Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 12:30   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
Hmmm I said this (removing battery stuff) becasue in old times it was a normal practice in mahindra jeeps, running jeeps without battery (I myself have done this) may be in modern cars too much complex electricals are involved and a sudden increase in alt power can definitely blow anything.....
Yes you could get away with disconnecting the batt in older generation cars with no electronics in them. But that doesnt hold true any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Now with that premise, coming back to the topic of Civic's OEM SF's mostly reported dying around 2.5 years to 3 years, can it be some of the following topics??

1) All similar rated batteries on Civic live only 2.5 to 3 years on normal stock cars in Indian environment and normal usage?
2) Is the vehicle loading the battery and is in strain all the while, resulting in premature death?
3) Will a higher AH rated battery live long in this scenario?
4) and other similar thoughts.
I think its important to remember that OEM batts are built to a price which is why the mfr offers a 6-12 month warranty on them. These batteries are notoriously flaky. Some go on for 3-7 years and some die in 6 - 24 months. And this is what I have noted from personal experience and friends' experience as well.

Modern alts are pretty reliable and efficient and I dont believe that you are straining the battery unless you drive short distances at low speeds, have tons of aftermarket electronic accessories in the car and generally dont maintain the battery. All things being equal, a higher capacity battery should in theory last longer. But then we get into other aspects like size and related fitting problems etc.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th July 2010 at 12:31.
Old 20th July 2010, 19:51   #872
Senior - BHPian

I would also check out Battery University as recommended reading.

The reason you do not want to unplug your battery while your car is running is that disconnecting the battery terminals will create an unbalanced circuit that'll send current the wrong way all around and fry a lot of delicate things.

@m4 : The mount issue should've cropped up while in warranty. It's a known issue that goes away after the first replacement.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:12   #873
BANNED

What we are driving at is that the battery also serves another additional purpose. It acts as a filter to smooth out the variations, spikes, noise, etc. in the alternator output. Yes, this could be important with modern ECUs. When I was having the problem with the Alternator output (see my Alabaster Silver Civic V AT thread) I saw the bottom of the dash opened up. The wiring to and from the central connection block was far more complex that I could have ever imagined - myriad wires in multiple connectors, thankfully polarized by the pinouts to prevent wrong connections.
Old 21st July 2010, 06:29   #874
Senior - BHPian

And consequently, the wiring looms are seriously more expensive. You get the complete wiring of the car from Honda in three or four major packages. Main engine, auxiliaries, internal and another which I forget. Each of them costs nearly $250. The CAN bus system interconnecting a number of ECUs control everything in the car. The main ECU controls everything from the engine to the air conditioning.
Old 21st July 2010, 09:44   #875
BANNED

Yes, Immortalz. I can quite understand. Also, tells me that one day we may fiber optic cable (yes, fibre is spelt this was here) as a data bus in the car, as in aircraft (first civil plane to be FBW was the Airbus 320). Speed if of no consequence, since even the F17 samples the data only 17 times a second, so only weight is! May reduce a hundred kg in weight! CANBUS is the industry standard automotive bus.
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:11   #876
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know of the paint codes?

I would like to have a small can of Tafeta White handy to touch up very minor nicks/scratches. These do show up quite a bit in a white car.
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:49   #877
Senior - BHPian

Taffeta White is NH-578.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 23rd July 2010 at 18:50.
Old 23rd July 2010, 19:00   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Taffeta White is NH-578.
Wonderful. Is this of any particular brand?

Where can I buy some, in India.

Found this site Honda Insight*Taffeta White
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:07   #879
Senior - BHPian

There is a shop in Cochin where all the dealers in Kerala source their paints from. Misty Violet Pearl, the paint on my car, is discontinued and this shop got them a new formula that matches almost perfectly. I'll call up the service advisor and see if I can get you contact details.
Old 25th July 2010, 23:04   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Did more than 500 kms and the blower problem did not come again.
I am on my way back from chd to noida and sitting at sukhdev... Just faced the same problem as mentioned of no air but blower sound as normal..... Seems ice formation is the case but my q is.... Does it means faulty thermostat? If yes then will it be covered in warranty as i am nto comfortable with this issue as it might come again......
Old 26th July 2010, 12:16   #881
BHPian

Update... After having my dinner I used the solution provided in the same thread and used blower only with outside air intake option and after 10-15 min. drive ac started working perfectly fine till Noida and in morning also it was perfect....

Let’s see if this problem occurs again otherwise I think I can forget this as one of problem which occurs rarely.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:03   #882
BANNED

@lalitk25: You just proved that it was an iced up evaporator. Reasons can be lint (sometimes leaves) in the evaporator. , I suggest you give the evaporator a really good blast with a portable air blower (or a vacuum on blow). This problem will occur only in the rainy season. Another cause (more common in room splits) is the blower fins getting badly gummed up with lint. Some disassembly may be required to get to the rear side of the evaporator.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:22   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I suggest you give the evaporator a really good blast with a portable air blower (or a vacuum on blow). This problem will occur only in the rainy season.
I think you explained it right.
Now my q. is how to clean evaporator from portable air blower.
I do have a portable vaccume cleaner with blower on its rear end can you please explain me how to do this?
Old 26th July 2010, 14:57   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Does anyone know of the paint codes?

I would like to have a small can of Tafeta White handy to touch up very minor nicks/scratches. These do show up quite a bit in a white car.
I need help with the paint code for 'Polished Metal Metallic' for my Civic. Have two small scratches to be touched up. Also, from where do we source these? Thanks
Old 26th July 2010, 15:06   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I need help with the paint code for 'Polished Metal Metallic' for my Civic. Have two small scratches to be touched up. Also, from where do we source these? Thanks
Most of the paint codes can be googled out. See the link below

2010 Honda Civic Touch Up Paint Colors

Polished Metal Metallic is NH737M

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks