 per litre).Total qty bought 4.5 litres
Service- 1600
Total= 2926.

I hope my maintenance costs always remain in this range.
Old 23rd March 2013, 21:56   #131
BHPian

@sumeet Civic does require 4.5Ltr

Check your owners manual as well as your oil dipstick!
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:58   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@sumeet Civic does require 4.5Ltr

Check your owners manual as well as your oil dipstick!
OK i just checked a pdf manual i had downloaded, it says 4.4l or 4.6 US quart.I don't know why i thought it was 4 litres, i guess i will pour in remaining quantity after checking the dipstick.

Thanks man.

Edit: Actually Joe did check the dipstick , i guess i would most probably go back to him rather than risk adding too much oil.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 23rd March 2013 at 23:12.
Old 24th March 2013, 08:07   #133
Senior - BHPian

I wen through the specs in the manual and am attaching same.Seems with filter it' 3.7 litres and without filter it's 4 litres.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-3manual_scan.jpg

Joe's team has left 0.4 litres intact in the 1 litre bottle so that's 4.1 litres which has been poured in with the oil filter.Also going by last 2 bills from Solitaire the poured quantity was 3.7 and 4 litres.So i guess the level should be ok and don't think i would be bothering with it much.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-dsc_0018.jpg

I was also going through some scanned images of bills of other bhpians and can see that the poured quantity ranges from 4 litres to 4.2 litres. Neverthless will keep a strained eye on the orange dipstick and see if the level goes down.I did check it in the morning today and level seems ok.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 13:10   #134
Senior - BHPian

Some Updates.

The dreaded engine mount seems to be on it's way out but it's playing games with me.Last week i observed the gap between the metallic parts had reduced and i was not able to slide my Civic's ignition key inside same.Today after a drive when i came back home i found the gap had increased and i was able to slide the key in again. Some more details here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3100429

I had changed from the Honda Idemitsu oil to Mobil 10W30.At first i did not like the feel of the engine immediately after the change and felt the OE oil was better.But after driving sometime it has started to feel a bit smoother.Somehow i still think the Idemitsu oil is a tad smoother than the Mobil but i guess i am no expert on these things so overall i am happy with the oil change.Also last week i had taken the car to Straight line for it's annual wheel balancing and alignment as i had completed 5K after getting the new tyres. Paid 900 for everything.The steering now feels much tigther and balancen then before.

Here are some pics i took when i went for a short drive to Marine drive.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-m1dsc_0021.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-m1dsc_0022.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-m1dsc_0023.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-m1dsc_0024.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-m1dsc_0025.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-dsc_0026.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-dsc_0027.jpg
Old 1st May 2013, 08:15   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dreaded engine mount seems to be on it's way out but it's playing games with me.Last week i observed the gap between the metallic parts had reduced and i was not able to slide my Civic's ignition key inside same.Today after a drive when i came back home i found the gap had increased and i was able to slide the key in again.
Sumeet, what's happening with your engine mount? Is it going fine or is it busted? Coming back to the problem itself, I wonder what keeps Honda silent on this issue as, looking at the owners in the forum, almost every other Civic experience this failure around the 40,000 km mark.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks