Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:56   #1156
BANNED

I find Collinite, in say, once in three months more than adequate.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:49   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Jatin you car looks brilliant!
Wow you changed the brake pads yourself? Well done!
And from where'd you get the brake pads from? They are much cheaper than whats available at the authorised service outlets.

All the best and have fun.
What is the price of OEM break pads from honda showroom. Mine is 37K on odo and I think the change is very near.......
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:06   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Front and rear pads are around 4.5k + taxes.
Front discs are roughly 2.3k + taxes each
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:57   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@hirenmistry
I got the brake pads from Shetty motors opera house I get all the parts for my all 3cars from there only.If you go there meet Mr.Ravi you can refer him my name.
Lovely will head down to that shop next time I am in that part of the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I use collinite every 2 weeks
And I wash the car every Sunday along with a coat of Sonax Auto Polish. Next I want to try using something to get rid of the swirls.
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:21   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@spadix
In that case instead do a Teflon coat every 6months and after use of the vehicle in dusty environment just dust off the Dust..with a extremely soft duster.

For water cleaning first very very very throughly wet it with water then clean with soft hard of microfibre cloth I give this treatment to my black beauty lancer and she's still looks awsome.I know this is very time consuming but water was you can do twice a week and dusting whenever you feel that there Is a lot of dust.
Thanks for the tips, jatinpatel.

The Honda dealer charged me 8k INR as "handling charges" (basically the so-called Teflon coating) despite my repeated pleas to not get it done. Ultimately, the so-called Teflon they put was just that. Dust just *sticks* to the surface like crazy. In fact it's so bad that even after a wet wash - albeit not very thorough, and I have no clue how to do it thoroughly without applying pressure - I can still see dust sticking to the paint. At that point I have no option but to rely on a really wet sponge/soft cotton cloth and wipe off the dust using as little pressure as possible. Sometimes a little more pressure is required to dislodge it.

My current routine is around 2/3 wet washes a week. No dry dusting in between (because of the stickiness of the dust).

The way I look at it, the following things are required -

1. Get a coat of real Teflon (or some nice car wax at least)
2. During washing allow the car to soak in shampoo water for as long as possible
3. Rinse and dry
4. Liquid wax
5. Professional wax/Teflon (and polish if required) every few months (basically loop back to Step 1)

To that extent I've recently obtained the following supplies courtesy of a friend flying down from the US - a couple of really good microfiber towels (one for absorbing all the water and another for simultaneous drying + liquid wax application), a bottle of paint-friendly car shampoo and another bottle of liquid car wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thank you for the tip, Professor! I have bought a bottle of Optimum Car Wax (the liquid variety). I basically followed the recommendations from this thread (specifically, this tutorial linked to on that thread). The tutorial refers to an Acura (2006 TL, to be specific), and since Honda is the parent brand something tells me the paint treatment should be similar. I'll research Collinite as well. It could be my next purchase once the Optimum runs out.

@hiren: There is a bunch of those "swirl remover" waxes. I wonder how they work and how effective they are.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 3rd December 2010 at 13:23.
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:02   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Using a clay bar would provide the biggest positive impact on the surface of the paint. My car out of the showroom looked clean but was rough to touch at many places. Using a clay bar helped to make it a super smooth finish and then applying wax on that will be much more durable.
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:17   #1162
BHPian

75K Service

75k Service over, for Rs.982/-
Overall FE for 3.5 years is 12.1 kmpl.
Highway drives are very enjoyable!

Had a problem just one day before service, the bonnet-release-lever would not work.
I was not able to open the bonnet.
Spraying some lubricant during service solved it.

(Next service at 80K is major and can take two days)
Old 4th December 2010, 12:55   #1163
BANNED

I have never been a Teflon fan. Mostly they use wax and call it Teflon. This strictly is illegal sibce Teflon is a registered brand of duPont.

Basically Poly Tetra Fluoro ethylene (PTFE) as a soft material and will not last for much time in our abrasive atmosphere.

Any good hard wax coating is what is needed, brand immaterial. Most of the harder waxes come in the form of a water based emulsion and not as a paste. Carnuba is also used as a Gneric, but also includes the relatively softer waxes.
Old 4th December 2010, 18:21   #1164
BHPian

Well for my City i was charged 7100 for Paint protection and Anti Rust.
All products used are 3M original.
For first time they used a 3M ultra mild rubbing compound, clayed the car and then waxed it with original 3M paste Wax. For next two times they shampooed the car with 3M shampoo, rubbed with 3M compound, waxed the car. They also applied 3M interior dressing for dashboard, and 3M engine and tyre dressing.
Even the glasses are cleaned using 3M glass cleaners. All in all i am quite satisfied with the job.More so because all of it was done in front of me.
Old 4th December 2010, 18:50   #1165
Senior - BHPian

@zoom_vroom,

Was this 3M job done at Classic Honda or elsewhere. If it is the latter but in NCR could you provide the contact details. Thank you.
Old 5th December 2010, 10:08   #1166
BHPian

Yeah it was done at Classic Honda only yaar.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:26   #1167
Senior - BHPian

First Paid Service

My Civic is due for its first paid service this month and I have clocked only 2.5k on the odo. During the third free service, the SA advised not to change the oil as the number of kms did not warrant it. However, this time am sure he is going to insist on it. Should I still go in for the oil change not withstanding the fact that the car has less kms on the odo ? If so, should I stick to regular and not opt for synthetic at this point of time ? Thanks
Old 8th December 2010, 14:03   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Paid Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
My Civic is due for its first paid service this month and I have clocked only 2.5k on the odo. During the third free service, the SA advised not to change the oil as the number of kms did not warrant it. However, this time am sure he is going to insist on it. Should I still go in for the oil change not withstanding the fact that the car has less kms on the odo ? If so, should I stick to regular and not opt for synthetic at this point of time ? Thanks
If you have not run 5000 kms after your last service, dont even get the oil changed. If they insist, stick to mineral oil as long as your mileage is less than 10k. I had 6000+ on my odo on my third free service, and asked them to fill only mineral oil.
Old 12th December 2010, 20:25   #1169
BHPian

Civic Headlamp upgrade with stock setup.

May be it is not the right thread for my q. but still I am asking here.
The north indian winters are here and I am thinking of upgrading my civic's headlamp.
My requirement is I dont want to change anything in the stock setup (wiring and holder unit) only want to increase the light and both high and low beam considering it can help in fog days.
Also planning to put fog lamps like V model (I have 1.8 S)
can someone help me in choosing the lapmps I was thinking something like phillips x-treme not sure about the exact watt and more.

PS: My car's extended warranty is getting oven in Feb 2011 so no issue on that front.

Last edited by lalitk25 : 12th December 2010 at 20:27.
Old 12th December 2010, 23:44   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Re: Civic Headlamp upgrade with stock setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
My requirement is I dont want to change anything in the stock setup (wiring and holder unit) only want to increase the light and both high and low beam considering it can help in fog days.
Also planning to put fog lamps like V model (I have 1.8 S)
You can use Philips Xtreme or the Osram Nightbreakers. They give more light with the same wattage as the stock set up so no need to change anything or add high wattage relays etc. The stock wattage should be 55/60W, you can get this information from your owner's manual.

The head lamps however are useless in fog however bright they might be, unless one has HID Xenons in proper OE projector lens which have integrated fog lights.

For foggy conditions get original Honda fog lights installed and use them with your parking lights to drive in foggy conditions these will be your best bet. The after market ones are just cosmetic. I would recommend that you get rear fog lights too if these are available. These are more to make drivers behind you aware of your vehicle's position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks